BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-06 12:11 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I had a hell workout last night. It's been just pouring here in Seattle. It rains here a lot, obviously but it rarely pours.

Anyhoo, I was supposed to do WU/CD and 4 miles @ 6:38. I was wearing all black and the main group of girls were doing 4 @ 6:40 so I opted to run with them until we got to the trail around the lake so that I didn't get hit with a car, then to run a bit ahead so I could hit my pacing (I know, it's just 2 seconds ...)

The trail had like 1-2" standing water about half the time. At first I was avoiding it then, about the time my shoe filled with water I said screw it.

Anyway we did like 6:36, 6:40 then I hit the trail and did 6:34 and finished with 6:30. Just total crap pacing. I felt like total shyte afterward, too.

It just doesn't having me feeling very confident for the HM this weekend. Nor does the 15K race from last week. I hope I can get some mojo back here soon.

Well, if you wore a Garmin you could keep hit your pace

I'm with TJ on this, you always seem to come through during a race, so I'm putting my money on you killing your HM.

2014-03-06 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I had a hell workout last night. It's been just pouring here in Seattle. It rains here a lot, obviously but it rarely pours.

Anyhoo, I was supposed to do WU/CD and 4 miles @ 6:38. I was wearing all black and the main group of girls were doing 4 @ 6:40 so I opted to run with them until we got to the trail around the lake so that I didn't get hit with a car, then to run a bit ahead so I could hit my pacing (I know, it's just 2 seconds ...)

The trail had like 1-2" standing water about half the time. At first I was avoiding it then, about the time my shoe filled with water I said screw it.

Anyway we did like 6:36, 6:40 then I hit the trail and did 6:34 and finished with 6:30. Just total crap pacing. I felt like total shyte afterward, too.

It just doesn't having me feeling very confident for the HM this weekend. Nor does the 15K race from last week. I hope I can get some mojo back here soon.

You'll be fine! Don't let your head mess wit you. You've certainly put in the training time.  

2014-03-06 12:27 PM

User image

Master

It will. You're smart about what you do/don't do. I'm betting running in such conditions would mess with most pacing to some extent. Plus extra crappy weather wears on the mind even when you're used to rain and damp conditions.

I'll slingshot a day of sunshine your way.

2014-03-06 12:56 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

its good to hear all your news Yanti-I am very happy for your impending nuptials!

When it comes to BT, I have never paid anything, so I cannot comment on that aspect. As for the forums, this is the only aspect I regularly visit (and even more rarely post...)--I may check in on CoJ but its pretty rare. There has been a noticeable decline recently, but to me it seems that it was already going that way before the site revamp. My honest opinion is that beforehand, the active forum-ing declined as those 'argumentative types' were banned....maybe people liked the drama? After the revamp, more left due to the issues they saw or perceived....Like I said, just my opinion. Truthfully, I haven't asked for much advice outside of the pod, as I have usually seen the answers in the forums--usually someone already asked them...why ask again? Maybe the folks here give enough decent advice that those with questions just find the answers on their own rather than starting a sh*t storm by asking on TT and getting bashed. I will say, it does sometimes seem that some questions are truly based on the premise of "look at me, I DID THIS, now I will ask a 'question' to show what I can do.

Hmm. I need to not take so much Advil.....I get chatty.

Isn't it when you have an injury that doing nothing to aggravate it will help in recovery??? WHY IS MY SHOULDER HURTING WORSE THEN!?!?!?!?

Honestly, I can barely do ANYTHING with my entire Left side---not good cause I am a lefty! Even tilting my head to the right sends bolts of pain through my shoulder/arm/collarbone! GRRR!

ok rant over..as you all were. I'm gonna go sob in a corner now....probably not, it would hurt to much. 

2014-03-06 1:32 PM
in reply to: kgore

User image

Seattle

Thanks guys.  I appreciate it. A not so great race I can deal with, and a few not so good training days I can deal with, but the combination sucks.

2014-03-06 1:38 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thanks guys.  I appreciate it. A not so great race I can deal with, and a few not so good training days I can deal with, but the combination sucks.

Um, this may not truly help but it takes some bad to appreciate the good.  I also find that if I have a bad race (or hockey game) I generally do better the next time out.  Plus, you are a competitor and a smart athlete.  You know you and your body and your abilities, sometimes outside forces (like weather) skew what we know and make us second guess ourselves.  I am not second guessing you or your abilities for one minute.   And congrats on being smart enough to run with a group while dressed like a Ninja running at night.

2014-03-06 1:39 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I let myself slip to super slacker status for about two weeks. Only got in one run and a bike ride. On the other hand, I did lots of running around getting my house fixed up after my FIL spent days painting during their visit. You cannot imagine how many times I've been to Marshall's, Ross, Target, Kohl's, WalMart, Big Lots, B,B and B in the past ten days.  I've gotten the kids' bathrooms done, Mak's bedroom almost redone in "big girl" style (Taylor is jealous of her double bed), and the downstairs living room rearranged. Moving Mak out of her toddler bed involved hauling a double bed upstairs and king mattress downstairs (alone, cuz I'm too impatient to wait for help when I get an idea), then switching bed frames with my son and assembling head/foot board. Was tired at the end of that day.

I've basically not been on BT til last night, and I don't even know how far back I've missed! Read RRs...Then my eyes started drooping when I tried to do some more catching up. A short run and first swim in months wore me out yesterday. lol  But good news is that my log is looking so colorful this week!!

Her bedroom so far, and why it was worth it.

Welcome back, Erin!  Her room looks fantastic!

2014-03-06 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by kgore

its good to hear all your news Yanti-I am very happy for your impending nuptials!

When it comes to BT, I have never paid anything, so I cannot comment on that aspect. As for the forums, this is the only aspect I regularly visit (and even more rarely post...)--I may check in on CoJ but its pretty rare. There has been a noticeable decline recently, but to me it seems that it was already going that way before the site revamp. My honest opinion is that beforehand, the active forum-ing declined as those 'argumentative types' were banned....maybe people liked the drama? After the revamp, more left due to the issues they saw or perceived....Like I said, just my opinion. Truthfully, I haven't asked for much advice outside of the pod, as I have usually seen the answers in the forums--usually someone already asked them...why ask again? Maybe the folks here give enough decent advice that those with questions just find the answers on their own rather than starting a sh*t storm by asking on TT and getting bashed. I will say, it does sometimes seem that some questions are truly based on the premise of "look at me, I DID THIS, now I will ask a 'question' to show what I can do.

Hmm. I need to not take so much Advil.....I get chatty.

Isn't it when you have an injury that doing nothing to aggravate it will help in recovery??? WHY IS MY SHOULDER HURTING WORSE THEN!?!?!?!?

Honestly, I can barely do ANYTHING with my entire Left side---not good cause I am a lefty! Even tilting my head to the right sends bolts of pain through my shoulder/arm/collarbone! GRRR!

ok rant over..as you all were. I'm gonna go sob in a corner now....probably not, it would hurt to much. 

I'm not a doctor, and I stayed at a La Quinta over the weekend, but that sounds myofascial to me.

2014-03-06 2:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by melbo55

Yanti, it's so awesome to hear from you and so glad to hear you have many great, happy things going on in your life.  You are very deserving - I've said it before, I love when good things happen for good people.

Just to add one final thing about my BT gripe, other than I'm sorry I opened a can of worms.   I've been a paying member for the majority of my time here, it's only recently (last month or so) I've let my membership slip to 'free' status.  I do enjoy BT for the social aspect (manatees!), the logging, and while I do browse TT and COJ and a few other forums, the topics don't seem to grab me like they once did.  The friendships I've made with this group keep me coming back and help keep me moving forward; there are some very inspiring people in here in many ways, not just athletically. Is that spelled right?  Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to the manatees for being all kinds of awesome!

I was going to comment earlier that the TT forums don't seem to be as "fun" anymore. Well i just read the TriDot and WTC threads and the old TT humor is back!

2014-03-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Yanti, part one - that's awesome!  Finding and then committing to The One is a great thing.  Big smiles for you both!  It's funny, but when I hear this, I actually get all sappy (happy for my own union with The Better Half and excited that someone else will get to experience something like it!).

Yanti, part two - why on earth would anyone MIND if you post on TT?  Really - I can't figure it out.  Do they not like your helpful content?  Great attitude?  Are they anti-TT and see it as disloyal that you'd post there (which would really bake my noodle, if so)?  I just found your comment perplexing, but I'm thick in the head, so….  I mean, one of your posts THIS VERY DAY helped me.  

Erin - that room looks terrific.  Worth whatever it takes to create a happy space for family.

Salty - stepping back just a tad, let's look at the run.  Sounds like you were off your pace (to the good) by a few seconds per mile.  At night.  On a trail.  In an inch or two of water.  Ummmmmm…….  maybe I'm missing something, but that doesn't sound totally crappy (aside from feeling like shyte after - but that could be from a bunch of different things).  Something as little as intermittent sand on the road can throw my pace off by that much, what with slippage and all, so I think you're probably good.    You're gonna crush it, is my prediction (just go back and look at your logs, woman!).

Matt

2014-03-06 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Originally posted by rrrunner

I'm not a doctor, and I stayed at a La Quinta over the weekend, but that sounds myofascial to me.

--and what would that mean? Sorry--animals stuff, I get...human stuff, not so much. 

2014-03-06 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Well for starters... it was in some crazy conditions. So 2 seconds or 4 seconds in those conditions is going to be (hopefully) different than what you face this weekend. Secondly, lets be real, you always BRING IT! And, of course, it's not Boston. That is your primary goal, right?

Of course, my attitude these days is based on a forced week+ rest so i'm trying to remind myself that running will still be there when I'm able to get back to it.

Salty, I look at this as seeing the forrest or the trees kind of thing. Big picture or little picture.  And I have to agree with the others who pointed out the challenge of the course you were on.  When I look at your past 6-9 months of training, racing and running, well, everything I see has awesome written all over it.  I have told you this before, but I am always impressed with how full your calendar is, not your only race/training calendar, your life calendar. Mix all that you do together, your training, your work, your friends, your family and you will inevitably have highs and lows, be they mental or physical or emotional or whatever.

Keep on smiling and enjoy being you! And as for confidence in your Saturday race, we'll have none of that. You will give it the best effort that you can on that given day. We all KNOW that. We've got confidence to spare.

2014-03-06 2:37 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

--and what would that mean? Sorry--animals stuff, I get...human stuff, not so much. 

What?!?!?! You don't do veterinary myofacial release?

Myofacial or "trigger point" therapy is related to the "knots" that we get in our muscles. It's really quite surprising how one "knot" can affect so many seemingly unrelated areas. A knot in your neck or shoulder area could very well cause pain going down your back and even in to your leg. When I was having hip/IT pain I went to a myotherapist based on my friend's suggestion. It was amazing how much the trigger point release helped.

2014-03-06 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Oooooooohhhhhhhh. Nope---new stuff to me!  

Luckily, we have a wonderful lady in our education dept. who has apparently been trained in sports massage therapy...she went to town on my shoulder at lunch--while it is still quite painful, it is NOWHERE near as bad as it was--she also gave me some tips on stuff that Clint could do to help...and some stretches for me to do as well. 

2014-03-06 5:16 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Oooooooohhhhhhhh. Nope---new stuff to me!  

Luckily, we have a wonderful lady in our education dept. who has apparently been trained in sports massage therapy...she went to town on my shoulder at lunch--while it is still quite painful, it is NOWHERE near as bad as it was--she also gave me some tips on stuff that Clint could do to help...and some stretches for me to do as well. 

WooHoo!!!!! Just make sure that Clint's "help" stays on the appropriate muscles . Yeah, my myotherapist gave me stretches but like anything else that isn't s/b/r I didn't stick with it for very long.

2014-03-07 12:01 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Well for starters... it was in some crazy conditions. So 2 seconds or 4 seconds in those conditions is going to be (hopefully) different than what you face this weekend. Secondly, lets be real, you always BRING IT! And, of course, it's not Boston. That is your primary goal, right?

Of course, my attitude these days is based on a forced week+ rest so i'm trying to remind myself that running will still be there when I'm able to get back to it.

Salty, I look at this as seeing the forrest or the trees kind of thing. Big picture or little picture.  And I have to agree with the others who pointed out the challenge of the course you were on.  When I look at your past 6-9 months of training, racing and running, well, everything I see has awesome written all over it.  I have told you this before, but I am always impressed with how full your calendar is, not your only race/training calendar, your life calendar. Mix all that you do together, your training, your work, your friends, your family and you will inevitably have highs and lows, be they mental or physical or emotional or whatever.

Keep on smiling and enjoy being you! And as for confidence in your Saturday race, we'll have none of that. You will give it the best effort that you can on that given day. We all KNOW that. We've got confidence to spare.

That's my thinking too. Not liking how the workout went is fine. Just be careful of basing too much off of any single one of them though. Stuff like this happens all the time in my workouts.

2014-03-07 5:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Hello, been a while. Had a few issues to deal with, had a visit from a black dog that wanted to stay for a lot longer than normal. Went into robot mode of eat, sleep, work, repeat. Other problems, getting used to studying alongside work again, and all the juggling that entails. Still a bit down, found myself crying over spilt milk this morning, literally. The irony... Nice to finally read back through the last 12 pages I missed. A lot gone on, from sweet fixie's, to AG trail wins and choccy podiums, to wedding dates, zoo moves and puppy paradise. Nice to be back. Don't know what my plan is with regards to the rest of my races booked, or any training etc, really can't make any decisions at the mo.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-03-07 5:51 AM
2014-03-07 8:12 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Hello, been a while. Had a few issues to deal with, had a visit from a black dog that wanted to stay for a lot longer than normal. Went into robot mode of eat, sleep, work, repeat. Other problems, getting used to studying alongside work again, and all the juggling that entails. Still a bit down, found myself crying over spilt milk this morning, literally. The irony... Nice to finally read back through the last 12 pages I missed. A lot gone on, from sweet fixie's, to AG trail wins and choccy podiums, to wedding dates, zoo moves and puppy paradise. Nice to be back. Don't know what my plan is with regards to the rest of my races booked, or any training etc, really can't make any decisions at the mo.

Hey Darren, thanks for popping in.  Sorry to hear your life isn't as you want it right now, hopefully reading through the manatee goings-on can cheer you a bit.  There's usually something good for a laugh or a smile on a regular basis.  Hang in there, and I hope things improve for you soon.

2014-03-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

In other news, I have a new weight loss plan - major hair cut, LOL!  It's gotta be about .25 - .5 lb., right?!

2014-03-07 8:48 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Artemis

Hiya Manatees!!  Want to help a fellow Manatee win a gift certificate for free cycling clothes?

I'm in Road Holland's Worst Cycling Kit contest as "Where are my sleeves".  I'd love to get some new cycling clothes, so please vote for me!!  Clearly, I have no pride, so any and all help for votes would be appreciated.

I'm a little behind but I just voted for you - glad to see you are hanging on to 2nd place!! Can we vote every day? C'mon guys!!

Kate - how did the interview go?

Janyne - I use a google calendar too but just high level. for a given day I'll put "run" but then if I want detail I'll go to garmin connect where it auto uploads or BT where I log it.

Yanti - HI!! **Waving** we're thinking about you and miss you.

Hope all is well - who's racing this weekend?!
2014-03-07 9:02 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by RichardsdrrHello, been a while. Had a few issues to deal with, had a visit from a black dog that wanted to stay for a lot longer than normal. Went into robot mode of eat, sleep, work, repeat. Other problems, getting used to studying alongside work again, and all the juggling that entails. Still a bit down, found myself crying over spilt milk this morning, literally. The irony... Nice to finally read back through the last 12 pages I missed. A lot gone on, from sweet fixie's, to AG trail wins and choccy podiums, to wedding dates, zoo moves and puppy paradise. Nice to be back. Don't know what my plan is with regards to the rest of my races booked, or any training etc, really can't make any decisions at the mo.
Good to see you, but sorry to hear that things are a bit rough for you right now. Hang in there, this to shall pass!

2014-03-07 9:45 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Artemis

Hiya Manatees!!  Want to help a fellow Manatee win a gift certificate for free cycling clothes?

I'm in Road Holland's Worst Cycling Kit contest as "Where are my sleeves".  I'd love to get some new cycling clothes, so please vote for me!!  Clearly, I have no pride, so any and all help for votes would be appreciated.

I'm a little behind but I just voted for you - glad to see you are hanging on to 2nd place!! Can we vote every day? C'mon guys!! Kate - how did the interview go? Janyne - I use a google calendar too but just high level. for a given day I'll put "run" but then if I want detail I'll go to garmin connect where it auto uploads or BT where I log it. Yanti - HI!! **Waving** we're thinking about you and miss you. Hope all is well - who's racing this weekend?!

Good call! It let me vote again!

2014-03-07 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatee!

March 8-9
Salty -  Lake Sammamish Half Marathon on Saturday

Disabled list:
Darren - shin splits and calf pain, general malaise
Monica - neck/back, job stress

Jantastic Information
Remember to log those runs!

March 10 is Michael's birthday

2014-03-07 1:53 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatee!

March 8-9
Salty -  Lake Sammamish Half Marathon on Saturday

Disabled list:
Darren - shin splits and calf pain, general malaise
Monica - neck/back, job stress

Jantastic Information
Remember to log those runs!

March 10 is Michael's birthday

Go Salty!!!!!

Heal Darren and Monica !

Monica, tell those dopes at work to get a grip!!

2014-03-07 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Everyone knows black is faster than white. Problem solved :-)

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38304 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.