BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-03 2:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)

Originally posted by melbo55

Salty - In response to your question, "What would it feel like to achieve your goal": I'll share how I've been feeling lately, working with a coach.  I feel like a creature that is growing and developing inside an egg shell.  I know something really good is going to hatch out of the shell and I'm really excited to see just what it is and what it can do.  Sounds a bit hokey, but it's how I feel.

I know how you feel, Melanie.  Before this little hiccup, I really enjoyed exploring my potential and wondering how fast/how far I could go.  I'm looking forward to getting back to that soon.  After my first 5K, the next ones weren't nearly as exciting.  It has been cool, though, to see my speed increase and to see my times come down.  My 1st 5K, I was doing run/walk 12 min. miles.  In my last tri (a sprint), my run was more like sub-10's, as was my 10K in Nov.  I know that's not fast by some of y'all standards but to be able to improve that much in the space of 6 1/2 months was pretty exciting!!  I know I can't expect to continue to improve at that rate, except maybe in my swimming which is r.e.a.l.l.y. slow.  Even so, I know there's definitely more room to improve.

I agree with others that the sense of accomplishment is fleeting.  I've set goals in my training log, achieve them, and move on.  Still, I try to stay in the moment, even if just briefly, to relish what I've accomplished before I tackle the next goal.  I've given myself some cool gear as rewards for achieving goals, so every time I use something I earned, I get a little reminder of how hard I worked to get it.

2015-02-03 2:40 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

Yay, Matt, for pushing the register button!  What an experience it will be, and how interesting that you instantly had a mind shift.  Good stuff!

Stacey - praying for the firefighters and any living being that could be in the path of flooding or fire.  Sounds like a very scary situation.  The list of slang was fun!

TJ - of course it's a sign!

Yanti and Smoky - Smoky - keep being your strong, tough, determined self and kick the illness to the curb!  Yanti - keep being your awesome, loving, compassionate self.

Mike - ha ha ha, yeah, 20 minute test sounds so innocent now...

Salty - I've fallen in love with Oiselle sports bras, thank you for introducing them to me!  I think Ann-Marie and TJ may have had a part in it, too.  In response to your question, "What would it feel like to achieve your goal": I'll share how I've been feeling lately, working with a coach.  I feel like a creature that is growing and developing inside an egg shell.  I know something really good is going to hatch out of the shell and I'm really excited to see just what it is and what it can do.  Sounds a bit hokey, but it's how I feel.

Chris - has your snow situation improved?

I love my Oiselle shorts and tops!  I have lots of both.  I have not used their sports bras, but maybe that will be my next Oiselle purchase.  I really should by stock in the company

I saw on FB or the Twit something that looked like Oiselle opening a new location. Salty or anyone know anything about that?

Yeah. So first, not a "new" location, but a location period. Currently they don't have a storefront.

But of course they are being  a little vague on the deets.  I think it's pretty surely going to be  in Seattle (99% sure) but I don't know much more than that.

I had tweeted Sally about an experience store a long time ago and she kind of allude to it already being in the works. 

So, that is all I know

Huh. thanks for the info. I guess I thought since they had a location for the sample sale that they... had a location.

That was just their HQ. They open it up to the public during the sample sales

2015-02-03 2:50 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

Very interesting answers all, thank you for indulging me!

My response was very inline with those of you who leaned "fleeting"

I said, "A series of emotions that, while positive, are brief. Much like a landing on a series of stairs, I see accomplishing goals as small points along a greater journey. While the journey won't always be "up" or faster or longer, the intention will be for it to always be forward"

2015-02-03 3:17 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Very interesting answers all, thank you for indulging me!

My response was very inline with those of you who leaned "fleeting"

I said, "A series of emotions that, while positive, are brief. Much like a landing on a series of stairs, I see accomplishing goals as small points along a greater journey. While the journey won't always be "up" or faster or longer, the intention will be for it to always be forward"

As Monica's signature line says, "Forward is a pace."

2015-02-03 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I love my Oiselle shorts and tops!  I have lots of both.  I have not used their sports bras, but maybe that will be my next Oiselle purchase.  I really should by stock in the company

I saw on FB or the Twit something that looked like Oiselle opening a new location. Salty or anyone know anything about that?

Yeah. So first, not a "new" location, but a location period. Currently they don't have a storefront.

But of course they are being  a little vague on the deets.  I think it's pretty surely going to be  in Seattle (99% sure) but I don't know much more than that.

I had tweeted Sally about an experience store a long time ago and she kind of allude to it already being in the works. 

So, that is all I know

Huh. thanks for the info. I guess I thought since they had a location for the sample sale that they... had a location.

I actually contemplated the cost of airfare vs. the savings on getting oiselle stuff really cheap

2015-02-03 4:39 PM

User image

Seattle

So, that is all I know

I actually contemplated the cost of airfare vs. the savings on getting oiselle stuff really cheap

Heheh. I went but didn't buy anything. As an Oiselle team member we got to shop the day before. Even then, it's really a mixed bag in terms of what they have. I really want that puffy jacket to be honest, which is really not run-specific as you all have seen, I run in shorts year round. 

2015-02-03 5:23 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So, that is all I know

Heheh. I went but didn't buy anything. As an Oiselle team member we got to shop the day before. Even then, it's really a mixed bag in terms of what they have. I really want that puffy jacket to be honest, which is really not run-specific as you all have seen, I run in shorts year round. 

I hear ya. I love my Lux pants but rarely use them for running. Usually lounging. Sometimes stretching/rolling

2015-02-03 5:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

So, that is all I know

I hear ya. I love my Lux pants but rarely use them for running. Usually lounging. Sometimes stretching/rolling

PSA: running warehouse is having a pretty good sale on their stuff.

2015-02-03 7:29 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

::pokes head in::  

Hiya Manatees!  Long time no see!!  

So, lots of changes for me lately!  I had wrist surgery to repair a ligament in my right wrist on January 6.  I'm in an above-elbow cast.  2 more weeks of this torture!  I'm cleared to use exercise bikes and treadmill.  Apparently, the treadmill is safer?  I'd feel safer on the road; I trip less there.  Haven't done too much.  Sweating in the cast is nasty.

Also, I'm in CALIFORNIA!!!  DH got recruited to a very large social media company in the area.  We decided to take the plunge and move out here.  It was official on January 21.  We were the crazies with a 3 year old and 2 cats on a six hour flight to San Francisco.  I'm looking for a job, so currently a stay at home mom.  Very strange!

2015-02-03 8:21 PM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Artemis

So, lots of changes for me lately!  I had wrist surgery to repair a ligament in my right wrist on January 6.  I'm in an above-elbow cast.  2 more weeks of this torture!  I'm cleared to use exercise bikes and treadmill.  Apparently, the treadmill is safer?  I'd feel safer on the road; I trip less there.  Haven't done too much.  Sweating in the cast is nasty.

Also, I'm in CALIFORNIA!!!  DH got recruited to a very large social media company in the area.  We decided to take the plunge and move out here.  It was official on January 21.  We were the crazies with a 3 year old and 2 cats on a six hour flight to San Francisco.  I'm looking for a job, so currently a stay at home mom.  Very strange!

Jen so great to see you. I was thinking of you the other day wondering what you were up to.

I hope the arm isn't too itchy. Are you facing a very long period of rehab once its out of the cast?
2015-02-03 8:44 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by StaceyK

Jen so great to see you. I was thinking of you the other day wondering what you were up to. I hope the arm isn't too itchy. Are you facing a very long period of rehab once its out of the cast?

My arm is SO itchy, especially at night.  I'm on a pretty strict 25mg of benadryl before bed routine.  

I definitely have to do some PT and will be wearing a splint for awhile.  That will be fantastic compared to a cast.  I cannot wait to soak in the tub or go swimming! 

2015-02-04 6:15 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Have you guys seen this?

She, like our very own Salty, is a naked runner.

A dirty naked runner--this is TRAIL time.

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/nicole-studer-sets-womens-100-mile-trail-record?adbid=562641736220962816&adbpl=tw&adbpr=14882900&cid=social39839157

2015-02-04 6:18 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Wondermoooooooose!

I saw that you survived the transcon. Cast and all. Crazy indeed!

2015-02-04 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Jen, that's pretty cool stuff, congrats to you all for taking that jump! I'm sure it will all work out for the best and I'll cetainly be keeping you and your arm in my thoughts and prayers.

2015-02-04 7:28 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Katy, Texas
Holy smokes y'all are an active group! I haven't checked in for a couple of days and to say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement!

I tried to skim read as much as I could. I have to say the cat story had me laughing!! Funny stuff!!

Congrats to all who have had good races and training!

I have to say my training is coming along great. I can feel my fitness AND strength getting better every week! This week is swim focused and I've made a point to keep my rest times as short as possible and I've surprised myself how well it's gone. Also, today at masters practice we did a 50 free time trial and I managed 27 seconds. I'm ecstatic with that as I had already swam 1800 and we didn't get a diving start!

I hope everyone has a great day!
2015-02-04 7:38 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Jet Black

Holy smokes y'all are an active group! I haven't checked in for a couple of days and to say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement!

I tried to skim read as much as I could. I have to say the cat story had me laughing!! Funny stuff!!

Congrats to all who have had good races and training!

I have to say my training is coming along great. I can feel my fitness AND strength getting better every week! This week is swim focused and I've made a point to keep my rest times as short as possible and I've surprised myself how well it's gone. Also, today at masters practice we did a 50 free time trial and I managed 27 seconds. I'm ecstatic with that as I had already swam 1800 and we didn't get a diving start!

I hope everyone has a great day!
Great job!

But if I'm honest I want to call you some not nice names because you can swim so damn fast! I did 12 x 50m the other day and was happy cause I came in at basically 55 seconds for each one. I was happy with that cause a few weeks ago it would have been 1:05. Now I just realise how badly I really do suck

2015-02-04 7:44 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Jet Black Holy smokes y'all are an active group! I haven't checked in for a couple of days and to say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement! I tried to skim read as much as I could. I have to say the cat story had me laughing!! Funny stuff!! Congrats to all who have had good races and training! I have to say my training is coming along great. I can feel my fitness AND strength getting better every week! This week is swim focused and I've made a point to keep my rest times as short as possible and I've surprised myself how well it's gone. Also, today at masters practice we did a 50 free time trial and I managed 27 seconds. I'm ecstatic with that as I had already swam 1800 and we didn't get a diving start! I hope everyone has a great day!
Great job! But if I'm honest I want to call you some not nice names because you can swim so damn fast! I did 12 x 50m the other day and was happy cause I came in at basically 55 seconds for each one. I was happy with that cause a few weeks ago it would have been 1:05. Now I just realise how badly I really do suck

A) you don't suck.

B) the more you hate Sheila, the less you think you will suck, and the better you'll get. You'll probably also hate yourself in the process and if you manage to hate me at all too that's a real bonus.

2015-02-04 7:48 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by Jet Black Holy smokes y'all are an active group! I haven't checked in for a couple of days and to say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement! I tried to skim read as much as I could. I have to say the cat story had me laughing!! Funny stuff!! Congrats to all who have had good races and training! I have to say my training is coming along great. I can feel my fitness AND strength getting better every week! This week is swim focused and I've made a point to keep my rest times as short as possible and I've surprised myself how well it's gone. Also, today at masters practice we did a 50 free time trial and I managed 27 seconds. I'm ecstatic with that as I had already swam 1800 and we didn't get a diving start! I hope everyone has a great day!

Welcome back, Jetson!

Very, very sweet. Keep up the good work.

2015-02-04 8:28 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Thanks y'all!! I'm feeling very good about the swim at this point.

Now I need to get my bike and run times on the same level!
2015-02-04 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations on you CA adventure. 

I know all about exercising in a sling.  This to shall pass.

I've been following all on, uh, social media (haha!) and thinking of you and E.  Lovely photos of her lately!

Take care!

2015-02-04 9:08 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I don't understand this time. Does.Not.Compute. -- at least not with this adult onset swimmer ;-

Good work!

2015-02-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by popsracer

I have the Believe Training Journal (which by the way, a handwritten log is AMAZING) and along with space for simply logging your workouts there is a lot of other content. Sprinkled through the weeks are little thought provoking quotes and questions.

Anyway, one of them said something along the lines of, "What would it feel like to achieve your goal."

I'll share my response but I'd like to hear what you all have to say! 

The first word that pops into my head is "fleeting".  I've set out and attained a lot of goals.  No matter how big the goal the exhilaration lasts briefly and I start thinking about the next goal.  I guess for me it demonstrates that I enjoy the journey over the destination.  Not that I do not revel in the destination I just love the things that happen along the way. 

I was going to write the very same thing.  My ultimate goal in whatever hobby I take is open ended: to be the be best I can be at said hobby.  I think it was Nick Saban that said "You're either hungry, or you're satisfied.  You can't be both."  I'm not a huge Alabama fan, but that quote resonated heavily with me.  I do respect his approach in that even if he wins a National Championship, the next day he's looking at winning another one.  That's what it takes to be competitive in today's world.  Since I love competition, I try my best to employ that thought process.

2015-02-04 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Great job! But if I'm honest I want to call you some not nice names because you can swim so damn fast! I did 12 x 50m the other day and was happy cause I came in at basically 55 seconds for each one. I was happy with that cause a few weeks ago it would have been 1:05. Now I just realise how badly I really do suck

A ten second improvement in a couple of weeks is huge progress.  I think that is great.  Keep up the good work.

2015-02-04 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Have you guys seen this?

She, like our very own Salty, is a naked runner.

A dirty naked runner--this is TRAIL time.

http://www.runnersworld.com/trail-racing/nicole-studer-sets-womens-100-mile-trail-record?adbid=562641736220962816&adbpl=tw&adbpr=14882900&cid=social39839157

Saw that article on FB. Absolutely incredible!

2015-02-04 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

A few thoughts after reading through again: 

Sean - You're rocking the swim, that is really good work. Keep it up!

Stacey - I hope that the weather is cooperating with you guys. Those firefighters sure have it rough.

MattTx - Congrats on the race signup. No pressure, but we're expecting big things from you!

TJ - Those were some great pics, really nice stuff.

Mike - How goes the FTP test????

Adrienne - I hope the poison rash itching begins to subside soon. To answer your question, I have always tried to have a goal when running/racing and such, but the over riding goal has been improvement. I guess the race type goals make me happy to hit them or unhappy when I fail, but that is kind of a fleeting thing, since that overall goal is kind of open ended...

I hope everyone is doing well, take care of yourselves and those around you. And smile. The world can always use more smiles.  

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55508 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.