BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2014-01-01 6:28 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Happy Monday and Almost New Year!
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Originally posted by lutzman

Originally posted by Kris67

I am looking forward to losing 10 pounds and eating better. When does the challenge begin?

Kristen:

James is the master of the contest. We talked about getting it going after the 1st of the year, so maybe we can fire it up starting next week.

James, your call?

Meantime, it's a good opportunity to eat all leftover Christmas treats prior to the contest.

Steve

I was just about to PM you Steve.

Contest will begin Sunday night. I was thinking we could have it run till Memorial Day.

Everyone needs to let me know that they want to take part in the contest by replying "I'm In"

(+ - 10) points for every pound lost or gained

(+ 5) points for not gaining weight

(+ 1) point for every 30 minutes working out

Enjoy tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

HAPPY NEW YEARS GRAY GUYS AND GALS!!!
Oh, and I'm in...

2014-01-01 6:47 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I'm in!

Happy New Year everyone.

2014-01-01 7:00 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by hoffsquared

I basically get tired.  Not necessarily out of breath but tired enough that my form just falls apart.  Breastroke is like resting for me.  After a minute or so, I'm good for another 20-30 good freestyle strokes.  Then I get tired again.

Hi Melanie,

Your times indicate that you probably have OK technique but if you are fatigued to the point that your technique suffers after only 20-30 strokes your swim fitness is not very well developed.  20-30 strokes is probably not even 50 yards which isn't very far and certainly shouldn't be far enough to effect your technique - even at a full sprint (10 RPE).  You mentioned that it is difficult to do swim sessions longer than 30-35 minutes.  Why?  Next, when you do a swim workout, what are you doing?  How many yards, etc.?

It's highly likely my swim fitness is not what it should be.  

The interesting thing is that I have no trouble swimming 30 minutes freestyle - in the pool for workout sessions.  I can do 1,500 TT's with no problem as far as completing them in all freestyle.  But I cannot do this during a race yet. 

I swim over my lunch break 2-3 times/week so getting in much more than 35 minutes is tough unless I move my swim to the morning or after work or extend the work day and can find a big block of time during the day.  I've tried before work morning swims 3 x week but these left me falling asleep before 8:00pm so that didn't last long.

I generally try to get in 1,500 yards or so once I get back into the groove of swimming.  Sometimes I'll put in 2,000.  I probably just need to bite the bullet and do one morning swim a week.

I like Sara McLarty's masters swim site so I try to follow the one with the least yardage (workout C).

Today I plan on doing the postal swim that Stu mentioned.  It will give me a good benchmark to see progress over the next two months.

2014-01-01 7:22 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED
Hi James,

You know I'm in! All hail the coveted Black Dog!

Stu
2014-01-01 7:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia

Originally posted by k9car363

I basically get tired.  Not necessarily out of breath but tired enough that my form just falls apart.  Breastroke is like resting for me.  After a minute or so, I'm good for another 20-30 good freestyle strokes.  Then I get tired again.

Hi Melanie,

Your times indicate that you probably have OK technique but if you are fatigued to the point that your technique suffers after only 20-30 strokes your swim fitness is not very well developed.  20-30 strokes is probably not even 50 yards which isn't very far and certainly shouldn't be far enough to effect your technique - even at a full sprint (10 RPE).  You mentioned that it is difficult to do swim sessions longer than 30-35 minutes.  Why?  Next, when you do a swim workout, what are you doing?  How many yards, etc.?

The interesting thing is that I have no trouble swimming 30 minutes freestyle - in the pool for workout sessions.  I can do 1,500 TT's with no problem as far as completing them in all freestyle.  But I cannot do this during a race yet. 

I swim over my lunch break 2-3 times/week so getting in much more than 35 minutes is tough unless I move my swim to the morning or after work or extend the work day and can find a big block of time during the day.  I've tried before work morning swims 3 x week but these left me falling asleep before 8:00pm so that didn't last long.

I generally try to get in 1,500 yards or so once I get back into the groove of swimming.  Sometimes I'll put in 2,000.  I probably just need to bite the bullet and do one morning swim a week.

I like Sara McLarty's masters swim site so I try to follow the one with the least yardage (workout C).

Today I plan on doing the postal swim that Stu mentioned.  It will give me a good benchmark to see progress over the next two months.

I remember from our previous mentor group that time was always a constraint for you. And I'd say given that, 3 hard lunch workouts may be the best you can do with your schedule. One thought might be trying to get one long workout (one like the postal time trial another mainly 100 repeats) once every two weeks as a compromise. I expect you'll get in somewhere around 3500 yards in an hour - if you did that twice / month, adding that workout to your current regime would double your swimming distance over the year and add a much needed swim endurance workout to your mix. Also, I would say that your other disciplines (in the race) would benefit from this as well if you're fatigued.

Any chance you spike your heart rate in the race? Do you get a good warm-up in before the swim? Acclimate yourself to the water temps? Do you swim with a wet suit in the race?

Stu

Edited by juneapple 2014-01-01 8:49 PM
2014-01-01 7:32 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JREDFLY
Originally posted by Kris67 I am looking forward to losing 10 pounds and eating better. When does the challenge begin?
Kristen: James is the master of the contest. We talked about getting it going after the 1st of the year, so maybe we can fire it up starting next week. James, your call? Meantime, it's a good opportunity to eat all leftover Christmas treats prior to the contest. Steve
I was just about to PM you Steve. Contest will begin Sunday night. I was thinking we could have it run till Memorial Day. Everyone needs to let me know that they want to take part in the contest by replying "I'm In" (+ - 10) points for every pound lost or gained (+ 5) points for not gaining weight (+ 1) point for every 30 minutes working out Enjoy tomorrow and the rest of the week. Happy New Year Everyone!!!

I

Am

IN!!!

2014-01-01 8:43 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-01 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4915093

Master
East Side of the Bay
Happy New Year All!
I'm in for the Black Dog Mug contest.
2014-01-01 9:04 AM

I'm in.
2014-01-01 9:20 AM
in reply to: KOM

New user
Hingham, MA
Did a New Years polar plunge this AM. Windchill was 10F.

Great way to start the New Year!. Bouy reading listed below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conditions at BHBM3 Bouy as of
(9:48 am EST)

Air Temperature (ATMP): 24.3 °F
Water Temperature (WTMP): 36.7 °F
Water Level
2014-01-01 9:56 AM

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Got a good 5 mile run  in today.  Time to un-decorate so we can hit the Boot Camp class this afternoon!

2014-01-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

James - I'm in please.

Man this blog moves fast! Apparently similar to the speedy athletes in this group! I'm in awe of everyone's accomplishments and goals for improvement this year. I've been working on my goals for triathlon to report to the group and trying to follow the rules of being specific, measurable, attainable, etc. I finally realized that triathlon is actually what is going to help me accomplish non-triathlon goals for the year and if I am simply able to participate it will be a win. My main goal for 2014 is to HEAL, both mentally and physically. I haven't dealt with loss of loved ones or a pesky, elusive, yet to be diagnosed neuro illness in a constructive way. So... this year I plan to do what is necessary to participate and heal. I really want to complete an olympic tri in June and I've signed up for a half marathon in November. If I'm DFL or limping in on one leg I'm going to count it as a win!

Townsley--nothing wrong with your goal! Getting healthy...and then staying healthy is the foundation to EVERYTHING. Happy training in 2014. My only recommendation is take it slow. You've got nearly six months of time to train with a goal of crossing the finish line with your head held high. A conservative program that is focused on simultaneously building your fitness while promoting good health should get you there in style!

Steve
2014-01-01 10:21 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

Expert
Missouri

James - I'm in please! 

Working on goals and race schedule for 2014 today.  I know there won't be many races but I need to decide which ones I want to do so I can get a general idea of my training schedule for the year.  I'm doing a run focus right now trying to get ready for a possible 9 miler on February 2nd.  I was talking with a couple of people yesterday about the race - they did it last year - and they said it was a tough race.  Of course, there was also 10" of snow on the ground last year so that might have had something to do with it. 

I went for a really nice 5 mile trail run yesterday - met up with some people who do a run there every NYE.  Seemed like a good way to end the year. 
Janet

2014-01-01 11:36 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

Expert
Falls Church

Good afternoon everyone!  Hope the new year is treating you well.  It sounds as if everyone is thinking about goals for this training season.  I find that I'm a bit more dedicated if I've paid that registration fee!  So I've paid for two races so far.  One in May and one in September.

I acted on a few suggestions this morning and went for a long (for me) swim.

Postal swim per Stu's suggestion. Straight swim for 60 minutes. 1st 30 minutes able to do all freestyle. Then 50 breast, 150 free, repeat 'till end. Tried to remember to reach for the wall and brush my hip per Scott's instruction. I noticed that 'reaching for the wall' made me relax and regroup my stroke. 

Splits per 200 

3:50 
3:56 
3:57 
3:59 
4:01 
4:19 
4:13 
4:11 
5:12 (miss count?
4:12 

This swim is in a tiny basement gym pool.  Three lanes.  25 yards.  The best part is that the lane lines are just ropes with a few tiny buoys.  So if there is one other person swimming, it almost feels like open water.  I should swim in this pool more often.  

2014-01-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington

Splits per 200 

Nice!

2014-01-01 1:14 PM

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JREDFLY Did a New Years polar plunge this AM. Windchill was 10F. Great way to start the New Year!. Bouy reading listed below: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Conditions at BHBM3 Bouy as of (9:48 am EST) Air Temperature (ATMP): 24.3 °F Water Temperature (WTMP): 36.7 °F Water Level

I did a polar plunge today as well. But by comparison, mine was a semi tropical plunge. Water temp 42 air temp 49. It was still cold though. I hurt my foot going in so had to stand for a bit to be able to move, then get help slowly wading out. The goal was in and out, I did not make that.

2014-01-01 1:14 PM
in reply to: lutzman

Champion
Bronze member

Splits per 200 

Nice!

x2

2014-01-01 3:33 PM

Regular
Sorry if anyone feels ignored by me. I just speed read three pages of our posts while sitting in mcdonalds( no internet at home)

A cold or something keeps trying to get me..I have cut WAYYY back on w/o's...but i am still s/r
Running is so easy to me.....

So CONTEST...runs till MAY ? whoa.....long time...but I AM ALL IN.

Scott, as far as the total immersion swimming ....maybe for someone who is a beginner as an adult..like me and DAVE....that is not a bad place to start...

I may not possess the basic balance necessary to carry out correct freestyle. Something you prolly don't even remember learning cuz you were so young.
I have spent past three years trying to place "catch up" to the ex-collegiate swimmers and frankly.........

• ..I am going back to square one...drills....for a little while. I am having heck of a time getting the rotation part down....I blame it on lack of balance in the water.

• Read "CHI RUNNING" this week. Like it. He had suggestion for dealing with the over pronated foot..I have always had but it hasn't SEEMED to bother me.
    Scott have you made progress on the foot pronation??
    2014-01-01 3:45 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
    Happy New Year everyone,

Started the new year off with a 12:03am registration for my first Sprint in Ridgefield, Ct. It sells out in less than a day, so I paid my fee and I'm in.

Now the fun starts.

Dave

2014-01-01 5:09 PM

Regular
    Newport News
    I'm in too. Happy new year to you all.
    2014-01-01 6:14 PM
    in reply to: 0

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

It's said that the first step towards fixing a problem is recognizing what the problem is so good job, we have likely figured out a big part of what is happening.

Next, at this point, don't worry too much about not being able to repeat the pool swim in a race, for a couple reasons.  I rarely have heard of an Olympic distance swim being held in a pool so your race is most likely in open water.  I say all the time, "The rules change when you get in to open water."  You can expect to be several seconds per 100 slower in open water plus you will be more fatigued and use more energy in open water than in a pool - even wearing a wetsuit.  We can look at those issues down the road a couple months.  Next thing, during a race you are probably pushing yourself a little bit harder than during a workout.  As your swim fitness improves, we can hopefully get you to where you have a very accurate internal pace clock.  Someone can say to you, give me a 100 at 1:54 or give me a 100 at 2:00 and you can hit the number right on.  That will come with training.  The goal is to get to where you can plan out your race swim pace BEFORE you get in the water.  Then you follow the plan in the water during the race.  You will know you can do it because of the training and you won't have beat yourself up early in the race and have nothing left in the tank later in the race.

So now we get down to the meat of the problem.  Simply stated, you are not putting in enough training yards for your chosen race distance.  As a VERY general rule of thumb for a triathlete (remember we are training for a triathlon, not a swimming event), to build proper endurance you want to be training 1.5-2 times the swim segment of your race distance 3-4 times per week.  Then, if you want to get fast, you need to double that (for the record, my definition of 'fast' in this context is less than 1:15/100 yards which would equal about a 20:20 Olympic swim or a 52:30 Ironman swim).  So, the translation - you are training for an Olympic triathlon where the swim is approximately one mile (actually 0.93 miles) = 1,500 meters = 1,650 yards.  That means you should be striving for 2,475 - 3,300 yards three times, preferably 4 times a week (don't know if you are training in a 25 yard or 50 meter pool but short course pools are more common so I did the math for yards).  There are a number of coaches that would have you break the total yards per week into a long, medium and short swim.  I am not so sure I agree with that line of thinking.  I am an advocate of not doing the same workout every time you are in the water.  I think changing up the workouts pretty much accomplishes the same thing as having the long, medium, and short plans.  More about workout plans after looking at your times.

Good afternoon everyone! Hope the new year is treating you well. It sounds as if everyone is thinking about goals for this training season. I find that I'm a bit more dedicated if I've paid that registration fee! So I've paid for two races so far. One in May and one in September.

I acted on a few suggestions this morning and went for a long (for me) swim.

Postal swim per Stu's suggestion. Straight swim for 60 minutes. 1st 30 minutes able to do all freestyle. Then 50 breast, 150 free, repeat 'till end. Tried to remember to reach for the wall and brush my hip per Scott's instruction. I noticed that 'reaching for the wall' made me relax and regroup my stroke.

Splits per 200

5:12 (miss count?)

This swim is in a tiny basement gym pool. Three lanes. 25 yards. The best part is that the lane lines are just ropes with a few tiny buoys. So if there is one other person swimming, it almost feels like open water. I should swim in this pool more often.

Before I comment on your times, a couple observations.  First, now that you have proven to yourself that you can indeed swim a mile without stopping, you don't need to do that again until your next race.  On several occasions, I have had people come up to me and say something like, "My workout is an easy 200 warm-up then 4 x 1,000."  My response is always the same - a smile and a question, "WHY?!?"  If you take nothing else away from this post, please remember this, you DO NOT need to be doing ridiculous length repetitions - EVER!

Next, you said, "I noticed that 'reaching for the wall' made me relax and regroup my stroke."  What was likely actually happening is that by 'reaching for the wall' you were lengthening your stroke and increasing your body roll, which brought the back muscles more into play during your stroke making your stroke more efficient.  As a result, that 'relaxed' felling you felt was likely because the workload had been spread over more muscles, thereby reducing the work on the shoulders and allowing the shoulder to 'relax.'

When I looked at your splits, I really only looked at the first 8 splits (1,600 yards).  Beyond that, the times weren't very instructive except to say you can do the distance. Over the 1,600 you averaged 2:03/100 yards.  To put that into perspective, 2:00/100 is pretty much middle of the pack across ALL triathletes, as you move up into the older age groups, 2:00/100 moves closer to FOP.

Now, what can we draw from your splits?  You can actually see what is happening by the third split.  Your stroke technique is breaking down almost immediately (6 second drop off between 1st and 2nd splits), then drops consistently after that indicating increasing fatigue, then finally levels off at what I call your "basic swim fitness level," (that's a 'Scott term' so don't bother trying to look it up.  You can take anybody, have them swim long enough and you will eventually get to the split they can repeat over a very long time.  For an endurance swimmer, I like to know what that split time is.  By the way, that is the split time we really want to improve upon).  What your splits clearly indicate is that there is room for improvement in swim fitness and stroke technique (of course that is true for all of us).

I say stroke technique because your split times should not be dropping off so rapidly. That indicates your technique is breaking down almost immediately which indicates your stroke is likely not as efficient as it could be. We have already pretty well beaten the swim fitness horse to death so don’t need to repeat that.

If I were your swim coach, here is what I would recommend –

For the next 2-4 weeks, 3 workouts per week, 900 yards per workout. The ONE AND ONLY GOAL of these workouts is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT STROKE TECHNIQUE. Something along the lines of 200 yard EASY warm-up, maybe 2 x 100 with 1:00 rest between repeats. Then 10 x 50 with 1:00 rest between intervals - during the rest periods, visualize perfect technique and remind yourself of various tips, reach for the wall, brush your hip with your thumb, high elbow recovery, drag fingertips across water during recovery, etc. Follow that with a 200 EASY cool-down. It is VERY important to understand, the point of this is not to ‘workout’ per se. The goal is to commit PERFECT stroke technique to muscle memory. If you fatigue to the point that your stroke breaks down, get out of the water, go home, and try again tomorrow. I am absolutely serious when I say that. You are doing yourself a disservice if you continue to swim with less than perfect technique. The whole point of this period is to develop technique so if it takes you 5 minutes to complete a 50 (OK, I am kidding but you get my point) that is OK. Don’t worry about pace, worry about technique. The real goal of this phase is to develop your technique to the point that it is ‘stored' in muscle memory so when technique breaks down due to fatigue, it breaks down to perfect technique.

Next, I would have you do several weeks of “Extensive Endurance Training,” by which I mean sets of repetitions that, in total, are longer than your planned swim race distance at a steady, comfortable pace with 1:00 rest between intervals. You want the rest period to be sufficiently long that your HR can return to what I term the “base heart rate.” You can determine your base heart rate by taking your pulse at the end of an EASY warm-up. Over time, you will notice your HR returning to the base rate much more rapidly, an indication that your endurance is improving. Most HR monitors don’t work underwater so learning to take your carotid pulse is a handy skill to have. In this phase, switch things up, maybe alternate between [200 easy warm-up, then 10 x 200 with 1:00 rest, followed by 200 cool-down – 2,400 total yards], and then next time maybe [200 easy warm-up, then 10 x 100 with 1:00 rest, followed by easy 200 swim, followed by another 10 x 100 with 1:00 rest, then 200 easy cool-down – 2,600 total yards]. If need be, you can start with less repetitions and build to more reps as your fitness improves. During this phase, the primary focus is building endurance and stroke technique. Note there is not a repetition time, rather a rest time. The same thing applies here, if you fatigue to the point that your technique begins to break down, take a longer rest period. If that does not restore your technique, get out of the water, go home, and try again tomorrow.

After that phase, ‘call me’ and we will talk some more.

Finally, since time appears to be a bit of a concern. The really nice thing about swim workouts is that you can, to a point, break them up. The workouts above shouldn’t take more than 45 minutes, but by the time you shower and get dressed you’re easily up to an hour. If need be, you can break the workout into two workouts and do one in the morning and one at lunch, etc. You will probably get in a few more yards that way assuming you warm-up and cool-down during each workout.

I know there is a lot here. I was watching the Red Wings get beat and then Michigan not playing so well in the Rose Bowl, so writing this kept me from breaking the TV!

Good luck, hope it helps.

Edited by k9car363 2014-01-01 6:52 PM

2014-01-01 6:33 PM
    in reply to: lutzman

Columbia, Missouri
    I am in...
    2014-01-01 7:06 PM
    in reply to: ff1diver

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member
    Subject: The Same or Different?

Hey Steve,

I have a question.  I think, actually I am pretty sure, I know the answer but thought I would ask just to be sure.

For each of the next several weeks, I am going to have one day each week that is likely going to be the "day from hell," meaning it is a pretty full day.  It happens to fall on a medium bike day.  I can either get on the bike before sun-up, or after sun-down or I can split the ride up and do it in segments over the course of the day.

So my question - All other things being equal (HR, RPE, etc.) Is a 90 minute ride the same as 2 x 45 minute rides or 3 x 30 minute rides?

2014-01-01 7:59 PM
    in reply to: DJP_19

Expert
    Illinois
    Originally posted by DJP_19

Happy New Year everyone,

Started the new year off with a 12:03am registration for my first Sprint in Ridgefield, Ct. It sells out in less than a day, so I paid my fee and I'm in.

Now the fun starts.

Dave

Congratulations on getting in!
    2014-01-01 8:37 PM
    in reply to: abake

Connecticut
    Subject: Happy New Year
    Happy New Year to All,

Still working on plans/goals for 2014. Have been sidelined from running due to knee pain. Have been to the Ortho and now scheduled for an MRI on the 6th. Had meniscus surgery in Feb 2012 and now experiencing the same symtoms. Hoping for the best as I really do not want to have the surgery again. I will keep my fingers crossed and hopefully it is something different.

In the meantime I have been focusing on the swim to stay off the legs and work on my weakest discipline ( not that I have a strong one

Scott- I am really enjoying your suggestions regarding working on "form and technique" and will try to implement some of this in to my workouts. I recently joined the local YMCA and hope to get more swimming in then I did last year.

Will adjust my goals as soon as I have a clearer picture of the knee situation.

Again, Happy New Year to all the Grays!

Dave
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum (all levels welcome)--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
    Views: 18764 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : October 24, 2012
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 3
    I didn’t used to like to run slow. You begin to recalibrate your needs and wants and if-only you could jog an easy two miles, three times per week. Running is a gift.

date : March 10, 2011
    author : Scott Tinley
    comments : 1
    Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
    date : December 4, 2007
    author : EndurancePlanet
    comments : 0
    She's back. We were able to interview Deanna Babcock, a triathlete who galvanized the forums over several months with her story of a tragic accident and subsequent recovery.

date : October 4, 2007
    author : R_Laberje
    comments : 14
    Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
    date : February 8, 2007
    author : MegL
    comments : 25
    No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.

date : May 30, 2005
    author : pjsuperhawk
    Maintaining a positive attitude and a sense of priority will be my keys to success. Before summer fades into fall, I will be a Triathlete and eager to race again.
    date : October 3, 2004
    author : scuba-punk
    He looked at us and flat out told us that he wouldn't accept any of us as his students at a technical diving level with the poor level of physical fitness we had.

date : August 31, 2004
    author : malvey
    Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.