BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-05-26 2:23 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer I am hinking of doing the Sufferfest yogs/strength stuff. The subscription yoga sites ate all $99+ so doing a cycling/tri specific program for that price seems fine to me. Plus I think that I might want to do the Tour de Sufferlandria ndria next year. Have you found those parts of The Sufferfest to be beneficial and/or enjoyable? I'm happy with the Endurance Nation plans and I really like Coach Patrick. I want to layer the yoga and strength with thd EN plans (yoga for sure but will also look at the strength stuff). I know that there are at least two Sufferfest subscribers here do I thought I'd ask here. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

To expand on the Strava comment, some reasons I like the yoga in the Sufferfest are: they are bike focused; most are only 15 minutes; its just the yoga and none of the get your chakra aligned messages ; the instructor is clear; there are beginner through advanced videos; and they seem to work. I haven’t done any in 10 days or so, gotta get back to them.

I did the tour of sufferlandria this year, it wasn’t an optimal time for me to do it with strep throat to start and then hanging at the ICU for a few days, but I liked it and plan on doing it again 2020. Just wish I had won a super fancy smart trainer to replace my not very fancy one!

2019-05-26 2:37 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by jmkizer I am hinking of doing the Sufferfest yogs/strength stuff. The subscription yoga sites ate all $99+ so doing a cycling/tri specific program for that price seems fine to me. Plus I think that I might want to do the Tour de Sufferlandria ndria next year. Have you found those parts of The Sufferfest to be beneficial and/or enjoyable? I'm happy with the Endurance Nation plans and I really like Coach Patrick. I want to layer the yoga and strength with thd EN plans (yoga for sure but will also look at the strength stuff). I know that there are at least two Sufferfest subscribers here do I thought I'd ask here. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

To expand on the Strava comment, some reasons I like the yoga in the Sufferfest are: they are bike focused; most are only 15 minutes; its just the yoga and none of the get your chakra aligned messages ; the instructor is clear; there are beginner through advanced videos; and they seem to work. I haven’t done any in 10 days or so, gotta get back to them.

I did the tour of sufferlandria this year, it wasn’t an optimal time for me to do it with strep throat to start and then hanging at the ICU for a few days, but I liked it and plan on doing it again 2020. Just wish I had won a super fancy smart trainer to replace my not very fancy one!

Thanks for the feedback! I think that this will be a good option for me. It's also a good time of year to start and annual subscription -- I hate having everything come due around the holidays!

P.S. Zoe just came in to say hi to all of you!

2019-05-26 5:18 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Well, Goose Pond is a wrap.

Decent swim, fun bike, death march on the run.
2019-05-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
On a related note, does anyone have experience with TrainerRoad, Zwift, or similar? I am finishing up the plan I've been doing in a few weeks and would like to transition for the rest of the year into something more ambitious as far as quality and long rides. Looking for 3-4 key rides a week to maintain/increase my FTP and endurance. (Maybe starting at 4 rides and moving down to three if/when I start putting more time into running if I enter a full or half marathon.) Long rides in the 2-3 hour range for now. All on the trainer. I think the group knows my situation. If I do ride outside this summer, it will probably just be occasionally for pleasure, due to residual issues from the injury, rough local roads, and lack of riding companions at the appropriate speed (or lack thereof).

Looking for structured, challenging trainer workouts. I don't require much in the way of entertainment or a social aspect, as I am fine with my videos and music player. I have a power meter, Garmin, and "dumb trainer"; not particularly willing to upgrade at this time. Any recommendations appreciated!

Hi, Zoe! From me and my fur kids (Shelby, Smudgee, and Tomoko)

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-05-26 5:22 PM
2019-05-26 5:37 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner On a related note, does anyone have experience with TrainerRoad, Zwift, or similar? I am finishing up the plan I've been doing in a few weeks and would like to transition for the rest of the year into something more ambitious as far as quality and long rides. Looking for 3-4 key rides a week to maintain/increase my FTP and endurance. (Maybe starting at 4 rides and moving down to three if/when I start putting more time into running if I enter a full or half marathon.) Long rides in the 2-3 hour range for now. All on the trainer. I think the group knows my situation. If I do ride outside this summer, it will probably just be occasionally for pleasure, due to residual issues from the injury, rough local roads, and lack of riding companions at the appropriate speed (or lack thereof). Looking for structured, challenging trainer workouts. I don't require much in the way of entertainment or a social aspect, as I am fine with my videos and music player. I have a power meter, Garmin, and "dumb trainer"; not particularly willing to upgrade at this time. Any recommendations appreciated! Hi, Zoe! From me and my fur kids (Shelby, Smudgee, and Tomoko)

I've done zwift and trainer road and then made the switch to the sufferfest. IMHO it is the best of the trio. Zwift is good if you want to train/race against others and TR has some good videos, but sufferfest -for me, provides better workouts, better training plans, good videos , and you can do yoga, strength, and mental toughness workouts if you want. I've been doing sufferfest since December and haven't gotten bored. Pretty sure there is a free 7 day trial.

2019-05-26 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks; will check out the free trial situation once I get closer to finishing up the plan I'm on now. Also possible I'll just ask my coach for a plan, but it seems silly when I'm not planning to race at all this year, at least triathlon. Yoga/strength might be useful as well; I think I have the mental toughness part covered with surgery and screws in bones without narcotic painkillers (they just made me puke) and PT that involves a couple of hours a day of forcibly bending/straightening a joint that would really rather just stay stuck in one place!

2019-05-26 9:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner On a related note, does anyone have experience with TrainerRoad, Zwift, or similar? I am finishing up the plan I've been doing in a few weeks and would like to transition for the rest of the year into something more ambitious as far as quality and long rides. Looking for 3-4 key rides a week to maintain/increase my FTP and endurance. (Maybe starting at 4 rides and moving down to three if/when I start putting more time into running if I enter a full or half marathon.) Long rides in the 2-3 hour range for now. All on the trainer. I think the group knows my situation. If I do ride outside this summer, it will probably just be occasionally for pleasure, due to residual issues from the injury, rough local roads, and lack of riding companions at the appropriate speed (or lack thereof). Looking for structured, challenging trainer workouts. I don't require much in the way of entertainment or a social aspect, as I am fine with my videos and music player. I have a power meter, Garmin, and "dumb trainer"; not particularly willing to upgrade at this time. Any recommendations appreciated! Hi, Zoe! From me and my fur kids (Shelby, Smudgee, and Tomoko)

I think that all three programs -- The Sufferfest, Zwift, and Trainer Road -- are quite good. All three offer a way for you to pair your power meter, cadence sensor, heart rate, etc. All three have some structured training programs. Zwift and Trainer Road allow you to enter custom workouts from your coach. Trainer Road and The Sufferfest are $99/yr. Zwift is $15/month. The Sufferfest and Zwift both have a free trial.

Here's are two fairly current article comparing the three: 

2019-05-26 9:37 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Thanks; will check out the free trial situation once I get closer to finishing up the plan I'm on now. Also possible I'll just ask my coach for a plan, but it seems silly when I'm not planning to race at all this year, at least triathlon. Yoga/strength might be useful as well; I think I have the mental toughness part covered with surgery and screws in bones without narcotic painkillers (they just made me puke) and PT that involves a couple of hours a day of forcibly bending/straightening a joint that would really rather just stay stuck in one place!

I'm pretty sure that you have the mental toughness down!

I think you'll do well with one of these plans. 

2019-05-27 9:14 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

I think that all three programs -- The Sufferfest, Zwift, and Trainer Road -- are quite good. All three offer a way for you to pair your power meter, cadence sensor, heart rate, etc. All three have some structured training programs. Zwift and Trainer Road allow you to enter custom workouts from your coach. Trainer Road and The Sufferfest are $99/yr. Zwift is $15/month. The Sufferfest and Zwift both have a free trial.

Here's are two fairly current article comparing the three: 

Good points Janyne! I meant to say in my original post that you use Zwift with your training plan, so are probably a better person than I to speak to all things Zwift! Also, Lisa uses trainer road, so she can probably chime in with her experience. Jim can add to the sufferfest discussion. Sufferfest has a 13$ /month plan too if you don't want to commit to a year .

2019-05-27 9:21 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by glfprncs

Congrats on finishing it. Race report? I love a good race report.
2019-05-27 9:37 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Well, Goose Pond is a wrap. Decent swim, fun bike, death march on the run.

Can't wait for the RR! Congrats !!

2019-05-27 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

I've done zwift and trainer road and then made the switch to the sufferfest. IMHO it is the best of the trio. Zwift is good if you want to train/race against others and TR has some good videos, but sufferfest -for me, provides better workouts, better training plans, good videos , and you can do yoga, strength, and mental toughness workouts if you want. I've been doing sufferfest since December and haven't gotten bored. Pretty sure there is a free 7 day trial.

Everything Ann Marie said plus:
I've been doing The Sufferfest for several years and really like it. For me it's a good combination of encouragement along with emotional abuse. Unlike trainer road the videos are interesting and engaging. My problem with Swift is I don't know how to shut off and recover, unless I'm told to and it becomes a time trial for me.
This year I've done more strength/hill work, because my nect big race has more hills.
2019-05-27 10:33 AM

User image

Expert

Congratulations!
2019-05-27 7:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Goose Pond Island half iron-May 26, 2019

Up at 4:15, leisurely breakfast and a cup of coffee. Headed to venue at 5:20 to arrive at 5:30. Scottsboro, AL is in central time zone, so it was really light even that early. Parking was steps away from transition, so aired up tires and loaded up water and nutrition at the car and wheeled Simon to rack.

Very small race. Less than 260 in half and sprint races, so there was ample room to rack bikes which was a dream come true.

Swim was in a shallow lake and the water temp was 86 degrees!!!!!!! Women went off in wave 3 at 7:09 a m. I'd been sick all week and still had some upper respiratory crud, so I struggled a little at the start. I was pretty wheezy and the woman next to me insisted on swimming on top of me for 25 strokes or so. I couldn't get away from her, so I finally had enough and gave her a little elbow nudge and had some room. At this point I wasn't feeling so good, so had to talk myself back to a longer, more glidey swim stroke to get my together. Finally felt better about 500 yards in and the rest of the swim was fine. Finished just under 41 minutes.

I was excited about the bike course. Gentle rollers through pretty farmland in a valley. I followed orders and started out at a higher rpm and lower wattage and built through the first hour. I then kept it at 65%-70% of ftp for most of the ride, backing off the last 30 minutes as I was starting to feel the heat. I really struggle with my variability index and was pleased to get an "atta girl" from my coach for a VI of 1.05. My heartrate stayed really stable even though the temps were in the low 90s once I got off the bike. The best thing is that I love my bike, Simon. It's SO much more comfortable than my Felt was and I can just hunker down in aero and not have to focus on how much pain I'm in.

Then we ran...sort of. Truly, it was a death march. The heat in the South started 10 days ago out of the blue. We are 8 degrees higher than average and dealing with temps we usually don't see until July. I don't tolerate the heat at all when I run, and I haven't found a solution with regards to adaptation. It was a long, hot slog. There were ample aid stations that had water, Base hydro and lots of ice. I was glad to finish. Temps during the run were mid 90s.

About 45 min later I was sick as can be. Felt faint and ready to puke. Finally felt better an hour later. I've felt ill every time I've finished a half iron race. Not sure if it's a blood pressure thing post race, a heat thing, a hydration thing or a perfect storm combination of all 3.
I was pretty excited that I didn't feel nauseated on the run (which has happened every half I've done to this point), but was frustrated that the nausea arrive shortly thereafter. I've really worked with my nutrition and hydration plan the past 8 months to get things worked out to prevent the nausea after the bike, and was hoping I'd found a solution. Maybe I have and this is simply how my body reacts after the exertion. I just hope it can handle twice the distance in 19 weeks.

Dinner with friends who surprised me with a 48th birthday cake.

This was a nice local tri. The RD also runs IM Chattanooga & Chatt 70.3. You really needed to drive the bike and run courses as there weren't many people to follow and the run had a few quirky spots. Those of us who took the time to drive it were fine. Those who didn't found themselves completely lost and added 3+ miles to an already long, hot run. I'd go again if it promised to be 10 degrees cooler. Plus, it was $125. Entry + hotel + expenses still cheaper than Augusta 70.3 in my backyard.

I'm now searching for a half that is non ocean, sleeveless wetsuit legal, rolling bike, flatter run with cooler temps for the future.

Edited by glfprncs 2019-05-27 8:33 PM
2019-05-27 9:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Oh, that run sounds yucky! Shades of Vietnam 70.3. Even the year I qualified for Worlds, it felt like a death march. And the other two years, when I was (first year) really sick with upper respiratory crud and (third year) just coming off an injury with little run fitness, it was a true death march. I'm guessing that your issues may have been a combo of being sick and the heat. I've noticed that having any kind of viral infection really reduces my heat tolerance, including the ability to happily keep down nutrition. You didn't mention if taking asthma or cold meds but a lot of those, particularly decongestants and antihistamines, will affect heat tolerance as well.

If you are wiling to travel, could recommend Calgary 70.3. Swim has always been wetsuit legal (in a small lake), bike is flat to rolling and fast; run has one bigger hill (about a half mile down to/up from a riverside path) but otherwise flat and cool. Low 70's at most by the end of the run most years. It's a fast course, smaller race with great community support.
2019-05-27 9:35 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Goose Pond Island half iron-May 26, 2019

Up at 4:15, leisurely breakfast and a cup of coffee. Headed to venue at 5:20 to arrive at 5:30. Scottsboro, AL is in central time zone, so it was really light even that early. Parking was steps away from transition, so aired up tires and loaded up water and nutrition at the car and wheeled Simon to rack.

Very small race. Less than 260 in half and sprint races, so there was ample room to rack bikes which was a dream come true.

Swim was in a shallow lake and the water temp was 86 degrees!!!!!!! Women went off in wave 3 at 7:09 a m. I'd been sick all week and still had some upper respiratory crud, so I struggled a little at the start. I was pretty wheezy and the woman next to me insisted on swimming on top of me for 25 strokes or so. I couldn't get away from her, so I finally had enough and gave her a little elbow nudge and had some room. At this point I wasn't feeling so good, so had to talk myself back to a longer, more glidey swim stroke to get my together. Finally felt better about 500 yards in and the rest of the swim was fine. Finished just under 41 minutes.

I was excited about the bike course. Gentle rollers through pretty farmland in a valley. I followed orders and started out at a higher rpm and lower wattage and built through the first hour. I then kept it at 65%-70% of ftp for most of the ride, backing off the last 30 minutes as I was starting to feel the heat. I really struggle with my variability index and was pleased to get an "atta girl" from my coach for a VI of 1.05. My heartrate stayed really stable even though the temps were in the low 90s once I got off the bike. The best thing is that I love my bike, Simon. It's SO much more comfortable than my Felt was and I can just hunker down in aero and not have to focus on how much pain I'm in.

Then we ran...sort of. Truly, it was a death march. The heat in the South started 10 days ago out of the blue. We are 8 degrees higher than average and dealing with temps we usually don't see until July. I don't tolerate the heat at all when I run, and I haven't found a solution with regards to adaptation. It was a long, hot slog. There were ample aid stations that had water, Base hydro and lots of ice. I was glad to finish. Temps during the run were mid 90s.

About 45 min later I was sick as can be. Felt faint and ready to puke. Finally felt better an hour later. I've felt ill every time I've finished a half iron race. Not sure if it's a blood pressure thing post race, a heat thing, a hydration thing or a perfect storm combination of all 3.
I was pretty excited that I didn't feel nauseated on the run (which has happened every half I've done to this point), but was frustrated that the nausea arrive shortly thereafter. I've really worked with my nutrition and hydration plan the past 8 months to get things worked out to prevent the nausea after the bike, and was hoping I'd found a solution. Maybe I have and this is simply how my body reacts after the exertion. I just hope it can handle twice the distance in 19 weeks.

Dinner with friends who surprised me with a 48th birthday cake.

This was a nice local tri. The RD also runs IM Chattanooga & Chatt 70.3. You really needed to drive the bike and run courses as there weren't many people to follow and the run had a few quirky spots. Those of us who took the time to drive it were fine. Those who didn't found themselves completely lost and added 3+ miles to an already long, hot run. I'd go again if it promised to be 10 degrees cooler. Plus, it was $125. Entry + hotel + expenses still cheaper than Augusta 70.3 in my backyard.

I'm now searching for a half that is non ocean, sleeveless wetsuit legal, rolling bike, flatter run with cooler temps for the future.

Oh wow! I got overheated just by reading your report.. I'm glad you managed it I saw your pciture on Instagram, where you smiled, feeling strong!

2019-05-27 11:40 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Hot Runner Oh, that run sounds yucky! Shades of Vietnam 70.3. Even the year I qualified for Worlds, it felt like a death march. And the other two years, when I was (first year) really sick with upper respiratory crud and (third year) just coming off an injury with little run fitness, it was a true death march. I'm guessing that your issues may have been a combo of being sick and the heat. I've noticed that having any kind of viral infection really reduces my heat tolerance, including the ability to happily keep down nutrition. You didn't mention if taking asthma or cold meds but a lot of those, particularly decongestants and antihistamines, will affect heat tolerance as well. If you are wiling to travel, could recommend Calgary 70.3. Swim has always been wetsuit legal (in a small lake), bike is flat to rolling and fast; run has one bigger hill (about a half mile down to/up from a riverside path) but otherwise flat and cool. Low 70's at most by the end of the run most years. It's a fast course, smaller race with great community support.

The year I did Calgary it was close to 30C....the route has changed since then, but I think the run is still goes through Weaselhead and around the reservoir....lots of open/unshaded.  Agree on the community support, however!

2019-05-27 11:41 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs Goose Pond Island half iron-May 26, 2019 Up at 4:15, leisurely breakfast and a cup of coffee. Headed to venue at 5:20 to arrive at 5:30. Scottsboro, AL is in central time zone, so it was really light even that early. Parking was steps away from transition, so aired up tires and loaded up water and nutrition at the car and wheeled Simon to rack. Very small race. Less than 260 in half and sprint races, so there was ample room to rack bikes which was a dream come true. Swim was in a shallow lake and the water temp was 86 degrees!!!!!!! Women went off in wave 3 at 7:09 a m. I'd been sick all week and still had some upper respiratory crud, so I struggled a little at the start. I was pretty wheezy and the woman next to me insisted on swimming on top of me for 25 strokes or so. I couldn't get away from her, so I finally had enough and gave her a little elbow nudge and had some room. At this point I wasn't feeling so good, so had to talk myself back to a longer, more glidey swim stroke to get my together. Finally felt better about 500 yards in and the rest of the swim was fine. Finished just under 41 minutes. I was excited about the bike course. Gentle rollers through pretty farmland in a valley. I followed orders and started out at a higher rpm and lower wattage and built through the first hour. I then kept it at 65%-70% of ftp for most of the ride, backing off the last 30 minutes as I was starting to feel the heat. I really struggle with my variability index and was pleased to get an "atta girl" from my coach for a VI of 1.05. My heartrate stayed really stable even though the temps were in the low 90s once I got off the bike. The best thing is that I love my bike, Simon. It's SO much more comfortable than my Felt was and I can just hunker down in aero and not have to focus on how much pain I'm in. Then we ran...sort of. Truly, it was a death march. The heat in the South started 10 days ago out of the blue. We are 8 degrees higher than average and dealing with temps we usually don't see until July. I don't tolerate the heat at all when I run, and I haven't found a solution with regards to adaptation. It was a long, hot slog. There were ample aid stations that had water, Base hydro and lots of ice. I was glad to finish. Temps during the run were mid 90s. About 45 min later I was sick as can be. Felt faint and ready to puke. Finally felt better an hour later. I've felt ill every time I've finished a half iron race. Not sure if it's a blood pressure thing post race, a heat thing, a hydration thing or a perfect storm combination of all 3. I was pretty excited that I didn't feel nauseated on the run (which has happened every half I've done to this point), but was frustrated that the nausea arrive shortly thereafter. I've really worked with my nutrition and hydration plan the past 8 months to get things worked out to prevent the nausea after the bike, and was hoping I'd found a solution. Maybe I have and this is simply how my body reacts after the exertion. I just hope it can handle twice the distance in 19 weeks. Dinner with friends who surprised me with a 48th birthday cake. This was a nice local tri. The RD also runs IM Chattanooga & Chatt 70.3. You really needed to drive the bike and run courses as there weren't many people to follow and the run had a few quirky spots. Those of us who took the time to drive it were fine. Those who didn't found themselves completely lost and added 3+ miles to an already long, hot run. I'd go again if it promised to be 10 degrees cooler. Plus, it was $125. Entry + hotel + expenses still cheaper than Augusta 70.3 in my backyard. I'm now searching for a half that is non ocean, sleeveless wetsuit legal, rolling bike, flatter run with cooler temps for the future.

Sounds like a tough race; great job on getting 'er done!

2019-05-28 7:15 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by IronOx

Originally posted by glfprncs . About 45 min later I was sick as can be. Felt faint and ready to puke. Finally felt better an hour later. I've felt ill every time I've finished a half iron race. Not sure if it's a blood pressure thing post race, a heat thing, a hydration thing or a perfect storm combination of all 3.

Sounds like a tough race; great job on getting 'er done!

Great finish in tough conditions! I haven't found a way to acclimate to heat either. Once your heart rate gets up, there's no bringing it down on a hot run.

I find the hangover from a hot race is way worse too. Sometimes my electrolytes feel out of whack for days. I'm glad you managed to recover enough to not need medical attention!
2019-05-28 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs Goose Pond Island half iron-May 26, 2019 Up at 4:15, leisurely breakfast and a cup of coffee. Headed to venue at 5:20 to arrive at 5:30. Scottsboro, AL is in central time zone, so it was really light even that early. Parking was steps away from transition, so aired up tires and loaded up water and nutrition at the car and wheeled Simon to rack. Very small race. Less than 260 in half and sprint races, so there was ample room to rack bikes which was a dream come true. Swim was in a shallow lake and the water temp was 86 degrees!!!!!!! Women went off in wave 3 at 7:09 a m. I'd been sick all week and still had some upper respiratory crud, so I struggled a little at the start. I was pretty wheezy and the woman next to me insisted on swimming on top of me for 25 strokes or so. I couldn't get away from her, so I finally had enough and gave her a little elbow nudge and had some room. At this point I wasn't feeling so good, so had to talk myself back to a longer, more glidey swim stroke to get my together. Finally felt better about 500 yards in and the rest of the swim was fine. Finished just under 41 minutes. I was excited about the bike course. Gentle rollers through pretty farmland in a valley. I followed orders and started out at a higher rpm and lower wattage and built through the first hour. I then kept it at 65%-70% of ftp for most of the ride, backing off the last 30 minutes as I was starting to feel the heat. I really struggle with my variability index and was pleased to get an "atta girl" from my coach for a VI of 1.05. My heartrate stayed really stable even though the temps were in the low 90s once I got off the bike. The best thing is that I love my bike, Simon. It's SO much more comfortable than my Felt was and I can just hunker down in aero and not have to focus on how much pain I'm in. Then we ran...sort of. Truly, it was a death march. The heat in the South started 10 days ago out of the blue. We are 8 degrees higher than average and dealing with temps we usually don't see until July. I don't tolerate the heat at all when I run, and I haven't found a solution with regards to adaptation. It was a long, hot slog. There were ample aid stations that had water, Base hydro and lots of ice. I was glad to finish. Temps during the run were mid 90s. About 45 min later I was sick as can be. Felt faint and ready to puke. Finally felt better an hour later. I've felt ill every time I've finished a half iron race. Not sure if it's a blood pressure thing post race, a heat thing, a hydration thing or a perfect storm combination of all 3. I was pretty excited that I didn't feel nauseated on the run (which has happened every half I've done to this point), but was frustrated that the nausea arrive shortly thereafter. I've really worked with my nutrition and hydration plan the past 8 months to get things worked out to prevent the nausea after the bike, and was hoping I'd found a solution. Maybe I have and this is simply how my body reacts after the exertion. I just hope it can handle twice the distance in 19 weeks. Dinner with friends who surprised me with a 48th birthday cake. This was a nice local tri. The RD also runs IM Chattanooga & Chatt 70.3. You really needed to drive the bike and run courses as there weren't many people to follow and the run had a few quirky spots. Those of us who took the time to drive it were fine. Those who didn't found themselves completely lost and added 3+ miles to an already long, hot run. I'd go again if it promised to be 10 degrees cooler. Plus, it was $125. Entry + hotel + expenses still cheaper than Augusta 70.3 in my backyard. I'm now searching for a half that is non ocean, sleeveless wetsuit legal, rolling bike, flatter run with cooler temps for the future.

Tough race, but you did a great job managing the heat! I have confidence that in 19 weeks you will more than handle your IM! 

2019-05-28 8:09 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Hmm...I don't remember any reservoir on the Calgary run, only a small river. It was totally different last year to the previous time I did it. Mostly on a path along a river. There were a few open stretches (short ones) but mostly shaded; I don't remember feeling hot. The course had more exposed areas the year before (maybe it's a different part of the same path??) and it may have hit high 70's F. Then again, having spent the past several years in the tropics, I am probably the opposite of a Canadian! At any rate the humidity has been low every time we've been there.

2019-05-28 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations!

2019-05-28 11:10 AM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Hot Runner Hmm...I don't remember any reservoir on the Calgary run, only a small river. It was totally different last year to the previous time I did it. Mostly on a path along a river. There were a few open stretches (short ones) but mostly shaded; I don't remember feeling hot. The course had more exposed areas the year before (maybe it's a different part of the same path??) and it may have hit high 70's F. Then again, having spent the past several years in the tropics, I am probably the opposite of a Canadian! At any rate the humidity has been low every time we've been there.

Well, thats good!  There was a lot of open when I did it.

2019-05-28 11:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by glfprncs I'm now searching for a half that is non ocean, sleeveless wetsuit legal, rolling bike, flatter run with cooler temps for the future.

Let's talk about the Mythical Dream Half. 

IM Chattanooga 70.3 could be this race. Or it could be hot.

White Lake -- Bike not rolling, just flat. Run flat but no shade. They keep on playing with the dates on this one so it will really depend. When I did the spring race, it was only in the 60s -- both air and water temperature. That year it was May 2nd. This year it was at the end of April. The fall race is in September and that is usually still pretty hot and not wetsuit legal.

IM 70.3 North Carolina could be this race -- but saltwater. I haven't done it but I think that Virginia has the same saltwater issue.

IM 70.3 Santa Rosa could be good. The air temperature will be hot but they have no humidity so not hot at a ll compared to Augusta. The date is going to change for this next year. They are putting the full at the end of July like it was for Vineman. Not sure what the date for the half will be.

2019-05-28 11:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by glfprncs I'm now searching for a half that is non ocean, sleeveless wetsuit legal, rolling bike, flatter run with cooler temps for the future.

Let's talk about the Mythical Dream Half. 

IM Chattanooga 70.3 could be this race. Or it could be hot.

White Lake -- Bike not rolling, just flat. Run flat but no shade. They keep on playing with the dates on this one so it will really depend. When I did the spring race, it was only in the 60s -- both air and water temperature. That year it was May 2nd. This year it was at the end of April. The fall race is in September and that is usually still pretty hot and not wetsuit legal.

IM 70.3 North Carolina could be this race -- but saltwater. I haven't done it but I think that Virginia has the same saltwater issue.

IM 70.3 Santa Rosa could be good. The air temperature will be hot but they have no humidity so not hot at a ll compared to Augusta. The date is going to change for this next year. They are putting the full at the end of July like it was for Vineman. Not sure what the date for the half will be.

I am looking at an earlyish spring one that has these qualifications. Except I don't mind ocean swims (too much).

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107