BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2014-09-26 12:33 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
, California
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!!

Originally posted by brigby1

The frequency for running is another good thing to bring up. Volume through frequency. It doesn't stack up as well as bike volume tends to.

I did great with high volume (Pfitz 55) over the winter and ran pretty well at IMNZ in March.  I focused more on the bike during the summer and ran less miles / more speed and got hurt.  So ... know your body and its limits.

I've learned for me, I do fine with tempo runs but I have to be very careful on doing short hard intervals.  Looking back in my logs, most of the time I'm fine, but when I hurt something, that's usually what does it.

2014-09-26 2:36 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by Jason N

Anyone using Skratch or Osmo for hydration on the bike?

I use Skratch too.  I like the flavor (pineapple and raspberry) and have had no issues with it.  You looking to make a change?

Yeah...looking to do what Marc mentioned and move to hydration that has less sugar and more electrolytes.  I was finding that with normal sports drinks I was taking in more sugar than I preferred and could have used more electrolytes...especially when it gets hot.  To get more electrolytes, I was taking gels...which just meant more sugar.  Salt tabs were just too cumbersome unless I was at a rest stop.  

I really like eating fig bars on the bike now.  Buy them buy the box at Costco and they're pretty easy to manage.  But since they lack electrolytes, it was getting a little gross washing them down with gatorade, or mixing them with gels to get everything I needed.  

2014-09-26 2:39 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Anyone using Skratch or Osmo for hydration on the bike?

I use Skratch too.  I like the flavor (pineapple and raspberry) and have had no issues with it.  You looking to make a change?

Yeah...looking to do what Marc mentioned and move to hydration that has less sugar and more electrolytes.  I was finding that with normal sports drinks I was taking in more sugar than I preferred and could have used more electrolytes...especially when it gets hot.  To get more electrolytes, I was taking gels...which just meant more sugar.  Salt tabs were just too cumbersome unless I was at a rest stop.  

I really like eating fig bars on the bike now.  Buy them buy the box at Costco and they're pretty easy to manage.  But since they lack electrolytes, it was getting a little gross washing them down with gatorade, or mixing them with gels to get everything I needed.  

You can even throw a GU Brew in the scratch if you want a lot of sodium.

Also, the little salt stick dispenser works really well if you want to do just water and electrolytes.
2014-09-26 2:49 PM
in reply to: marcag

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-09-26 7:30 PM
in reply to: Fred D

Elite
PEI, Canada

Back home after taking 4 days to slowly make our way home from the race and stopping to ride in a couple of places.  Didn't get to Ottawa Marc, we went down in the Thousand Islands area instead.  Only rode for about an hour around there as we were a bit behind schedule but it was pretty nice along there.

I installed the new Power2Max PM on my road bike today.  It was easier than I was expecting, at least for the PM/crankset itself.  The only difficult part was getting the old crankset off - had to go buy an 8mm allen wrench with a long arm that I could put some torque on to loosen it.  The other tricky part was that I had to adjust the FD since I was going from a standard crankset to a compact.  Probably took me an hour to get it set right that it would shift properly!  Went for a short ride with both it and my PT going to compare - the numbers were very close.  AP was the same, NP was different by 1w.  The only big difference I saw was the maximum power which was 32w higher on the PT.

I'm going to go back and review the last few days of posts, you guys were busy!  Hoping to get my RR done this weekend.  Also thinking of doing a bike race....

2014-09-27 5:16 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by spudone

The frequency for running is another good thing to bring up. Volume through frequency. It doesn't stack up as well as bike volume tends to.

I did great with high volume (Pfitz 55) over the winter and ran pretty well at IMNZ in March.  I focused more on the bike during the summer and ran less miles / more speed and got hurt.  So ... know your body and its limits.

I've learned for me, I do fine with tempo runs but I have to be very careful on doing short hard intervals.  Looking back in my logs, most of the time I'm fine, but when I hurt something, that's usually what does it.

That knowing yourself is something I've been learning, and I'm seeing where Daniels really stresses it throughout the book. There are the same various systems to be worked in everyone, but the finer points of working on them can (and do) vary between each runner. Some of his long racers have done better with some shorter track work included, others do better without. The plans he has in the back have very specific things to do, but from all the reading in the book I think he would really encourage making necessary adjustments to be able to keep training.

The injury trouble I've had in the past has been more from too much pushing around the edge of Z3, or into the lower part of Z3. It looks confusing at first trying to figure out what went wrong as it's been on an easy run just as often as a harder one, and sometimes early in the run. But when looking back over logs I can see like 3 days in a row where HR was right up along that edge for a good part of the run. Just about every time.

The Repetition pace work (R-Pace) has been fine. They're rather short and I'm really not supposed to take it very deep with them. Most of them are 200's as well, not very long in duration. Pacing is the same whether it's 200's, 400's or 600's for what he does. I also do them with a bit of a slope, which does slow it down a touch and also helps me find a better landing. Eventually I'll be getting in more I-pace, or his VO2 level work. These ones can be tricky as they have given some issues before and I've had trouble just being able to execute at that intensity. I've learned some things on the bike, however, that may help with this. Like putting in a mild progression for them. I'll also be using various grades of hills, especially earlier on, as I've had success with this too. I do plan on getting into some hillier runs, so another reason to include them.

Though I've had success in running without doing things like I-Pace much, I still want to figure out how to incorporate it to develop my running even more so. Might be similar to how working a lot of sweet spot on the bike can bring some very nice gains for awhile, but eventually flattens out. Need to work some other areas to keep on progressing effectively.

Edited by brigby1 2014-09-27 5:21 PM

2014-09-28 5:49 AM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
...at home in The ATL

That knowing yourself is something I've been learning...

Not running, but am going to get to see just how well I know myself today - rolling out on one of our classic centuries (Six Gap, 12k feet of climbing, 104 miles) and low-and-behold, my power meter crapped out a couple of days ago. So, yeah - I think I am officially over the fence with quarq. I have to return it next week, and they will most likely replace it under warranty (again), but that will be my 5th one in 4 years. And the last time it flaked out on me was the day before IMLP. No biggie - if I was that worked up about I would have swapped my vectors over, but didn't want to have to wear my triathlon shoes nor monkey around with my fit. Hope you all are doing something fun today!

2014-09-28 6:44 AM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy
think I am officially over the fence with quarq. I have to return it next week, and they will most likely replace it under warranty (again), but that will be my 5th one in 4 years.

That really sucks

What model is it ? What is it doing wrong ?

I believe Quarq has improved the quality in their later generation, Rikken, Elsa.....but they did compensate for poorer quality with great service in their previous model. I had a CinQo and I feel much better about my Rikken. They probably do however have some kinks in their firmware.

You wonder how all these new powermeters announced will do in their first incarnation.

Edited by marcag 2014-09-28 7:03 AM
2014-09-28 11:10 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

2014-09-28 11:13 AM

2014-09-28 12:19 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D

Hey Marc, I have been researching resting heart rate variability quite a lot, and I know you have used it as well. Any pointers you could give. It likes like rMSSD in the am is the metric most reliable. Appreciate any thoughts.

I am far from an expert on this.

I have been using iThlete and there is a rMSSD/Ithlete score correlation.
I have simply been collecting data with the plan to see if I could correlate it to CTL, ATL, TSB, best power numbers, low HR/pace.....But so far it's just been data collection

Not having had a great summer, I was seldom "in the hole" training wise, but the 3 times I was, iThlete definitely picked it up.

I did not want to spend much until I figured this out, so a Bluetooth strap, my iPhone and a $5 app was well worth it.

I do take my score first thing in the morning, before coffee

Edited by marcag 2014-09-28 12:20 PM

2014-09-28 12:58 PM

Elite
PEI, Canada

So, pigs have flown here.  A triathlete won a road race, and it was me!    A bit weird how it turned out with an early crash that split things up a bit and caused a few mechanicals but we had a group of 3 tri people off the front after we got going again after the crash and it stayed that way.  Really strong winds kept anyone not in a group from catching back up.

2014-09-28 3:32 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Congratulations!
(but I don't believe in the analogy as you are certainly a very respectable cyclist...)
2014-09-29 9:00 AM

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by axteraa

So, pigs have flown here.  A triathlete won a road race, and it was me!    A bit weird how it turned out with an early crash that split things up a bit and caused a few mechanicals but we had a group of 3 tri people off the front after we got going again after the crash and it stayed that way.  Really strong winds kept anyone not in a group from catching back up.

Awesome Job, Arend - interested to know what was going through your head once the field split - you guys must have been running for your life!!

2014-09-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
...at home in The ATL

Ron posted that supposedly they finally got auto-import from Garmin Connect working with the BT logs:

1 - Make sure you have a Garmin Connect Account and Garmin Express Installed.

2 - In BT, go to Settings--> Training log --> Device Upload. Click on the button to link your accounts.

3 - Any workout manually imported in Garmin Connect (TCX, FIT, GPX) will automatically get sent to BT along with any workouts Garmin Express gets from your device.

Just set mine up - will see how it does. Will be interesting to see if it only grabs the stuff that is uploaded directly to garmin connect or if it also grabs stuff pushed over from training peaks (i.e. swims) by Taparik.

2014-09-29 9:47 AM

Elite
Ontario

Ron posted that supposedly they finally got auto-import from Garmin Connect working with the BT logs:

2 - In BT, go to Settings--> Training log --> Device Upload. Click on the button to link your accounts.

3 - Any workout manually imported in Garmin Connect (TCX, FIT, GPX) will automatically get sent to BT along with any workouts Garmin Express gets from your device.

Just set mine up - will see how it does. Will be interesting to see if it only grabs the stuff that is uploaded directly to garmin connect or if it also grabs stuff pushed over from training peaks (i.e. swims) by Taparik.

Cool - going to have to try this tonight. 

2014-09-29 9:48 AM

Elite
Ontario

Awesome Job, Arend - interested to know what was going through your head once the field split - you guys must have been running for your life!!

X2 - awesome job Arend.

2014-09-29 9:59 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

Well, the way it went down was that there was a group of about 10 of us riding when the crash happened - somehow a water bottle was either dropped or ejected and the poor kid (he's 18 I think) rode over it.  We all stopped to make sure he was ok and helped him get the bike straightened out.  Then as we restarted, there were a few people who had issues that didn't realize it until trying to restart and that is ultimately what split things up - some were going again and others either had to fix the issue or got caught behind them.  I was somewhat in the middle and had to ride hard to get back on the front group of 4 or 5.  That group eventually shed a couple and that left the 3 of us and I don't think anyone ever got any sort of organization going behind us to chase.  A couple of the stronger guys that could have done it dropped out - one broke a chain and a couple others had flats.  We could see 3 guys about a minute down for the first lap and a bit but after that we never saw them again, I think they ended up as singles rather than a group working together.

2014-09-29 10:00 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada

I've got mine setup and will have a run to upload after work.  First run since Barrelman - should be.... fun....   

2014-09-29 1:42 PM

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by TankBoy think I am officially over the fence with quarq. I have to return it next week, and they will most likely replace it under warranty (again), but that will be my 5th one in 4 years.
That really sucks What model is it ? What is it doing wrong ? I believe Quarq has improved the quality in their later generation, Rikken, Elsa.....but they did compensate for poorer quality with great service in their previous model. I had a CinQo and I feel much better about my Rikken. They probably do however have some kinks in their firmware. You wonder how all these new powermeters announced will do in their first incarnation.

My 975 is working fine after 14k miles.  I was kind of hoping it would break before next March just so I can get a free upgrade to the Riken.  

I think power meter experiences can be a bit hit or miss depending on who you ask.  The only two people I know with the G3 powertaps had to send theirs back for repairs.  One of them had to send it back twice.  Both owned them for less than 18 months.  My older generation PT worked fine for 20k miles.

Sort of like Iphones and Galaxy S(X) users.  Both will either swear by their phones, or swear at them.  

2014-09-29 1:48 PM

Well, the way it went down was that there was a group of about 10 of us riding when the crash happened - somehow a water bottle was either dropped or ejected and the poor kid (he's 18 I think) rode over it.  We all stopped to make sure he was ok and helped him get the bike straightened out.  Then as we restarted, there were a few people who had issues that didn't realize it until trying to restart and that is ultimately what split things up - some were going again and others either had to fix the issue or got caught behind them.  I was somewhat in the middle and had to ride hard to get back on the front group of 4 or 5.  That group eventually shed a couple and that left the 3 of us and I don't think anyone ever got any sort of organization going behind us to chase.  A couple of the stronger guys that could have done it dropped out - one broke a chain and a couple others had flats.  We could see 3 guys about a minute down for the first lap and a bit but after that we never saw them again, I think they ended up as singles rather than a group working together.

SMH...you're leaving out the best part!!!  

What was the winning move?  Just rode them off your wheel?  Attacked a hill?  Sprint finish?  Gave them..."the look.."?

2014-09-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada

SMH...you're leaving out the best part!!!  

What was the winning move?  Just rode them off your wheel?  Attacked a hill?  Sprint finish?  Gave them..."the look.."?

With about 3k to go, I put in a surge as one of the guys was dropping to the back of the paceline after a pull to see if he would fall off the back and he did (the poor kid that crashed - we just used him, lol).  Then inside of 1k to go there was a short hill, the 2nd guy attacked going up that and I had to hang on for dear life to stay with him, then a right hand turn with 400m to go and he went hard out of the turn but I was able to stay with him and from there I had the advantage of coming around him out of the draft.

2014-09-29 2:49 PM

With about 3k to go, I put in a surge as one of the guys was dropping to the back of the paceline after a pull to see if he would fall off the back and he did (the poor kid that crashed - we just used him, lol).  Then inside of 1k to go there was a short hill, the 2nd guy attacked going up that and I had to hang on for dear life to stay with him, then a right hand turn with 400m to go and he went hard out of the turn but I was able to stay with him and from there I had the advantage of coming around him out of the draft.

NICE!!!  Extremely well played.  400m is a LONG WAY to go...silly triathlete...

2014-09-29 3:13 PM

2014-09-29 3:14 PM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia ~~~~ Permanently OPEN!! Rss Feed  

of 114

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Fun In the Sun Mentor Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38188 Posts: 743

2015-03-16 2:42 AM scubabrad02

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73626 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.