BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-08-01 1:06 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by awm007

I need to start looking at a decent HIM training plan. I will not be able to afford a coach so... any good ideas for free or cheap training plans?

I'm far too cheap for a coach. I've only tried one plan so I can't really speak to this as well as others can, but I've used the plans in the book "IronFit Secrets for Half Iron-Distance Triathlon Success" by Don and Melanie Fink. The book is a good read and the plans are easy to follow with a consistent pattern. They train by time in those plans so you know how to budget your week. There are only 2 swims per week and there is either a bike or run those same days. There are two days off a week which I really like as well. I'd recommend it. Don't confuse it with their book for full distance. PS - Interesting that the IPO for Ironman was a flop.
thanks..i purchased the ebook and wanted it in hard copy and bought the full im itraining one instead.

I have Be Iron Fit and it has the half plan as well as the full.  You may be in luck -- or else returning it.

Rumor has it over on the Be Iron Fit FB group that the half plan in the full book is different than the plans in the half book. I don't have the full book, so I can't verify. Just an FYI.

2019-08-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I need to start looking at a decent HIM training plan. I will not be able to afford a coach so... any good ideas for free or cheap training plans?

I'm far too cheap for a coach. I've only tried one plan so I can't really speak to this as well as others can, but I've used the plans in the book "IronFit Secrets for Half Iron-Distance Triathlon Success" by Don and Melanie Fink. The book is a good read and the plans are easy to follow with a consistent pattern. They train by time in those plans so you know how to budget your week. There are only 2 swims per week and there is either a bike or run those same days. There are two days off a week which I really like as well. I'd recommend it. Don't confuse it with their book for full distance. PS - Interesting that the IPO for Ironman was a flop.
thanks..i purchased the ebook and wanted it in hard copy and bought the full im itraining one instead.

I have Be Iron Fit and it has the half plan as well as the full.  You may be in luck -- or else returning it.

Rumor has it over on the Be Iron Fit FB group that the half plan in the full book is different than the plans in the half book. I don't have the full book, so I can't verify. Just an FYI.

IMHO, picking a plan AND FOLLOWING IT, is key :-).

2019-08-01 1:37 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Champion
Bronze member

no, it is true, tjere is no half plan in the copy if the book i have. It is weird to have different versions.
2019-08-01 1:50 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando

no, it is true, tjere is no half plan in the copy if the book i have. It is weird to have different versions.

i had the be ironfit book and I think it’s different bc the HIM in the full plan is really just an after thought, eg, the plan is for a full and doing a HIM is just part of the training, not the end result of the training. if that makes sense!

2019-08-01 1:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

i had the be ironfit book and I think it’s different bc the HIM in the full plan is really just an after thought, eg, the plan is for a full and doing a HIM is just part of the training, not the end result of the training. if that makes sense!

We, that's not gonna work for Robin!

2019-08-01 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

We, that's not gonna work for Robin!

there are some reasonably priced plans on training peaks.

2019-08-01 1:56 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Thanks all. Adam is the best! he sent me one of the plans in question. That and the book i have should do it. Now, I just need to dooo eeet.
2019-08-01 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by ceilidh Thanks all. Adam is the best! he sent me one of the plans in question. That and the book i have should do it. Now, I just need to dooo eeet.

Great!

2019-08-01 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by ceilidh Thanks all. Adam is the best! he sent me one of the plans in question. That and the book i have should do it. Now, I just need to dooo eeet.

Congrats Robin! I think that is the easiest/hardest part to do.

2019-08-01 8:42 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4
Robin KC - IM 70.3 Boulder on Saturday (1221)
Stacey - Truth or Consequences Trail 25k on Saturday
Janyne - Lake Logan half on Saturday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-08-02 6:43 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

Great races!  Have fun all.

Sorry I am missing meeting up with you, Janyne.

2019-08-02 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

Just be there in November!

2019-08-02 7:08 AM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

Good luck racers!!!
2019-08-02 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

Looks like some exciting races. Good luck Robin, Stacey, and Janyne!
2019-08-02 8:51 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

Just be there in November!

Deal!
2019-08-02 9:42 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

GO RACERS! Janyne I'll be thinking of you climbing those 9% grade hills this weekend!

2019-08-02 2:06 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

Go get em team!! So excited for everyone!
2019-08-02 5:45 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Good luck Janyne and Stacey! Have a blast!!

Thanks everyone!

Right now I'm stressing because the volunteer had some of us rack our bikes backwards. The water was also 75.5 today and I really don't want to do a non-wet suit swim again.
2019-08-02 8:33 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

August 3-4

Is anyone else racing?

Good Luck racers!
2019-08-02 8:33 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
I received an email from Ironman yesterday. It basically read, we saw your had a DNF Sunday, we would like to follow up with you and make sure you are ok. I called today, and it was a direct line to the person who sent the email. She asked about how I was doing, medical issues how I'm feeling and race day. It was a nice conversation. She asked if I was interested in racing again. I told her of course, that's like asking if I plan on breathing again. At the end of the conversation, she said let her know if I want to race and she will send me a code for $200.00 off of Maryland, Choo, Louisville, or Florida.
So here is where I'm at. Maria the oldest is doing a semester in Spain, this fall (I did Law school so wrong). Her schedule and ours don't match up so we could go and actually spend time with us. A close friend has invited us to his wedding, in China. It's over Thanksgiving weekend, and we really can't work it to take more than that week off. We aren't sure if we want to travel that far for that short a period of time, plus abandon our kids (poor little waifs) for the Holiday.
The discussion the weekend, do Louisville, a course I know and race I like. Do Florida, because in November Florida is nicer than Michigan. Or join the Manatee meet up and do Choo with the rest of you.

Edited by JBacarella 2019-08-02 8:54 PM
2019-08-04 10:26 AM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Champion
Bronze member
That is cool that they contacted you. Is that a new thing, or have they done that before for people that didn't finish?

2019-08-04 5:14 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by JBacarella

I received an email from Ironman yesterday. It basically read, we saw your had a DNF Sunday, we would like to follow up with you and make sure you are ok. I called today, and it was a direct line to the person who sent the email. She asked about how I was doing, medical issues how I'm feeling and race day. It was a nice conversation. She asked if I was interested in racing again. I told her of course, that's like asking if I plan on breathing again. At the end of the conversation, she said let her know if I want to race and she will send me a code for $200.00 off of Maryland, Choo, Louisville, or Florida.
So here is where I'm at. Maria the oldest is doing a semester in Spain, this fall (I did Law school so wrong). Her schedule and ours don't match up so we could go and actually spend time with us. A close friend has invited us to his wedding, in China. It's over Thanksgiving weekend, and we really can't work it to take more than that week off. We aren't sure if we want to travel that far for that short a period of time, plus abandon our kids (poor little waifs) for the Holiday.
The discussion the weekend, do Louisville, a course I know and race I like. Do Florida, because in November Florida is nicer than Michigan. Or join the Manatee meet up and do Choo with the rest of you.

decisions decisions!! I like the rolling hills of the Choo bike course. With Choo and Louisville you always gamble the swim being shortened or cancelled but you can check the current status which should be a good indication.

FL is so flat I think I wouldn't like that - but November is a good time.

What did you decide?
2019-08-04 5:48 PM
in reply to: #5261509

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'd like to put in a request to Mother Nature for no thunder/lightning storms on Sundays until late afternoon through Oct. 14.

5 hours on the trainer is not my idea of a good time.
2019-08-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella I received an email from Ironman yesterday. It basically read, we saw your had a DNF Sunday, we would like to follow up with you and make sure you are ok. I called today, and it was a direct line to the person who sent the email. She asked about how I was doing, medical issues how I'm feeling and race day. It was a nice conversation. She asked if I was interested in racing again. I told her of course, that's like asking if I plan on breathing again. At the end of the conversation, she said let her know if I want to race and she will send me a code for $200.00 off of Maryland, Choo, Louisville, or Florida. So here is where I'm at. Maria the oldest is doing a semester in Spain, this fall (I did Law school so wrong). Her schedule and ours don't match up so we could go and actually spend time with us. A close friend has invited us to his wedding, in China. It's over Thanksgiving weekend, and we really can't work it to take more than that week off. We aren't sure if we want to travel that far for that short a period of time, plus abandon our kids (poor little waifs) for the Holiday. The discussion the weekend, do Louisville, a course I know and race I like. Do Florida, because in November Florida is nicer than Michigan. Or join the Manatee meet up and do Choo with the rest of you.

The manatee meet up is for the 70.3 - unless there's another one i don't know about! Did you make a decision?

2019-08-04 6:00 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Just a quick thank you for checking in with me the last week . Mom is now in in-home hospice care, so i will be playing things by ear for some undetermined time.

Hope all the racers had good times!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107