BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-06-21 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4272921

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED
Fred D - 2012-06-21 8:02 AMI spoke with Bryan yesterday and we had a good talk. He sends his regards to everyone in this group as he went out of his way to say he thought this was a really great mentor group. What's on tap for today? I had a 20' run and that's all I have time for. Still on the fence about IMMT, but will see how my body handles more consistent running.

Really glad to hear that Bryan is doing well - hi Bryan if you are still reading this thread. I don't mean to get the topic fired up again, but I just wanted to say that it seems like such a joke. Even though I have been aware of BT for a long time I have only been an active user for 1.5 years. It is dumb to say now, but just from the name of the site I never really thought it would have much to offer to more experienced racers. I got involved in BT after doing a google search for IMLP race and course info. The treasure trove of information shared by Fred, James, and others in the 2010 thread was beyond belief. When Fred started his next mentor group I jumped at the chance to join. From there I started reading the main forum and gleaned tons of information from experienced and gifted folks like Bryan - even though it never really made sense to me what they got out of the exchange. It sure seemed like a pretty selfless activity on their part. While I have not been around long enough to lament the loss of the "good ol' days" of BT, it did not take me too long to get burned in the main forums by the baloney. It was input from folks like Bryan that were the only reason that I continued to pay much attention to the goings on there at all. It really is our loss that Bryan's ban includes mentor and race groups. I explained in my communication to the BT gods that I would be more than happy to sign a waiver of liability and agree to hold BT harmless in the event that Bryan ever offended my delicate sensibilities if only he were allowed to at least participate here where his guidance is both welcome and desired. Oh, well.

2012-06-21 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4124687

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-06-21 11:58 AM
in reply to: #4273497

Champion
Rudedog55 - 2012-06-21 10:17 AM

I think a certain poster on this forum has just jumped the shark.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=447028&posts=19#M4273487

I don't know why I clicked on that. I can't take that back now.
2012-06-21 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4273587

Edited by Fred D 2012-06-21 12:14 PM
2012-06-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: #4273198

Extreme Veteran
juniperjen - 2012-06-21 9:11 AM
GoFaster - 2012-06-21 9:15 AM

Marc - just curious, have you ridden Muskoka and Tremblant?  I wonder how the two courses compare.

Excellent question - i would also be interested to hear - I am signed up for IMMT and have done Muskoka as my only 70.3 ...

I rode Muskoka on the computrainer and the CT never properly represents the course in my opinion. My impression of it was rolling hills but never need to get out of the saddle with a compact and/or a 11/28 casette

Tremblant is like that for 70km (rolling hills) but then a 10km stretch that has some 12 and 14% grades. They are short. It is not like the IMMT map that says 12% for several kms. I was 12%, flat, 8%, a bit down, 14%....I was running a compact, 11-28 and pushing 350+ watts going up. That was fine in an Oly. I would be concerned about burning matches on long distance. I would not be looking forward to it with 160km in my legs. A friend did Muskoka, Mooseman and will be doing the 70.3. I will see how his splits compare.

For a 70.3 I think it's fine, for an IM, I guess I would be conservative first loop, do duplessis, see how it is and adjust the second loop.

After the 10km stretch, you have 10km of more downhill to recover which was perfect for an Oly.

I did Syracuse and that starts with a lot of climbing but it's at the start. I have never done a race where the hard climbing is at the end. I would be sure you have easy gearing and leave some gas in the tank.

Edited by marcag 2012-06-21 12:38 PM
2012-06-21 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4273426

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
mndymond - 2012-06-21 11:48 AM
juniperjen - 2012-06-21 9:25 AM
mndymond - 2012-06-21 11:21 AM
juniperjen - 2012-06-21 9:11 AM

Just for interest sake and talking about hills - here's the route map for a local 'semi organized' run that hits a lot of the hills in my neighbourhood - they call it the Marquis de Sade 21k - i've never officially run it (I haven't done it all at one time) but most of those parts do form either my hilly run or hilly bike ...

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3929362

In heading out to TO at the end of Aug for an elective at Sunnybrook. Might have to come do some hills! Haha

Hahaha - awesome! There are lots of great hills right around Sunnybrook too!  I think one of the other great places and maybe even better for runners/cyclists in Toronto is along the Don Valley (where Sunnybrook backs on to)  - it's just a pain for me to get to ...

Maybe I'll be hcore and do a run to work one day. I'm staying downtown on King St so I could run one way and transit the other. We will see! I'm excited to come out to TO! Never really been aside from stop overs at Pearson. Good to know there is a healthy tri community there!

Very exciting!! Yes! Lots of triathletes, runners, etc!  And a great time to be here.  Definitely a plan to run to/from work - and you would seem hardcore - going north is pretty well always uphill - not always big uphill but away from the lake there is a climb!

Are you here during the Toronto Triathlon Festival (new race this year) or the Toronto Island Tri - a couple of good local race options in August!

I was out for a team event where we went to see the Blue Jays and i was looking around as we were out where we could see the waterfront, the city skyline and the island and thought, 'wow, Toronto is really nice!'  Which is funny since i've lived here for about 10 years but it takes getting out of my routine to see  it sometimes.

2012-06-21 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4273294

GoFaster - 2012-06-21 4:48 AM

Race timing question.  My HIM is in September, and I'm now considering racing an Olympic 3 weeks before hand.  Partly because I haven't done an Oly in a couple of years, partly to see how I do at the course since the ride is quite hilly, similar to the HIM.

Just wondering if I get any benefit out of doing this race, or if it's just too close to my A race.

I actually think it's pretty good timing.  I did a Oly 3 weeks out last year, and 2 weeks out this year.  2 weeks was a little close, but I made it work by making sure my plan had the biggest weeks 3-5 weeks out, so I could do a mini taper for the Oly, then kind of cruise it in to the HIM.  I wouldn't suggest doing an Oly 2-3 weeks out if you're way behind on your training though.

2012-06-21 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4273601

Fred D - 2012-06-21 7:01 AM Good stuff. I think Bryan just feels bad that he can't be part of the mentor groups as he contributes to Kelly's as well. I think he feels bad that he didn't het a chance to rebut some of the story that was presented by the BT powers that be. Then again it's their site so they can do what they want, but my suspicion is that there will be a steady drizzle away of many experienced posters from the main forums. I was going to slowly let more good contributors join this group so we could at least have good discussions about tri related stuff....except no posting of furry animals or implying weight loss is the key to getting faster for all women....

I'm surprised that Bryan just doesn't create another user account specifically for posting in mentor groups, but I guess he doesn't want to chance losing access to his logs, etc.  I downloaded all my log info to a .csv file just in case btw...

2012-06-21 2:10 PM

If you haven't done it, read Rudy's HIM report.  Sat and read it while waiting in court this morning.  No, you won't gain any triathlon secrets, or even learn how to race properly (probably the opposite), but you will be entertained.  Nice report Rudy.  I like the refusal to back down from conventional wisdom  
2012-06-21 2:12 PM

Planning to do some hill climbing today.  Hopefully I don't bonk like I did last week.

Drooling over the new SuperSix EVO with the improved Hollowgram SISL crank.  484 grams (for the compact crankset)...holy crap. 

2012-06-21 2:15 PM

Have an Oly this Sunday.  Would love to break 2:30, I think it might be possible as it's a flat course.  Last year at about 30# heavier I went 2:37. 

But not really tapering for it.  Today I have masters swim (4K) plus probably a 4-5 mile run. 

2012-06-21 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4273926

ChrisM - 2012-06-21 9:10 AM If you haven't done it, read Rudy's HIM report.  Sat and read it while waiting in court this morning.  No, you won't gain any triathlon secrets, or even learn how to race properly (probably the opposite), but you will be entertained.  Nice report Rudy.  I like the refusal to back down from conventional wisdom  

Yes...once I read the first paragraph about how his report may come off as cocky...I knew it was going to be a good one.  And chicks dig the bike split.

2012-06-21 2:55 PM
in reply to: #4273964

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
tri808 - 2012-06-21 3:27 PM

ChrisM - 2012-06-21 9:10 AM If you haven't done it, read Rudy's HIM report.  Sat and read it while waiting in court this morning.  No, you won't gain any triathlon secrets, or even learn how to race properly (probably the opposite), but you will be entertained.  Nice report Rudy.  I like the refusal to back down from conventional wisdom  

Yes...once I read the first paragraph about how his report may come off as cocky...I knew it was going to be a good one.  And chicks dig the bike split.

Chris i am glad you liked it.  I do wonder how many people i did offend though. It has gotten a lot of reads.

Seriously though, i know my limitations, some self imposed, some because i am lazy, some because of size, i really do try to race hard the whole way, it is not like i gave up and walked jokingly the entire run as a slap in the face to the guys who actually race all 3 disciplines well.  I played my hand, and i will stick to my guns, regardless how wrong i am, in-spite of myself.  Its a crap load more fun that way, lol.  And that is half the battle.

2012-06-21 2:59 PM
in reply to: #4274023

2012-06-21 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4273929

2012-06-21 3:03 PM

Rudedog55 - 2012-06-21 12:55 PM

Chris i am glad you liked it.  I do wonder how many people i did offend though. It has gotten a lot of reads.

Seriously though, i know my limitations, some self imposed, some because i am lazy, some because of size, i really do try to race hard the whole way, it is not like i gave up and walked jokingly the entire run as a slap in the face to the guys who actually race all 3 disciplines well.  I played my hand, and i will stick to my guns, regardless how wrong i am, in-spite of myself.  Its a crap load more fun that way, lol.  And that is half the battle.

I will say, however, that someone that went from a 11:20 pace per HIM mile last year to a 9:20 pace per HIM this year, I don't think you're a lost cause at HIM.  Yet    Having read the "I blew up" posts, I was expecting a 6 + time.  5:14 with that collapse shows (I think) potential.

2012-06-21 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4273935

2012-06-21 3:19 PM
in reply to: #4273697

2012-06-21 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4273935

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
ChrisM - 2012-06-21 3:15 PM

Have an Oly this Sunday.  Would love to break 2:30, I think it might be possible as it's a flat course.  Last year at about 30# heavier I went 2:37. 

But not really tapering for it.  Today I have masters swim (4K) plus probably a 4-5 mile run. 

You'll rock it! Have a great race

2012-06-21 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4274077

Extreme Veteran

PM me your email if you want a computrainer file of 2x the last 20km of the IM course.

It's pretty accurate.

2012-06-21 6:44 PM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

kind of funny and off topic a bit, but at home Fred's pic is Bryan, but at work Fred's pic is Fred and his daughter.

i wonder why that is??

2012-06-21 6:49 PM

Pro
Rudedog55 - 2012-06-21 3:55 PM

I'm here, reading about your crushing people dreams on the bike... and I got to this part and literally started laughing

"What would you do differently?:

go harder on the bike"

(which later made sense, but at the time, seemed line an entirely unreasonable idea)

... and this ...

" i don't suck wheels and farts sitting in a draft during bike races"

2012-06-22 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4273914

Elite
Ontario
tri808 - 2012-06-21 3:04 PM

Race timing question.  My HIM is in September, and I'm now considering racing an Olympic 3 weeks before hand.  Partly because I haven't done an Oly in a couple of years, partly to see how I do at the course since the ride is quite hilly, similar to the HIM.

Just wondering if I get any benefit out of doing this race, or if it's just too close to my A race.

I actually think it's pretty good timing.  I did a Oly 3 weeks out last year, and 2 weeks out this year.  2 weeks was a little close, but I made it work by making sure my plan had the biggest weeks 3-5 weeks out, so I could do a mini taper for the Oly, then kind of cruise it in to the HIM.  I wouldn't suggest doing an Oly 2-3 weeks out if you're way behind on your training though.

Thanks Jason - that makes sense, and makes me think I may do this race.  I'm certainly trying to get in a big bulk of the training now, rather than too close to the actual HIM.  So if I race the Oly 3 weeks before, then plan one more big ride (in the 60mile range) the following week, does that sound like it makes sense?

I'm going completely plan free this year for the HIM.  Actually, that's not entirely true as I'm following a HM plan while training for the HIM.  I just found that strictly following a plan was difficult to do.  I would be trying to force fit specific distances, times, etc. into my life and sometimes they wouldn't fit, and then I'd either try to make up for them or get down on myself for having missed workouts.  In the end it seemed to be a lot more work just trying to follow the plan.

So this year, I'm winging it.  Doesn't mean I don't have an idea of what I plan to accomplish every week, or the timing, but if I need to make adjustements for life situations, then I'm finding it a little easier.  I'm also listening to my body rather than the plan when it comes to intensity.  The goal is to push a lot of the workouts a bit outside my comfort zone, but if that doesn't happen on the day, I'm going to try and beat myself up less about missing the completely made up target in my head rather than what I saw as a very fixed target written down on some plan.

We'll see how this works out over the next few weeks, but I'm enjoying this approach so far, and body wise, considering the current volume, I'm probably feeling the best I have at this level of training.

2012-06-22 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4274923

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
GoFaster - 2012-06-22 8:54 AM
tri808 - 2012-06-21 3:04 PM

Thanks Jason - that makes sense, and makes me think I may do this race.  I'm certainly trying to get in a big bulk of the training now, rather than too close to the actual HIM.  So if I race the Oly 3 weeks before, then plan one more big ride (in the 60mile range) the following week, does that sound like it makes sense?

I'm going completely plan free this year for the HIM.  Actually, that's not entirely true as I'm following a HM plan while training for the HIM.  I just found that strictly following a plan was difficult to do.  I would be trying to force fit specific distances, times, etc. into my life and sometimes they wouldn't fit, and then I'd either try to make up for them or get down on myself for having missed workouts.  In the end it seemed to be a lot more work just trying to follow the plan.

So this year, I'm winging it.  Doesn't mean I don't have an idea of what I plan to accomplish every week, or the timing, but if I need to make adjustements for life situations, then I'm finding it a little easier.  I'm also listening to my body rather than the plan when it comes to intensity.  The goal is to push a lot of the workouts a bit outside my comfort zone, but if that doesn't happen on the day, I'm going to try and beat myself up less about missing the completely made up target in my head rather than what I saw as a very fixed target written down on some plan.

We'll see how this works out over the next few weeks, but I'm enjoying this approach so far, and body wise, considering the current volume, I'm probably feeling the best I have at this level of training.

i actually like the idea of a shorter harder race prior to a Half Iron.  I did a half 2 weeks prior to my "A" half, i think it totally helped my bike, while, because of my lack of run training, probably hurt me in the run. If i was to do it again, i would do an Oly 2-3 weeks prior,  since the 10k would be a lot stressful on my body and easier to recover from. Then again i  could probably train for the run properly, but i would not get as good a race report out of it, lol!!!

i tend to race better the more i race, but i am sure there is a point where the returns diminish, and you certainly do need longer than 25 mile rides 3 weeks prior to a half. I might do a longer 50 miler the day before the Oly at a reasonable pace, then crank out the Oly, the follow it with a pure rest day, then continue on the last build week or two prior to a very very light 1 week taper if the half is the main focus.

2012-06-22 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4274417

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ratherbeswimming - 2012-06-21 7:49 PM
Rudedog55 - 2012-06-21 3:55 PM

I'm here, reading about your crushing people dreams on the bike... and I got to this part and literally started laughing

"What would you do differently?:

go harder on the bike"

(which later made sense, but at the time, seemed line an entirely unreasonable idea)

... and this ...

" i don't suck wheels and farts sitting in a draft during bike races"

i will be here all week!!!!  LOL

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108