BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-06-07 4:18 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Racing Manatees!!!

June 8-9
TJ - Eagle Up Ultra on Saturday
Robin P. - Lure of the Lake swim on Saturday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-06-07 4:30 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

June 8-9
TJ - Eagle Up Ultra on Saturday
Robin P. - Lure of the Lake swim on Saturday

Is anyone else racing?

Go TJ and Robin!!

2019-06-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Hanging my head in shame:
I bailed about 200 to 300 yards in. My heart rate was high and i was too dumb to get in the water and get used to to the temps, especially on my face. And then there was the ALGAE and smell!!! Lots of stringy algae. The lake was lowered 2 feet for the anticipated rains and I am a wuss. I know what is at the public beach (buzzard and goose poop) and it got in my head and i was really grossed out. It really wasnt awful by most standards, but as i mentioned, i am a wuss. And this is from someone who has swum (swimmed? Swam?) In the Hudson. I am just not used to MY lake being like that. So..i need to get my ass into the lake on less than pristine days to get over this.
2019-06-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
When I raced in Vietnam, I always tried VERY hard not to think about what might be in the water. Especially the year they had a major chemical spill just a ways up the coast. (Fortunately, the prevailing currents went the other way. But the race directors were worried enough about it that they got a couple of independent labs outside the country to verify the water quality.) I think every time I raced there, I ended up with a sore throat and sometimes other mild cold-like and/or gut symptoms for a couple days after. Singapore water almost always has this disturbing near-black opaque color and tastes faintly of diesel oil.

All in all, I'll take algae (at least the non-toxic kind), bird poop, and other naturally occurring yuck over chemical contaminants.
2019-06-08 3:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh Hanging my head in shame: I bailed about 200 to 300 yards in. My heart rate was high and i was too dumb to get in the water and get used to to the temps, especially on my face. And then there was the ALGAE and smell!!! Lots of stringy algae. The lake was lowered 2 feet for the anticipated rains and I am a wuss. I know what is at the public beach (buzzard and goose poop) and it got in my head and i was really grossed out. It really wasnt awful by most standards, but as i mentioned, i am a wuss. And this is from someone who has swum (swimmed? Swam?) In the Hudson. I am just not used to MY lake being like that. So..i need to get my into the lake on less than pristine days to get over this.

no reason to be ashamed, some days just aren’t our days! You got further in your swim than I did at lake Logan where I bailed after about 20 yards , the water was just too cold for me! 

2019-06-08 6:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Hanging my head in shame: I bailed about 200 to 300 yards in. My heart rate was high and i was too dumb to get in the water and get used to to the temps, especially on my face. And then there was the ALGAE and smell!!! Lots of stringy algae. The lake was lowered 2 feet for the anticipated rains and I am a wuss. I know what is at the public beach (buzzard and goose poop) and it got in my head and i was really grossed out. It really wasnt awful by most standards, but as i mentioned, i am a wuss. And this is from someone who has swum (swimmed? Swam?) In the Hudson. I am just not used to MY lake being like that. So..i need to get my into the lake on less than pristine days to get over this.

Oh Robin! I am so sorry to hear that this was not your day. Goose poop and stringy plant life is enough to get into anyone's head!

2019-06-08 6:40 PM

User image

Master

Oh Robin! I am so sorry to hear that this was not your day. Goose poop and stringy plant life is enough to get into anyone's head!

Agreed!  Get back in when you can, you'll work through it. 

2019-06-10 6:56 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Strava people, do you use any Strava add-ons? I am asking because I am checking out Klimat which adds weather data to your descriptions.  It's free. You can customize your descriptions for $5/year.

I also use Elevate sometimes.  That's a Chrome extension. It's kind of a Training Peaks Light.

Are there any other Strava tools that I should know about?

2019-06-10 8:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Strava people, do you use any Strava add-ons? I am asking because I am checking out Klimat which adds weather data to your descriptions.  It's free. You can customize your descriptions for $5/year.

I also use Elevate sometimes.  That's a Chrome extension. It's kind of a Training Peaks Light.

You seem to know all the cool stuff! Which is my way of saying that i don't know anything of value for you 

2019-06-10 10:49 AM
in reply to: #5259646

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I didn't know those existed and i am sure nor aware of.any others. I agree, you know all the cool stuff.
2019-06-10 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I've met you and the term wuss does NOT apply! Like Ann-Marie mentioned, some days are not your day. Get in and try again at a later date.

2019-06-10 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

The only remotely Strava-ish item I use is Relive, which makes fun little "videos" of rides. I don't do it often, but it is good for rides where I took many pictures, as it dials those in as well using GPS coordinates. I am looking at Komoot (GCN review) which is a bike ride planning app that can be used to plan and share rides. I need to do a bit more research, to see how viable it is in the US. I have begun looking into a newer bike computer, since running and swimming are currently not happening in my world. Not that this is Strava related, but since you like the tech side of things, I thought I'd share. Is anyone using anything like this for tracking? I'm sure TW wouldn't mind being able to keep an eye on my whereabouts during night or road rides.

2019-06-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by cdban66

I've met you and the term wuss does NOT apply! Like Ann-Marie mentioned, some days are not your day. Get in and try again at a later date.

I would barely set foot in a murky lake or even the ocean before taking on this insanity. I don't blame you a bit. I had some seaweed type of thing brush against my leg in one race and darn near had a panic attack. You made it further than I probably would have.
2019-06-10 12:07 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

I haven't used anything other than base Strava so I can't contribute. Just chiming in to say both Klimat and Elevate look pretty cool. Klimate in particular looks to be just one guy who clearly isn't looking to get rich based on the very affordable pricing.
2019-06-10 1:07 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by awm007

I haven't used anything other than base Strava so I can't contribute. Just chiming in to say both Klimat and Elevate look pretty cool. Klimate in particular looks to be just one guy who clearly isn't looking to get rich based on the very affordable pricing.

My Strava does not work properly, tried to uninstall and install again, and still have the same issue, so am now using RunKeeper, only to track the mileage. So no help from me :/ But the weather addition sounds neat, especially for someone who lives in the area known for unpredictable and constantly changing weather.
2019-06-10 1:10 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by IronOx

Agreed!  Get back in when you can, you'll work through it. 

Sorry for the algae and all other stuff during your swim :/ I agree with others, do not get discouraged! I am pretty sure there are plenty of nicer waters ahead

2019-06-10 1:22 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
THANK you for all the advice for my training, and planning, and racing.
I had a nice weekend in Wisconsin and got a chance to practice my outfit, nutrition, etc.... And did some longer rides and runs. No chaffing nor major discomfort from biking shorts, eating and drinking on the bike went well, but will need some modification for the race (smaller chunks every 30 minutes. I had bigger ones and after 2 hours it was too sweet for me...), also - Snickers will not work... on the hot day it melts completely. So I did Cliff bars. It was good to experiment, because it's hard to open them, so I will need to figure out the mechanics for the race day.
I got a chance to see how much water it takes on the run (had 2 sips every ten minutes). One small bottle lasted 2 hours, so I am planning two of those, just in case. There will be water stations, but there's never enough water.
My longest ride was less than 4 hours, and only did 47+ miles, but it was very hilly terrain (5K elevation gain), so I give myself a credit for all the climbing. I run for two hours after that, and used your advice of first hour being easy and slow. Actually, training in that hilly place was a good practice, because now I know every major hill I need to walk. There is no benefit on running it, and is a good moment for recovery. The run on a race day starts with the same 5% hill as bike, so I am planning to walk it. It would give me a chance to relax my legs after biking, catch a breath, and eat some chips (running and eating chips is not the most comfortable idea). The rest of the course of the race is pretty flat (trail, but flat).
I looked at the swim map, and it's a triangle, with 800m - 650 m - 480m, so I can think to myself these are three Sprint distances, and it makes me feel better. Although, I read yesterday that one person died and another ended up in the hospital in critical condition from the swim in IM Madison... And it freaked me out a little.

As for the marathon, I will see how I feel after the HIM. I will not push running training, if I do not feel recovered. If needed, I will change it to half marathon, and will still enjoy it.

Once again, thank you for your feedback!
2019-06-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by marysia83

THANK you for all the advice for my training, and planning, and racing....

That's awesome that you able to get some great training/practice in! I usually walk hills too. Otherwise my heart rate jumps up and never comes back down. It's not worth it to gain the few extra seconds of time.

Really glad you have a plan!
2019-06-10 7:50 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have actually been passed several times going up steep hills in trail races (and at Crater Lake half-marathon, which is on the road but at high altitude with some very long, steep hills) by people who were walking....while I was running! So yes, walking up short, steep hills is probably a very good strategy, particularly if you use the time to get in some good hydration and nutrition.

I have this very stupid ego thing about not walking in races. My coach insisted that I walk part of the aid stations in the full IM, and I did. That might be the only time, aside from my first marathon. I even jogged to the finish with my elbow bone in two chunks separated by more than half an inch. Clearly I need to learn to check my ego and walk when appropriate.
2019-06-11 11:10 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

The only remotely Strava-ish item I use is Relive, which makes fun little "videos" of rides. I don't do it often, but it is good for rides where I took many pictures, as it dials those in as well using GPS coordinates. I am looking at Komoot (GCN review) which is a bike ride planning app that can be used to plan and share rides. I need to do a bit more research, to see how viable it is in the US. I have begun looking into a newer bike computer, since running and swimming are currently not happening in my world. Not that this is Strava related, but since you like the tech side of things, I thought I'd share. Is anyone using anything like this for tracking? I'm sure TW wouldn't mind being able to keep an eye on my whereabouts during night or road rides.

I use RoadIDs free app and it works well.  Pro tip: be sure to set the time for your run or ride for a longer time than you are setting out for because if it times out, it simply stops.  Say you tell the app you're going for a 1 hour run but you end up running 1 hour, 15 minutes.  The app simply stops at an hour and you'll miss 15 minutes of tracking.  I set it for a ridiculous time, like 3 hours, 45 minutes which tends to cover anything I do the majority of the time.

You can set it to sound an alarm after 5 minutes of inactivity.  First it sounds the alarm to you and if you don't cancel/respond, it will notify whatever contacts you requested it to notify that you haven't moved and your most recent location.  My husband and I tested this one day.  I warned him of what I was going to do and didn't tell him where I was going running.  I ran for about 5 miles, then stopped in a church parking lot a couple miles from home, let the alarm sound, let it send the notification, and let him try to find me.  He found me quickly with no issue.

2019-06-11 2:00 PM
in reply to: #5259698

User image

Champion
Bronze member
I didn't know they had such an app. I am going to download it now..thank you

2019-06-11 2:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by melbo55

I use RoadIDs free app and it works well.  Pro tip: be sure to set the time for your run or ride for a longer time than you are setting out for because if it times out, it simply stops.  Say you tell the app you're going for a 1 hour run but you end up running 1 hour, 15 minutes.  The app simply stops at an hour and you'll miss 15 minutes of tracking.  I set it for a ridiculous time, like 3 hours, 45 minutes which tends to cover anything I do the majority of the time.

You can set it to sound an alarm after 5 minutes of inactivity.  First it sounds the alarm to you and if you don't cancel/respond, it will notify whatever contacts you requested it to notify that you haven't moved and your most recent location.  My husband and I tested this one day.  I warned him of what I was going to do and didn't tell him where I was going running.  I ran for about 5 miles, then stopped in a church parking lot a couple miles from home, let the alarm sound, let it send the notification, and let him try to find me.  He found me quickly with no issue.

My husband and I use RoadID as well. He likes seeing where I am when I'm biking in Boulder and I stalk him when he's trail running. I've even used it so my coach could find where I was and intercept me while I was on a really long bike when I was training for my IM.

I do make sure I text my husband when I make litterbox stops so he doesn't get worried about the 5 min stop alarm.

Edited by fortissimo 2019-06-11 2:23 PM
2019-06-11 2:26 PM

User image

I agree, don't be upset! The only time I've gotten sick after a race was when there was a lot of goose poop. And who knows, the stringy plants may have been Grindylow. I've been attacked by the Grindylow in the Boulder Rez many times and it still freaks me out.
2019-06-11 2:29 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by ceilidh

I didn't know they had such an app. I am going to download it now..thank you

I didn't know about this either. Very cool. I usually share my location with Glympse which is really meant for driving (it texts a link that anyone can click to see your location). It lacks all of the other features though that could be really valuable (such as emergency contacts displayed, an alarm and notification.). I'll definitely suggest this to my wife as well. We live right by a greenway which seems very safe, but you never know.

2019-06-11 2:39 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I have actually been passed several times going up steep hills in trail races (and at Crater Lake half-marathon, which is on the road but at high altitude with some very long, steep hills) by people who were walking....while I was running! So yes, walking up short, steep hills is probably a very good strategy, particularly if you use the time to get in some good hydration and nutrition.

OMG how true is this? I've been passed lots by walkers on steep hills! I'm like "why do I bother?"

Also regarding apps, google has put the location sharing back into maps. It's pretty cool - I just turn it on for my husband and 1 of my friends (you can put it on always or just for an hour so I just put it on and left it on) and at any given time they can see where my phone is (hopefully I'm with it).

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2019-06-11 2:40 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107