BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-06 8:24 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by fortissimo Thanks for all the well wishes, thoughts, and support. John is doing better and may be released in a few days. He looks horrible, though. Tom, sending thoughts for your aunt. Mary, sending thoughts as well.

I'm so glad to hear that John is being released from the hospital soon.  I'll continue to keep thinking of him. 

Me too!!!

2015-05-06 8:45 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
HAPPY HUMP DAY!

That's it - I got nuthin else

Hope everyone who is hurt is healing and everyone who is healthy stays that way.

Carry on and have a great day!
2015-05-06 9:02 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HAPPY HUMP DAY! That's it - I got nuthin else Hope everyone who is hurt is healing and everyone who is healthy stays that way. Carry on and have a great day!

I'm getting there.  Swelling has gone down a ton in my shoulder, and with that I've gain use of my left arm again.  Guess I can stop worrying about there being some fracture that I missed.  Now I'm more dealing with all the road rash healing that was overshadowed by throbbing muscle soreness.  Got back on the trainer this morning.  Starting the road back.

2015-05-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HAPPY HUMP DAY! That's it - I got nuthin else Hope everyone who is hurt is healing and everyone who is healthy stays that way. Carry on and have a great day!

I'm getting there.  Swelling has gone down a ton in my shoulder, and with that I've gain use of my left arm again.  Guess I can stop worrying about there being some fracture that I missed.  Now I'm more dealing with all the road rash healing that was overshadowed by throbbing muscle soreness.  Got back on the trainer this morning.  Starting the road back.

I'm glad that you are seeing some improvement.  Easy does it for the time being.

Take care!

2015-05-06 9:42 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh man, ouchie, ouchie, ouchie.  Glad to hear you are noticing improvements, feeling better, and getting back on the horse.  Take care and heal quickly!

2015-05-06 9:52 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Oh man, ouchie, ouchie, ouchie.  Glad to hear you are noticing improvements, feeling better, and getting back on the horse.  Take care and heal quickly!

+1.  Back on the trainer and no fracture are good, ouchiness--not so much!

2015-05-06 11:22 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by popsracer

While my problems are pretty trivial compared to some of these other events I did have an interesting conversation with my wife last night.

I was finalizng hotels, registrations, etc. for Boise and asked her about her preferred room type and I got  "Do you HAVE to do this race?". And I'm like, "oh, you mean the one I've been training everyday for the last four months for?"  Not quite sure what to do with this.  I try to keep peace and it is a 10 hour drive and four days away so I kind of see her point though I feel she is a little late as she has been fully aware of what I've been training for.

So, suck it up and look for a closer race or drag them along begrudgingly?? Going by myself isn't really an option.

Maybe she was just having "a day."  I don't know what your normal race planning process is.  What happens at my house is I ask Kevin, get his confirmation and register.  His veto power then expires. Once I register, that ship has sailed.  

It works both ways though.  Kevin is going to a mountain biking camp in Bend in the fall.  He asked, I said yes, he made reservations.  Now I'd better be happy about it!

Victoria 70.3 would be closer?  Manatee Meet Up?

I certainly considered it.  I have some friends that are doing it.  It is an amazing venue and you will love it.  I assume you have seen the elevation profile (3,400+ ft. gain) for the bike course which did not appeal to me as I am not a strong cyclist.  Boise is about 1,800.

I generally dont race on Sunday so this probably wouldn't happen for me.

I guess I'll revisit the issue tonight.

Update:  I drive over Thursday.  She flies over Friday night and all is good.  Took the wisdom of Solomon to get this party back on track. 

2015-05-06 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle so quickly. 

2015-05-06 11:41 AM

User image

Denver, CO

While my problems are pretty trivial compared to some of these other events I did have an interesting conversation with my wife last night.

I was finalizng hotels, registrations, etc. for Boise and asked her about her preferred room type and I got  "Do you HAVE to do this race?". And I'm like, "oh, you mean the one I've been training everyday for the last four months for?"  Not quite sure what to do with this.  I try to keep peace and it is a 10 hour drive and four days away so I kind of see her point though I feel she is a little late as she has been fully aware of what I've been training for.

So, suck it up and look for a closer race or drag them along begrudgingly?? Going by myself isn't really an option.

Maybe she was just having "a day."  I don't know what your normal race planning process is.  What happens at my house is I ask Kevin, get his confirmation and register.  His veto power then expires. Once I register, that ship has sailed.  

It works both ways though.  Kevin is going to a mountain biking camp in Bend in the fall.  He asked, I said yes, he made reservations.  Now I'd better be happy about it!

I certainly considered it.  I have some friends that are doing it.  It is an amazing venue and you will love it.  I assume you have seen the elevation profile (3,400+ ft. gain) for the bike course which did not appeal to me as I am not a strong cyclist.  Boise is about 1,800.

Update:  I drive over Thursday.  She flies over Friday night and all is good.  Took the wisdom of Solomon to get this party back on track. 

Glad you got it resolved in a way that works for both of you!!  The wisdom of Solomon and the patience of Job.

2015-05-06 12:44 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Have you kids heard about our bear? It's making national news!!

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/connecticut-runners-chased-dangerou...

2015-05-06 12:52 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Have you kids heard about our bear? It's making national news!! http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/connecticut-runners-chased-dangerou...

Scary.  I wonder what that girl's average pace was while being chased.  Bet she PR'd for two miles.

2015-05-06 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Have you kids heard about our bear? It's making national news!! http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/connecticut-runners-chased-dangerou...

Wow, that would be scary!

2015-05-06 1:24 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Scary.  I wonder what that girl's average pace was while being chased.  Bet she PR'd for two miles.

Last year I was doing a trail tri (after work series so they're short) and it's at a membership only recreation area. They have bears there and they know it and the bears leave the people alone etc so it's fine.

I saw him on one of my runs once. Yeah you can see my pace SPIKE on my garmin data That guy was no further than 5 feet from me just walking in the opposite direction on the side of the trail.
2015-05-06 1:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Whew!!  Glad to hear both parties are happy with the resolution.

2015-05-06 1:31 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yikes!

2015-05-06 2:04 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally I only put this in my blog, but decided to share it with the group:

Today at Masters Eliot videoed us swimming.  He has a cool 4-wheeled rig he made from PVC for his GoPro that he can walk along the edge of the pool and record us for a whole length underwater.  Quite ingenious, really. 

He said he sees improvement since the last time he videoed us. My catch is looking pretty good, although I'm still starting it with my wrist a little (but not as bad as before). For my catch he gave good advice of how to think about moving my arm. Once my forearm is vertical, stop pushing back with my hand and rather engage my lat to keep my bent arm in the same position, then once my arm is near my side, then engage my tricep to get my arm around and out for the next stroke.

I will assume that since he didn't mention my body position this time that I've corrected my dropping legs. I thought they looked ok, and I guess he did, too.

My biggest fault (which I am aware of and try to fix when I think about it) is not timing my breathing correctly with my stroke, which is causing a pushing down stroke rather than a proper stroke each time I breathe. I'm turning my head a little too far, too, and also taking too long of a breath (but I really like oxygen!).  This throws off my stroke. Always something to work on. I may have to ask him if he has any suggestions on how to better work on the breathing thing.

2015-05-06 2:26 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Last year I was doing a trail tri (after work series so they're short) and it's at a membership only recreation area. They have bears there and they know it and the bears leave the people alone etc so it's fine. I saw him on one of my runs once. Yeah you can see my pace SPIKE on my garmin data That guy was no further than 5 feet from me just walking in the opposite direction on the side of the trail.

Wow, that's a heck of a way to get your HR up!!  Glad the runners were both unharmed.

2015-05-06 6:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Glad you got it sorted. I had been thinking before this second post that, didn't you say that the times when you have done this race before it has beaten you up a bit? If not physically than at least mentally. I was wondering if her resistance is less to do with the distance and time away and more to do with dealing with your physical and mental recovery from the race.

But seeing as you have it sorted by changing her method of getting there I guess my musings are totally off track.
2015-05-06 6:11 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Hmmm,   my doctor says I need to stop running.    At least for the duration.    She didn't say anything about biking and swimming.      So for the duration I will only do  century rides and the like.    I'm sorely temped to take up doing  USMS swim events.   I would like to beat Rowdy once in my life.    Or seriously get further in freediving.  Having lived a very physical life I don't like the idea that I have to slow down.  

Getting older just don't seem fair.

/Rant

2015-05-07 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

Originally I only put this in my blog, but decided to share it with the group:

Today at Masters Eliot videoed us swimming.  He has a cool 4-wheeled rig he made from PVC for his GoPro that he can walk along the edge of the pool and record us for a whole length underwater.  Quite ingenious, really. 

He said he sees improvement since the last time he videoed us. My catch is looking pretty good, although I'm still starting it with my wrist a little (but not as bad as before). For my catch he gave good advice of how to think about moving my arm. Once my forearm is vertical, stop pushing back with my hand and rather engage my lat to keep my bent arm in the same position, then once my arm is near my side, then engage my tricep to get my arm around and out for the next stroke.

I will assume that since he didn't mention my body position this time that I've corrected my dropping legs. I thought they looked ok, and I guess he did, too.

My biggest fault (which I am aware of and try to fix when I think about it) is not timing my breathing correctly with my stroke, which is causing a pushing down stroke rather than a proper stroke each time I breathe. I'm turning my head a little too far, too, and also taking too long of a breath (but I really like oxygen!).  This throws off my stroke. Always something to work on. I may have to ask him if he has any suggestions on how to better work on the breathing thing.

A few times we have used people's phones to video them in masters.  I have so much work to do! 

2015-05-07 9:00 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by MadMathemagician

Hmmm,   my doctor says I need to stop running.    At least for the duration.    She didn't say anything about biking and swimming.      So for the duration I will only do  century rides and the like.    I'm sorely temped to take up doing  USMS swim events.   I would like to beat Rowdy once in my life.    Or seriously get further in freediving.  Having lived a very physical life I don't like the idea that I have to slow down.  

/Rant

Aquabike!

2015-05-07 9:33 AM
in reply to: MadMathemagician

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

/Rant

well that sucks.

Maybe you can find a new doctor? :D

HAPPY THURSDAY!! it is Thursday, right? All week I thought it was Thursday so now it's here and I'm not sure.

Anyway, run done, haircut after work then pedal.

What's on tap for today? GIT back to work

2015-05-07 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

/Rant

well that sucks. Maybe you can find a new doctor? :D HAPPY THURSDAY!! it is Thursday, right? All week I thought it was Thursday so now it's here and I'm not sure. Anyway, run done, haircut after work then pedal. What's on tap for today? GIT back to work

I'm getting my hair cut during lunch today.  Never thought I'd type that on this forum.  My shoulder is yellow, but I'm told that's a good thing.  I had a spirited trainer ride this morning, so my outlook is improving.

2015-05-07 10:28 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk HAPPY THURSDAY!! it is Thursday, right? All week I thought it was Thursday so now it's here and I'm not sure. Anyway, run done, haircut after work then pedal. What's on tap for today? GIT back to work

Yay Thursday!!!  For me, just a swim.   ITB/glutes/piriformis were hurty enough last night to keep me from sleeping well so I'm going to take it easier today.  I want to give my lower half a chance to settle down a little.  I'm planning to do a mix of pull and swim, probably more pull than swim, with some harder pull intervals.  Thanks to Melanie, I have some new pull technique to focus on during the easier pull laps.  I can focus better on catch/pull technique when I'm just pulling so that should be fine.

I did an easy run/walk last night, which felt incredibly slow.  I took a look at my old logs and was a little disappointed to see that it's about the same pace and distance as last year at this time.  Then again, that pace and distance were challenging last year, whereas I could call it easy yesterday.  I'm not sure whether I'm stronger/more confidant mentally or physically, or maybe it's both.  Based on my recent race results, I'd say both so I'm trying to not feel too down about yesterday.  I also looked at last year's 8-week training plan and I'm just about on track to do the Evergreen race in July.  I need more bike and swim work, especially to prepare for that really challenging bike leg.  I'll get there though.  I've been building a good base and feel mentally ready to step up the intensity.  Just need the body to catch up, which I know it will.

2015-05-07 10:50 AM

User image

Denver, CO

/Rant

well that sucks. Maybe you can find a new doctor? :D HAPPY THURSDAY!! it is Thursday, right? All week I thought it was Thursday so now it's here and I'm not sure. Anyway, run done, haircut after work then pedal. What's on tap for today? GIT back to work

I'm getting my hair cut during lunch today.  Never thought I'd type that on this forum.  My shoulder is yellow, but I'm told that's a good thing.  I had a spirited trainer ride this morning, so my outlook is improving.

Good to hear.  Shaggy and yellow are not a good combination.   Sounds like you and the bike are getting along well.  I was telling DH about your accident last night and he asked (with a grin), "How's the bike?"  I can't remember if anybody asked....

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 16026 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29495 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12409 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 69156 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 57538 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.