BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-10 7:52 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux
Originally posted by JBacarella

I finally ran a race this year. Just a small local 5 k with just 112 runners. I was 22nd overall, my time was a little slow. But get this, I am in my first year of the 50 year old age and ended up in fourth place. There were 3 guys in my age group with a sub 20 minute 5k. I was shocked. I would have podiumed in any other age group. My 82 year old Dad had sage advice. He said "next time you should run faster." Thanks Dad.

he sounds like a wise man.

2016-07-10 8:21 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by StaceyK Go racers!!! Wet and stormy here this weekend so the dogs decided this was the best way to spend the day

I love seeing pictures of your dogs.  They are very impressive.  My son also loves dogs and is amazed by them when I show him

2016-07-11 2:34 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi Guys if you had to recommend a good "running book" for training and other good advice to a relative beginner what would you suggest?
2016-07-11 8:19 AM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by DaveL okay not usually one to write product reviews but this one just saved my bacon. Loksak smartphone bag - basically think of it as a thicker double zip lock bag for your phone. I just got caught in a torrential downpour and because I had my phone in this bag it saved it from getting wet. They arent cheap as far as sandwich bags go but a lot cheaper than a new phone. Now that I have had a shower, updated strava and BT the sun is back out . Grrrr! Go Manatees!

I'm sorry to hear that you were caught out in the storm.  I'm glad that the Loksak kept your phone dry!

2016-07-11 8:21 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Go racers!!! Wet and stormy here this weekend so the dogs decided this was the best way to spend the day

They look super comfy!

Zoe is not that still unless we drug her!

2016-07-11 8:26 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Anyone following the TdF this year? I like the looks of BMC(I love me an underdog), but Sky is gonna be tough to beat.

Predictions?

No predictions.  Not a fan of the current yellow jersey.  I feel so bad for Richie Porte and his inopportune flat  It makes me think of On the Waterfront. "I coulda' been a contender."

I mentioned in my blog that I broke down and spend the $30 for NBC Sports Gold.  I have to tell you -- worth every penny.  Commercial free tour watching, oh my!

2016-07-11 8:35 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

Anyone following the TdF this year? I like the looks of BMC(I love me an underdog), but Sky is gonna be tough to beat.

Predictions?

I predict whichever rider has the best motor hidden in his bike   Ok, I may have only watched a few minutes of it , so I'm just going with Yates since he has the same last name as my BIL.

He did well yesterday!  Mountain top finish.  Hail. Yikes!  Now I need to Google when was the last time the white jersey was also the yellow jersey...  Wikipedia says, "Since the young rider classification was introduced in 1975, it has been won by 35 different cyclists. On four occasions a cyclist has won the young rider classification and the general classification — Fignon in 1983, Ullrich in 1997, Contador in 2007 and Schleck in 2010."

2016-07-11 8:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

double post

Edited by jmkizer 2016-07-11 8:35 AM
2016-07-11 8:39 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IronOx

Had a good race today.  I am happy with all three legs.  Not a PR, but solid.  Somebody needs to tell the RD that a hill to the finish (well, not really a hill, a ramp with a couple of switchbacks up to the Olympic plaza) is not nice!    Weather was awesome after the downpour that happened yesterday as we racked our bikes! I am now looking forward to not training for a bit, or at least unstructured, only if I feel like it training.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend!

I think that many coaches and RDs have an evil streak.

Great job!  Nice to have a good race under your belt!

2016-07-11 3:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

For those of you that ride on a trainer, do you use your "race/tri" bike on it? I plan on spending more time on my trainer given a variety of factors but I currently have an old road bike on it and I save my new, race/tri bike for outdoor riding. I'm wondering if I'm not going to see the same gains outdoors by not training on what I'll be racing on given the different position, etc.
2016-07-11 3:19 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by TXTriRook For those of you that ride on a trainer, do you use your "race/tri" bike on it? I plan on spending more time on my trainer given a variety of factors but I currently have an old road bike on it and I save my new, race/tri bike for outdoor riding. I'm wondering if I'm not going to see the same gains outdoors by not training on what I'll be racing on given the different position, etc.

I am actually doing the opposite. I have my roadie ready for easy access to outside rides and have my TT bike on the trainer.  I think that as long as you are getting some time outside for muscle memory in aero, your cardio and legs will still see gains either way.

2016-07-11 3:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook For those of you that ride on a trainer, do you use your "race/tri" bike on it? I plan on spending more time on my trainer given a variety of factors but I currently have an old road bike on it and I save my new, race/tri bike for outdoor riding. I'm wondering if I'm not going to see the same gains outdoors by not training on what I'll be racing on given the different position, etc.

I have my road bike on the trainer as I mainly ride my tri bike, so I don't have to keep taking it off and putting it on.  I think riding is riding, so I wouldn't worry about which bike you use.

2016-07-11 4:02 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Hey manatees, I've returned from my hot hot hot trip to Williamsburg!  I didn't melt into the pavement and I got to meet Judi, QueenZipp herself!  I also got to meet my new coach, aka Coach Josh, in person, how cool!  My friend LT and I had a really fun time, and her half relay team got 2nd place and after some drama not perpetrated by me, I got 2nd AG (Athena) in the Olympic.  It was hot, so hot.  I felt like all I did Friday, Saturday and Sunday was drink and sweat, sweat and drink.  I'll try to get to the RR this week.

Laura and Judi, I have no idea how you tolerate the traffic around your area, unless you don't use any of the routes that have 95 in them.  Man, what a total PITA the drive was down and back!  LT and I vowed not to do any more races that involve traveling on those roads, LOL.  Unless we drive at midnight, maybe that would be better.

2016-07-11 4:14 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by melbo55

Hey manatees, I've returned from my hot hot hot trip to Williamsburg!  I didn't melt into the pavement and I got to meet Judi, QueenZipp herself!  I also got to meet my new coach, aka Coach Josh, in person, how cool!  My friend LT and I had a really fun time, and her half relay team got 2nd place and after some drama not perpetrated by me, I got 2nd AG (Athena) in the Olympic.  It was hot, so hot.  I felt like all I did Friday, Saturday and Sunday was drink and sweat, sweat and drink.  I'll try to get to the RR this week.

Laura and Judi, I have no idea how you tolerate the traffic around your area, unless you don't use any of the routes that have 95 in them.  Man, what a total PITA the drive was down and back!  LT and I vowed not to do any more races that involve traveling on those roads, LOL.  Unless we drive at midnight, maybe that would be better.

Why do you think I put up with my crazy job?  I work from home and very rarely have to fight that traffic.  Trust me, when I am stuck on 95 any length of time I start cursing like a sailor and using pretty nasty hand gestures.

Northern VA, near Laura is a parking lot 24/7.  It seems like all the various roads feed into the route then voila here we have a road designed 30+ years ago that is ill equipped to handle the volume of traffic.....Though I lived in southern MD 30 years ago and that road was a parking lot even then!!

It might take a little longer, but from Mt Joy area you could go around the western part of MD to route 81 then go across 64 east.  We go out 81 when we visit John's family in Harrisburg / Dillsburgh area.

2016-07-11 4:40 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Thanks all. Anyone on here thinking of doing this? http://www.akxtri.com/.I watched the movie Everest over the weekend and now I feel like doing something non-life threatening but very adventurous.
2016-07-11 5:01 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by TXTriRook Thanks all. Anyone on here thinking of doing this? http://www.akxtri.com/.I watched the movie Everest over the weekend and now I feel like doing something non-life threatening but very adventurous.

It looks exciting, gorgeous and VERY challenging!  I'd be a no, but I'll gladly root for any manatees who dared to go for it!

2016-07-11 5:11 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Originally posted by TXTriRook Thanks all. Anyone on here thinking of doing this? http://www.akxtri.com/.I watched the movie Everest over the weekend and now I feel like doing something non-life threatening but very adventurous.

Oh my goodness that course is gorgeous....but man the water temps are CRAZY and the climbs on the bike crazier!!  WOW!!  I don't even think Yanti would risk hypothermia for this one!

2016-07-11 5:25 PM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by QueenZipp

Oh my goodness that course is gorgeous....but man the water temps are CRAZY and the climbs on the bike crazier!!  WOW!!  I don't even think Yanti would risk hypothermia for this one!

I think you have no chance of getting Yanti there her and Kingsley complain like mad when they have to race with the temperature below 95* (you should hear the b!tching )
2016-07-11 9:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

I have my road bike on the trainer as I mainly ride my tri bike, so I don't have to keep taking it off and putting it on.  I think riding is riding, so I wouldn't worry about which bike you use.

That last part especially is largely true. Ride a bike and develop your power. That's the most important thing. You'll still need to ride your tri bike in tri position at times to maintain or develop being used to it, but major power gains are still with just riding. Trainer work tends to be pretty much all about developing power as you're locked in place (well, most are). Be sure to get some outside rides in your race position, but also don't feel like all rides have to be that way. See how things are going. And try remember what race day will bring. Long course will be more just spending a lot of time. Short course is going to be harder effort. Some can get by not doing any in tri position, but for many it will help to at least have some. I kept more to some as I develop faster riding more up and then just get used to aero some again. All aero and everything flattened out before long.

2016-07-11 9:49 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmkizer

Predictions?

I predict whichever rider has the best motor hidden in his bike   Ok, I may have only watched a few minutes of it , so I'm just going with Yates since he has the same last name as my BIL.

He did well yesterday!  Mountain top finish.  Hail. Yikes!  Now I need to Google when was the last time the white jersey was also the yellow jersey...  Wikipedia says, "Since the young rider classification was introduced in 1975, it has been won by 35 different cyclists. On four occasions a cyclist has won the young rider classification and the general classification — Fignon in 1983, Ullrich in 1997, Contador in 2007 and Schleck in 2010."

Was going to say, might not like some of these guys either.

Been following highlights, but haven't had a chance to watch much. Could get really interesting Wednesday and after. I keep looking at the one out of Berne too. Cat 1 & HC in the last 30k. OMG!

Edited by brigby1 2016-07-11 9:52 PM
2016-07-12 6:34 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I put the roadie on the trainer.  I'm sure that Ben and Co. will have some comments about bike position and trainers but for me, personally, I shift around a lot more outside (unconsciously) making it easier to hold position for a longer time. I can ride a lot longer outside and stay comfortable. 

I'm not sure that me holding a certain position on the trainer would translate into me holding that same position well out side. 

That being said, does the roadie fit you well?

2016-07-12 6:43 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

Predictions?

Was going to say, might not like some of these guys either.

Been following highlights, but haven't had a chance to watch much. Could get really interesting Wednesday and after. I keep looking at the one out of Berne too. Cat 1 & HC in the last 30k. OMG!

Yes, I can see some at work streaming in my future

2016-07-12 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

PSA:

DC Rainmaker's Prime Day tech deals page

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/sales

2016-07-12 7:52 AM

Master
Northern IL

I put the roadie on the trainer.  I'm sure that Ben and Co. will have some comments about bike position and trainers but for me, personally, I shift around a lot more outside (unconsciously) making it easier to hold position for a longer time. I can ride a lot longer outside and stay comfortable. 

I'm not sure that me holding a certain position on the trainer would translate into me holding that same position well out side. 

The general trend of holding position is that your arse may get sore more easily on the trainer, but your balance/support muscles don't get as much use there. The variations of riding outside can seem to help people with the saddle soreness, but lack of use in the support areas can make holding the position a little more difficult. Hence Jordan Rapp's recommendation of at least trying to make sure you can do long rides outside as this is where the support will get the most work.

I've been using the pricier KK Rock 'n Roll trainer and twice now have not really needed adaptations of support when going outside after several months of only indoor training. Used to have some with the fixed KK Road Machine. There can still be a little getting used to the bike's responsiveness again, but haven't really had conditioning issues.

2016-07-12 7:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

The general trend of holding position is that your arse may get sore more easily on the trainer, but your balance/support muscles don't get as much use there. The variations of riding outside can seem to help people with the saddle soreness, but lack of use in the support areas can make holding the position a little more difficult. Hence Jordan Rapp's recommendation of at least trying to make sure you can do long rides outside as this is where the support will get the most work.

I've been using the pricier KK Rock 'n Roll trainer and twice now have not really needed adaptations of support when going outside after several months of only indoor training. Used to have some with the fixed KK Road Machine. There can still be a little getting used to the bike's responsiveness again, but haven't really had conditioning issues.

Good to know!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.