BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-07 2:37 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatee!

March 8-9
Salty -  Lake Sammamish Half Marathon on Saturday

Disabled list:
Darren - shin splits and calf pain, general malaise
Monica - neck/back, job stress

Jantastic Information
Remember to log those runs!

March 10 is Michael's birthday

RUN SALTY RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darren and Monica... off.the.list.now.

2014-03-07 5:02 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatee!

March 8-9

Disabled list:

Jantastic Information

GO SALTY!!!

Get better Monica and Darren.

We are off to the vet this morning for puppies, I'll let you know how we go.
2014-03-07 5:06 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by StaceyK

Racing Manatee!

March 8-9

Disabled list:

Jantastic Information

GO SALTY!!! Get better Monica and Darren. We are off to the vet this morning for puppies, I'll let you know how we go.

Yay puppies!!!!!!!!!!!

2014-03-07 5:13 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatee!

March 8-9

Disabled list:

Jantastic Information

GO SALTY!!! Get better Monica and Darren. We are off to the vet this morning for puppies, I'll let you know how we go.

Woo Hoo!! I expect pictures!

2014-03-07 6:07 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I had a hell workout last night. It's been just pouring here in Seattle. It rains here a lot, obviously but it rarely pours.

Anyhoo, I was supposed to do WU/CD and 4 miles @ 6:38. I was wearing all black and the main group of girls were doing 4 @ 6:40 so I opted to run with them until we got to the trail around the lake so that I didn't get hit with a car, then to run a bit ahead so I could hit my pacing (I know, it's just 2 seconds ...)

The trail had like 1-2" standing water about half the time. At first I was avoiding it then, about the time my shoe filled with water I said screw it.

Anyway we did like 6:36, 6:40 then I hit the trail and did 6:34 and finished with 6:30. Just total crap pacing. I felt like total shyte afterward, too.

It just doesn't having me feeling very confident for the HM this weekend. Nor does the 15K race from last week. I hope I can get some mojo back here soon.

Everyone knows black is faster than white. Problem solved :-)

See now, my roadie friends always say with regard to sartorial choices that, "Black is intimidating.  White is fast!"

Ergo, the REAL questions is, "What color is your race kit, Salty?"

Matt

2014-03-07 6:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

I had a hell workout last night. It's been just pouring here in Seattle. It rains here a lot, obviously but it rarely pours.

Anyhoo, I was supposed to do WU/CD and 4 miles @ 6:38. I was wearing all black and the main group of girls were doing 4 @ 6:40 so I opted to run with them until we got to the trail around the lake so that I didn't get hit with a car, then to run a bit ahead so I could hit my pacing (I know, it's just 2 seconds ...)

The trail had like 1-2" standing water about half the time. At first I was avoiding it then, about the time my shoe filled with water I said screw it.

Anyway we did like 6:36, 6:40 then I hit the trail and did 6:34 and finished with 6:30. Just total crap pacing. I felt like total shyte afterward, too.

It just doesn't having me feeling very confident for the HM this weekend. Nor does the 15K race from last week. I hope I can get some mojo back here soon.

See now, my roadie friends always say with regard to sartorial choices that, "Black is intimidating.  White is fast!"

Matt

Sartorial Choices???? Man, you've got some high faluttin' friends.

I think she'll say orange.

GOOOOOO SALTY!!!!!!!!

Heal up folks, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Edited by cdban66 2014-03-07 6:23 PM

2014-03-07 6:47 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

Matt

GOOOOOO SALTY!!!!!!!!

Yall are very sweet. Thanks

And here in the running world we call it a singlet, not a kit  

Chris was spot on, go ORANGE! 

And rest up all the rest of ya! 

2014-03-07 7:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt

GOOOOOO SALTY!!!!!!!!

Chris was spot on, go ORANGE! 

Pre race beverage choice?????

2014-03-07 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Matt

GOOOOOO SALTY!!!!!!!!

Chris was spot on, go ORANGE

I always race in orange, too!  At least something in my kit is - shoes, bar tape, tri-top, goggles, whatever - every time!

Shoulda known you'd be so stylish.  

(and Singlet!  *facepalm*   Has it been THAT long that I've been doing tri's???)

Rock it Manatee Racers!

Matt

2014-03-08 1:57 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
10 puppies! I'm gonna be a busy girl for a few weeks.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (2208KB - 3 downloads)
2014-03-08 3:48 AM

User image

Master
Orlando
Originally posted by StaceyK10 puppies! I'm gonna be a busy girl for a few weeks.
Awwww!!!!!

2014-03-08 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK 10 puppies! I'm gonna be a busy girl for a few weeks.

They're beautiful!

10?!  Wow!  

2014-03-08 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by StaceyK10 puppies! I'm gonna be a busy girl for a few weeks.
So cute!
2014-03-08 9:20 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

10 puppies! I'm gonna be a busy girl for a few weeks.

That picture made my day
2014-03-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Seattle
Woah, PRed the race!
2014-03-08 3:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Originally posted by AsalzwedWoah, PRed the race!
Congrats!!!! And, of course... We told d you so!!!!!

Edited by rrrunner 2014-03-08 3:17 PM

2014-03-08 3:35 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by AsalzwedWoah, PRed the race!
Congrats!!!! And, of course... We told d you so!!!!!

lol, yes we did!!  Congratulations!!!!

2014-03-08 4:37 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
Thanks for the faith everyone!! And Chris, I had a Graf[t] beer. It was a duel effort between a local brewery and new Belgium. It's a IPL and has a small bit of apple must (unfermented apple juice)
2014-03-08 4:39 PM

User image

Seattle
And those puppies, omg Stacy!!!
2014-03-08 7:38 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK 10 puppies! I'm gonna be a busy girl for a few weeks.

Oh so cute lah!

2014-03-08 7:40 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Asalzwed Woah, PRed the race!

Nice!

2014-03-09 3:15 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Asalzwed Woah, PRed the race!

CONSPANKULATIONS SALTY!

Salty the cat just came in meowing loudly. Clearly she concurs. Dammnit, HE. It's a HE.

Anyhow ...

it was really Chris Lieto who hammered it home (how apropos re his biking ability) to me that, as long as you're not actually wearing yourself down or are stressed beyond the usual in the run-up to a race, how you feel that week or at the beginning of the race is probably not going to dictate the outcome. If you go for it, your body will respond to how it's been trained. Throw your heart into it, however you feel; 9 times out of 10 the body follows.

2014-03-09 8:52 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

Wow, cute puppies! 

2014-03-09 1:27 PM
in reply to: Buckshot

User image

Denver, CO
Hi, All. Yanti kindly gave in to my begging and let me join the party at this late date. So glad to be here!! Here's a bit of info about me:

Name: Mary (laffinrock=laughing rock=merry stone; you get the picture. Just don't take me for granite.)

I'm taking another shot at doing my first tri this year. As a kid, I spent my time running, biking, and playing in the water even though I didn't really know how to swim. As I got older, those activities got replaced by music (played oboe, sang in several choirs) and other stuff. I took swimming lessons about 12 years ago. I didn't do much swimming after that until recently, even though I know how good it is for my body and soul. I've always enjoyed being active, doing stuff like hiking with the dogs and working in my garden. My DH did some tris a few years ago and a friend has done a couple. Every time I watched, I kept thinking, "I could do that." In June 2011, I finally decided to do one, trained for 10 days and hurt my back. (Back bend over exercise ball to ease tightness in SI area, then couldn't sit/stand/walk for a couple weeks and significant pain until very recently.) Between chronic pain, depression, and some major family drama, it's been a rough couple years. Now, 2 hip surgeries later (3/2012 and 7/2013) and a near-miss with back surgery, I've found a chiropractor who has me feeling strong and confident enough to tackle my goal again.

I have a wonderful partner, Alex; we've been together for 16 years. We have 3 fur kids: 2 border collies and a cat. One of the BCs, Shanti, is my avatar as well as my inspiration. She has bad hips (2 surgeries before she was a year) but is the funniest, most playful, and smartest dog I've ever met. She has been gimpy lately but doesn't let that stop her one bit. She just bounces around and lets me know that she has 3 perfectly good legs so throw the toy already! Her wonderful lack of self-pity and pure joy make me laugh even on my darkest days.

I've mostly been swimming and doing core strengthening exercises, with the occasional 2-3 mile hilly walk with the dogs. Going to start adding in the bike this week, then walking. Not sure I'll get to running this year; if not this year, then maybe next year. I'll just to play it by ear and see what my 45 year-old body will tolerate.

Don't have any races scheduled yet but am shooting for a sprint later this summer. Maybe the Rattlesnake (Aurora), Boulder Sundown, or Fort Collins. I think I can handle an open-water swim, but my DH keeps suggesting I go with a pool swim. Not sure yet which way I'll go. No races last year. Before surgery last July, I had a hard time even walking around for 15 min., could swim 800 yds. but only with a pull buoy and biking was completely out of the question.

I'm 5'7" and 140 lbs. I'm really lucky to have never had much difficulty with weight or flexibility but am seriously lacking in strength and endurance. I'm mostly interested in increasing strength and endurance; if I lost some weight, I wouldn't mind - that would just be an added bonus.

Looking forward to spending time with everybody here!

m
2014-03-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Artemis

Hiya Manatees!!  Want to help a fellow Manatee win a gift certificate for free cycling clothes?

I'm in Road Holland's Worst Cycling Kit contest as "Where are my sleeves".  I'd love to get some new cycling clothes, so please vote for me!!  Clearly, I have no pride, so any and all help for votes would be appreciated.

I'm a little behind but I just voted for you - glad to see you are hanging on to 2nd place!! Can we vote every day? C'mon guys!! Kate - how did the interview go? Janyne - I use a google calendar too but just high level. for a given day I'll put "run" but then if I want detail I'll go to garmin connect where it auto uploads or BT where I log it. Yanti - HI!! **Waving** we're thinking about you and miss you. Hope all is well - who's racing this weekend?!

It's based on cookies, so you can vote from as many computers or browsers that have different cookies.  If you know how, open a new incognito window, vote, close, and repeat.  I may have done that for an hour or so at work the other day.  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38304 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.