BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 98

2016-07-14 8:31 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux

Originally posted by fortissimo Tri stuff doesn't run small - what are you guys talking about?!?! hahahaha I wear a medium in most shirts so I ordered the medium size for the Boulder Peak. It is so small that I'll never be able to wear it, which is okay since the race was cancelled. I do love my 2XU Long Distance Tri shorts. Maybe because the medium in these is a bit to big, unlike any other tri shorts I've ever tried. I have tried other styles of the 2XU and they just didn't work for me. Unfortunately they don't make this style anymore. I hate buying regular clothes and buying tri clothes is a nightmare!

All I can add is that I've shopped with TW for clothing more than once. Women's clothing sizing is a mystery to me, like astrophysics or the Dewey Decimal System. S, M, L mean nothing. Unisex sizing is completely useless  My favorite term is "Feel good sizes". 

Me, standing by a rack, trying to be helpful: "What size are we looking for?"

TW: "I'm not sure, I think I'm an 8 but if it runs small I need a 10 or maybe a 12.  Unless they use feel good sizing, so I might be a 6. Or a 4."

Me: "So, you need all the sizes"

TW: "Yes, please"

2016-07-14 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by Atlantia I need a pep talk, or maybe some sage words of wisdom. I know the Manatee Chant is DOOOOOO EEEEEET, but I'm hesitant. See, there is a small part of me questioning if I'm actually ready for an Oly distance. I haven't signed up for the race yet.... Its the run I'm worried about. The swim, I'm sure I can do it. The bike...it won't be fast, but I know I can do that, too. But the run...this Zone 2 training has me going so slow, and I wonder if I'll ever get anywhere near 6 miles of long runs before race day. Right now I think I'm a titch over 4 miles. 14 minute miles may be what my heart muscle needs right now, but it certainly isn't what my heart & soul want! I don't know. I suppose I could always walk it in if it came down to it? I've been looking forward to doing an Oly all summer....maybe this is just doubt. Thoughts? And on tri clothes: how come the same size doesn't even fit the same across all the colorways? L in the nice "slimming" black shorts from Coeur, and I loved them so much I wanted to get a whole kit. Tried some on at the local tri shop, and found I had to size up top AND bottom to make sure things weren't sheer. What's that about?
You are saying the exact words before signing up for a race that I was saying during my race. After I fell coming out of transition and couldn't run, all I could think was that maybe I shouldn't be doing this distance. First, before my Avengers HM in November, my coach had me running way under what I thought I needed to be training at. He did have faster runs in there, but all of my long runs were easy to mod. I thought there was no way in heck that I would be able to finish the race let alone get below a 2:10. Not only did I finish, but I was at a 2:08 and could have gone faster if the crowds wouldn't have been there. You can do the Oly. If you have to do a run/walk then you do a run/walk. Trust the training. It works. My longest bike ever before IM was 72 miles I think. I did the 112. The longest run was 18, but broken up into a 12 mile run in the morning and a 6 mile in the evening. You can do it. Trust it. Now back to clothes - Have you ever noticed that if you buy the exact same pair of pants in a few different colors, they never fit the same? Ever. Why? Why do pants in short length or even petite cost more than regular or long? Same with dresses and skirts.

See the bolded above and smile while you race!!!

2016-07-14 8:35 AM
in reply to: DaveL

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by DaveL Oh oh I can play too, now that I can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. 35c is 95f, When I got back from my run it looked like I went swimming instead of running and I was even taking advantage of the cooler shaded trails. Sticky humid too -> Stumid.

Did the trails help? Sometimes it seems the air gets stuck in there becoming a heat tube.

2016-07-14 8:46 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by Atlantia

I need a pep talk, or maybe some sage words of wisdom. I know the Manatee Chant is DOOOOOO EEEEEET, but I'm hesitant. See, there is a small part of me questioning if I'm actually ready for an Oly distance. I haven't signed up for the race yet....
Its the run I'm worried about. The swim, I'm sure I can do it. The bike...it won't be fast, but I know I can do that, too. But the run...this Zone 2 training has me going so slow, and I wonder if I'll ever get anywhere near 6 miles of long runs before race day. Right now I think I'm a titch over 4 miles. 14 minute miles may be what my heart muscle needs right now, but it certainly isn't what my heart & soul want!
I don't know. I suppose I could always walk it in if it came down to it? I've been looking forward to doing an Oly all summer....maybe this is just doubt. Thoughts?

And on tri clothes: how come the same size doesn't even fit the same across all the colorways? L in the nice "slimming" black shorts from Coeur, and I loved them so much I wanted to get a whole kit. Tried some on at the local tri shop, and found I had to size up top AND bottom to make sure things weren't sheer. What's that about?

You are saying the exact words before signing up for a race that I was saying during my race. After I fell coming out of transition and couldn't run, all I could think was that maybe I shouldn't be doing this distance.

First, before my Avengers HM in November, my coach had me running way under what I thought I needed to be training at. He did have faster runs in there, but all of my long runs were easy to mod. I thought there was no way in heck that I would be able to finish the race let alone get below a 2:10. Not only did I finish, but I was at a 2:08 and could have gone faster if the crowds wouldn't have been there.

You can do the Oly. If you have to do a run/walk then you do a run/walk. Trust the training. It works. My longest bike ever before IM was 72 miles I think. I did the 112. The longest run was 18, but broken up into a 12 mile run in the morning and a 6 mile in the evening. You can do it. Trust it.

Now back to clothes - Have you ever noticed that if you buy the exact same pair of pants in a few different colors, they never fit the same? Ever. Why?

Why do pants in short length or even petite cost more than regular or long? Same with dresses and skirts.

+1 to the "YOU CAN DO IT"

My longest run before IM was 14 miles. Yeah, it wasn't pretty but I went out with a plan (4:1 run/walk) and I did it. We usually surprise ourselves on race day and accomplish more than we thought possible. DO IT!
2016-07-14 8:54 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by DaveL Oh oh I can play too, now that I can convert Celsius to Fahrenheit. 35c is 95f, When I got back from my run it looked like I went swimming instead of running and I was even taking advantage of the cooler shaded trails. Sticky humid too -> Stumid.

Did the trails help? Sometimes it seems the air gets stuck in there becoming a heat tube.

I think it helps, the sun doesnt reach down to the ground so it doesnt get super heated the way the pavement does. Its also a lot more interesting, I hate running on the road.
2016-07-14 9:19 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I need a pep talk, or maybe some sage words of wisdom. I know the Manatee Chant is DOOOOOO EEEEEET, but I'm hesitant. See, there is a small part of me questioning if I'm actually ready for an Oly distance. I haven't signed up for the race yet....
Its the run I'm worried about. The swim, I'm sure I can do it. The bike...it won't be fast, but I know I can do that, too. But the run...this Zone 2 training has me going so slow, and I wonder if I'll ever get anywhere near 6 miles of long runs before race day. Right now I think I'm a titch over 4 miles. 14 minute miles may be what my heart muscle needs right now, but it certainly isn't what my heart & soul want!
I don't know. I suppose I could always walk it in if it came down to it? I've been looking forward to doing an Oly all summer....maybe this is just doubt. Thoughts?

And on tri clothes: how come the same size doesn't even fit the same across all the colorways? L in the nice "slimming" black shorts from Coeur, and I loved them so much I wanted to get a whole kit. Tried some on at the local tri shop, and found I had to size up top AND bottom to make sure things weren't sheer. What's that about?

You are saying the exact words before signing up for a race that I was saying during my race. After I fell coming out of transition and couldn't run, all I could think was that maybe I shouldn't be doing this distance.

First, before my Avengers HM in November, my coach had me running way under what I thought I needed to be training at. He did have faster runs in there, but all of my long runs were easy to mod. I thought there was no way in heck that I would be able to finish the race let alone get below a 2:10. Not only did I finish, but I was at a 2:08 and could have gone faster if the crowds wouldn't have been there.

You can do the Oly. If you have to do a run/walk then you do a run/walk. Trust the training. It works. My longest bike ever before IM was 72 miles I think. I did the 112. The longest run was 18, but broken up into a 12 mile run in the morning and a 6 mile in the evening. You can do it. Trust it.

Now back to clothes - Have you ever noticed that if you buy the exact same pair of pants in a few different colors, they never fit the same? Ever. Why?

Why do pants in short length or even petite cost more than regular or long? Same with dresses and skirts.

+1 to the "YOU CAN DO IT"

My longest run before IM was 14 miles. Yeah, it wasn't pretty but I went out with a plan (4:1 run/walk) and I did it. We usually surprise ourselves on race day and accomplish more than we thought possible. DO IT!

Do it! Just have a conservative pacing plan. Nothing wrong with a little walking on the run if needed.

2016-07-14 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia I need a pep talk, or maybe some sage words of wisdom. I know the Manatee Chant is DOOOOOO EEEEEET, but I'm hesitant. See, there is a small part of me questioning if I'm actually ready for an Oly distance. I haven't signed up for the race yet.... Its the run I'm worried about. The swim, I'm sure I can do it. The bike...it won't be fast, but I know I can do that, too. But the run...this Zone 2 training has me going so slow, and I wonder if I'll ever get anywhere near 6 miles of long runs before race day. Right now I think I'm a titch over 4 miles. 14 minute miles may be what my heart muscle needs right now, but it certainly isn't what my heart & soul want! I don't know. I suppose I could always walk it in if it came down to it? I've been looking forward to doing an Oly all summer....maybe this is just doubt. Thoughts? And on tri clothes: how come the same size doesn't even fit the same across all the colorways? L in the nice "slimming" black shorts from Coeur, and I loved them so much I wanted to get a whole kit. Tried some on at the local tri shop, and found I had to size up top AND bottom to make sure things weren't sheer. What's that about?
You are saying the exact words before signing up for a race that I was saying during my race. After I fell coming out of transition and couldn't run, all I could think was that maybe I shouldn't be doing this distance. First, before my Avengers HM in November, my coach had me running way under what I thought I needed to be training at. He did have faster runs in there, but all of my long runs were easy to mod. I thought there was no way in heck that I would be able to finish the race let alone get below a 2:10. Not only did I finish, but I was at a 2:08 and could have gone faster if the crowds wouldn't have been there. You can do the Oly. If you have to do a run/walk then you do a run/walk. Trust the training. It works. My longest bike ever before IM was 72 miles I think. I did the 112. The longest run was 18, but broken up into a 12 mile run in the morning and a 6 mile in the evening. You can do it. Trust it. Now back to clothes - Have you ever noticed that if you buy the exact same pair of pants in a few different colors, they never fit the same? Ever. Why? Why do pants in short length or even petite cost more than regular or long? Same with dresses and skirts.

Agreed, you can do the distance no problem.  So, if you've been looking forward to doing an OLY all summer, DOOOO   EEEET!!

I haven't noticed paying more for petites than non-petite, but I pretty much live in Ann Taylor clothes and they don't have a price difference.  What I do hate is paying more to have my clothes dry cleaned then men pay for theirs!!  What's up with that?? 

2016-07-14 9:33 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by QueenZipp

favorite race pic

I cannot even begin to say how much I love this pic!!

yes, great pic!

2016-07-14 9:34 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by fortissimo Tri stuff doesn't run small - what are you guys talking about?!?! hahahaha I wear a medium in most shirts so I ordered the medium size for the Boulder Peak. It is so small that I'll never be able to wear it, which is okay since the race was cancelled. I do love my 2XU Long Distance Tri shorts. Maybe because the medium in these is a bit to big, unlike any other tri shorts I've ever tried. I have tried other styles of the 2XU and they just didn't work for me. Unfortunately they don't make this style anymore. I hate buying regular clothes and buying tri clothes is a nightmare!

All I can add is that I've shopped with TW for clothing more than once. Women's clothing sizing is a mystery to me, like astrophysics or the Dewey Decimal System. S, M, L mean nothing. Unisex sizing is completely useless  My favorite term is "Feel good sizes". 

TW: "I'm not sure, I think I'm an 8 but if it runs small I need a 10 or maybe a 12.  Unless they use feel good sizing, so I might be a 6. Or a 4."

Vanity sizing is the best!  We need that in tri clothing instead of the feel-like-a-big-fat-pig sizing that tri clothing companies seem to have adopted!! 

2016-07-14 9:41 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I know!  Shade versus air movement :-/

2016-07-14 9:46 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Judi - Great pic!

Laura - You've go this! Honestly!  I remember feeling super anxious before my first ever 100 mile ride.  I was anxious almost to the point of tears.  Maija finally said to me that if I could to 75 or preferrably 80% of the distance in my training, I would be GOLDEN come the day of the big ride.  DOOO EEET!!!

2016-07-14 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by jmkizer

I know!  Shade versus air movement :-/

Mountain biking is the answer - it always is.
2016-07-14 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

favorite race pic

I cannot even begin to say how much I love this pic!!

Yeah, where is the dang "Like" button!

The smile is contagious

2016-07-14 10:08 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Katy, Texas
Who watched the tour this morning? Holy crap never seen anything like that! Crazy!
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Vanity sizing is the best!  We need that in tri clothing instead of the feel-like-a-big-fat-pig sizing that tri clothing companies seem to have adopted!! 

Yes times a godzillian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

So true. I have definitive proof that women's clothes have been "downsized" over the past three decades. I was cleaning out closets Tuesday and came across a suit that I clearly remember getting for one of my first jobs (in 1991), which involved teaching English to bankers in Taiwan. The classes were held at the bank, which required everyone (including me) to wear suits in grey, black, or white. It is a US size 8--Mom sent it for me from the US when I couldn't find anything in Taipei that both fit and met the dress code--from a well-known brand. I recall wearing the suit or at least one part of it for a job interview or two in the intervening 25 years. Tried it on to see if it still fit and it did--perfectly. Today, I almost always wear a size 2 in street clothes (including suits of that brand), occasionally a size 4 if a brand runs "small". Neither my weight or my dimensions are substantially different than in 1991. Go figure.

Then there's Vietnam. I am usually XXL, if I can find anything that's long enough.

What's really perplexing is that in my younger days I almost always wore size 10 or 10 1/2 in women's shoes, both running and street shoes. Today it is mostly 9 or 9 1/2, especially for street shoes. There is NO WAY that the feet of someone who's been a distance runner for 37 years could have shrunk. So "feel good sizes" extend to making women think their feet are smaller!

Not on the subject of tri, but I was trying on some dresses (size 2 and 4) at an REI sale a few weeks ago and passed off the size 2 to a quite petite woman who was waiting for it. It was too big for her (it just didn't flatter me--size was okay), and she commented, "I guess I am a zero." Then she stopped and said, "What the h....? How can a person be a ZERO? They would never have a "size zero" in MEN'S clothes." Interesting thought.

2016-07-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
+1 to the "YOU CAN DO IT" My longest run before IM was 14 miles. Yeah, it wasn't pretty but I went out with a plan (4:1 run/walk) and I did it. We usually surprise ourselves on race day and accomplish more than we thought possible. DO IT!
Do it! Just have a conservative pacing plan. Nothing wrong with a little walking on the run if needed.

Another vote for DOOOOO EEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!! You've got the base. What's another couple miles

2016-07-14 10:11 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

This popped up on my computer screen this morning. I thought it might cool everyone down a bit...

(aspen snow run.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
aspen snow run.jpg (225KB - 2 downloads)
2016-07-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: QueenZipp

User image

Pennsylvania

favorite race pic

Look at that big smile, love it!

2016-07-14 10:16 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black Who watched the tour this morning? Holy crap never seen anything like that! Crazy!

I'm on a blackout right now.  Plan to watch tonight.  NO SPOILERS!

2016-07-14 10:17 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by rrrunner

This popped up on my computer screen this morning. I thought it might cool everyone down a bit...

AAAAAAAHHHHHH!  Thanks for the cool down!  I love so many things about summer including the heat to a point (and that point seems to drop the older I get), but dang, the humidity and extra high temps lately are just yucko.

2016-07-14 10:19 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

favorite race pic

Look at that big smile, love it!

I know, nothing says SELL THIS BIKE like that smile.  No, wait....  Huh.

2016-07-14 10:20 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Speaking of sizing woes, my new coach's organization is putting together an order for gear.  Does anyone have any experience with Wattie Ink sizing, men's or women's?  I'm pretty sure I'm already in the market for a men's top, the women's seems ridiculously short.  Not sure about shorts yet.

2016-07-14 10:26 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by melbo55

Speaking of sizing woes, my new coach's organization is putting together an order for gear.  Does anyone have any experience with Wattie Ink sizing, men's or women's?  I'm pretty sure I'm already in the market for a men's top, the women's seems ridiculously short.  Not sure about shorts yet.

See if they can get some fit kit before the order so you can figure out what size you need. They should be able to do that (they always have for my club orders).

Heck, Kiwami is sending me a couple sizes to try before ordering on just a single suit. That's just good customer service.
2016-07-14 10:46 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by Jet Black Who watched the tour this morning? Holy crap never seen anything like that! Crazy!

I'm on a blackout right now.  Plan to watch tonight.  NO SPOILERS!

NO SPOILATION!!!! I caught enough to make me want to see the whole thing. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Part deux Rss Feed  

of 98

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11078 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 21, 2014
author : Tre_bor
comments : 3
The running aspect of an Ironman triathlon is a marathon. Most people take on a marathon as a single event and the training for this uses up a lot of their time. Here are some tips for the run.

date : December 9, 2013
author : Tre_bor
comments : 7
So you want to become an Ironman?! Are you sure...? It's not a light undertaking. I will attempt to help you make it through without making too many rookie mistakes.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.