BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-02-24 8:49 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by bcraht

#Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooold!

Congrats, hockey gold sweepers!

2014-02-24 11:10 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by cdban66

Final build out on le Fantome' Fixie. Taking it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage. It seems a bit odd to have a computer on something so old school, but it will have my Timex on it, because a ride doesn't happen if you don't upload it somewhere. Or so I'm told.

Jealous. I love the look of fixie bikes. This one is really awesome!

2014-02-24 11:11 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by Artemis Updates on me:1. My new job is crazy busy. Sadly, there is not as much science as I would like. It's mostly just administrative and managing other people. 2. I am still looking for a job. I had some interest from a government job (they asked for more info, so I take that as a good sign). I also had a phone interview on Monday, but I don't feel very confident after it. Not sure how to improve their impression of me.3. Still tired and trying to get health things figured out. I have an endocrinology appointment next week.4. I'm working out a bit again. I went biking tonight.

I'm sorry the new job isn't what you had hoped for -- I hope you're able to find a better suited position.

2014-02-24 11:11 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Lazy arse actually did something VERY productive this weekend!! I swam in an endless pool for an hour and raised $600 for charity! It was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I also had a job interview yesterday - to nanny for a new family as my current job ends March 13th.  They were lovely.  two boys 8 & 10.  Keeps fingers crossed they liked me.

2014-02-24 11:12 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by amd723

Well I survived my trek through the Everglades.  Really it was touch and go for a while.  Here is the race report.  http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=511415&posts=1&page=1

I will give you a preview - I was 4th overall female and 1st Female Master (this just means I am officially old )

Excellent job!!!

2014-02-24 11:13 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Master
Central Kansas

Originally posted by Artemis
Originally posted by AsalzwedMl, ml what's a ml? Ran my 15k as a workout today. Did the first two miles easy and then closed faster. Ended up winning. It was quite hilly and we had a touch of snow. It was a really interesting distance to run. Two weeks until the HM.
Go you!! I like how you're so casual about winning.

So casual that I missed it! Congratulations.

2014-02-24 11:25 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by cdban66

Final build out on le Fantome' Fixie. Taking it out tomorrow for it's maiden voyage. It seems a bit odd to have a computer on something so old school, but it will have my Timex on it, because a ride doesn't happen if you don't upload it somewhere. Or so I'm told.

Wow, great work, Chris!  I'm digging the color scheme.  Can't wait to hear about her first outing!

Thanks, it came out better than I planned. The first trip out was an eye opener. I thought I could ride pretty well, but I learned I have a few weaknesses, namely strength and cadence, which was what I suspected. First off, the fixed rear wheel forces you to keep pedaling, even if you don't want to.  From what I have read, this is where many (more male than female) riders lose time. We have a tendency to coast, and this will NOT allow that. And starting on this bike forces me to push. Hard. Also, anything new (different?) makes me focus a bit on what I am doing, be it new running shoes, new bike, new toys in the pool, etc. And focus, at least for me, is a good thing, as it forced me to look at what needs help and work from there.

Outside of that, it gave me the opportunity to build a bike that is truly "mine". I learned a bit there as well, so that can't be a bad thing can it? And now I have another itch to scratch, namely bike mechanics. I have to learn more on this. So that is another positive. Or not, because my wallet may take a hit on this 

I actually have to thank Adrienne a bit for this, because she once threw out a "Run With a Purpose" challenge. I kind of took that to heart on the bike as well and this bike will give some of my rides a bit of a different and more focused purpose.

2014-02-24 11:27 AM
in reply to: Triathlynne

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Lynne, that is so cool!!!! Congrats and good luck on the new job.

2014-02-24 11:56 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Triathlynne

Lazy arse actually did something VERY productive this weekend!! I swam in an endless pool for an hour and raised $600 for charity! It was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

I also had a job interview yesterday - to nanny for a new family as my current job ends March 13th.  They were lovely.  two boys 8 & 10.  Keeps fingers crossed they liked me.

Lazy people don't swim for an hour and raise over $600, hence, you aren't lazy!    Keeping my fingers crossed for you in your new job quest.

2014-02-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Hey all!

Work has kept me pretty busy lately and pretty cranky.

Hope every one is doing well - Lynne that is pretty kick a$$ - nice job!

Thanks to everyone checking in!
2014-02-24 12:16 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Rad bike, Chris!!! I would love to do a little project like that. I love fixies.

Here is my RACE REPORT

2014-02-24 1:10 PM

User image

Seattle

Nice work, that is INTENSE! 

2014-02-24 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

/>

That's cool!
2014-02-24 3:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Well I survived having my wisdom teeth removed this morning. Feeling pretty good (with the assistance of meds)So we are nascar fans and yesterday was the Daytona 500. Yesterday they played this cool commercial. Jimmie Johnson, the driver of the Lowes 48 is DHs favorite driver and he and my driver (not inthe commercial) both did a HM in daytona within the last week or so. Jimmie also does triathlons. I love thatseveral of the focus on their physical health and I think it shows in their driving performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xfh4HAaL_I&feature=youtube_gdata_pl...

Edited by rrrunner 2014-02-24 3:22 PM
2014-02-24 4:24 PM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Well I got offered the job but I am going to interview with another family this week to keep my options open.  Great benefit package with the first job too, HEALTHCARE after 30 days! Can't believe I'll have healthcare again. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 401K too.  This means NOW I can definately buy that Honda Fit I've been wanting for EONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So excited!

2014-02-24 5:42 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Hey all!

Work has kept me pretty busy lately and pretty cranky.
Oh good it's not just me. Sorry I know that doesn't sound nice but I feel better that I'm not the only one. My boss actually said to me a week or so ago "is everything ok you have been very grumpy lately, I've been scared you are gonna snap my head off."

I managed to bite my tongue and say "yep, Phil's not well and just really busy and tired" I wanted to add and sick of doing your job and our accounts clerk's who has just left and want to JUST DO MY OWN but I didn't.

All I can say is bring on 4 weeks of leave when the puppies arrive in a week and a half. I'm looking forward to it.

2014-02-24 6:36 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Running Manatees I need advise!  As you know, I ran a 25k trail race last weekend.  This weekend I have a road HM.  I had a complete brain fart when I signed up for this weekend's race thinking it was 2 weeks after the 25k, not 1 week.  I am trying to figure out how much to run this week.  I was thinking 5-6 miles tuesday and wednesday, and 2-3 friday and saturday.  Figure I will keep the tuesday and wednesday runs easy and on the shorter runs throw in some faster intervals.  thoughts (besides, "what were you thinking?" )?

2014-02-24 6:45 PM

User image

Master

Awesome on the swim, and the job offer!

2014-02-24 6:47 PM

User image

Seattle

Running Manatees I need advise!  As you know, I ran a 25k trail race last weekend.  This weekend I have a road HM.  I had a complete brain fart when I signed up for this weekend's race thinking it was 2 weeks after the 25k, not 1 week.  I am trying to figure out how much to run this week.  I was thinking 5-6 miles tuesday and wednesday, and 2-3 friday and saturday.  Figure I will keep the tuesday and wednesday runs easy and on the shorter runs throw in some faster intervals.  thoughts (besides, "what were you thinking?" )?

Honestly everything you do is for your own piece of mind. Nothing will help your performance but a lot of things can hurt it.

What you have proposed sounds fine to me (although i didn't look at your typical volume)  Switch your focus to good hydration and fueling.

2014-02-24 7:03 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Honestly everything you do is for your own piece of mind. Nothing will help your performance but a lot of things can hurt it.

What you have proposed sounds fine to me (although i didn't look at your typical volume)  Switch your focus to good hydration and fueling.

Thanks. Over the last 3 months or so my run volume has been b/w 30-36 mpw. My HM times are usually around 1:52-1:55, so nutrition isn't normally an issue, but last week's race taught me that when I am in a race where I do need nutrition and more than typical hydration, I screw it up royally!
2014-02-24 7:26 PM

User image

Seattle

Thanks. Over the last 3 months or so my run volume has been b/w 30-36 mpw. My HM times are usually around 1:52-1:55, so nutrition isn't normally an issue, but last week's race taught me that when I am in a race where I do need nutrition and more than typical hydration, I screw it up royally!
Nah, I mean eating a hydrating to recover. Especially since it sounds like it was quite hot. Also, eating and hydrating to prepare for competition.

2014-02-24 7:32 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Nah, I mean eating a hydrating to recover. Especially since it sounds like it was quite hot. Also, eating and hydrating to prepare for competition.
Lol, obviously that is not anything I've ever considered!
2014-02-24 7:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

. DP

Edited by amd723 2014-02-24 7:34 PM
2014-02-24 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Been working with a chiropractor on my knee.  IT band, apparently.  I did a session on Friday and one today.  She told me to do a short test run this evening to see how the progress was going.

I ran a mile without hurting!!  Fantastic!  There's still hope for the HM in April!

After she cleans up the ITBS, she's going to do some work on the PF as well.

If this keeps up, I should get her flowers or something.

2014-02-25 4:47 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Expert
Noosa
Just checking in, life is a bit hectic at the moment. My in-laws are STILL staying with us, they never seem to go to bed and just sit up watching TV while dozing or snoring on the lounge. I want my house back!

I had another flat this morning and haven't had time to get some new tubes so I had to walk back, luckily I'd only gone 10 mins. I need to buy a new set of Conti GP4000's ASAP.

I've also started up a new part of the business last week which was pushed on me a bit, I'm not sure if I like it yet but possibly the hours will be better so we'll see. I'll catch on the posts tomorrow.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25842 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38405 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18415 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.