BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2014-05-26 9:31 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors: We Will Stalk You (Open)
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by sonyaforrest Ha ha - sorry about that. If you prefer I convert everything to miles let me know.
Hi Sonya great to have another Aussie - that makes 3 of us. Don't convert for them, it's good to make them realise they are the only country stuck in the dark ages every now and then (Saying that I sometimes do)

I'm not feeling the love here

I got your 'Murican back! Not sure how helpful that is...but I got it.

2014-05-26 9:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by 4agoodlife
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Sooooo..do any of you wash, or ever WANT to wash your shoes? Was out trail running this morning and got my new Mizunos dirty.  I don't like it when my bright colors get dull.

Good grief what kind of trail did you take? It must have held some great appeal to risk neon dulling. As for washing...do wipe downs count?

They're just very new and shiny.  Gotta keep them that way, you know?

Edited by ponderingfox 2014-05-26 9:34 PM
2014-05-26 9:36 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

Sooooo..do any of you wash, or ever WANT to wash your shoes? Was out trail running this morning and got my new Mizunos dirty.  I don't like it when my bright colors get dull.

Good grief what kind of trail did you take? It must have held some great appeal to risk neon dulling. As for washing...do wipe downs count?

They're just very new and shiny.  Gotta keep them that way, you know?

I hear ya. My new shoes are black with bright pink accents. Aaaand I brought them to stormy Kansas. Not sure what I was thinking.
2014-05-26 9:47 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master
All this coffee talk, while I'm sipping a glass of red. I don't do decaf. ..I have two kids, so what would be the point? Dirty Chai=yummmmm. But my latest weekend treat is grande nonfat mocha, sub two pumps toffee nut. Tasty
2014-05-27 5:04 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Melon Presser

sadface

I feel like the worst dog mom and human daughter ever.

We took in a dog (at my mom's place in Jakarta) for a trial foster period. All was well until we were both close to the dog when a huge out-of-the-blue thunderclap hit. Bit my mom and when I instinctively/immediately reached out to help her he bit me too.

Mutti's bite is pretty bad--they had to tie a blood vessel off and she's in a lot of pain (being medicated for that too but it's still very uncomfortable). I'm okay. My holes are deeper and still oozing (quite a few hours later) but didn't hit any good vessels or nerves.

Still here at the ER. We've both had rabies and tetanus but were needing boosters soon anyway so we had that done. A very small bright spot was that the doc said, wow you have a lot of arm muscle, do you do sports?

Anyway, of course the dog has to go back. I can work with fear biters and do fear extinguishment, but frankly not unless someone is paying me a couple grand and it's a fairly long and involved process. In any case I absolutely can't have a biter around Mutti for any reason.

Sigh. I feel like shyte. Also just had minor dental surgery yesterday--hole in the gum to screw a bracket into my jawbone for a later implant. Very excited about getting a new tooth but still kinda feel like I got punched in the face.

I know I did my best.

Fachmie anyway. I just feel like a failure on all fronts. Yes, I understand that my feelings don't dictate the facts, I just feel horrible about what happened to Mutti, and I feel genuinely bad for the dog and my friend, too. He's going to be a hard one to re-home in a country where there's thunder all the time, lots of fireworks, motorcycles backfiring etc. We knew he was scared of loud noises, and I know it was a new environment / new people, so there was no way to predict this was going to happen, but still. I feel awful.

2014-05-27 5:26 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

sadface

We took in a dog (at my mom's place in Jakarta) for a trial foster period. All was well until we were both close to the dog when a huge out-of-the-blue thunderclap hit. Bit my mom and when I instinctively/immediately reached out to help her he bit me too.

Mutti's bite is pretty bad--they had to tie a blood vessel off and she's in a lot of pain (being medicated for that too but it's still very uncomfortable). I'm okay. My holes are deeper and still oozing (quite a few hours later) but didn't hit any good vessels or nerves.

Still here at the ER. We've both had rabies and tetanus but were needing boosters soon anyway so we had that done. A very small bright spot was that the doc said, wow you have a lot of arm muscle, do you do sports?

Anyway, of course the dog has to go back. I can work with fear biters and do fear extinguishment, but frankly not unless someone is paying me a couple grand and it's a fairly long and involved process. In any case I absolutely can't have a biter around Mutti for any reason.

Sigh. I feel like shyte. Also just had minor dental surgery yesterday--hole in the gum to screw a bracket into my jawbone for a later implant. Very excited about getting a new tooth but still kinda feel like I got punched in the face.

I know I did my best.

Fachmie anyway. I just feel like a failure on all fronts. Yes, I understand that my feelings don't dictate the facts, I just feel horrible about what happened to Mutti, and I feel genuinely bad for the dog and my friend, too. He's going to be a hard one to re-home in a country where there's thunder all the time, lots of fireworks, motorcycles backfiring etc. We knew he was scared of loud noises, and I know it was a new environment / new people, so there was no way to predict this was going to happen, but still. I feel awful.

Sorry to hear about that.  It's sad when we get our hopes up, and then an unexpected down hits.  Especially with animals.

2014-05-27 6:26 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Aw thanks, Foxay.

I haven't called his owner yet ... ultra dread. 'Cause it's not just this bad news ... it's going to be the dawn of realization for him that he is in for a much tougher, honestly if possible at all, re-homing process. Taking him back to New York isn't an option--he'll be in quarantine for a few months, as in dog jail, everyone's unfamiliar, clanging doors, barking dogs, etc, and if he bites anyone there, it's bye-bye dog.

Fachmie. This just sucks all around. Need courage.

2014-05-27 7:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Aw thanks, Foxay.

I haven't called his owner yet ... ultra dread. 'Cause it's not just this bad news ... it's going to be the dawn of realization for him that he is in for a much tougher, honestly if possible at all, re-homing process. Taking him back to New York isn't an option--he'll be in quarantine for a few months, as in dog jail, everyone's unfamiliar, clanging doors, barking dogs, etc, and if he bites anyone there, it's bye-bye dog.

Oh No, this totally stinks!!  There really are no easy answers in these types of situations.  It's just hard.  Sorry you have and the dog and the dog's owner's have to go through this!  I am really sorry that you and Mutti were bitten.  How's she doing??

2014-05-27 7:27 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Aw thanks, Foxay.

Oh No, this totally stinks!!  There really are no easy answers in these types of situations.  It's just hard.  Sorry you have and the dog and the dog's owner's have to go through this!  I am really sorry that you and Mutti were bitten.  How's she doing??

She's doing great. She's a trooper. Also, she doesn't remember being bitten so that helps, as do the pain meds. Her hand is still very sore, though, and will be for a while.

Completely unprepared for how affected by this I am. Astonished at how overwhelmed I feel. Not even sure how to describe the emotions. I don't even want Pop Tarts.

2014-05-27 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Aw thanks, Foxay.

She's doing great. She's a trooper. Also, she doesn't remember being bitten so that helps, as do the pain meds. Her hand is still very sore, though, and will be for a while.

Completely unprepared for how affected by this I am. Astonished at how overwhelmed I feel. Not even sure how to describe the emotions. I don't even want Pop Tarts.

Wow, this is even more serious than I thought!  But seriously, almost 10 years later, I am still saddened by having to make some hard decisions about a dog I was associated with.  They were the right decisions (I keep telling myself), but they sucked then and they suck now.   You know that you always do the best for the people and animals in your life and this time will be no different, so maybe you can take some solace knowing that.

2014-05-27 8:26 AM

User image

Melon Presser

*gratitude* Hands-Marie and {MELON PRESS}.

I can't say the conversation with his owner went well, but at least I did it. The owner was very polite and appropriately horrified at what happened, but like pretty much every other human being, he did not handle this first cut (always the deepest, as they say) into denial well. It must be this, it must be that, gotta do things just a little differently and it'll work, give him time ... no. Fear-based biting from an exaggerated startle response, however understandable the situation, is not going to change from a little bit of this and that, or any amount of patience. Not in humans, not in dogs.

2014-05-27 8:33 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner On the bus to Boulder!

How was it? We're waiting for the RR...

2014-05-27 8:34 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Went shoe shopping on Friday and just couldn't bring myself to pay $220 for a pair of Brooks Adrenalines when I know you guys can get them over there for about half that. Phil is going to be in Brownsberg Indianapolis in a couple of weeks and he said he would pick me up some. Can anyone suggest where the best place for him to find some would be?

For something like this where you are more concerned about stock than customer services, I'd probably try Dick's Sporting Goods.  It looks like they carry that model -- http://www.dickssportinggoods.com and have stores in Indianapolis.

2014-05-27 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Welcome all the new Manatees!!! Looks like we have another person who will drive me crazy talking in kms!!!

Welcome new Manatees!

Hands, I think that they are math challenged so they are taking the easy way out by using metric!

2014-05-27 8:49 AM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by bcraht

Originally posted by bcraht

Originally posted by sonyaforrest Ha ha - sorry about that. If you prefer I convert everything to miles let me know.

No!  Don't do it!  We mustn't bow down to the 'Muricans!    THEY should convert to km.  Feet, yards, miles--they don't even make sense!!  How many feet in a yard?  How many yards in a mile??  1000m=1km.  Simple! 

ETA: Don't be scared, Sonya, I just have to give the US Manatees a hard time.  It's part of the fun in here!

See, we Muricans don't need those simple things - we like to make everything complicated and like are uniqueness !!

So are your Sbux orders like a tall double caf americano machiatto skinny light on the whip?

Cause mine is like "Grande dark roast"

Oh!  Invoking the French even!  I say MEDIUM.  And of course it should be dark roast (but not icky Pike)

2014-05-27 8:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Hi Sonya great to have another Aussie - that makes 3 of us. Don't convert for them, it's good to make them realise they are the only country stuck in the dark ages every now and then (Saying that I sometimes do)

Fine!  Just use us for our less expensive shoes!

2014-05-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I believe that "Myanmar (the country formerly known as Burma)" - note how that always goes together - is also on the foot/second/slug/gallon (aka, Imperial?) system.  See, we're not alone!  (although not exactly in good company)  

If we were meant to use the metric system, we'd have evolved to have 10 fingers and 10 toes, thank you very much!

Still think we should just cut over.  It works in medicine and science - yes, even in the US - so it should be OK in the kitchen and all those non-5k/10k/Oly races we also run...

AND WELCOME TO THE NEW MANATEES!  

Matt

We can't convert.  I'd need new magnets for my car!

2014-05-27 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

sadface

I know I did my best.

You are right, you absolutely cannot have a biter near Mutti. 

Like many people here, I've done rescue work with dogs.  I know that you want to save them all.  Sadly, we can't.  {{hugs}}

Chris, I believe that Yanti gave you an opening...

ETA: And Chris, are you falling down on the job?  Do you have Yanti's new folding bike?!

Edited by jmkizer 2014-05-27 9:03 AM
2014-05-27 9:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by brigby1

Ran in the Headlamp Hustle 10k trail run last night up by Madison. Lack of running really showed as that was tough. Not exactly an easy course either. Half true single track and half side-of-the-highway mowing type path across fields.

Also did the Blackhawk Country Roads ride in Rockton this morning, 65 mile route.

A night trail run sounds like fun!
Full moon? hehehe! (I've been in the car for almost 9hrs. Cut me some slack.)

Part of the swag was a little headlamp. They also started early enough that most everyone could get around before it really got dark out. So more twilight in the later parts. 

I was wondering about the viability of single track in darkness as I read this.  Then again, I managed to twist an ankle in complete daylight, so what is the difference, I guess? Will a RR be available? I am trying to gauge other peoples experiences with trail running.

Congrats, sounds like lots of fun!

They do a few nighttime trail runs around here, too.  I did one a few years ago but haven't been able to do it since because of conflicts with my hockey schedule.  So that one is in the fall, around Halloween, is called Ghouls and Fools, there is another this time of year (next weekend, in fact) called Dark and Dirty, 6.66 mile trail run.  If I were in better running shape I'd be all over it.  They are both mostly single track, with rocks, roots, hills, ya know, typical PA trail terrain.  You would not believe the pace some of the 'elites' can run in the dark.  They must be fearless. Mindboggling.

Edited by melbo55 2014-05-27 9:18 AM
2014-05-27 9:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

*gratitude* Hands-Marie and {MELON PRESS}.

I can't say the conversation with his owner went well, but at least I did it. The owner was very polite and appropriately horrified at what happened, but like pretty much every other human being, he did not handle this first cut (always the deepest, as they say) into denial well. It must be this, it must be that, gotta do things just a little differently and it'll work, give him time ... no. Fear-based biting from an exaggerated startle response, however understandable the situation, is not going to change from a little bit of this and that, or any amount of patience. Not in humans, not in dogs.

Yanti, you are doing the right thing. There is no way you can have a dog like that around Mutti, especially as she will forget that he is easily startled and bites. It is his owners responsibility to find him a suitable home, maybe if they had dealt with the problem years ago then it wouldn't be an issue but they didn't so now they need to deal with the consequences of the decision that they made to ignore the behaviour (yes, it is spelt with a u).
2014-05-27 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Fine!  Just use us for our less expensive shoes!

Amen consider it my support of your failing economy (not that ours is any better really)

If you were like Australia you wouldn't need new magnets because tri people here understand 5050/70.3/140.6 we have learnt to be adaptable.

Edited by StaceyK 2014-05-27 9:28 AM

2014-05-27 9:33 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Aw thanks, Foxay.

Wow, this is even more serious than I thought!  But seriously, almost 10 years later, I am still saddened by having to make some hard decisions about a dog I was associated with.  They were the right decisions (I keep telling myself), but they sucked then and they suck now.   You know that you always do the best for the people and animals in your life and this time will be no different, so maybe you can take some solace knowing that.

Yanti, wishing I could just give you a kiss on your boo boo and make it all better.  If only it was that easy. Between your health stuff and all the emotional rollercoastering you've been going through lately, it's no wonder you feel so overwhelmed.  Sometimes it sucks to care so deeply, doesn't it? 

I had a dog with severe aggression issues.  I knew I couldn't rehome her, plus she and I had a really deep emotional connection.  We ended up keeping her and our other dog separated for 7 years (she tried to kill him more than once), put her on Paxil, and did the best we could.  I know a lot of other people would have given up on her but in the end, she and I helped heal each other.  I was fortunate to have the means to manage the situation (including a very understanding Alex!!), but totally get it when other people can't for whatever reason.  We all have to make the decisions that are right for us, and as hard as it was, you did the right thing.

(((Big hugs))) and healing thoughts to you and Mutti.

2014-05-27 9:37 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

ETA: And Chris, are you falling down on the job?  Do you have Yanti's new folding bike?!

Too late, I think she bought one already.

User image

Pennsylvania

Sooooo... do any of you wash, or ever WANT to wash your shoes? Was out trail running this morning and got my new Mizunos dirty.  I don't like it when my bright colors get dull.

I wash my trail and/or road running shoes if they get too muddy.  They get hosed off outside, first, then put in the washer.

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

sadface

I know I did my best.

((hugs))

Like Janyne said, you can't save them all.

On another front my friend's dog is at the evet from yesterday and they are doing an MRI today - the short of it is she probably has a rapidly growing tumor and I think today may be the day. So my heart hurts for her too.

It's a crappy pet day people - so go home and hug yours......

and on a more upbeat note, welcome to the new people.

I think we need an updated list

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.