BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-05-08 6:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)
Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees

May 9-10
Melanie - Leaders on the Go Wine 5K Run/Walk on Saturday
Kate - Dirty Secret Trail Run on Saturday
TJ - ABQ Brew Dash on Saturday
Nancy - Tall Pines double dip (Olympic on Sat/Sprint on Sun)
Yanti - Vietnam 70.3 on Sunday
Tom - Springboro Sprint on Sunday
Tom - Vandalia 5K on May 13 on Wednesday
Mary -  Cross Country Clash #1 on Wednesday

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

P.S.  I hope that I got everyone this week!

GOOOO RACING MANATEEEES!

I hope you get better soon Hands.

Meanwhile, I think you need to start a LAZY LIST and just leave my name at the top of it each week struggling to find any mojo for anything really but especially training. I am missing summer already. I didn't realise how much I enjoy warmth and sunshine, so maybe you northern hemisphere people might like to forgo summer and send it back my way. If not can we just wind back the weather change to March?

Edited by StaceyK 2015-05-08 6:32 PM

2015-05-09 12:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master

Racing Manatees

May 9-10
Melanie - Leaders on the Go Wine 5K Run/Walk on Saturday
Kate - Dirty Secret Trail Run on Saturday
TJ - ABQ Brew Dash on Saturday
Nancy - Tall Pines double dip (Olympic on Sat/Sprint on Sun)
Yanti - Vietnam 70.3 on Sunday
Tom - Springboro Sprint on Sunday
Tom - Vandalia 5K on May 13 on Wednesday
Mary -  Cross Country Clash #1 on Wednesday

Disabled List
Hands - TFL ouchiness

P.S.  I hope that I got everyone this week!

Race smarty, then party! Great group again this week. Must be THAT time of year.  

I know Kate got her race on this morning. Hoping TJ took on hers. Melanie probably isn't wining early in the day, or is she?

Ann-Marie

2015-05-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Just watching the news this morning...hoping all the midwest Manatees are safe!  Man the storms look terrible!

2015-05-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Veteran
Dayton

My race went really well this morning!  I got 12th OA, and 2nd AG (not counting any top three finisher).  Had a good swim, had a really good bike where I averaged 20.8 mph, and had a decent run (my 310XT is not in the picture anymore, so I won't know the run splits).  I took four minutes off of my time from last year.

Pretty pumped that I was able to ride and run so well!

2015-05-10 8:07 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Soooo... did everyone disappear today, or do we have a new thread or something?

2015-05-10 8:08 PM

User image

Master

I was wondering the same thing--Mothers day maybe?

2015-05-10 8:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by IronOx

Something is wrong if the manatees aren't out living it up on the weekends, especially one with a holiday in it!

2015-05-10 9:54 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by ponderingfox

My race went really well this morning!  I got 12th OA, and 2nd AG (not counting any top three finisher).  Had a good swim, had a really good bike where I averaged 20.8 mph, and had a decent run (my 310XT is not in the picture anymore, so I won't know the run splits).  I took four minutes off of my time from last year.

That's great.  Nothing better than putting together solid efforts in all three legs.

2015-05-10 10:06 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by IronOx

I'd guess Mothers day.

Made the ultimate sacrifice by getting up at 6:00 this morning to get my brick done so as not to interfere with the day.  It was really tough to get up that early.  Totally a foreign thing for me.  But I had the roads to myself which was awesome.  It was windy so was a little slower than I wanted but dialed it back a notch from last week and ran really well off the bike. 

2015-05-11 3:38 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Melon Presser

YAAAAAAY RACERS

Heal up well, Hands-Marie.

Congratulations Foxay!!!

Hope everyone who still has a mom / knows a mom / is a mom (human or other animal childs) had a good Mother's Day.

I had a good day, considering. Got to support all the Indonesians (over SEVENTY at this event alone ... seven years ago we had TWO triathletes), meet up with lots of old friends and some BTers, visit Vietnam (which I've never been to), do some pro stalking.

Was in not good (OK, terrible) shape for this event healthwise, weightwise, trainingwise, stresswise, blah blah, so it turned out to be a very nice long training day. Easy swim, easy bike (derailleur & hanger were damaged in transit, so only had the top half of the big ring, ouch!) -- stopped for some seat-post mechanicals myself and then about 20min to help a guy change a complicated flat -- last 20km of bike wasn't marshalled anymore so I was dodging and weaving third world traffic and very slow.

Temp on the run at road level (all on asphalt next to major roadway, none in shade) was between 40-45C (104-113F) at 85% humidity. Everybody was death crawling, I went as fast as I could without overheating but that was about 5.5km/hr maybe 18:00/mile?

Carnage from mechanicals (most of road was OK quality but is a main highway so had a lot of detritus on it) and heat was massive, so I was a very happy DFL (DNF since past the cutoff, but they let me finish -- chief technical official is a good friend of mine so he, the timing crew, and all the finish area volunteers waited for me with big cheers into the finish and kept a shirt, towel and medal, that was so very sweet of them!).

2015-05-11 9:32 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOW great day for Tom - congrats.

Yanti - not so much :/ {{hugs}}

AND it's Monday. Mondays blow.

MY AC isn't working (first world problems) and it may hit 90 today. I'm working from home waiting for the garage repair guy (AC Repair is Wednesday). I have to get the AC fixed FOR THE DOG!

Anyway what's on tap this week? Moderately light training week for me. Duathlon next sunday. My legs have been sluggish and I can't get my pedals to turn over fast enough - coach is looking ahead to the bigger races so this weekend will be interesting!!

but again, it's only Monday.

Happy belated mothers day!!

back to work!

2015-05-11 9:54 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Over the last week I think my 310XT has been dying on me.  I've taken it pool swimming, and I've begun to notice moisture accumulating behind the screen.  After Tuesday's swim there was a lot of moisture behind the screen.  Before tonight's run, it wasn't syncing with my footpod or my HR monitor.  After the run, it's not syncing with the computer.

I just did a hard reset.  We'll see if that will fix the problems.

This stinks because I was on the edge of selling it and upgrading to a 910XT.  I might be doing that anyway now.  I checked to see how much Garmin charges to service the watch, and it's $100.  So, not worth my trouble, because the watch is worth about that, or not much more.

Rats.

How annoying.  Out of curiosity, what have you used the 310 for in the pool?

Even though it doesn't have an indoor pool mode, I hit lap at the end of a set, and I can still figure out my averages.  So I can upload the file and see how I was doing at hitting certain paces. I can do the same-ish with my 30 or 50 lap wrist watch, but I don't get to upload it.

Tom, what problem are you trying to solve?  Swim data upload? Running watch?  Do you also have a 500 for the bike?

Regarding the 310XT, you might try storing it in some rice to remove the water from under the screen.  Then stop using it in the pool.

2015-05-11 9:57 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by popsracer

That's great.  Nothing better than putting together solid efforts in all three legs.

I was looking at the finishing times for the race, and the swim didn't seem right to me.  It was a time trial start, and it looks like they gave everyone's start times based on the first swimmer.  So I emailed one of the main race people.  He was gracious, and recognized that there was a mistake.  He's going to fix it later today.  Woohoo! Not sure if that means I'll get that extra minute, but it would be nice.

2015-05-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

YAAAAAAY RACERS

Heal up well, Hands-Marie.

Congratulations Foxay!!!

Hope everyone who still has a mom / knows a mom / is a mom (human or other animal childs) had a good Mother's Day.

I had a good day, considering. Got to support all the Indonesians (over SEVENTY at this event alone ... seven years ago we had TWO triathletes), meet up with lots of old friends and some BTers, visit Vietnam (which I've never been to), do some pro stalking.

Was in not good (OK, terrible) shape for this event healthwise, weightwise, trainingwise, stresswise, blah blah, so it turned out to be a very nice long training day. Easy swim, easy bike (derailleur & hanger were damaged in transit, so only had the top half of the big ring, ouch!) -- stopped for some seat-post mechanicals myself and then about 20min to help a guy change a complicated flat -- last 20km of bike wasn't marshalled anymore so I was dodging and weaving third world traffic and very slow.

Temp on the run at road level (all on asphalt next to major roadway, none in shade) was between 40-45C (104-113F) at 85% humidity. Everybody was death crawling, I went as fast as I could without overheating but that was about 5.5km/hr maybe 18:00/mile?

Carnage from mechanicals (most of road was OK quality but is a main highway so had a lot of detritus on it) and heat was massive, so I was a very happy DFL (DNF since past the cutoff, but they let me finish -- chief technical official is a good friend of mine so he, the timing crew, and all the finish area volunteers waited for me with big cheers into the finish and kept a shirt, towel and medal, that was so very sweet of them!).

It really sounds like you made the best of it -- making it a training day and supporting your fellow racers.  I must say, those temperatures are not selling me on the event ;-)  Congrats on finishing, albeit unofficially.

How are you feeling today? How'd Kingsley do?  Did the athlete that you helped with the flat end up finishing?

2015-05-11 10:02 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk WOW great day for Tom - congrats. Yanti - not so much :/ {{hugs}} AND it's Monday. Mondays blow. MY AC isn't working (first world problems) and it may hit 90 today. I'm working from home waiting for the garage repair guy (AC Repair is Wednesday). I have to get the AC fixed FOR THE DOG! Anyway what's on tap this week? Moderately light training week for me. Duathlon next sunday. My legs have been sluggish and I can't get my pedals to turn over fast enough - coach is looking ahead to the bigger races so this weekend will be interesting!! but again, it's only Monday. Happy belated mothers day!! back to work!

90 in CT?!  It hasn't been 90 in Raleigh yet this year (tomorrow though...)

Of course you need to have the A/C fixed for the dog.  Duh! 

2015-05-11 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Over the last week I think my 310XT has been dying on me.  I've taken it pool swimming, and I've begun to notice moisture accumulating behind the screen.  After Tuesday's swim there was a lot of moisture behind the screen.  Before tonight's run, it wasn't syncing with my footpod or my HR monitor.  After the run, it's not syncing with the computer.

This stinks because I was on the edge of selling it and upgrading to a 910XT.  I might be doing that anyway now.  I checked to see how much Garmin charges to service the watch, and it's $100.  So, not worth my trouble, because the watch is worth about that, or not much more.

Rats.

Even though it doesn't have an indoor pool mode, I hit lap at the end of a set, and I can still figure out my averages.  So I can upload the file and see how I was doing at hitting certain paces. I can do the same-ish with my 30 or 50 lap wrist watch, but I don't get to upload it.

Tom, what problem are you trying to solve?  Swim data upload? Running watch?  Do you also have a 500 for the bike?

Regarding the 310XT, you might try storing it in some rice to remove the water from under the screen.  Then stop using it in the pool.

Well, two problems that are connected.  1) There is water inside the screen (and unit) that seems to have affected the internals. 2) It's not connecting to anything Ant+.  So my peripherals don't work with it, and I can't sync it to the computer.  Which makes it pretty much useless for getting data off of it.

I did a hard reset for the unit, as well as having it in the sun to try to evaporate the water out of it.  So far it hasn't connected to anything Ant+ yet.

If it can't take water, that makes it a poor triathlon watch. But I could still use it as a running watch.

Other: I do have a 500 for the bike.  So I suppose in the short-term I could run with that, and then change the workout type once it gets into Garmin Connect. But I would like to have something I could use in the pool.  I was just about to sell the 310XT to fund a 910XT. But probably better I didn't sell a unit with problems.  But if I can get it fixed, I can still sell it on Craigslist with caveats.

2015-05-11 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

that's great, congratulations!

2015-05-11 10:18 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rats.

Well, two problems that are connected.  1) There is water inside the screen (and unit) that seems to have affected the internals. 2) It's not connecting to anything Ant+.  So my peripherals don't work with it, and I can't sync it to the computer.  Which makes it pretty much useless for getting data off of it.

I did a hard reset for the unit, as well as having it in the sun to try to evaporate the water out of it.  So far it hasn't connected to anything Ant+ yet.

If it can't take water, that makes it a poor triathlon watch. But I could still use it as a running watch.

Get a bag of rice, put it in a tupperware type container, put the 310XT in the container.  Close the container and leave it alone for a day or two.  If it comes back to life, do a hard reset and see how it goes. 

Please let us know if this brings the watch back to life or not.

Other: I do have a 500 for the bike.  So I suppose in the short-term I could run with that, and then change the workout type once it gets into Garmin Connect. But I would like to have something I could use in the pool.  I was just about to sell the 310XT to fund a 910XT. But probably better I didn't sell a unit with problems.  But if I can get it fixed, I can still sell it on Craigslist with caveats.

Good, the 500 will work with any power meter that you end up getting.

2015-05-11 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk WOW great day for Tom - congrats. Yanti - not so much :/ {{hugs}} AND it's Monday. Mondays blow. MY AC isn't working (first world problems) and it may hit 90 today. I'm working from home waiting for the garage repair guy (AC Repair is Wednesday). I have to get the AC fixed FOR THE DOG! Anyway what's on tap this week? Moderately light training week for me. Duathlon next sunday. My legs have been sluggish and I can't get my pedals to turn over fast enough - coach is looking ahead to the bigger races so this weekend will be interesting!! but again, it's only Monday. Happy belated mothers day!! back to work!

90 in CT?!  It hasn't been 90 in Raleigh yet this year (tomorrow though...)

Of course you need to have the A/C fixed for the dog.  Duh! 

I wish I could say it hasn't been 90 in Orlando, but my pants would catch on fire!  We had a couple days of spring like weather before jumping right back to summer weather.  It's going to be a long 6+ months!!   

2015-05-11 10:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Rats.

Get a bag of rice, put it in a tupperware type container, put the 310XT in the container.  Close the container and leave it alone for a day or two.  If it comes back to life, do a hard reset and see how it goes. 

The thing is that the watch works.  It catches a GPS signal and records a workout.  It just doesn't pick up the podometer, HR, or sync to a computer later.

But I can put it in some rice and see if the Ant+ chip comes back to life.

2015-05-11 10:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Rats.

The thing is that the watch works.  It catches a GPS signal and records a workout.  It just doesn't pick up the podometer, HR, or sync to a computer later.

Master reset (brings you to setup menu)  and resetting up the devices does not work?

2015-05-11 10:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Rats.

Master reset (brings you to setup menu)  and resetting up the devices does not work?

Correct.

2015-05-11 10:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO

+1 for Tom!!  Way to go!!

Yanti, that run sounds completely miserable!!  Good on you for helping out a fellow racer and actually finishing, Ms. Lanterne Rouge!

My race on Wednesday has been cancelled due to a bunch of rain and several  inches of snow(!) over the weekend.  The RD said we'd be running with 5 lbs. of mud caked to our shoes due to all the moisture.  Can't say I'm overly disappointed.  I was kind of dreading the hard hills and I'm hurting a fair bit right now.

After thinking it over, I don't think my body can handle stepping up immediately to 3 double workouts a week.  This week, I'll do one B/S/B and see how it goes.  DH will have the car on Sunday so I'll take advantage of the good weather and ride to and from the rec center for my swim.  After this month, I'll have my Mondays free and I'll be able to go back to training 6 days a week for 8 weeks before the race.  Hopefully that'll be enough.

Edited by laffinrock 2015-05-11 11:47 AM
2015-05-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

+1 for Tom!!  Way to go!!

Yanti, that run sounds completely miserable!!  Good on you for helping out a fellow racer and actually finishing, Ms. Lanterne Rouge!

My race on Wednesday has been cancelled due to a bunch of rain and several  inches of snow(!) over the weekend.  The RD said we'd be running with 5 lbs. of mud caked to our shoes due to all the moisture.  Can't say I'm overly disappointed.  I was kind of dreading the hard hills and I'm hurting a fair bit right now.

After thinking it over, I don't think my body can handle stepping up immediately to 3 double workouts a week.  This week, I'll do one B/S/B and see how it goes.  DH will have the car on Sunday so I'll take advantage of the good weather and ride to and from the rec center for my swim.  After this month, I'll have my Mondays free and I'll be able to go back to training 6 days a week for 8 weeks before the race.  Hopefully that'll be enough.

Springtime in the Rockies . Talked to my mother yesterday and she was having to cover her garden. 

I did the ABQ Brew Dash with DH and DS1 and some friends on Saturday and had a blast.  DH and I cruised at his pace then had beer with the others.  It was nice to get the legs moving in such a casual event.  DS1 busted out a mile in under 10 min so he was pretty stoked about that.

DS2 couldn't get away to call me yesterday but he did post of FB

2015-05-11 12:20 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by StaceyK
Meanwhile, I think you need to start a LAZY LIST and just leave my name at the top of it each week struggling to find any mojo for anything really but especially training. I am missing summer already. I didn't realise how much I enjoy warmth and sunshine, so maybe you northern hemisphere people might like to forgo summer and send it back my way. If not can we just wind back the weather change to March?

Sorry, Stacey, all I have to send you is a variety of rain, snow, and sunny happy days.  Maybe the lack of mojo is telling you it's time to give yourself a bit of a break.  Hang in there, friend, and try not to be too hard on yourself.  (((Hugs)))  Oh yeah, and no lifting 100 lb. puppies!!!

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15885 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 29105 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 12294 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67797 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 56433 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.