BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-03 5:56 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

OK, I pulled the trigger and paid the registration for Worlds in Sweden in June.  Might just be me, or maybe with Kim - slight chance the whole gang… but probably just me.  That said, I kinda can't believe I'm going to fly to another country for a race.  Seems almost insane, for like a hundred reasons, but I'm now psyched.

Paying a registration has a way of breaking down certain mental barriers.

Now I'm actually looking at my whole season and am trying hard not to go out and register for a crap-ton of races (let the adrenaline fade, right?).  Or maybe I just should?!?

Just sayin' - not really sure why I'm even posting this, but I felt something shift when I dropped the coin.  Onward!

Matt

Awesome...destination race that is also championship. Cool stuff.

2015-02-03 8:35 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Stacey - We’re rain dancing for Western Australia

Matt TX - Congrats on registering for Sweden. If you are still thinking of getting a coach for this, hold off on registering for anything else until you can talk to said coach. Otherwise, just do what feels right. I mean, you didn’t qualify for worlds without some kind of experience to draw on (I don’t think!). P.S. Pay for shipping your bike via TBT or other before spending more on race registration ;-)

2015-02-03 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

OK, I pulled the trigger and paid the registration for Worlds in Sweden in June.  Might just be me, or maybe with Kim - slight chance the whole gang… but probably just me.  That said, I kinda can't believe I'm going to fly to another country for a race.  Seems almost insane, for like a hundred reasons, but I'm now psyched.

Now I'm actually looking at my whole season and am trying hard not to go out and register for a crap-ton of races (let the adrenaline fade, right?).  Or maybe I just should?!?

Just sayin' - not really sure why I'm even posting this, but I felt something shift when I dropped the coin.  Onward!

Matt

This sounds pretty cool.  Congrats!

2015-02-03 9:39 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Matt

I can't even imagine how excited you must be!!  You'll love Sweden.  Be careful what you order, though.  "Tomfisk" is tuna fish, which they serve on pizza--learned from painful experience.  There's a Twitter account for the Swedish Department of Tourism (@sweden) you might get a kick out of.  It's run by a different person each week so the tweets are all over the map, some funny, some helpful, some just weird.

2015-02-03 9:44 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock

Matt

I can't even imagine how excited you must be!!  You'll love Sweden.  Be careful what you order, though.  "Tomfisk" is tuna fish, which they serve on pizza--learned from painful experience.  There's a Twitter account for the Swedish Department of Tourism (@sweden) you might get a kick out of.  It's run by a different person each week so the tweets are all over the map, some funny, some helpful, some just weird.

Yeah, watch out for tomfisk. You're better off going with lutefisk.

2015-02-03 9:58 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Whenever corduroy pillows are sold, they make head-lines. 

Bah-dum-CHING.  That one never gets tired.

You sure? Sounds like it's ready to be put to bed.

You're so full of bunk.

I am the Queen.

You're all sidelinedMy twisted head is thinking I could do my descending marathon in May and ascend with Salty in August :-)Oh and take my azz off the DL, I just did 5 miles
yes! The crazy thing about ascending is that yes, it's hard at the time but it doesn't beat your legs up the same way a road race on asphalt does. Do it!

So my RnR HM time qualifies...

Seriously, why wouldn't you do it? 

Although, they said there would be info on registration in Jan and it's now Feb....

I think it said it opens March 18. I actually have a trail here that would be perfect for training. I've done it several times. Though it's "only" 7 or 8 miles in length the climb sounds very similar to the ascent, including a boulder slide that would mimic the large steps toward the top of the ascent. Altitude? No prob!

So, you'll be beating me to the top!

I live at like, 300' elevation hahahaha

So both this race and my new shoes were featured in this month's RW Magazine. Only a few pages apart. Coincidence?!?!?!?!

2015-02-03 10:07 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Matt

Awesome...destination race that is also championship. Cool stuff.

^^^ Exactly! Right on. You deserve a wonderful adventure!

2015-02-03 10:10 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

Thank you everyone for the congrats and especially the wonderful wishes for Smoky. Lil Smoky-Bear is still in the woods, but he has escaped fire already, time to get outta the trees too!

But he's kinda busy climbing the walls ... and making the vet staff do so too, I think!

Please keep up the prayers/goodwill. I have faith he will be healed.

2015-02-03 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Thank you everyone for the congrats and especially the wonderful wishes for Smoky. Lil Smoky-Bear is still in the woods, but he has escaped fire already, time to get outta the trees too!

But he's kinda busy climbing the walls ... and making the vet staff do so too, I think!

So much like his momma... strong will to heal and too stir crazy to relax and let it happen

2015-02-03 10:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Thanks for posting the picture of the little guy being rambunctious.  Made my day to see him.

2015-02-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Whenever corduroy pillows are sold, they make head-lines. 

Bah-dum-CHING.  That one never gets tired.

You sure? Sounds like it's ready to be put to bed.

You're so full of bunk.

I am the Queen.

You're all sidelinedMy twisted head is thinking I could do my descending marathon in May and ascend with Salty in August :-)Oh and take my azz off the DL, I just did 5 miles
yes! The crazy thing about ascending is that yes, it's hard at the time but it doesn't beat your legs up the same way a road race on asphalt does. Do it!

So my RnR HM time qualifies...

Seriously, why wouldn't you do it? 

Although, they said there would be info on registration in Jan and it's now Feb....

I think it said it opens March 18. I actually have a trail here that would be perfect for training. I've done it several times. Though it's "only" 7 or 8 miles in length the climb sounds very similar to the ascent, including a boulder slide that would mimic the large steps toward the top of the ascent. Altitude? No prob!

So, you'll be beating me to the top!

I live at like, 300' elevation hahahaha

So both this race and my new shoes were featured in this month's RW Magazine. Only a few pages apart. Coincidence?!?!?!?!

Such signs should never be ignored.  Someone is trying to guide you.

2015-02-03 11:30 AM

User image

Seattle

Matt

And ummmmm, let's not forget, you qualified for this bad boy. 

Well done and I am so glad you are going!!!!!

2015-02-03 11:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Seattle

Matt

Ughhhhhh lutefisk......

Once towards the end of  long run, when you start getting delirious, we talked about how they should make a lutefisk gel for Scandinavian runners.. I mean, they wouldn't have to do much other than package it. 

Edited by Asalzwed 2015-02-03 11:32 AM
2015-02-03 11:42 AM

User image

Seattle

I have the Believe Training Journal (which by the way, a handwritten log is AMAZING) and along with space for simply logging your workouts there is a lot of other content. Sprinkled through the weeks are little thought provoking quotes and questions.

Anyway, one of them said something along the lines of, "What would it feel like to achieve your goal."

I'll share my response but I'd like to hear what you all have to say! 

2015-02-03 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I have the Believe Training Journal (which by the way, a handwritten log is AMAZING) and along with space for simply logging your workouts there is a lot of other content. Sprinkled through the weeks are little thought provoking quotes and questions.

Anyway, one of them said something along the lines of, "What would it feel like to achieve your goal."

They had some of those at the LRS, signed by some of the Oiselle runners. Of course I could get down to the store before the books sold out.  As for the response... "empowering"

2015-02-03 12:13 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Matt

Ughhhhhh lutefisk......

Once towards the end of  long run, when you start getting delirious, we talked about how they should make a lutefisk gel for Scandinavian runners.. I mean, they wouldn't have to do much other than package it. 

Lutefisk is Norwegian.  Surströmming is the Swedish version.  It appears to be just as noxious, if not more so.  It scarily comes in cans that bulge.  You might want to keep your distance.

2015-02-03 12:20 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I feel exhilarated and triumphant.  I got to experience that several times last year as I rebuilt my body.  I cried after my first 5K and my first tri because it had been such a hard journey.  After my first 10K, I was on a total high for several days.  I felt like I was a badazz *real* athlete.

2015-02-03 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

The first word that pops into my head is "fleeting".  I've set out and attained a lot of goals.  No matter how big the goal the exhilaration lasts briefly and I start thinking about the next goal.  I guess for me it demonstrates that I enjoy the journey over the destination.  Not that I do not revel in the destination I just love the things that happen along the way. 

2015-02-03 12:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yay, Matt, for pushing the register button!  What an experience it will be, and how interesting that you instantly had a mind shift.  Good stuff!

Stacey - praying for the firefighters and any living being that could be in the path of flooding or fire.  Sounds like a very scary situation.  The list of slang was fun!

TJ - of course it's a sign!

Yanti and Smoky - Smoky - keep being your strong, tough, determined self and kick the illness to the curb!  Yanti - keep being your awesome, loving, compassionate self.

Mike - ha ha ha, yeah, 20 minute test sounds so innocent now...

Salty - I've fallen in love with Oiselle sports bras, thank you for introducing them to me!  I think Ann-Marie and TJ may have had a part in it, too.  In response to your question, "What would it feel like to achieve your goal": I'll share how I've been feeling lately, working with a coach.  I feel like a creature that is growing and developing inside an egg shell.  I know something really good is going to hatch out of the shell and I'm really excited to see just what it is and what it can do.  Sounds a bit hokey, but it's how I feel.

Chris - has your snow situation improved?

2015-02-03 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

If I manage to hit my goal, I'm happy and maybe content for a very short period b/c then I have a new goal to try to hit.  That has been especially true lately as my goals are baby steps as I try to 1) get my shoulder healed properly; and 2) get my running back to where it was pre-injury.  But even when I am healthy and running strong, my goals shift regularly.

2015-02-03 12:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Yay, Matt, for pushing the register button!  What an experience it will be, and how interesting that you instantly had a mind shift.  Good stuff!

Stacey - praying for the firefighters and any living being that could be in the path of flooding or fire.  Sounds like a very scary situation.  The list of slang was fun!

Yanti and Smoky - Smoky - keep being your strong, tough, determined self and kick the illness to the curb!  Yanti - keep being your awesome, loving, compassionate self.

Salty - I've fallen in love with Oiselle sports bras, thank you for introducing them to me!  I think Ann-Marie and TJ may have had a part in it, too.  In response to your question, "What would it feel like to achieve your goal": I'll share how I've been feeling lately, working with a coach.  I feel like a creature that is growing and developing inside an egg shell.  I know something really good is going to hatch out of the shell and I'm really excited to see just what it is and what it can do.  Sounds a bit hokey, but it's how I feel.

I love my Oiselle shorts and tops!  I have lots of both.  I have not used their sports bras, but maybe that will be my next Oiselle purchase.  I really should by stock in the company

2015-02-03 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

I love my Oiselle shorts and tops!  I have lots of both.  I have not used their sports bras, but maybe that will be my next Oiselle purchase.  I really should by stock in the company

I saw on FB or the Twit something that looked like Oiselle opening a new location. Salty or anyone know anything about that?

Edited by rrrunner 2015-02-03 1:03 PM
2015-02-03 1:27 PM

User image

Seattle

I saw on FB or the Twit something that looked like Oiselle opening a new location. Salty or anyone know anything about that?

Yeah. So first, not a "new" location, but a location period. Currently they don't have a storefront.

But of course they are being  a little vague on the deets.  I think it's pretty surely going to be  in Seattle (99% sure) but I don't know much more than that.

I had tweeted Sally about an experience store a long time ago and she kind of allude to it already being in the works. 

So, that is all I know

2015-02-03 1:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Yeah. So first, not a "new" location, but a location period. Currently they don't have a storefront.

But of course they are being  a little vague on the deets.  I think it's pretty surely going to be  in Seattle (99% sure) but I don't know much more than that.

I had tweeted Sally about an experience store a long time ago and she kind of allude to it already being in the works. 

So, that is all I know

Just as long as they don't put on a half marathon and I'm the only guy that shows up.  I seem to be a sucker for those.

2015-02-03 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So, that is all I know

Huh. thanks for the info. I guess I thought since they had a location for the sample sale that they... had a location.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55505 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.