BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-05-15 11:15 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by Hot Runner Did they allow deferments after Victoria was cancelled? Not sure what I should do. If I keep the Calgary entry, there's basically zero chance I'd come up to do it even if it went on in Sept., but afraid if I request to transfer to a US race and that's canceled, I'll lose all my money whereas I can see them allowing me to defer to Calgary 2021 if Calgary 2020 is cancelled. Grr...I lost about $650 to IM last year and now this. Seriously, they should give me a Kona slot!

I guess if they gave Kona slots to everyone who paid and didn't get to race it'd be pretty crowded on the Queen K....

I am not sure about Victoria.  I wasn't signed up, just knew some people that were.  I think they did, but not sure.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

2020-05-16 6:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Did they allow deferments after Victoria was cancelled? Not sure what I should do. If I keep the Calgary entry, there's basically zero chance I'd come up to do it even if it went on in Sept., but afraid if I request to transfer to a US race and that's canceled, I'll lose all my money whereas I can see them allowing me to defer to Calgary 2021 if Calgary 2020 is cancelled. Grr...I lost about $650 to IM last year and now this. Seriously, they should give me a Kona slot!

Ugh, sorry that stinks!  I wonder whether IM will change entry costs if they have to put on a smaller race? Will they up the registration to try to make up for it? I imagine there will be enough people willing to race that they will be able to fill all available slots, so I don't see a reduction to lure racers but can imagine the opposite. If it does go up anymore it may price me out!

2020-05-16 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm so sorry about this. I think that Kirsten may be right, hang tight and hope for a 2021 deferral. I think that you can probably get $75 back of you withdraw now but that would still leave more than $200 on the table.

I'm not sure that its worth your time to try to contact them. In the best of times, their customer service is not stellar and I never heard back about my inquiry earlier this year.

2020-05-16 7:46 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Ugh, sorry that stinks!  I wonder whether IM will change entry costs if they have to put on a smaller race? Will they up the registration to try to make up for it? I imagine there will be enough people willing to race that they will be able to fill all available slots, so I don't see a reduction to lure racers but can imagine the opposite. If it does go up anymore it may price me out!

Their business model is most likely going to need to change, that's for sure.

From what I've seen on Slowtwitch, some people will race under almost any rules.

2020-05-16 7:48 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It looks like the trails in western North Carolina have started a phased reopening. They have a wear or carry a facemask requirement as well as a leave no trace (aka, no garbage pickup) requirement.  For my local road rides, I've been carrying a knock off Buff in my jersey pocket just in case.

Do you have any facemask-while-exercising suggestions/requirements in your area?

2020-05-16 8:11 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by leatherneckpaProof Of Life. Great news from my cardiologist as of Wednesday's catheterization. There were no significant blockages, nothing over 30%, and no build up in the one pre-existing stent. He says that I am free to return to strenuous exercise. My primary care physician is prescribing prevacid as an attempt to determine whether I have been subject to gerd or perhaps an ulcer. I'm pretty happy with that.I would love to do a manatee gather sometime next year. Just for group consideration, the geographic center of the contiguous United States is in the middle of Kansas. Perhaps we should look at something in that general area? Hopefully, we're talking about something in the Sprint / Olympic area, as opposed to the IM's that all you crazy people do
That is great news!!Mid country meetup: I would go near Ann and do some gravel riding! (Of course I will have to get a gravel bike).

2020-05-16 8:20 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by jmkizer

It looks like the trails in western North Carolina have started a phased reopening. They have a wear or carry a facemask requirement as well as a leave no trace (aka, no garbage pickup) requirement.  For my local road rides, I've been carrying a knock off Buff in my jersey pocket just in case.

Do you have any facemask-while-exercising suggestions/requirements in your area?

We have been taking a mask and using it when near people. I thought a buff would work. It is not ideal, it slides down too much. I am avoiding all trials, parks, greenways, etc on the weekends and being highly selective during the week. It seems the entire US is coming to WNC and acting like the virus is just gone. There is very little distancing, few masks, lots kids and dogs running rampant and a just generally rude people. I know people are excited to get out, but it is just plain scary for those of us who are on the vulnerable list.
2020-05-16 10:13 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My coach says this may be the last year for Calgary 70.3, which might explain lack of a deferment option. I asked her to clarify if that was a rumor or something she has heard from IM. She coaches a lot of KQ types and usually has the inside scoop on this stuff, but not sure about her contacts for Canadian and overseas events.
2020-05-16 10:23 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have seen no requirement for facemarks while running/exercising. I'd say maybe 25-30% of people, mostly older people, either wear them on the trails (our "trails" are mostly really popular groomed wood chip paths) or at least have them and pull them up when passing/being passed (which is what I do). In recent weeks there seems to be more awareness from the many, many collegiate and post-collegiate elite types who train here that people worry about them as disease vectors. I think maybe the coaches have talked with them--they are almost all now giving the rest of us a wide berth and, on the sidewalks, going out into the street as they approach walkers at a 4-5 minute mile pace.

That being said, we're not a very high-density town to begin with, and with probably 80-90% of the college kids having left campus, it's even less crowded. We started "Phase 1" of re-opening yesterday, with some restaurants allowed to offer limited dine-in and retail with limited customer numbers (or by appointment). Restaurants still looked mostly empty--typical for summer months in a college town. Mom and I went to our favorite coffee place and there were three couples, widely spaced out, in a shop that can fit 100+ customers. We had the back patio to ourselves. They have alternate tables marked out with duct tape X's to maintain social distancing. I think it will become much more of a challenge if/when the college students return.
2020-05-16 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

We don't have a face mask while exercising outdoor requirement or suggestion. We are still at no more than 10 people in a group and social distance requirements.

2020-05-16 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The info I got from Calgary seems to contradict IM's own stated policy on their website:

Postponement: Registered athletes for events that are postponed due to COVID-19 by the local health authorities are automatically transferred to the rescheduled date. For those that the new date does not work, we will allow deferrals into the same event the next year.

I'm in the latter category, but not being given that option. Just sayin'. Maybe it IS their last year? But I can't find anything to that effect on their website. I tried to contact the Calgary organizers; really doubt I'll get a timely response. I have to indicate my choice by May 26.

2020-05-16 1:02 PM
in reply to: #5270167

Major bummer today. We have a local tri here in my town that I moved to last year that has run for several years. I was going to make it my first one this year. I assumed it would be cancelled for the year though, but went on the website to double check this morning. It's cancelled permanently and will no longer run. I assume this is for reasons beyond covid, and maybe that was just the tipping point. But a total letdown that it won't be available again at all.
2020-05-16 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh

We have been taking a mask and using it when near people. I thought a buff would work. It is not ideal, it slides down too much. I am avoiding all trials, parks, greenways, etc on the weekends and being highly selective during the week. It seems the entire US is coming to WNC and acting like the virus is just gone. There is very little distancing, few masks, lots kids and dogs running rampant and a just generally rude people. I know people are excited to get out, but it is just plain scary for those of us who are on the vulnerable list.

I agree about the buff. It does not last a whole trip to the grocery store before starting to inch down. I find it good for short term use though and I would be fine wearing them to change a flat.  Plus I got a stack of them for like $2 each.

2020-05-16 2:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

We don't have a face mask while exercising outdoor requirement or suggestion. We are still at no more than 10 people in a group and social distance requirements.

Same. Social distancing, no more than 10 people in a group. Face masks suggested when you cannot maintain a distance of at least 6-feet.

DuPont State Forest - "Most of the trail system is open, and visitors should come prepared to access trails and to keep moving. Come prepared to share trails with all types of users. Trail courtesy is critical during this time to ensure safe access for everyone. " 

Only You can Prevent Forest Closures << I guess this is the Friends of DuPont page?

• If you are sick STAY HOME!
  • Keep moving! Don’t linger in the parking lot or in other areas in the Forest
  • Stay 6 feet away from people not in your group. Be aware of others around you and give them space to safely get by you on the trail.
  • Wear or carry a mask
  • Take it easy – don’t end up in the ER.
  • Come prepared! Know where you are going and pack essentials

Pisgah National Forest - Visitors can expect restrooms to remain closed and trash services to continue to be suspended. Please pack out what you pack in and remember to use Leave No Trace Principles... local and state guidelines for social distancing and cloth face coverings.

P.S. Ask me about changing requirements.  My group is putting together the Count on Me NC training for restaurants.  We do the slides and voiceover.  Requirement change! We redo the slides and voiceover.  It goes on...

2020-05-16 11:00 PM

User image

Expert

I agree about the buff. It does not last a whole trip to the grocery store before starting to inch down. I find it good for short term use though and I would be fine wearing them to change a flat.  Plus I got a stack of them for like $2 each.

I have an Under Armor Balaclava, that I use primarily for cold weather hunting, but secondarily for running outside in the winter (mostly when we spend time at my in-laws during the winter and I need a break). It stays on well and isn't difficult to breath in. The longest I've run in it was 15 miles when the Witchy Wolf Run was still going.

I have a social distancing complaint too. I ran into the state park by my house today. Even though the annual birding festival has been cancelled, we still had hundreds of birders at the park. I don't blame them, because if it's your hobby, these few weeks are a rare opportunity to see hundreds of species of birds in one place, at one time, and without much work. 1) for people have a hobby that requires intense observation, they are completely unaware of their environment. They did would take up the entire path, just standing there looking up. Refusing to move or make space for anyone. 2) for people who engage in a pretty solitary hobby, they had no comprehension of social distancing. Large groups of the standing together, usually on the path and leaving no choice but to run through them or turn around. It was crazy.
2020-05-17 8:33 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Same. Social distancing, no more than 10 people in a group. Face masks suggested when you cannot maintain a distance of at least 6-feet.

DuPont State Forest - "Most of the trail system is open, and visitors should come prepared to access trails and to keep moving. Come prepared to share trails with all types of users. Trail courtesy is critical during this time to ensure safe access for everyone. " 

Only You can Prevent Forest Closures << I guess this is the Friends of DuPont page?

• Stay 6 feet away from people not in your group. Be aware of others around you and give them space to safely get by you on the trail.
  • Wear or carry a mask

Pisgah National Forest - Visitors can expect restrooms to remain closed and trash services to continue to be suspended. Please pack out what you pack in and remember to use Leave No Trace Principles... local and state guidelines for social distancing and cloth face coverings.

P.S. Ask me about changing requirements.  My group is putting together the Count on Me NC training for restaurants.  We do the slides and voiceover.  Requirement change! We redo the slides and voiceover.  It goes on...

hey Janyne, are you doing the training for vacation rental or hotel? We are very interested. We are following CDC guidelines as best as possible.

2020-05-17 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Choo 70.3 day! Of course I checked Chattanooga weather and it looks pretty nice- certainly less hot than last year. About this time I think I’d be getting close to T-2, instead I’m sitting on my patio, a ice pack around my knee watching Meet the Press  I hope you all are getting some form of SBR done!

2020-05-17 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Wear or carry a mask

hey Janyne, are you doing the training for vacation rental or hotel? We are very interested. We are following CDC guidelines as best as possible.

They are doing two modules that can be used for that.  Restaurant managers is live now (governor will announce it tomorrow), front of the house and back of the house will be live this week. Cleaning and disinfecting and general best practices will be the other two modules.  To get the sticker for your business, I think that you may need to do the manager's training (I'll try to confirm this tomorrow).  It's 25 minutes long and the sticker comes from the NC Restaurant and Lodging Association so it would still make sense for your place.  The other modules are shorter.

EDIT: Confirmed, you need to take the Restaurant Owner/Operator/Manager training to get the sticker.

Edited by jmkizer 2020-05-17 9:57 AM
2020-05-17 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Choo 70.3 day! Of course I checked Chattanooga weather and it looks pretty nice- certainly less hot than last year. About this time I think I’d be getting close to T-2, instead I’m sitting on my patio, a ice pack around my knee watching Meet the Press  I hope you all are getting some form of SBR done!

I rode yesterday. I ran today.  No swimming. Don't really miss it. haha!

Next up, a few weeks of 80/20 maintenance plan. Then a trip to Fletcher for a week before starting a bike specialty plan.  I am negotiating to bring two bikes. 

We got Biltmore annual passes. I made the mistake of using our Apex address on the passes though. I think that I need to change the address to Fletcher, if they'll let me.  Anyway, the annual passes are on sale in May and good for 15 months. Worthwhile if you think you'll visit twice during that time.

2020-05-17 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

• Wear or carry a mask

They are doing two modules that can be used for that.  Restaurant managers is live now (governor will announce it tomorrow), front of the house and back of the house will be live this week. Cleaning and disinfecting and general best practices will be the other two modules.  To get the sticker for your business, I think that you may need to do the manager's training (I'll try to confirm this tomorrow).  It's 25 minutes long and the sticker comes from the NC Restaurant and Lodging Association so it would still make sense for your place.  The other modules are shorter.

EDIT: Confirmed, you need to take the Restaurant Owner/Operator/Manager training to get the sticker.

thanks!
2020-05-18 4:47 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by JBacarella

I have an Under Armor Balaclava, that I use primarily for cold weather hunting, but secondarily for running outside in the winter (mostly when we spend time at my in-laws during the winter and I need a break). It stays on well and isn't difficult to breath in. The longest I've run in it was 15 miles when the Witchy Wolf Run was still going.

I have a social distancing complaint too. I ran into the state park by my house today. Even though the annual birding festival has been cancelled, we still had hundreds of birders at the park. I don't blame them, because if it's your hobby, these few weeks are a rare opportunity to see hundreds of species of birds in one place, at one time, and without much work. 1) for people have a hobby that requires intense observation, they are completely unaware of their environment. They did would take up the entire path, just standing there looking up. Refusing to move or make space for anyone. 2) for people who engage in a pretty solitary hobby, they had no comprehension of social distancing. Large groups of the standing together, usually on the path and leaving no choice but to run through them or turn around. It was crazy.

We have the bird watchers here too --- they do get pretty focused on their target and are a little dangerous on the bike path

2020-05-18 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

• Wear or carry a mask

thanks!

Also, the program has only on downloadable certificate. In other words, you get the same certificate no matter what class you take.

2020-05-18 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Monday!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

2020-05-18 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Monday!

Manatee Meetup at 11:30 eastern (10:30 central, 9:30 mountain, 8:30 pacific, etc.)

https://bit.ly/RacingManatee

Password manatee (all lowercase)

Sorry to miss it today.

2020-05-18 9:35 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I ran across this article yesterday and I thought that it was pretty entertaining. "We asked our readers and staff to review their homes like a vacation. Their parodies did not disappoint."

Comfortable accommodations in a quiet neighborhood. Food is decent if you like home-cooked meals at odd hours. Housekeeping really needs to step up their game, though. The place is a mess. Staff seems distracted by their tiny manager. He’s cute, but he cries a lot and frequently falls asleep on the job. Gave an extra star for the dogs.

The hotel’s highly rated restaurant is good, but they take the idea of “charming cooking classes” too far. Fun, yes, but every meal?!?

The hotel lobby was overrun with children and was playing a constant loop of “Baby Shark.” When I politely inquired about a babysitter, the hotel staff member laughed in my face...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127