BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by DaveL
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by DaveL Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.

Where is your dream job?  What is your dream job?  Clearly it's not playing Property Brothers' contractor ;-)

okay, story time. I went into a business program in college at 19 in-spite of my parents insistence that I should be looking at the trades, specifically electrical. I as a 19 year old knew better but after 15+ years of hating work in business I decided to go back to school into and electrical engineering program. My dad worked at Bruce Power as a Control Technician for most of his career and I had set high hopes and expectations of getting there as well. For the last 5 years I have straddled the 2 worlds as a sort of hybrid tech support / presales eng / product manager for a industrial electronics/electrical sales company. Its been a long haul including a year long evaluation process (interviews and testing) and it seems that I have overshot my expectations and ended up being offered the role of Nuclear Operator which basically oversees the operation of the Nuclear plant. The move is to Kincardine - a small lake side town where I grew up. My wife and I are both from small towns and pretty much hate the city and I am looking forward to not sitting in traffic for 2.5 to 3hrs per day.

Very cool, congratulations!

Wow, congratulations!!!

2016-11-02 11:07 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Had a surprise in Strava this morning as some guy I never heard of before gave a bunch of Kudos. We don't follow each other. We're not in any of the same groups or clubs. I have enhanced privacy on. He's in a completely different part of the country, and no fly-bys. Some of these were indoor rides, so no GPS data. Still trying to figure out how.

I took a look at Strava after reading this. Turns out some guy from Austin just gave me kudos on my last 6 activities. I really haven't given too much thought to the random follow or kudo, but this just struck me as weird.

Mine was an Erik Binggeser from Austin. Same for you? I messaged Strava about this. Might be a few days before hearing back.

Mine is a Dallas guy which is what freaks me out the most. As far as I know he can see all my short neighborhood runs.
2016-11-02 11:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DaveL Just a quick check in. Training has more or less ground to a hault. A combination of taking a break after my 50k run and in mid October I was offered a dream job which starts in January but also requires a move. The past few weeks have been filled with painting, repairing tiles, cleaning, and starting to pack up 12 years of stuff in an effort to declutter. Realestate is taking pictures later this week so once thats done the showings start. Hoping to have things wrapped up for December then back to normal.

Where is your dream job?  What is your dream job?  Clearly it's not playing Property Brothers' contractor ;-)

okay, story time. I went into a business program in college at 19 in-spite of my parents insistence that I should be looking at the trades, specifically electrical. I as a 19 year old knew better but after 15+ years of hating work in business I decided to go back to school into and electrical engineering program. My dad worked at Bruce Power as a Control Technician for most of his career and I had set high hopes and expectations of getting there as well. For the last 5 years I have straddled the 2 worlds as a sort of hybrid tech support / presales eng / product manager for a industrial electronics/electrical sales company. Its been a long haul including a year long evaluation process (interviews and testing) and it seems that I have overshot my expectations and ended up being offered the role of Nuclear Operator which basically oversees the operation of the Nuclear plant. The move is to Kincardine - a small lake side town where I grew up. My wife and I are both from small towns and pretty much hate the city and I am looking forward to not sitting in traffic for 2.5 to 3hrs per day.

Very cool, congratulations!

Wow, congratulations!!!

Very nice!

2016-11-02 12:03 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook

Had a surprise in Strava this morning as some guy I never heard of before gave a bunch of Kudos. We don't follow each other. We're not in any of the same groups or clubs. I have enhanced privacy on. He's in a completely different part of the country, and no fly-bys. Some of these were indoor rides, so no GPS data. Still trying to figure out how.

I took a look at Strava after reading this. Turns out some guy from Austin just gave me kudos on my last 6 activities. I really haven't given too much thought to the random follow or kudo, but this just struck me as weird.

Mine was an Erik Binggeser from Austin. Same for you? I messaged Strava about this. Might be a few days before hearing back.

Mine is a Dallas guy which is what freaks me out the most. As far as I know he can see all my short neighborhood runs.

Yours sounds like an (over)eager/excited guy in your area. Getting into the privacy settings should take care of things there. Chris and I are at least several states away. And in my case the privacy was circumvented somehow.

My brother has his more open, so gets an occasional guy like yours. He's had some try giving unsolicited advice making a number of (bad) assumptions in the process. Usually like he doesn't know anything. We already talk about bikes, training, and such things fairly regular. He also works at Trek HQ and knows like everyone there & all over the place. Not lacking in resources. He tolerates that more than I do.

2016-11-02 12:05 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Strava Privacy settings: are you getting kudos from people you don't know with Enhanced Privacy Mode on?

2016-11-02 12:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

Strava Privacy settings: are you getting kudos from people you don't know with Enhanced Privacy Mode on?

Just the one guy, but yes. It is possible to see individual workouts through groups, leaderboards, or segments, but I was getting them on trainer rides from a guy who matches up in nothing. Hence asking about it.

2016-11-02 1:11 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo!  Congrats!  That's quite a promotion. 

I googled Kincardine.  Pretty light house :-)

2016-11-02 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by TXTriRook

• To to your Strava settings (https://www.strava.com/settings/profile)
    • Select Privacy from the left
    • Check your Enhanced Privacy setting (approve followers, this breaks down bit if you are in groups though)
    • Check your Hidden Locations.  I have hidden the area immediately around my home and my office.  This can be set from 1/8 mile to 5/8 mile.
2016-11-02 1:21 PM

User image

Just the one guy, but yes. It is possible to see individual workouts through groups, leaderboards, or segments, but I was getting them on trainer rides from a guy who matches up in nothing. Hence asking about it.

The Strava map thing makes me a bit nervous. For the past two summers, there have been break-ins in our area and the only things stolen are the high-end bikes. Everyone who had the break-ins were triathlete or cyclists who used Strava and were not using any of the security features. The bad guys would find where the good bikes were as Strava led them right to the houses.

Kinda creepy that strangers can follow us through groups and such even though our accounts are at the highest settings.
2016-11-02 1:40 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo

The Strava map thing makes me a bit nervous. For the past two summers, there have been break-ins in our area and the only things stolen are the high-end bikes. Everyone who had the break-ins were triathlete or cyclists who used Strava and were not using any of the security features. The bad guys would find where the good bikes were as Strava led them right to the houses. Kinda creepy that strangers can follow us through groups and such even though our accounts are at the highest settings.

That is scary!  People also find their homes burglarized when they come back from outings that they have posted all over FB or other social media sites. You have to be careful with your information.

2016-11-02 2:14 PM

Master
Northern IL

The Strava map thing makes me a bit nervous. For the past two summers, there have been break-ins in our area and the only things stolen are the high-end bikes. Everyone who had the break-ins were triathlete or cyclists who used Strava and were not using any of the security features. The bad guys would find where the good bikes were as Strava led them right to the houses. Kinda creepy that strangers can follow us through groups and such even though our accounts are at the highest settings.

That is scary!  People also find their homes burglarized when they come back from outings that they have posted all over FB or other social media sites. You have to be careful with your information.

Yeah, definitely look at some privacy settings. Can do other things like misname the bikes, or don't put it in. Something like Cervelo P5 is going to draw some attention. Mine shouldn't, but something like the road bike looks like it should be a much better bike than it is.

2016-11-02 2:16 PM

User image

Wow, that's very scary! I just turned on some privacy, thanks for the step by step instructions! It's unfortunate that something as enjoyable as sharing workouts / seeing what your friends are up to can lead to stalkers and theft. I'll have to find some junkyard bikes to add to my Strava pics to throw off the stalkers. Would be funny to see what the "local experts" would say then.

2016-11-02 4:15 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Same dude. I've blocked him, but that is only 75% effective. From Strava:

Blocking an Athlete will

• Remove him/her from your list of followers
  • Remove yourself from his/her followers and Activity Feed
  • Prevent him/her from following you again, seeing your Profile details, or activity details in the Feed
  • Someone you've blocked will be able to view your activities from public areas like leaderboards, club pages and segment explore.

This type of thing could drive a person nuts. It will block them from this, but not that. I agree with whoever stated (Justin, Ann Marie, ???) that something we use for fun or simple workout tracking can be used so easily by someone with ill intent. Some of us use it without much thought. Sad that we have to go so strongly after the privacy piece.

2016-11-02 4:28 PM

User image

Seattle

Has  anyone been following the trail runner Dave Mackey's story? Geeze. 

TL;DR Version to save you some google-time

2004: Ultra Runner of the Year USATF

2005: Ultra Runner of the Year USATF

2007: R2R2R FKT

2011: North America Ultra Runner of the Year, 

2015: Took a (horrific) fall on bear peak, mangling his leg 

He underwent something like 7 surgeries shortly after the accident and they were able to save his leg.

He's since had several more surgeries and rehab. Surgeries and rehab. But made the decision to amputate (which took place yesterday)

I can't imagine making that decision! 

2016-11-02 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

That is weird! I've had a few unknowns give me kudos, but I don't have enhanced privacy on. Still, it always surprises me when some random person does that - especially since I'm not exactly tearing it up!

i don't use strava but is it possible that this is someone who is trying to get you to respond so that they can then they can get access to more information about you, or possibly hack your system (I know I'm cynical).

And i guess I will leave the pod now - don't drink coffee and don't drink beer or wine and don't use strava that's 3 strikes right
2016-11-02 5:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed

He underwent something like 7 surgeries shortly after the accident and they were able to save his leg.

He's since had several more surgeries and rehab. Surgeries and rehab. But made the decision to amputate (which took place yesterday)

Not being an ultra runner, I had never heard of him until last week when I saw a tweet about him having his leg amputated.  I thought his outlook on it was really good/positive.  Can't imagine making it either, but I guess with that many surgeries and pain, it was probably made easier.  I get the feeling he won't let it stop him completely.

2016-11-02 5:30 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

The Strava map thing makes me a bit nervous. For the past two summers, there have been break-ins in our area and the only things stolen are the high-end bikes. Everyone who had the break-ins were triathlete or cyclists who used Strava and were not using any of the security features. The bad guys would find where the good bikes were as Strava led them right to the houses.

Kinda creepy that strangers can follow us through groups and such even though our accounts are at the highest settings.
I believe that there have been similar issues here in Australia too, hence my last comment about someone trying to access more of your information.
2016-11-02 6:59 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Same dude. I've blocked him, but that is only 75% effective. From Strava:

Blocking an Athlete will

• Remove him/her from your list of followers
  • Remove yourself from his/her followers and Activity Feed
  • Prevent him/her from following you again, seeing your Profile details, or activity details in the Feed
  • Someone you've blocked will be able to view your activities from public areas like leaderboards, club pages and segment explore.

This type of thing could drive a person nuts. It will block them from this, but not that. I agree with whoever stated (Justin, Ann Marie, ???) that something we use for fun or simple workout tracking can be used so easily by someone with ill intent. Some of us use it without much thought. Sad that we have to go so strongly after the privacy piece.

Yeah, saw the blocking earlier. It doesn't seem to do anything that I'm not already doing. He never followed in the first place, really, as I've had it set to "Request to follow" for about as long as I've been on there. It just makes it one easy step for people.

Edited by brigby1 2016-11-02 7:03 PM
2016-11-02 7:00 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by StaceyK

That is weird! I've had a few unknowns give me kudos, but I don't have enhanced privacy on. Still, it always surprises me when some random person does that - especially since I'm not exactly tearing it up!

i don't use strava but is it possible that this is someone who is trying to get you to respond so that they can then they can get access to more information about you, or possibly hack your system (I know I'm cynical). And i guess I will leave the pod now - don't drink coffee and don't drink beer or wine and don't use strava that's 3 strikes right

People do that, but the weird (and concerning) part here is that he should not be able to based off the privacy I've set up. Not too different from BT when only friends can see your logs and not everyone on the site. Somehow he got through that.

ETA: I've thought of contacting directly via responding on his posts, but hesitating due to what what you're thinking here. My brother had some guy duplicating a couple months worth of his files a little bit ago, but turned out to be the guy who bought his garmin. Just hadn't cleared all the old ones before connecting. I just don't know here, so seeing what ideas comes up to check out. 

Edited by brigby1 2016-11-02 7:13 PM
2016-11-02 7:02 PM
in reply to: IronOx

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Not being an ultra runner, I had never heard of him until last week when I saw a tweet about him having his leg amputated.  I thought his outlook on it was really good/positive.  Can't imagine making it either, but I guess with that many surgeries and pain, it was probably made easier.  I get the feeling he won't let it stop him completely.

Hadn't seen this, jeez!

2016-11-02 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

This is why I always start my runs not in front of my house, but at a road corner nearby.

2016-11-03 3:52 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
That is why I don't log my training on Strava or sites like that. I have my Garmin Connect set to private. As a woman who lives alone and has a nice bike, I don't need any more visibility than that. (Anyway, the chance of someone stalking me here are maybe not high...) I have had a stalking issue a few times before getting into tri, and it has made me pretty wary of anything that broadcasts my detailed location (or that of my bike) at predictable times.

I realise others are more into social media and sharing with friends and/or random strangers, but that comes at a cost of loss of privacy, sometimes despite efforts to control privacy settings.
2016-11-03 6:21 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner That is why I don't log my training on Strava or sites like that. I have my Garmin Connect set to private. As a woman who lives alone and has a nice bike, I don't need any more visibility than that. (Anyway, the chance of someone stalking me here are maybe not high...) I have had a stalking issue a few times before getting into tri, and it has made me pretty wary of anything that broadcasts my detailed location (or that of my bike) at predictable times. I realise others are more into social media and sharing with friends and/or random strangers, but that comes at a cost of loss of privacy, sometimes despite efforts to control privacy settings.

This is why I don't use Strava. I,too, had a stalking incident that shook me too my core. A friend had someone show up at her house that said they "knew her" and indeed, he knew a lot about her habits... from logging  the GPS data on her workouts. Scary stuff and sad that it can happen.

2016-11-03 6:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Woo hoo!  Congrats!  That's quite a promotion. 

I googled Kincardine.  Pretty light house :-)

What a pretty place and WOW, great job  opportunity.

2016-11-03 7:20 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Hot Runner That is why I don't log my training on Strava or sites like that. I have my Garmin Connect set to private. As a woman who lives alone and has a nice bike, I don't need any more visibility than that. (Anyway, the chance of someone stalking me here are maybe not high...) I have had a stalking issue a few times before getting into tri, and it has made me pretty wary of anything that broadcasts my detailed location (or that of my bike) at predictable times. I realise others are more into social media and sharing with friends and/or random strangers, but that comes at a cost of loss of privacy, sometimes despite efforts to control privacy settings.

This is why I don't use Strava. I,too, had a stalking incident that shook me too my core. A friend had someone show up at her house that said they "knew her" and indeed, he knew a lot about her habits... from logging  the GPS data on her workouts. Scary stuff and sad that it can happen.

At this point, nothing that I've set entirely to private has received a comment or anything. It's only the filtering of shared ones, as I don't share everything put in there.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.