BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-06-27 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4124687

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED

Hey, aren't a few of you doing the long course here

Oh yeah, I posted a link from the other folks

2012-06-27 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4282288

User image

Pro
marcag - 2012-06-27 5:58 AM 

Is Drilling something physically demanding or it just takes time ?

If it's just time, then to me it's just like building my workouts around the weather. The week I am scheduled for long rides, I just do them as soon as the weather forecast says it's a go.The first 3 hour window I see with a good forecast I jump on. If I waited until the weekend chances are I would get rained out anyways.

If drilling is something exhausting I guess that's a different subject. We are so militarily naive in this country (canada)

Sunday was fairly demanding - we did an obstacle course for about 4 hours.

Saturday was easy - 1 mile time trial run, 1 min of max reps sit-ups, 1 min of max reps push-ups... then we sat in a classroom and leaned about history, policies, etc.

2012-06-27 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4282379

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-06-27 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4281640

Elite
Ontario
tasr - 2012-06-26 4:40 PM

GoFaster - 2012-06-26 8:47 AM Question for the group. How do you know when to back off the volume or intensity a bit to allow some recovery/downtime. Since I'm not following a plan this year, this is currently a big question in my mind. I don't want to keep pushing myself and then hit a low point. Suggestions, or what's worked for you in the past?

Great question!

I listen to my body and try not to have too many volume and intensity days in a row. This doesn’t mean or stop me from going out the door. If I plane for volume/intensity and I don’t feel like it I attempt the training. For a bike it may be 20 miles before I can get warmed up into training. Then if I still am not feeling right and I have had volume/intensity days prior I may back off or push thru, just depends. I don’t train with HR but use it as a limiter. If my HR does not climb or is to way to high those are my signs as well.

Here was Bryan's response from purgatory on it as well, which pretty much matches up with James.

For me, HR will always tell me how I am feeling. If I can't bring my HR up, I know I am fatigued and need to back off for the workout. If it's still suppressed the next day, I need a day off.

So as a followup, how do I know when I'm just getting fitter?  At some point HR should begin to be lower for similar pace/watts.  With my short run a couple of nights ago I aimed to keep it in Z1, which I managed to do, whereas in the past the pace may have floated into Z2 faster.  As well, on the trainer last night I was doing 4min intervals at 100%.  HR was very low for the warmup, etc. and stayed reasonably low at the beginning of the intervals, but did increase into Z4 by the end (and the legs were toast).

So how do I tell, if my HR is slightly lower cause I'm getting fitter vs. needing some easier sessions? 

On a separate note - swim stroke seemed to make a come back yesterday.  Took a week, but it was a much better session yesterday.

2012-06-27 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4282287

2012-06-27 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4282379

2012-06-27 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4282578

Extreme Veteran
TSimone - 2012-06-27 8:47 AM
bzgl40 - 2012-06-27 8:16 AM

The pictures in that thread are beautiful. Looks like a great race environment. As a side note, epic drama going on at that other place.

Tremblant is beautiful. I have been skiing there for years.

The resort is really smart. They are trying to make this into a training and racing destination. They know summer is quieter and they could bring in a whole new clientele. They didn't invest millions of dollars for 2 races a year, they want people every weekend all summer.

What place has epic drama ?

2012-06-27 8:55 AM

2012-06-27 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4282603

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
marcag - 2012-06-27 9:52 AM
TSimone - 2012-06-27 8:47 AM
bzgl40 - 2012-06-27 8:16 AM

The pictures in that thread are beautiful. Looks like a great race environment. As a side note, epic drama going on at that other place.

Tremblant is beautiful. I have been skiing there for years.

The resort is really smart. They are trying to make this into a training and racing destination. They know summer is quieter and they could bring in a whole new clientele. They didn't invest millions of dollars for 2 races a year, they want people every weekend all summer.

What place has epic drama ?

It is super smart - I immediately thought that they are taking Lake Placid's queue (and now rivalling it) for not only a racing but also a training destination and it won't overlap with ski season.   I know we're going up for a training weekend and spending an extra three nights there in addtion to the race ... they got us!!

Smart very smart.   Similar to the Muskoka 70.3 which can drive business Deerhurst resort where it is based but in my mind even better because there is so much more accommodation right in the village.

2012-06-27 9:45 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

That Strava is pretty cool!  I just added a bunch of you to stalk your cycling progress .

I did one of my favorite rides yesterday afternoon along Lakeshore Drive which is where my next tri bike course will be.  I did the bread and butter 2x20 at FTP with 5 minute rest between.  Averaged 23.8mph and 23.6 mph on the out and back route.  I have never gone that fast so pretty happy about it.

I have really been thinking alot about racing with HR and thinking of ditching it as I have never really been comfortable or trusted it.  I really only use it in HIM racing but I think I left alot of time on the table in my last race but do not know that for certain.  My main issue is that my HR never comes into my target until the 40 mile point of the bike.  It stays elevated for a very long time coming from the swim even though the effort feels easy.  On the run I could care less about HR just go at an effort that can bring me home the fastest.

In my last Olympic my HR never got below my LTHR.  In fact it was almost 10 beats higher than that on average.  LTHR being verfied with several field tests.  There is just a large disconnect in my HR between training and racing.  Any thoughts?

2012-06-27 11:14 AM
in reply to: #4282611

Payson, AZ

TSimone - 2012-06-27 6:55 AM ST. Check out the FORUM LACKS INTEGRITY thread if interested.

I think they already pulled it.  So if all of a sudden a normal poster no longer posts...

2012-06-27 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4282702

Payson, AZ
rymac - 2012-06-27 7:45 AM

That Strava is pretty cool!  I just added a bunch of you to stalk your cycling progress .

I did one of my favorite rides yesterday afternoon along Lakeshore Drive which is where my next tri bike course will be.  I did the bread and butter 2x20 at FTP with 5 minute rest between.  Averaged 23.8mph and 23.6 mph on the out and back route.  I have never gone that fast so pretty happy about it.

I have really been thinking alot about racing with HR and thinking of ditching it as I have never really been comfortable or trusted it.  I really only use it in HIM racing but I think I left alot of time on the table in my last race but do not know that for certain.  My main issue is that my HR never comes into my target until the 40 mile point of the bike.  It stays elevated for a very long time coming from the swim even though the effort feels easy.  On the run I could care less about HR just go at an effort that can bring me home the fastest.

In my last Olympic my HR never got below my LTHR.  In fact it was almost 10 beats higher than that on average.  LTHR being verfied with several field tests.  There is just a large disconnect in my HR between training and racing.  Any thoughts?

When you say you used it only for HIM racing do you mean you didn't train by HR or that you just didn't use it for other race lengths?

2012-06-27 1:10 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Finished my ride today and its was a tough ride indeed with all the wind. 

I uploaded the ride to Strava and I got 4 KOM in 1 ride on the toughest hill.  I was pretty surprised to be honest.

Ryan I am following you on Strava.
2012-06-27 1:23 PM
in reply to: #4282973

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
bzgl40 - 2012-06-27 12:21 PM
rymac - 2012-06-27 7:45 AM

When you say you used it only for HIM racing do you mean you didn't train by HR or that you just didn't use it for other race lengths?

Just not for other race lengths.  I do not use it for shorter distance racing with the exception of 1 Olympic race last year but it was useless because it was showing 10 beats over threshold on the bike. 

I do train with HR on the bike.  Train with pace for running.

Wondering why HR stays so elevated during racing for prolonged periods?

2012-06-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4281874

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
ratherbeswimming - 2012-06-26 7:26 PM

Question for the group:

I enlisted in the Army National Guard, so I'm now drilling one weekend a month. How should I handle my long rides these weeks? My target HIM is in Sept 30th.

I see three options:

1. try to schedule drill weekend during a tri recovery week

2. do the long ride on a weekday

3. increase other rides that week to bring the weekly total inline with where it should be, while omitting the long ride.

Biking is my weakness. Any time in the saddle is good time in the saddle for me. 

Wait you just enlisted?  Did you do basic yet?

From one vet to another, Thank You for your service! 
2012-06-27 1:27 PM
in reply to: #4282953

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
bzgl40 - 2012-06-27 12:14 PM

TSimone - 2012-06-27 6:55 AM ST. Check out the FORUM LACKS INTEGRITY thread if interested.

I think they already pulled it.  So if all of a sudden a normal poster no longer posts...

Another person got banned?

This was on BT right?

2012-06-27 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4283302

2012-06-27 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4283249

2012-06-27 1:34 PM

I just entered the Rapha Rising challenge on Strava.  Basically climb as much as you can from July 15-22nd and try to match what the TdF is climbing in the Pyrenees.  I think this would be a great opportunity for everyone in the Strava group to join and create some bragging rights.

http://app.strava.com/challenges/rapha-rising-circle-of-death

2012-06-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4283325

tri808 - 2012-06-27 11:34 AM

I just entered the Rapha Rising challenge on Strava.  Basically climb as much as you can from July 15-22nd and try to match what the TdF is climbing in the Pyrenees.  I think this would be a great opportunity for everyone in the Strava group to join and create some bragging rights.

Hmmm, 22.5K feet in a week..... 

2012-06-27 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4283294

Pro
tasr - 2012-06-27 2:26 PM
ratherbeswimming - 2012-06-26 7:26 PM

Question for the group:

I enlisted in the Army National Guard, so I'm now drilling one weekend a month. How should I handle my long rides these weeks? My target HIM is in Sept 30th.

I see three options:

1. try to schedule drill weekend during a tri recovery week

2. do the long ride on a weekday

3. increase other rides that week to bring the weekly total inline with where it should be, while omitting the long ride.

Biking is my weakness. Any time in the saddle is good time in the saddle for me. 

Wait you just enlisted?  Did you do basic yet?

From one vet to another, Thank You for your service! 
Thank you! I ship for basic in January, then right to OCS. National Guard does drill weekends specifically to prep recruits for basic.

2012-06-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4283361

ChrisM - 2012-06-27 8:49 AM
tri808 - 2012-06-27 11:34 AM

Hmmm, 22.5K feet in a week..... 

Well...technically you have 8 days

I actually did 24k feet in 6 days last year as my big training week.  Rode Tuesday to Sunday, but I took Wed-Fri off from work so I could burry myself into the ground and get 10+ hours of sleep to recover.

I was actually thinking about doing something similar this year to prep for my late summer bike races.  So this might work out perfectly.  Lots of motivation with the challenge, and it doesn't hurt to watch 5 hours of the tour everyday while sitting on the couch and recovering.

2012-06-28 7:56 AM

2012-06-28 8:14 AM

Elite
Ontario

Question of the day from me - sodium.  I was in the LBS yesterday talking to one of the guys who's a duathlete and we got on the topic of sodium/salt.  He mentioned that you need to be taking in close to 700mg per hour (slightly more on hotter days), which seems like a really high number to me.

My plan at the moment for my HIM has me drinking just water + 5 gels + 2 Honey Stinger waffles on the bike.  Total calories will be about 800, which should be right for 3 hours on the bike, but total sodium will only be about 750mg, which begs the question - is that too low?

Thanks all.

2012-06-28 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4284369

Payson, AZ
GoFaster - 2012-06-28 6:14 AM

Question of the day from me - sodium.  I was in the LBS yesterday talking to one of the guys who's a duathlete and we got on the topic of sodium/salt.  He mentioned that you need to be taking in close to 700mg per hour (slightly more on hotter days), which seems like a really high number to me.

My plan at the moment for my HIM has me drinking just water + 5 gels + 2 Honey Stinger waffles on the bike.  Total calories will be about 800, which should be right for 3 hours on the bike, but total sodium will only be about 750mg, which begs the question - is that too low?

Thanks all.

Are you experiencing any issues with that level of sodium right now?  If not I'd stick to your plan and not plan on adding any extra. 

There really seems to be a mixed camp out there on needing sodium or not but I have yet to cramp ever and never use extra sodium.  I don't push near as hard as some of you guys though but then you just have to look at Bryan, who also doesn't use extra sodium (and I have never seen him complain of cramps so I suspect it is not an issue) and clearly he pushes it hard.  I am not sure he uses just water though on the bike so his levels might be a bit higher.  I have another friend that cramps pretty bad in races but not training.  Yet he does go into the race in shape and seems to race within his bounds.  He's tried sodium and it hasn't solved anything for him. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108