BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2012-07-07 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4299375

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED

Fred D - 2012-07-07 7:57 PM Interesting discussion about the Muncie 70.3 being shortened. I would have been disappointed myself as I've raced eagleman in 100+ temps with success, but I can understand the pressure RDs can be under. My suggestion would be that if you really want to avoid your HIm from being shortened or cancelled, don't race in southern Indiana in July as heat will be an issue commonly. Same idea with new orleans and steelhead which often have swim cancellations. Somewhat predictable stuff. Eagleman is known as a very hot race and people seem to accept that for some reason. Thoughts?

I'd love to see a deferral, similar to the Boston Marathon. I understand that it might cost WTC some money, so it's not entirely realistic.

But:

1. Offer to defer registration for next year. And

2. Keep the run course open for an extra hour or so to allow for slower finishing times.

I'd like that offer.

2012-07-08 2:25 AM
in reply to: #4124687

User image

Got in about 56 miles today, and another 90+ on schedule for tomorrow.  Hoping to hang on to the group a little longer tomorrow, but I'm feeling a lot stronger this week, so I'm hoping for the best.  I'll also be taking shorter pulls.

2012-07-08 10:39 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-08 4:44 PM

Elite
Ontario

Happy birthday James - hope it was a great one.

Goose - welcome to the group!

Jen - hope you had a great race today.  Not suew how hot it got down in Peterbrough today.

As for me.  I did running hill repeats for the first time ever on Wed night with the local run group, and was in pain for the next 3 days.  Skipped a run, only swam with a pull buoy on Friday, and suffered through the first half of my run yesterday - but I survived.  What doesn't kill you, right...I'll be back for more hills this weekend.

Rode 90K today, and was able to push the effort a little harder which I was really happy to see.  The one thing I have noticed is that it seems to take me longer to get going I'm stuck noodling along for the first 20-30min before I can really start to push the power, and tend to need a kick start in the form of a hill.  NOt sure if this is normal for others as well.

2012-07-08 6:37 PM

Happy Birthday James!

Looks like a lot of good training going on

Yesterday got about 65 miles, with two 5 mile climbs. This morning swam my longest non stop swim ever, 4 miles (did 4.8 last year at an event but we had to swim to the beach and back out every 1.2 miles).  Then 6.3 hilly run this afternoon

Did have one moment, I had been getting echo located by the local dolphin pod, so knew they were close, but when a very large grey shape shot beneath me in the 10 foot vis about a 1/2 mile in, my hear rate went up quite a bit....    Could tell it was a dolphin by how it was swimming (up and down, not back and forth like that other thing) but did stop to make sure as it came up for a breath a few feet away.

2012-07-08 6:42 PM

Awesome long ride today.  Finally feeling a bump in my cycling fitness as my races start approaching.

Last week, 92.6 miles, 156 watts, 187 normalized, VI 1.21, avg speed 18.1 mph

Today, 101.8 miles, 179 watts, 205 normalized, VI 1.14, avg speed 18.9 mph

The strongest rider in our group couldn't ride today, so the effort was a lot more even...and I didn't blow up like last week.  Still a tough ride though.

2012-07-08 7:50 PM
in reply to: #4300151

Extreme Veteran
GoFaster - 2012-07-08 4:44 PM

..... The one thing I have noticed is that it seems to take me longer to get going I'm stuck noodling along for the first 20-30min before I can really start to push the power, and tend to need a kick start in the form of a hill.  NOt sure if this is normal for others as well.

I have this problem as well. I have recently found that if I slowly break into the watts the workout will end up much better. Yes, a hill is a great way to get things going.

I also noticed that well into the workout, if I am having trouble holding the watts, a hard 30 second 'wakeup' makes things better.

2012-07-08 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4300353

marcag - 2012-07-08 2:50 PM
GoFaster - 2012-07-08 4:44 PM

..... The one thing I have noticed is that it seems to take me longer to get going I'm stuck noodling along for the first 20-30min before I can really start to push the power, and tend to need a kick start in the form of a hill.  NOt sure if this is normal for others as well.

I have this problem as well. I have recently found that if I slowly break into the watts the workout will end up much better. Yes, a hill is a great way to get things going.

I also noticed that well into the workout, if I am having trouble holding the watts, a hard 30 second 'wakeup' makes things better.

I normally take around 20-30 minutes before I feel comfortable pushing desired watts.  But I also agree that a good burst here and there also helps.  I noticed that if I am riding solo, and having a somewhat crummy ride (nobody else to push me), I'll look for some stop lights with a little vehicle traffic.  Going from a stop and hammering as hard as you can for 15-25 seconds to keep up with traffic (on my road bike anyway...wouldn't really do it on my tri bike) is a great way to wake up the legs.  Mentally...it also gives me a nice confidence boost to keep up with traffic as cars don't need to pass me before getting to the next light.  Then I pull off to more desolate roads that I normally ride on and get back to training.

2012-07-09 5:59 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut

Good Morning Folks!!

Welcome Goose!!

I did 64 on Saturday and 53 yesterday, i was a little tired yesterday fer sure.

I also feel that i need a pretty decent warmup, or at least a couple good hard efforts to "wake" the legs up, and then to totally chill and let the body get back to Z1, then it is hammer time. 

2012-07-09 7:16 AM

Payson, AZ
Wow, you guys had some really good discussions while I was off on vacation.  I really liked the one about pacing a race.  I find that for tri's I pace myself too easily, but I think I paced the last one too easily cause I did the bike training too easy.  I believe I would have paced better had I trained not more on the bike but harder on the bike.  I have finally learned how to push myself to the brink during run races though.  So there is hope for me.
2012-07-09 8:51 AM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Good morning!

Very sleepy and sunburned today - my race yesterday went well. The run was very hot - on a country road with absolutely no shade but I am still happy with the overall result. The bike was short of 90k and my only other HIM was more than 90k so it's not really an apples to apples but i was about 35 mins faster on this course!  I really faded in the last 4k of the run - i was having conversations with myself about just keeping going between aid stations but I also had to remind myself not to push too hard because this was not my A race i didn't need to totally wreck myself. I needed to be able to resume training asap so I walked a bit but still not all that much.

Really happy with how calm I was on the swim - it was a mass start and i stayed a little back but didn't wait as long as usual. 

2012-07-09 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4300920

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
juniperjen - 2012-07-09 9:51 AM

Good morning!

Very sleepy and sunburned today - my race yesterday went well. The run was very hot - on a country road with absolutely no shade but I am still happy with the overall result. The bike was short of 90k and my only other HIM was more than 90k so it's not really an apples to apples but i was about 35 mins faster on this course!  I really faded in the last 4k of the run - i was having conversations with myself about just keeping going between aid stations but I also had to remind myself not to push too hard because this was not my A race i didn't need to totally wreck myself. I needed to be able to resume training asap so I walked a bit but still not all that much.

Really happy with how calm I was on the swim - it was a mass start and i stayed a little back but didn't wait as long as usual. 

Congratulations and great job on the race Jen!
2012-07-09 9:38 AM

Champion
Did my 4 miler with 2.5 miles in zone 4 this morning to avoid doing it in the heat. Supposed to hit record highs for Edmonton today. Also, did a 2200m swim after...feeling it a bit right now! I'm in emerg tonight from 2400-0800, so after class today I plan to go lounge around, nap and watch the Tour!
2012-07-09 9:39 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Good morning!

Nice improvement Jen!

2012-07-09 9:39 AM

Champion
juniperjen - 2012-07-09 7:51 AM

Good morning!

Nice race Jen! Looks like your training is paying off! Nice 35min PR!
2012-07-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: #4299820

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

TSimone - 2012-07-08 11:39 AM Got in 3600 yards this am. The pool was unbelievably warm and sucked the life right out of me, but it's walking distance from my sister's house, which is cool.

I decided to practice flip turns during my warm up. High entertainment value there. Did one fairly well, totally missed the wall on another two or three and almost missed the wall on another. All in all I really suck at them but I think I'll keep practicing.

Will probably get in a run tonight. Have a great day peeps!

The flip turns do get easier.  I started practicing them at the end of my season 2 or 3 years ago.  I remember I started first of november and made a conscious decision to learn them.  By Thanksgiving I was using them for all my easy to moderate paced sets and then by Christmas I was able to do them on my threshold sets.  The threshold sets are tough at the beginning because it takes awhile to nail the breathing and lead in and out from the wall on the flip turn.

Keep after it...it can be frustrating but I enjoy doing them and keeping fluid through a set.

2012-07-09 9:59 AM

Pro

I've got a roadie. Took her out for a short check-out ride, and I'm pretty sure I'm in love.

No big miles this weekend - got my long ride in during the week. 12 weeks out from my A race.

Getting back to Masters has been awesome - and tiring!

(IMAG0169.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMAG0169.jpg (96KB - 2 downloads)
2012-07-09 10:00 AM

Pro

Good morning!

AWESOME!!! Congrats! Not even your A race and dropping some serious time.

2012-07-09 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4301029

Pro
rymac - 2012-07-09 10:43 AM

TSimone - 2012-07-08 11:39 AM Got in 3600 yards this am. The pool was unbelievably warm and sucked the life right out of me, but it's walking distance from my sister's house, which is cool.

I decided to practice flip turns during my warm up. High entertainment value there. Did one fairly well, totally missed the wall on another two or three and almost missed the wall on another. All in all I really suck at them but I think I'll keep practicing.

Will probably get in a run tonight. Have a great day peeps!

The flip turns do get easier.  I started practicing them at the end of my season 2 or 3 years ago.  I remember I started first of november and made a conscious decision to learn them.  By Thanksgiving I was using them for all my easy to moderate paced sets and then by Christmas I was able to do them on my threshold sets.  The threshold sets are tough at the beginning because it takes awhile to nail the breathing and lead in and out from the wall on the flip turn.

Keep after it...it can be frustrating but I enjoy doing them and keeping fluid through a set.

... and even after 21 years of consistant flip turns, you'll still miss the wall occasionally

You'll get it soon - and it'll really help make your swimming feel more... continuous? Not sure what word I'm looking for there.

2012-07-09 10:39 AM

2012-07-09 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4301076

2012-07-09 1:10 PM

NC

Wicked hot 50 miles yesterday.  I think the heat scared off the plodders like me, so it was hold on, pray and melt.  Has anyone had success with those supposed cooling beanies?

Funny that flip turns should come up.  After being out of the pool for a week, at lunch swim today my Master's coach decided it was time to learn flip turns for me and one other triathlete.  Mind you, I'm a believer that the fast folks aren't doing these things for giggles, but I had just been putting it off.  And off.  She wasn't a big believer in gradual steps: do a flip under water off the wall, ok, now do a flip turn.   Despite being incredibly hard, a couple gallons up my nose and the oxygen deprivation, they weren't as bad as I had suspected.  Now, just to start working them in during w/u and c/d. 

2012-07-09 1:31 PM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

I raced the Grand Haven Olympic this weekend.  One of my favorite races.  Swim is in Lake Michigan which flipped overnight.  It was 76 degrees and then was 63 race morning.  Actually I would rather have 63 than 76 for a wetsuit swim.  The thing that kind of sucks is the transition area is 0.75 miles from the water so its a long arse run.  Came out 3 minutes slower than last year most likely due to going against the current this year. 

Bike and Run were really solid - cut 3 minutes off my bike and 3 minutes off my run this year compared to the same course last year.  1:05 bike and :40 run.  Legs were ready to rock and knew it from the get go on the bike...always a good feeling.

Finished in 2:21 which comparibly is around 2:14-2:15 if you take out the long transition run.  I really wanted to break 2:15 this year at an Olympic so happy with the race.

2012-07-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: #4301709

2012-07-09 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4301676

Goosedog - 2012-07-09 11:10 AM

Wicked hot 50 miles yesterday.  I think the heat scared off the plodders like me, so it was hold on, pray and melt.  Has anyone had success with those supposed cooling beanies?

I've used the beanie, arm coolers and coolwings from De Soto, most recently in Las Vegas on a very hot day.  Kept my arms cool with water but was wearing an aero helmet.  After the race, I noticed that any little breeze actually made me cold, and it was near 90 out.  I found what helped more or as much was ice cold water down the crotch

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D's triathlon training group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 108