BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-02-20 1:29 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by cdban66

Hell hath frozen over. See training log.

Oh my, that is too funny! I think the wording is funny, because you had a challenge once to run with a purpose. There is always a purpose. Even to that thing-a-ma-jig.

Glad you noticed that. I might appear s sh*t show, but it's a calculated one.

And Ben, I appreciate your half full perspective on the Seahawks green

I've never heard your voice, but your words rattle around in my pea sized brain every now and again. Mostly asking about purpose. 

Sometimes asking where I'm drinking after this run!

I think a good question is, where is Kirsten drinking? 

I'm sorry, it's the arrogant American speaking! 

You may have spoken too soon!!! I can't believe under a minute left and they tied it!

I know right?

But there goes Kirsten's theory that it wouldn't be a game!

Holy smokes!

2014-02-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

I thought I saw pig flying!
2014-02-20 1:42 PM

User image

Master

Oh my, that is too funny! I think the wording is funny, because you had a challenge once to run with a purpose. There is always a purpose. Even to that thing-a-ma-jig.

Glad you noticed that. I might appear s sh*t show, but it's a calculated one.

And Ben, I appreciate your half full perspective on the Seahawks green

I've never heard your voice, but your words rattle around in my pea sized brain every now and again. Mostly asking about purpose. 

Sometimes asking where I'm drinking after this run!

I think a good question is, where is Kirsten drinking? 

I'm sorry, it's the arrogant American speaking! 

You may have spoken too soon!!! I can't believe under a minute left and they tied it!

Well, crap! I DO need to go run more. WTH? And that crazy, ref error open shot that bounced off the post?  sheesh.

Prevent defense sucks. Doesn't seem to matter the sport.

2014-02-20 1:57 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

2014-02-20 2:02 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

That sounds like a warm up for you!
2014-02-20 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Sometimes it's fun being the only Canadian in the office... but now I feel like I need to duck & cover because they might be coming after me...  

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!   

2014-02-20 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

ARGHHHHHHH!!!

2014-02-20 2:21 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by KansasMom

Once a manatee, always a manatee??? (said very softly and with great trepidation?)

Felicia, good to hear from you!!!  Welcome back!! (((hugs)))

2014-02-20 2:25 PM
in reply to: KansasMom

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Once a manatee, always a manatee??? (said very softly and with great trepidation?)

Of course!  You don't even need to beg or send Pop Tarts!

Thanks, Janyne.

Brief update on me:

In a word: illness. One thing after another. Nothing terribly serious, thankfully, but it has been a horrible fall/winter for me.

Hubby: Still traveling for work. Out three weeks, back for one, home for weekends. I would be lying if I said that his being gone didn't have an influence on my health and my inability to work out.

Number One Son: Blew the ACT away. Well, not perfect, but he did score perfect on science reasoning and nearly perfect on Language. His math pulled him down, so he ended up with a 32 cumulative. Good enough. If his dad doesn't screw it up, he will be going to a regional state university about two hours from here in the fall, double majoring in math/physics and minoring in chemistry and computer science. Full tuition paid with scholarships. Woohoo! He left for Korea this morning after spending two weeks with family/girl friend in Oregon. He will come back, I hope, at the beginning of May. His being gone, and my husband's travel schedule, is also going to cramp my racing style.

Number Two Son: 7th grader, failing three subjects today. Very frustrating. We fight a lot, but we both try not to let it get in the way of our relationship. He made me feel really good the other day because he said at youth group they had to share what they are afraid of. He said he is afraid of the future because right now he has a good relationship with his mom and little brother, and he never wants that to change. He knows how to get to me.

Number Three Son: 1st grader. Amazing. Reading like crazy -- has blazed through all of the Captain Underpants books since Christmas. High literature. Number one on the banned book list for 2012.  On the first snow day this winter, he went and found his first grade summer bridge book so that his skills didn't get rusty! LOL

Me: Work is going well. I was promoted a week ago, so I will get a small raise in my next contract. I'm still splitting time teaching and administration, but mostly teaching. I love my classes this semester -- two novel class and two writing class (journalism and poetry).  I am slowly easing back into running. I haven't tried swimming or biking yet. My fitness is way down, but I am hoping to get it back over time. I signed up to run a marathon trail run on April 5 just before my health fell apart. I won't be running it, not only because I won't be ready but also because my step-daughter is getting married on the 6th in Utah.

Okay, this wasn't so brief. I missed everyone. I just haven't had energy after work to do anything. I have basically been dragging myself home, throwing something together for dinner (I must admit that when hubby is not home, my kids end up eating oatmeal for dinner), and falling into bed.

Wow, a lot going on for you, Felicia. Having people you count on for help not around for sure affects all aspects of life. Hang in there and ease back into training... whatever capacity that is for you right now  

2014-02-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Sometimes it's fun being the only Canadian in the office... but now I feel like I need to duck & cover because they might be coming after me...  

WOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!   

MIGHT?

2014-02-20 2:30 PM

User image

Master

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

Ummm, that would be four beers.  One on the game PLUS one for each goal.  I have been/am still in a surgery lab all morning, but have been following along.  I had faith that the good Canadian gals would make it happen.  Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

2014-02-20 2:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

ARGHHHHHHH!!!

I'm ARGHHHHHH-ing for a different reason. I was in media shutdown mode today to avoid hearing any scores, news, etc about the game (because I have it DVRed) when a co-worker came up and started to talk about the 3 sudden, unanswered goals. I immediately tried to block out his words from registering in my brain.  My friends overheard him talking to me and came to try to rescue me which they did, sort of, since the game wasn't yet over.  Well some amount of minutes later another friend texted me, "Sorry Mel" which, yeah, pretty much said it all.  Ah well, I'll still watch it even though I know the sad outcome.  Congrats Kirsten, Monica, Marc and any other Canadian manatees I may have overlooked.  Regardless of the score it's still a heck of a lot of fun to watch such caliber of women playing hockey.

2014-02-20 2:34 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by bcraht

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

Ummm, that would be four beers.  One on the game PLUS one for each goal.  I have been/am still in a surgery lab all morning, but have been following along.  I had faith that the good Canadian gals would make it happen.  Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot!

What about the Canadian men, are you two betting on that game?
2014-02-20 3:39 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Originally posted by marcag

Originally posted by JJ-

Ok Swimming Experts

My swim training this morning called for swim drills called FIST where I made fist as I swam. It sucked!! What is the point of this drill? I'm sure it's teaching me something but what? I felt like I had no control in the water and like I was just splashing around. Surprisingly I actually maintained slightly slower than my threshold pace which was really shocking.

Any ideas?

I can think of 2 things

A closed fist is much more effective when smacking someone during a race start. I AM KIDDING. Canadians are totally non violent.

I think it's to get you to feel the pull with your forearm.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. Good training for the mass swim start
2014-02-20 3:46 PM

User image

Seattle

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

2014-02-20 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

Crap - I'm torn on this one now!  I want the US to lose... but if the US loses, that means that Beibs will still be in the US.... And if I'm living in the US, that means he'll be here too.  ARGH - why do you have to torture me so, Salty???  

2014-02-20 4:22 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

Crap - I'm torn on this one now!  I want the US to lose... but if the US loses, that means that Beibs will still be in the US.... And if I'm living in the US, that means he'll be here too.  ARGH - why do you have to torture me so, Salty???  

Simple--US loses, you move back to Canada.  

2014-02-20 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Hey everyone! So I turned in an application for Zoo Atlanta yesterday...and they emailed me today and said it was a no--I found out from a keeper there that they hired within, which is kind of what I figured. Oh well.

BUT THEN.....

I got a text from my Curator at work asking me to call him--which is a little odd. so I did. He had told us all last week that he was taking a new position in April over at Dallas Zoo---at which point I had told him that it was kind of funny, cause they needed a new reptile keeper--and I should follow him there just to make his life difficult! Well..He looked into the position there ($$-wise) and basically, it will end up paying a bit more than here added to a lower cost of living...AND THEN....He also talked to another management person there, and apparently told them all about me in glowing terms....and now he suggested (strongly) that I submit an application there too. ---and that I would get my name at the top of the interview stack.

This would mean: I would move to Dallas--in which the zoo has some nifty animals I want to work with; I would make more money; I would work with a supervisor, knowing what to expect from him (which is encouragement for bettering one's career path--I appreciate that!); and I would still be able to take part in management programs, research, conservation programs, etc. AND they are planning on building a new reptile exhibit center! WIN!

Downside: They do have centipedes in their invert. collection...Eiiiw. I am like Yanti and Geckos when it comes to centipedes! But I think I can overlook it. I hope.

That's all for now! 

2014-02-20 4:34 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by kgore

Hey everyone! So I turned in an application for Zoo Atlanta yesterday...and they emailed me today and said it was a no--I found out from a keeper there that they hired within, which is kind of what I figured. Oh well.

BUT THEN.....

I got a text from my Curator at work asking me to call him--which is a little odd. so I did. He had told us all last week that he was taking a new position in April over at Dallas Zoo---at which point I had told him that it was kind of funny, cause they needed a new reptile keeper--and I should follow him there just to make his life difficult! Well..He looked into the position there ($$-wise) and basically, it will end up paying a bit more than here added to a lower cost of living...AND THEN....He also talked to another management person there, and apparently told them all about me in glowing terms....and now he suggested (strongly) that I submit an application there too. ---and that I would get my name at the top of the interview stack.

This would mean: I would move to Dallas--in which the zoo has some nifty animals I want to work with; I would make more money; I would work with a supervisor, knowing what to expect from him (which is encouragement for bettering one's career path--I appreciate that!); and I would still be able to take part in management programs, research, conservation programs, etc. AND they are planning on building a new reptile exhibit center! WIN!

Downside: They do have centipedes in their invert. collection...Eiiiw. I am like Yanti and Geckos when it comes to centipedes! But I think I can overlook it. I hope.

That's all for now! 

Awesome, awesome, awesome!  The sun is shining on you.  Hope it all works out, centipedes and all!

2014-02-20 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

BUT THEN.....

That's all for now! 

We are convinced that there are times when what you know matters more than what you know. This is one of those times for you. Combine who you know with what you know and I see a big WIN in your future!!!!

2014-02-20 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Nooooooooo 3 beers!

The game just got way more important!!!!

2014-02-20 5:09 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

BUT THEN.....

That's all for now! 

Sounds very promising - good luck!

2014-02-20 5:30 PM

User image

Master

BUT THEN.....

That's all for now! 

Fantastic! Always nice to know people appreciate your hard work and dedication. ..especially when it means positive changes could be in the works. :D
2014-02-20 7:28 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Oh! I gotta share this because I think you guys can appreciate the odd level of cuteness.

Tuesday night, Taylor was looking at my finisher's medal. He said it was the coolest one I've gotten, and really liked the map with desert creatures on the back (pic). He got a cloth and started shining it up for me. When he was done, he asked if he could take it to school to show his class. I paused for a few moments as I thought about sending my first marathon "medal" into his first-grade classroom for "share time". He looked at my face and said, "I promise I will take care of it, Mom." So we packed it up in a baggie and put it in his special backpack pocket.

It made the trip safely  

(20140220_182036.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20140220_182036.jpg (55KB - 4 downloads)
2014-02-20 8:17 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Its vacation week, and we hit Bodega Bay and Sausalito yesterday (nice little day road trip). Today I am just hanging out doing as little as possible (I have been VERY active since my race--needed a rest day!)and catching up on computer stuff. In doing so, I also checked out the job ads on AZA--Apparently Zoo Atlanta has an opening for a herp keeper....the pay most likely wont be an improvement, but living there we can rent a bigger house for about $500 less a month than here! AND Atlanta is building a new reptile/amphibian facility, so it looks like it could be a good idea....so--whaddya think Manatees (oh yes, the zoo also will or already has actual manatees!!!)? should I DOOOEEEET? 

I haven't heard from Ft. Worth yet, (I still have hope, but its getting harder.)and I figure I could handle having to choose between them....

I hear Atlanta's zoo is really nice. I hope it works out for you!
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25851 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38419 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18418 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.