Originally posted by axteraa

We're live!

Welcome back Rusty.  

Hopefully more will join now

2015-01-13 12:52 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Subject: RE: SBR "U"

Much more range of movement in my elbow and knee as the swelling has gone down.  Scrapes on my palms no longer bother me while gripping things, so I'm pretty much good to go now.  But likely still wait till at least Thursday when my doctor is scheduled to look at the stitches just to make sure.  

2015-01-13 1:13 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Good to hear Jason.  Were you wearing gloves and still got scrapes on your palms?

2015-01-13 2:28 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Great news Jason. 

On another note, I'm about to do a trainer workout and totally forgot that I left my bike in the garage overnight.  It got down to minus 17 here last night so I wonder if my PT is going to have enough time to warm up and give accurate power readings.   On yet another note...I gave up my lingering hopes of a reprieve on the home front about IMMT registration and gave in and just registered for CDA.  Never felt that under-whelmed for signing up for an event before.  And now the clock is ticking....

2015-01-13 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
See being young does have it privileges. I would still be in the ER.......

Glad to here Jason now go climb Tantalus.......

2015-01-13 2:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by Birkierunner

Great news Jason. 

On another note, I'm about to do a trainer workout and totally forgot that I left my bike in the garage overnight.  It got down to minus 17 here last night so I wonder if my PT is going to have enough time to warm up and give accurate power readings.   On yet another note...I gave up my lingering hopes of a reprieve on the home front about IMMT registration and gave in and just registered for CDA.  Never felt that under-whelmed for signing up for an event before.  And now the clock is ticking....

Jim Thanks for clod testing the PT. Now I'll have peace of mind if I ever leave mine out side. Sorry to here we are not race at IMMT.
[color=red] Like you had a chance anyways....... [/color]

Edited by BrotherTri 2015-01-13 2:39 PM

2015-01-13 2:39 PM
in reply to: BrotherTri

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by BrotherTri

Great news Jason. 

Jim Thanks for clod testing the PT. Now I'll have peace of mind if I ever leave mine out side. Sorry to here we are not race at IMMT. [color=red]Like you had a chance anyways.......[/color]

WTC transfer policy..... 

2015-01-13 2:41 PM
in reply to: Birkierunner

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Great news Jason. 

Jim Thanks for clod testing the PT. Now I'll have peace of mind if I ever leave mine out side. Sorry to here we are not race at IMMT. [color=red]Like you had a chance anyways.......[/color]

WTC transfer policy..... 

But.......I booked the hotel already.
2015-01-13 3:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by BrotherTri See being young does have it privileges. I would still be in the ER....... Glad to here Jason now go climb Tantalus.......

Yup...I was supposed to do another one of the training series this past Sunday, but won't miss it this Sunday.

Arend...no gloves.  I always wear gloves for training for this exact reason, but I don't have enough pairs for commuting...I may change that...or at least get a couple more pairs that I can wash every few days.  I usually get rather sweaty palms, so more than one use between washes is kind of nasty.

This was actually my very first trip to the ER since I was maybe 6 years old.  Right after I crashed, I dragged my bike to the side and was just trying to gather myself.  I knew nothing was broken and that I had a pretty bad cut, but had no idea how bad it was until the fireman arrived and cut open my sleeve (luckily I was wearing a long sleeve that day).  Until that moment, I was of the mind that I would just get my to work where there is plenty of first aid, and I would just tough it out.  Then it was like an "oh $h!t" where I realized I do need to go to the hospital.

2015-01-13 3:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Great news Jason. 

WTC transfer policy..... 

Chris has a hotel booked for a race he hasn't signed up for yet (or have you pulled the trigger, Chris?)....I'm sure you can still cancel!

2015-01-13 4:17 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Originally posted by ligersandtions

Great news Jason. 

WTC transfer policy..... 

Chris has a hotel booked for a race he hasn't signed up for yet (or have you pulled the trigger, Chris?)....I'm sure you can still cancel!

Nope, gonna ride that fence for a few months.  Mine is fully refundable so it'll be like a tax refund if I cancel  

2015-01-13 4:20 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by ChrisM

Nope, gonna ride that fence for a few months.  Mine is fully refundable so it'll be like a tax refund if I cancel  

Did you pay the hotel a rate in Canadian Dollars?  Cuz our dollar has tanked against the USD since then....

Jason - wash gloves.....  what?    I hardly wear them so maybe I never notice the funk...  I should be wearing them all the time though.

2015-01-13 5:11 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by ChrisM

Did you pay the hotel a rate in Canadian Dollars?  Cuz our dollar has tanked against the USD since then....

Jason - wash gloves.....  what?    I hardly wear them so maybe I never notice the funk...  I should be wearing them all the time though.

No.  US.   But if the tanking keeps up maybe I'll renegotiate  

And I don't ride without gloves unless racing

2015-01-14 5:08 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by marcag

We're live!

Welcome back Rusty.  

ha-ha, yesterday was my first day back at work and in meetings all day. Perfect timing as my email blew up with SBRU emails all day!

2015-01-14 5:31 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TankBoy

We're live!

Welcome back Rusty.  

ha-ha, yesterday was my first day back at work and in meetings all day. Perfect timing as my email blew up with SBRU emails all day!

On your question of running in cold temperature

I track my running efficiency (kind of unscientific) but basically my pace/hr relationship.
What I see is as I am training consistently, my efficiency improves. Very clear in my my numbers

Right now, I am in the middle of a pretty good running streak. Yesterday morning I ran and it was -26F. I only wore a cap and actually froze one ear. Very painful night last night as I would turn my head on the frost bitten ear and wake up in pain. Anyways....

I recorded one of the best "running economies" during the run. Maybe my heart was just frozen as well.

But for me, running in the cold, even at extremes is better than in heat.
2015-01-14 5:39 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Originally posted by TankBoy

We're live!

Welcome back Rusty.  

Just thought you might need another email.

I had dinner with Fred this past weekend. His daughters had a swim meet at a school close to us. He is doing good. We did not talk about BT at all. A little about power and tri's but mainly just had fun.

2015-01-14 5:42 AM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by fisherman76Anyone have a good tip for not having a runny nose the day after a long pool session? I can't seem to get enough chlorine off me to not trigger an allergic reaction, no matter what I do. I've tried nose plugs, but it doesn't seem to be an issue of not getting pool water up my nose, it's an issue getting the stuff off of me.

Dave, according to both the dermatologist and ENT technically it is not an allergy - it is a "sensitivity." I get a little itchiness sometimes depending on the pool (some are worse than others) and I haven't found any product that works better than another for washing off - just the better I wash the better it is. Aittle lotion does seem to help me afterward. For the sneezing/runny nose/congestion, I have tried all sorts of things from nose plugs, irrigation before and after, natural remedies, etc. nothing worked for me, so I just resigned myself to popping an OTC antihistamine (I use dissolvable Zyrtec simply because it is easy) after my swims and calling it a day. Works like a charm. Interestingly I have 3 pools in which I swim regularly, two cause the problem, one does not. In the summer I swim open water a fair amount. One of the lakes I swim in so causes my sinus issues, but most others don't. So I don't use the antihistamine all the time - just in places where I already know it is a problem. Fortunately the pool in which I swim most frequently causes the least number of issues.

2015-01-14 5:57 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Ouch Marc, hope your ear doesn't fall off! ?? That is freakin' cold. I have found that easy running is, well, easier in the cold, but I do run better when it is warmer - I think it has a lot to do with clothing (or lack thereof) as someone else pointed out.
2015-01-14 7:11 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I turned 40 today.  Shane gave me a birthday swim set of 40 x 50 as 8 x (50 fly, 50 back, 50 breast, 50 free, 50 kick).  That was fun, haven't done that much non free in quite a while!  

2015-01-14 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
happy birthday!!
2015-01-14 7:46 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Welcome to the over 40 club Arend - although I guess you raced that AG last year anyway.  Happy Birthday!

2015-01-14 7:47 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

No, 35-39 last year!  This will be the first time I do any triathlon outside of that AG

2015-01-14 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

On your question of running in cold temperature I track my running efficiency (kind of unscientific) but basically my pace/hr relationship. What I see is as I am training consistently, my efficiency improves. Very clear in my my numbers Right now, I am in the middle of a pretty good running streak. Yesterday morning I ran and it was -26F. I only wore a cap and actually froze one ear. Very painful night last night as I would turn my head on the frost bitten ear and wake up in pain. Anyways.... I recorded one of the best "running economies" during the run. Maybe my heart was just frozen as well. But for me, running in the cold, even at extremes is better than in heat.

Okay, we all know I'm a baby about the cold, but that kind of temperature is insane!!

We've had some cool weather here (30's and 40's, so yeah, nowhere near -26F) and I find that since we don't get that kind of weather often, I have no idea what to wear.  I tend to overdress, sweat, and then freeze....or like yesterday, underdress and freeze the entire time. 

After the race this weekend, I'd like to put in an order for some warmer weather.  I could tolerate what Jason has

2015-01-14 8:00 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Happy Birthday, Arend! That sounds like the PERFECT workout to really get your first bout of shoulder tendinosis started off with a bang! :^)
2015-01-14 8:04 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Nah, Nicole, it's not just you - I also find that temp range tough to dress for as well, and I have all kinds of clothes. I much prefer low-to-mid 50s or low-to mid 30s to temps in the middle when both running and cycling. I tend to over or underdress in the temps between those ranges as well.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR "U" Rss Feed  

of 97

RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : January 9, 2013
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
Jarrod Shoemaker, 2012 US Elite National Champion, discusses the importance of recovery for injury prevention.
date : December 12, 2004
author : Team BT
Ultraman champion, Shanna Armstrong, to ride across USA for science.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Ron
Everything you want to know (and then some).