BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-04 10:28 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by jmkizer

Talk to me about resting heart rate.

First thing in the morning?

The lowest number or the first number? 

I have an $8 pulse oximeter that I can put on my finger to get my pulse.  I used to keep it by my bed and check it every morning.  I did this for over six months and then realized that this data was not useful to me so I stopped.  Now I'm working with someone who would like me to track this.

Anyway, when I first put it on this morning before getting out of bed, it said 55 and then dropped to 54.  I laid there a bit more and looked again and it said 51 but then jump back up and kept flipping between 54 and 55.  So should I put in 51 or 55 or 55? 

The Band 2 I've been wearing tells me that my resting heart rate has been about 43 for the last few nights. It runs a graph that shows my heart rate being consistently low while in "light" sleep.

That's actually part of my question -- should it be your lowest heart rate of the day?  Your lowest heart rate when you are awake?  Is lowest even part of the equation? 

2016-11-04 10:44 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6
Anne - Red Dog 100 Gravel Race on Saturday
Randee - Disney Wine and Dine 10k on Saturday
Randee - Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon on Sunday
Melanie - Across the Bay 10K on Sunday
Adam - City of Oaks half marathon on Sunday
Tom - Race to the Library on Sunday
Adrienne - PNTF Championship on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

2016-11-04 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I have an $8 pulse oximeter that I can put on my finger to get my pulse.  I used to keep it by my bed and check it every morning.  I did this for over six months and then realized that this data was not useful to me so I stopped.  Now I'm working with someone who would like me to track this.

Anyway, when I first put it on this morning before getting out of bed, it said 55 and then dropped to 54.  I laid there a bit more and looked again and it said 51 but then jump back up and kept flipping between 54 and 55.  So should I put in 51 or 55 or 55? 

The Band 2 I've been wearing tells me that my resting heart rate has been about 43 for the last few nights. It runs a graph that shows my heart rate being consistently low while in "light" sleep.

That's actually part of my question -- should it be your lowest heart rate of the day?  Your lowest heart rate when you are awake?  Is lowest even part of the equation? 

For measurement purposes I'm not sure which is optimal. Unless one wears something like the Band or a fitbit it would be difficult to capture lowest if it is, indeed, during an actual sleep cycle. I'll post a pic of mine to show how it goes up as I get closer to waking. FWIW I generally wake naturally and don't use an alarm.

(IMG_5803.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_5803.PNG (67KB - 3 downloads)
2016-11-04 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

Those look like some incredible events!!!!!!!!!! Go racers and have a blast!

Anne, healing {{hugs}}

2016-11-04 11:36 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

GOOOOOOOO RACERS!!!  Randee's hitting FL hard while she's there! Go me!  Feel better soon, Anne!

2016-11-04 11:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

Nice long list of racers! Have tons of fun!

Feel better Anne.

Randee, your Saturday race will probably be warm, but your Sunday HM should have better running weather!

2016-11-04 12:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

For measurement purposes I'm not sure which is optimal. Unless one wears something like the Band or a fitbit it would be difficult to capture lowest if it is, indeed, during an actual sleep cycle. I'll post a pic of mine to show how it goes up as I get closer to waking. FWIW I generally wake naturally and don't use an alarm.

I agree that if you aren't recording heart rate 24/7 that would be impossible to capture and from what I've read, even those devices don't always do a great job if it.  That was  a serious question.  I've seen write ups going both ways -- lowest heart rate of 24 hours and lowest WAKING heart rate.  Does it matter?

2016-11-04 12:15 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

The conscious vs unconscious states may come into play there. I don't know that it's necessarily trying to get the absolute lowest you might find in sleep like that. Sleep is something everyone does, and it's going to be the best rest you'll get. It's also going to be a more consistent point to take a measurement. Not that different from tracking weight right away in the morning.

If you can't repeat the 51, then it sounds a bit anomalous. The 54/55 was pretty regular. Either may be fine here with the more important part being to make the selection the same way every time. With just needing a pulse value, I'm thinking the coach may just be watching this over time as a tool to help determine if your getting to stressed or the load is getting too high. If this value is normal for awhile and then you see 60+ (I don't know what's actually significant), your training might lighten up for a bit allowing your body to recover so you don't end up carrying too much fatigue.

There is also Heart Rate Variance, but don't think that's reported in a single number. At least not a singular HR value.

ETA: If you do need the true lowest, then your coach should specify this and help figure out what is best to capture that.

Edited by brigby1 2016-11-04 12:16 PM
2016-11-04 1:07 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

I think the decision on anyone considering Cedar Point has just been settled per an email from Rev3:

Unfortunately, we will not be producing multi-sport events in Knoxville, TN or Cedar Point, OH in 2017. Here are the reasons why: 

Knoxville: It is our goal to produce events with the highest standard of quality. While we love Knoxville and have enjoyed our experience there over the last 7 years, recent participation numbers prohibit us from fulfilling that goal. We continue to work with Visit Knoxville in an effort to return REV3 Knoxville to the event calendar in 2018.

Cedar Point:  Cedar Point Amusement Park has informed us that Management has "adjusted their strategic initiatives" and will not be working with us to bring REV3 Cedar Point back in the foreseeable future. Although we have excellent working relationships with the Town of Sandusky, Cedar Point, Lake Erie Island Shores as well as the various police, sheriff's and fire departments we've worked so closely with over the years, we have exhausted every angle possible to keep Cedar Point on our event calendar. 

We have been very fortunate to have been supported by these two local communities. The volunteer support in Knoxville and Cedar Point has always been very strong and we are honored to have been able to produce these events for so many years.

2016-11-04 1:20 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

I think the decision on anyone considering Cedar Point has just been settled per an email from Rev3:

Unfortunately, we will not be producing multi-sport events in Knoxville, TN or Cedar Point, OH in 2017. Here are the reasons why: 

Knoxville: It is our goal to produce events with the highest standard of quality. While we love Knoxville and have enjoyed our experience there over the last 7 years, recent participation numbers prohibit us from fulfilling that goal. We continue to work with Visit Knoxville in an effort to return REV3 Knoxville to the event calendar in 2018.

Cedar Point:  Cedar Point Amusement Park has informed us that Management has "adjusted their strategic initiatives" and will not be working with us to bring REV3 Cedar Point back in the foreseeable future. Although we have excellent working relationships with the Town of Sandusky, Cedar Point, Lake Erie Island Shores as well as the various police, sheriff's and fire departments we've worked so closely with over the years, we have exhausted every angle possible to keep Cedar Point on our event calendar. 

We have been very fortunate to have been supported by these two local communities. The volunteer support in Knoxville and Cedar Point has always been very strong and we are honored to have been able to produce these events for so many years.

I knew that the IM Chat 70.3 in May had successfully killed Knoxville.  I'm surprised about Cedar Point, considering that was the USAT Ultra Distance Championship venue. 

2016-11-04 1:38 PM

Master
Northern IL

I knew that the IM Chat 70.3 in May had successfully killed Knoxville.  I'm surprised about Cedar Point, considering that was the USAT Ultra Distance Championship venue. 

Disappointed, but not really surprised with Knoxville. Cedar Point is surprising with that championship there. It is new though they've had a few others there over the years, like Aquabike. Wonder if that will (or even can) go somewhere else as they seem to stay away from WTC races for the championships.

2016-11-04 1:42 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Disappointed, but not really surprised with Knoxville. Cedar Point is surprising with that championship there. It is new though they've had a few others there over the years, like Aquabike. Wonder if that will (or even can) go somewhere else as they seem to stay away from WTC races for the championships.

Redman, Great Floridian, maybe HITS Twin Cities which is a similar timeframe (late August for the HITS one versus early September for Cedar Point).  I'm not sure what else is left.

Did you see yesterday's announcement that WTC acquired Gulf Coast Tri?

2016-11-04 2:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Redman, Great Floridian, maybe HITS Twin Cities which is a similar timeframe (late August for the HITS one versus early September for Cedar Point).  I'm not sure what else is left.

Hadn't seen Gulf Coast, but wasn't really looking.

Hadn't thought of HITS, which could say something as wasn't sure they were still going. Redman is getting all the (non MDOT) attention in the world as they just had LC Worlds and think it has short course Nats this year and next? If they don't have other options, then maybe. Think MI Titanium may still be going.

2016-11-04 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

That's really unfortunate! WTC certainly seems to have cornered the market on long course races.  One exception that I am familiar with is MiamiMan (international and 70.3 distances) . It's been held in November for years and years, and was my first 70.3.  About 4 years ago WTC came to town with a November 70.3 in Miami and people were worried it would eat away at Miamiman. But, it hasn't. MM continues to sell out each year and generally gets better reviews. It's a great race put on by a stellar organization (multirace).

ETA: this year it also hosts the long course and aquabike championship.

Edited by amd723 2016-11-04 2:31 PM
2016-11-04 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hadn't seen Gulf Coast, but wasn't really looking.

Hadn't thought of HITS, which could say something as wasn't sure they were still going. Redman is getting all the (non MDOT) attention in the world as they just had LC Worlds and think it has short course Nats this year and next? If they don't have other options, then maybe. Think MI Titanium may still be going.

Ah!  Michigan Titanium. 

The USAT calendar is here.

UPDATED to fix link

Edited by jmkizer 2016-11-04 2:32 PM
2016-11-04 2:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

That's really unfortunate! WTC certainly seems to have cornered the market on long course races.  One exception that I am familiar with is MiamiMan (international and 70.3 distances) . It's been held in November for years and years, and was my first 70.3.  About 4 years ago WTC came to town with a November 70.3 in Miami and people were worried it would eat away at Miamiman. But, it hasn't. MM continues to sell out each year and generally gets better reviews. It's a great race put on by a stellar organization (multirace).

Next year as well.  USAT seems to be scheduling two years at a location before moving it.  Cary, NC has long course du again next year.  Bend has standard and spring due again next year (Greenville, SC the following two years), etc.

2016-11-04 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

November 5-6

Is anyone else racing?

Disabled List
Anne - flu

Go Randee, Mel, Adam, Tom and Salty I hope that you have a great time.

Get better soon Anne.
2016-11-04 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
As I recall, it doesn't matter as long as you are consistent with the number you use. I think most people use HR on awakening. A lot is probably going on biochemically as you first wake up, so there is probably some up and down of HR that goes with that. The monitor calculates based on beats in a certain time, so the real value might be between 54 and 55--just consistently choose the higher or the lower one. Anyhow, a difference of 1 BPM is not significant. (And the 51 is probably the random variability I describe below.)

Not sure about others, but my HR always jumps around a bit when I am not doing anything strenuous--when resting or doing low-intensity workouts it will sometimes vary by usually 5-6 BPM (resting) and as much 10-12 BPM (during a warmup or recovery-type effort on the bike or run) on a monitor, with no obvious cause for the increase/decrease (no change in power, pace, or perceived effort). That's not accompanied by any abnormal feeling--I wouldn't know about the random spikes and drops if not wearing a monitor. My coach has actually commented on this and says she sees this in some people, but not everyone; it's not a cause for concern unless the drops are associated with symptoms like feeling light-headed. It's almost like the way a car warms up when the engine is cold. I've wondered if it's connected to the music I'm listening to, or something I see on a video while biking on the trainer! The bigger drops/spikes do seem to be more common when I am watching an exciting video, or listening to upbeat music on the trainer; less common when running (no music and, of course, no video).

This variability disappears as soon as I turn on the effort--when I start doing high-intensity efforts it will go up in a very smooth line and then stay there. Most of my FTP tests and threshold run tests have an almost "flat" line once I hit what seems to be a max effort, which is in the 160's on the bike and 170's on the run.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-11-04 6:47 PM
2016-11-05 12:25 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

GO RANDEETEE^2!!!
GO PEACH MELBO!!!
GO ADAM!!!
GO FOXAY!!!
GO SALTY!!!

Poor Anne, saw that on FB. Hope you're up and at 'em soon.

2016-11-05 12:27 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Jet Black Hey y'all. Sadly checking in for the first time in awhile due to seeing the news about Steve on instagram. I hope you all are doing well. Looks like I missed some Steve bracelet deal, is it too late to get one? Prayers for Steve's family as well as for the pod.

Hiya Jetson, good to see you

I'm sure Steve's family appreciate the prayers as do we. It continues to hit me hard.

2016-11-05 12:35 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by Hot Runner On the subject of mildew, I have what appear to be alien life forms growing in all my bike bottles. (Yes, I wash them after each use with dish soap and a bottle brush. But I believe they never get dry.) Anyone have any good home remedies to clear out the sludge/mold/alien life forms?
Try filling them a third of the way with white vinegar, let it sit for 5 minutes and then put the lid on and give them a really good shake then tip the vinegar out. Repeat if nesecery. You will need to rinse them a few times once you are done so that you get rid of the taste. I often use vinegar instead of fabric softener in my washing. It leaves towels nice and fluffy but not smelling like vinegar, it might help deter any mildew issues you have with your towels. It also helps to remove the sweat smell that sometimes gets locked into workout clothing even though they have been washed. You don't need much in your rinse cycle though, maybe 1/4 cup at most. You might also be able to spray your shoes with a solution of 50/50 vinegar and water. It might get rid of the smell, but in have never tried that. The cat might tolerate a vinegar/water solution better than bleach too. One other thing it's great for is removing the build up you get in your kettle or coffee machine. We use vinegar a lot as a cleaning solution and find it to be really effective -basically anything you think about using bleach for you can use vinegar and it's far less toxic.

Vinny fan here too and believe me in Bali especially it's a constant battle between slime and rust. On everything. Strangely enough vinegar also helps with getting rusty stuff un-stuck sometimes. (Cleat screws, zippers, etc.)

In Bali even my clothes mold (because they don't get dry) ... Hobbit Maid puts a bit of vinny in the rinse, that seems to help, and I keep 'em on open-air cabinets, not in a closet.

When I don't have Penguin wash, soaking any shoes in a mix of powdered detergent and vinegar seems to get any smell out. They will smell faintly of vinegar but that's way better than anything else they reek of ...

2016-11-05 1:11 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Thanks for the advice. Actually I just unstuck a couple of waist pack zippers with a combo of vegetable oil and vinegar--yuck! Clothes can also smell like mildew although there are some decent products available here the absorb moisture in the closet--I also open them periodically. Reluctant to do that when I'm not home as my little kitty has a tendency to knead/claw and chew on things that smell like "Mommy"--especially socks and pillows, but anything will do in a pinch.

About killed her when I found my Worlds finisher T-shirt (that I earned with those extra 10+ km!) had slipped off the hook on the door and she had put a couple of love bites (or maybe just claws) in it. I got her at eight weeks, but think maybe she was still separated/weaned from Mama Cat too young--one of nine and Mama was a bit overwhelmed. She and her siblings were about half the size of typical kittens. She has always been tiny, and a big baby behavior-wise.

Tried the vinegar in the bike bottles but doesn't seem to be doing anything. Maybe I need to let it sit all day?
2016-11-05 4:06 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by amd723

Next year as well.  USAT seems to be scheduling two years at a location before moving it.  Cary, NC has long course du again next year.  Bend has standard and spring due again next year (Greenville, SC the following two years), etc.

I can't say I'm disappointed they are going to cancel Cedar Point. It is in direct competition with the HIM in my town that I am the liaison for. Ever since they started Cedar Point our numbers have dropped. Hopefully we will see the numbers we had before they started that race.
2016-11-06 12:24 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Arrrgh! Just have to vent. Over the past year, I have, successively, lost my only local sources for whole wheat bread and whole grain pasta (the bakery went out of business; the store refuses to carry it as there isn't enough demand). Now, for the second time in six months, all local stores are out of basically all brands of granola bars. The only product now available (at only one store) retails for the equivalent of $9 for a box of six bars that has a net weight of about 6 ounces. (So roughly $25/pound!) This is a big deal for me--I can't do substantial workouts on an empty stomach, and I can't handle any wheat or dairy products before running. Baking my own....would be a great idea, but I'm not a Martha Stewart type, and don't really have any baking supplies, or a real oven. I can get oats (for a goodly price) and vegetable oil; anything else is going to be crazy expensive.

Anyone have an awesome, really basic, wheat-free energy bar recipe that could be made in a toaster oven? Can't include ANYTHING fancy like agave or carob or chocolate chips or anything one can't get for a reasonable price in the third world. Only expats bake here, so anything baking related is sold only in specialty stores that charge what the market will bear, particularly during holiday season. That includes most nuts. (Peanuts are semi-reasonable, cashews an occasional extravagance. Forget about walnuts or almonds--up to $50 a pound, if you can find them.) Or sending anything in--customs duties are such that shipping and duty will far exceed cost of item, if it even arrives.

If I lived in Laos, or the countryside, I would just buy a big banana leaf full of sticky rice cooked in coconut milk every few days and use that before workouts. But I don't even have a vendor for THAT anywhere near here, because I live in an "upscale" neighborhood where the street vendors aren't allowed. I swear I have the worse of both worlds, food-wise.

Okay--rant over! Thinking through the suitcase full of food I am going to have to bring back if the granola bar situation does not resolve. Now regretting I didn't sign up for a du in Singapore in two weeks. Prices are no cheaper than here for many things, but at least there are a number of workable brands of granola bars!
2016-11-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Arrrgh! Just have to vent. Over the past year, I have, successively, lost my only local sources for whole wheat bread and whole grain pasta (the bakery went out of business; the store refuses to carry it as there isn't enough demand). Now, for the second time in six months, all local stores are out of basically all brands of granola bars. The only product now available (at only one store) retails for the equivalent of $9 for a box of six bars that has a net weight of about 6 ounces. (So roughly $25/pound!) This is a big deal for me--I can't do substantial workouts on an empty stomach, and I can't handle any wheat or dairy products before running. Baking my own....would be a great idea, but I'm not a Martha Stewart type, and don't really have any baking supplies, or a real oven. I can get oats (for a goodly price) and vegetable oil; anything else is going to be crazy expensive. Anyone have an awesome, really basic, wheat-free energy bar recipe that could be made in a toaster oven? Can't include ANYTHING fancy like agave or carob or chocolate chips or anything one can't get for a reasonable price in the third world. Only expats bake here, so anything baking related is sold only in specialty stores that charge what the market will bear, particularly during holiday season. That includes most nuts. (Peanuts are semi-reasonable, cashews an occasional extravagance. Forget about walnuts or almonds--up to $50 a pound, if you can find them.) Or sending anything in--customs duties are such that shipping and duty will far exceed cost of item, if it even arrives. If I lived in Laos, or the countryside, I would just buy a big banana leaf full of sticky rice cooked in coconut milk every few days and use that before workouts. But I don't even have a vendor for THAT anywhere near here, because I live in an "upscale" neighborhood where the street vendors aren't allowed. I swear I have the worse of both worlds, food-wise. Okay--rant over! Thinking through the suitcase full of food I am going to have to bring back if the granola bar situation does not resolve. Now regretting I didn't sign up for a du in Singapore in two weeks. Prices are no cheaper than here for many things, but at least there are a number of workable brands of granola bars!

Here's a link for a no bake granola bar.  It does call for almonds, but maybe you could substitute peanuts.  And you need dates. You didn't mention whether that was available or not.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.