BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 103

2014-03-12 4:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work)

Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by amd723

I may or may not have just bought myself a birthday present, much to Tony's dismay... 

bia watch

bia pic

Nice! What color? happy (early/late?) birthday!!

I got a black one with a black/pink band to go with my Betty gear... though I've also asked if I can buy more strap thingys as they're apparently easily interchangeable.  Having just ordered it yesterday and knowing it won't arrive for a few weeks I'm going through want-it-NOW-itis.  

Be glad you weren't one of the Kickstarter funders.  My friend backed them 2 years ago, yes, two years ago and just got her watch last week or the week before.  Cuh-razy!  They do look pretty cool, though, and supposedly have some very good features.  You'll have to let us know how you like yours when you get it.

Edited by melbo55 2014-03-12 4:40 PM

2014-03-12 4:42 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Darn you and your speedy running-ness all to heck!  To HECK, I say!!  

Is that anyway for a Canadian to talk? You've been in the states too long

Oh the shame!  I've been called out... as punishment I will deprive myself of maple syrup for the rest of the week...  Or maybe just today.  

Sheeeeesh, all this fighting has worn me out!  How 'bout I just come to Florida some time and we have drinks instead??  

That's a much better plan!

Rev3 Venice, Nov 7-9. This is the view from the upstairs of the bar where the race is staged:

Sunset is really nice here as well.

Oh muh garsh - that looks FABULOUS!!!  

it is, trust me!

2014-03-12 7:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by melbo55

I'm a little scared that I'm asking a clothing question to this group, but here goes:  knee warmers for biking: over the shorts (outside) or under the shorts (inside) for the overlap?  I finally wore my 'new' knee warmers since my knicker-length, non-lined bottoms bit the big one.  OK, now I'm worried about mentioning knicker-length because that has a different connotation in England and some other places, right?!  Eek.  Uh, think capri length.   FWIW I wore them under after flipping them inside, outside, inside, outside before I settled on inside of shorts.

The one time I wore knee warmers I believe I put them over the shorts.

When?!? Don't lie, we know where you live.

He he, I think it was about 55* one morning I wanted to ride. That's cold. Isn't it?

We're soooooooooo fighting!!

I'm pretty sure that it's now officially official (as opposed to almost official?  Or not quite official?  Or somewhat official?)  We're MOVING by the end of this year.  Neither one of us wants to spend another winter in... well... winter.  Making plans to go check out Austin in either April or May for a weekend.  WOOOOOOOT!!!  

unfair fight!!!!!  Yay to the move!!

Unfair??  No way, José!!  You brought this on yourself with all that oooooh 55* is sooooo cold kind of talk.  I must warn you though, being Canadian and having all things hockey-like ingrained in our DNA, the only way I know how to fight is to pull your shirt over your head and then try to land an upper-cut.  

Now I have a great mental picture. Oh and is the upper cut with your stick or without?
2014-03-12 7:15 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master

Originally posted by StaceyK

I'm a little scared that I'm asking a clothing question to this group, but here goes:  knee warmers for biking: over the shorts (outside) or under the shorts (inside) for the overlap?  I finally wore my 'new' knee warmers since my knicker-length, non-lined bottoms bit the big one.  OK, now I'm worried about mentioning knicker-length because that has a different connotation in England and some other places, right?!  Eek.  Uh, think capri length.   FWIW I wore them under after flipping them inside, outside, inside, outside before I settled on inside of shorts.

He he, I think it was about 55* one morning I wanted to ride. That's cold. Isn't it?

I'm pretty sure that it's now officially official (as opposed to almost official?  Or not quite official?  Or somewhat official?)  We're MOVING by the end of this year.  Neither one of us wants to spend another winter in... well... winter.  Making plans to go check out Austin in either April or May for a weekend.  WOOOOOOOT!!!  

Unfair??  No way, José!!  You brought this on yourself with all that oooooh 55* is sooooo cold kind of talk.  I must warn you though, being Canadian and having all things hockey-like ingrained in our DNA, the only way I know how to fight is to pull your shirt over your head and then try to land an upper-cut.  

Now I have a great mental picture. Oh and is the upper cut with your stick or without?

NO NO NO!  Canadians will never hit with their stick.  (McSorley doesn't count, he was a member of the Bruins at the time.!)

2014-03-12 7:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

I may or may not have just bought myself a birthday present, much to Tony's dismay... 

bia watch

bia pic

I got a black one with a black/pink band to go with my Betty gear... though I've also asked if I can buy more strap thingys as they're apparently easily interchangeable.  Having just ordered it yesterday and knowing it won't arrive for a few weeks I'm going through want-it-NOW-itis.  

By the way we haven't seen your Betty Gear for this up coming season yet (or I missed it) so where's the pic?
2014-03-12 7:19 PM
in reply to: bcraht

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by bcraht

NO NO NO!  Canadians will never hit with their stick.  (McSorley doesn't count, he was a member of the Bruins at the time.!)

Sorry excuse the ignorance of the Aussie where hockey is played on grass with studded boots and no padding (unless your the goalie) and anything is fair game , if you don't get seen.

2014-03-12 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Oh in BIG EXCITING NEWS!!!!

It has "rained" here this morning for the first time since November. I say "rained" because if you had run around in it for the entire 30 minutes that it happened you would have still come inside drier than a nuns crutch.
2014-03-12 7:22 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by bcraht

Sorry excuse the ignorance of the Aussie where hockey is played on grass with studded boots and no padding (unless your the goalie) and anything is fair game , if you don't get seen.

.  I never could play that game.  Whaddya mean I can't use the back of my stick? 

2014-03-12 10:19 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Thanks for the C25K link. Looks like that might be worth a shot. (And don't anybody worry about putting your foot in your mouth saying I'm old. You're forgiven; I know what you meant.)

Yanti, if "HappyStoned" was referring to me, I DO live in Colorado, where it's now legal to buy recreational marijuana. Not that I have, of course (in case there are any DEA folks in the house.)

Edited by laffinrock 2014-03-12 10:34 PM
2014-03-13 6:34 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by laffinrock Thanks for the C25K link. Looks like that might be worth a shot. (And don't anybody worry about putting your foot in your mouth saying I'm old. You're forgiven; I know what you meant.) Yanti, if "HappyStoned" was referring to me, I DO live in Colorado, where it's now legal to buy recreational marijuana. Not that I have, of course (in case there are any DEA folks in the house.)

Yes, you, HappyStoned

Shirt-fighting, foot shooting with a mouth target, waxing Sedona, fachmie Whoppertime ... these are all important Manatee sports.

What's really funny is we seem to have a high concentration of law-enforcement Manatees. That, and Seventh-day Adventists.

2014-03-13 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Mary, I have a glossary of terms, if you'd like it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_xyfZBSmx9ZNI7YRi8dKjOoP604WTVEjvsd0dXS_4hs/edit?usp=sharing

I have found that this group develops it's very own lingo at times. I'd love to get all of Darren's words in here as well, but I have lost track.

2014-03-13 8:39 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Oh in BIG EXCITING NEWS!!!! It has "rained" here this morning for the first time since November. I say "rained" because if you had run around in it for the entire 30 minutes that it happened you would have still come inside drier than a nuns crutch.

Now that's funny!!  I mean, congratulations on the "rain"!

2014-03-13 8:41 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

Darn you and your speedy running-ness all to heck!  To HECK, I say!!  

Is that anyway for a Canadian to talk? You've been in the states too long

Oh the shame!  I've been called out... as punishment I will deprive myself of maple syrup for the rest of the week...  Or maybe just today.  

Sheeeeesh, all this fighting has worn me out!  How 'bout I just come to Florida some time and we have drinks instead??  

That's a much better plan!

Rev3 Venice, Nov 7-9. This is the view from the upstairs of the bar where the race is staged:

Sunset is really nice here as well.

Oh muh garsh - that looks FABULOUS!!!  

it is, trust me!

I think given the recurrence of arctic blast weather here we need to have this pic posted again so I can fantasize.  That looks wonderful!

2014-03-13 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

The problem with Sharkey's is that it is always crowded with older tourists. To get the real deal Florida feel, travel 20 miles south to Englewood and pop in at Zeke's Icehouse, hidden in the Palm Marina. No crowd, good bands, nice people running it, and real eclectic menu. The beer is cold, real cold. It was on of the stops during pub ride this year. BTW, sunset there is nice:

I'd post one of these every day, but Monica might cry 

Edited by cdban66 2014-03-13 9:07 AM
2014-03-13 9:32 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.

Mary, I have a glossary of terms, if you'd like it:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_xyfZBSmx9ZNI7YRi8dKjOoP604WTVEjvsd0dXS_4hs/edit?usp=sharing

I have found that this group develops it's very own lingo at times. I'd love to get all of Darren's words in here as well, but I have lost track.

The most important one I can give is Cwtch. Said as in Butch with a 'k'. Hard to translate into English, but basically means a safe place. So, English people get a cuddles, but only Welsh (and manatees) get a Cwtch.

Edited by Richardsdrr 2014-03-13 9:33 AM
2014-03-13 9:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock Thanks for the C25K link. Looks like that might be worth a shot. (And don't anybody worry about putting your foot in your mouth saying I'm old. You're forgiven; I know what you meant.) Yanti, if "HappyStoned" was referring to me, I DO live in Colorado, where it's now legal to buy recreational marijuana. Not that I have, of course (in case there are any DEA folks in the house.)

I bought a shirt at Endurance House that says "Tri high" with the Colorado flag. I can't wear it now for fear of being "randomly" drug tested.

Has anyone seen/heard from Salty? I know she's in Austin so I'm a bit concerned about her.

2014-03-13 10:15 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The problem with Sharkey's is that it is always crowded with older tourists. To get the real deal Florida feel, travel 20 miles south to Englewood and pop in at Zeke's Icehouse, hidden in the Palm Marina. No crowd, good bands, nice people running it, and real eclectic menu. The beer is cold, real cold. It was on of the stops during pub ride this year. BTW, sunset there is nice:

I'd post one of these every day, but Monica might cry 

I thought older tourists were the real Florida! If not them, then families - usually from Europe, burnt to a crisp because the spent all day at Disney or the beach and did not wear sun block.

actually! one of the reasons I like living where I do in Orlando is that it is no where near the tourist area. Not that there is anything wrong with tourists!

Edited by amd723 2014-03-13 10:16 AM

2014-03-13 10:15 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by rrrunner

I bought a shirt at Endurance House that says "Tri high" with the Colorado flag. I can't wear it now for fear of being "randomly" drug tested.

Has anyone seen/heard from Salty? I know she's in Austin so I'm a bit concerned about her.

More fun = less posting!

2014-03-13 10:17 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

bia watch

bia pic

Be glad you weren't one of the Kickstarter funders.  My friend backed them 2 years ago, yes, two years ago and just got her watch last week or the week before.  Cuh-razy!  They do look pretty cool, though, and supposedly have some very good features.  You'll have to let us know how you like yours when you get it.

Yowsa!  I didn't even know about them until about 5 months ago and at that time they weren't taking any more orders so I was keeping my eye on the site for when/if they were going to be starting up again.  Once I heard that some were shipping, I decided to get one - but I had no idea that some people had been waiting 2 years for theirs!!  

2014-03-13 10:19 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

bia watch

By the way we haven't seen your Betty Gear for this up coming season yet (or I missed it) so where's the pic?

Sorry StaceFace!  I had them in my blog, but here it is in all my cheesy glory...  And yes, I realize the pics are HUGELY cheesy, I couldn't help it, I was excited to put it all on as soon as I saw what had arrived in the mail.  

(Betty Side View.jpg)

(Betty Tri Top.jpg)

(Betty Jersey Full.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Betty Side View.jpg (29KB - 6 downloads)
Betty Tri Top.jpg (22KB - 7 downloads)
Betty Jersey Full.jpg (25KB - 6 downloads)
2014-03-13 10:22 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

More fun = less posting!

Exactly what I was thinking too!!  When she gets back I'll also need to get a full report on Austin from her as it's at the top of the list for places to move to right now.   

2014-03-13 10:27 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

More fun = less posting!

Exactly what I was thinking too!!  When she gets back I'll also need to get a full report on Austin from her as it's at the top of the list for places to move to right now.   

The pix look great! Totally not cheesy!!!!!!!!!! As for Salty, did you all hear about the drunk driver that crashed in to dozens of pedestrians on a street closed to traffic in Austin last night?

2014-03-13 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

More fun = less posting!

The pix look great! Totally not cheesy!!!!!!!!!! As for Salty, did you all hear about the drunk driver that crashed in to dozens of pedestrians on a street closed to traffic in Austin last night?

I did and thought of salty too.

as for your tri high shirt, the Feds are known for their sense of humor, so I think you'd be ok

2014-03-13 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

More fun = less posting!

Oh no... no, no, no, no, no!   I hadn't heard about that.     

I just checked and her last post on FB was at noon yesterday - I hope she's okay.  I'm feeling all anxious now.   

2014-03-13 11:11 AM

User image

Master

I'm in line for coffee this morning, and, as usual, Mak incites a conversation with a stranger. His name is Jeff. He works at the bank. He moved here from Chicago less than two weeks ago. He left his wife and 13yo son there while kid finishes school. Wife doesn't like him very much after the latest 8" of snow. Oh, and he'd trade a 13yo for a 3yo anytime. LOL

C'mon, Monica! Even the little bank guy knew when to get out of Dodge.

Oh, and you Betty-fied nicely

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2014--CLOSED (begging & bribes MAY work) Rss Feed  

of 103

RELATED POSTS

McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21

Started by McFuzz
Views: 25668 Posts: 509

2014-10-29 11:38 AM McFuzz

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38300 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

The Other Way - Training by Feeling and Racing to Train - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by pfomalont
Views: 18131 Posts: 299

2014-05-19 7:15 AM marriedthepoolguy

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : January 10, 2005
author : malvey
Incentives for making and keeping resolutions for your next year.

date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
New Years Resolutions that Last - How to make them and keep them
date : September 4, 2004
author : anchorage84
It’s just so discouraging to know that within a few more weeks those New Years’ Resolutionists are going to quietly disappear.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
The following is my 'new years resolution' for 2003.