BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-10 5:28 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
Originally posted by laffinrock

Proof of life post.  Got back from Louisiana yesterday after 3 hours of sleep the night before.  6 a.m. flights suck.  I slept most of the day yesterday and am back at work today wishing I could stay home today too.  I'm reeling from the experience at the Whitney Plantation of performing music written by slaves and the news that a friend and mentor died on Monday from breast cancer.  I hadn't seen her in awhile so I didn't know that her cancer had come back until I got a message on Saturday that she was dying.  Fortunately, having been gone for 4 days, I'm buried at work so that's providing a good distraction (as is BT ).   I was supposed to see the PT yesterday but I got the time wrong and missed my appointment.  PT is rescheduled for next Thursday and my coach says no official training until I'm cleared to do so, just some walking/light PT exercises/short swim or 2.  Grr.  I'm just a hot mess.

Oh Mary I'm so sorry about your friend. Sending you big {{{{mastiff melon presses}}}}

I hope that work calms down quickly and that your PT goes well.

2015-02-10 5:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Enjoying my last day with DS2. Went to the range then out for bbq and then coffee. Mary it looks like I'll be in Denver this weekend. Maybe we can do dinner or someyhing.Salty DS2 was a preemie and spent the better part of a month in the NICU so I'll be supporting you there.Off to the final dinner with the kid ????

Edited by rrrunner 2015-02-10 5:52 PM
2015-02-10 9:51 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Sorry for my absence everyone!  I have been extremely busy and getting on forums tends to slow down...but I am alive and kicking!  Hope everyone is doing good and improving

I will try and catch up over the next day or....3

2015-02-11 9:13 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by jmkizer

Got a stupid cold 3 weeks out from my first road race.  Have an hour easy scheduled today, and am debating sucking it up and doing it or just letting myself rest another day.  I feel ok...ish, so I could do it no problem.  I'm more concerned about my intervals tomorrow.

If you keep the easy to actually being easy, I think that you might actually feel better after riding.  You'll need to rein it in though.

Yeah I agree. I have found that working out tends to help colds so long as you don't go all out.

3 weeks out is perfect timing. Better now than 3 weeks from now!

Very true.  I do think that some easy cycling probably will help more than hurt.  I usually feel worse if I don't train for a few days.

Speaking from recent experience, maybe do it on the trainer though so if you need to stop to cough up a lung (or some of the green crap that is filling your head) it isn't such a big deal. Also if you do decide after 30 or 45 minutes that is all you can cope with for the day you can stop you don't have to still get home.

I do most of my rides on the trainer during during the week.  I made it through my easy ride fine yesterday, but I have intervals tonight.  I'm going to give it a go.

2015-02-11 9:15 AM
in reply to: Havok

User image

Melon Presser

Hiya, Wreak-Havok! Yeah ... I have my on and off times too.

SALTY -- excellent news on Stevie. I always knew she had a good heart

HAPPYSTONED -- muddy mess. I feel ya. See below.

Manatee friendees, I am EXHAUSTEDPOODLED. There's exhausted, which is merely really tired, but then there's exhaustepoodled, which is a muddy shaggy wet-dog kind of tired.

Kind of like this.

You do NOT want to know what you find when you Google "dirty poodle."

2015-02-11 9:29 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Hey guys, so...to add to my crazy smattering of sports I have been dabbling in I was just recruited to play in a charity hockey game on Feb 21st. It benefits the Ronald McDonald House. Having spent 23 days in the hospital as a newborn, this means a lot of me.

http://rmhchockeychallenge.causevox.com/adrienne-salzwedel

Above is the link to my donation page. 

*I am playing on a Brewery Team, too of course

Ha!  That's pretty awesome.  Not sure if I'd do well with hockey.  I don't see much ice 'round here.

2015-02-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Seattle

Hey guys, so...to add to my crazy smattering of sports I have been dabbling in I was just recruited to play in a charity hockey game on Feb 21st. It benefits the Ronald McDonald House. Having spent 23 days in the hospital as a newborn, this means a lot of me.

Ha!  That's pretty awesome.  Not sure if I'd do well with hockey.  I don't see much ice 'round here.

lol yeah it's not exactly natural here either.

As a child I was sooo incredibly obsessed with hockey, which was very challenging considering I don't live in a big hockey city, state or region. 

2015-02-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
I'm still here too. Have been busy and sick so my exercise log is a bit off. I hope to get to the pool and run today. A couple weeks back I mentioned that I had a good lead on a job. Well the good lead turned into great relief after I accepted their offer for the position. I had been only working part time since October 13 and applying for positions since March 13, I now will be starting Next week. This past weekend was the Father Daughter dance and I took my little girl out and we had lots of fun with our good friends and neighbors who also went.

On the racing front I had a great meeting with the team I will work with to execute 3 Tri Races this year and learned of a new event that they would like me to lead the efforts on. I have also been working with Team RWB to coordinate local events too. Oh I also signed up for the Lottery to do Grandmas Half Marathon. I hope I get in.

In catching up on postings I see a lot of good news and some news that could be better, either way your in my thoughts.

Troy

P.S. So why was DULUTH not in the cities list? It is the #1 Adventure Town!
2015-02-11 11:23 AM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by tcarlson78 I'm still here too. Have been busy and sick so my exercise log is a bit off. I hope to get to the pool and run today. A couple weeks back I mentioned that I had a good lead on a job. Well the good lead turned into great relief after I accepted their offer for the position. I had been only working part time since October 13 and applying for positions since March 13, I now will be starting Next week. This past weekend was the Father Daughter dance and I took my little girl out and we had lots of fun with our good friends and neighbors who also went. On the racing front I had a great meeting with the team I will work with to execute 3 Tri Races this year and learned of a new event that they would like me to lead the efforts on. I have also been working with Team RWB to coordinate local events too. Oh I also signed up for the Lottery to do Grandmas Half Marathon. I hope I get in. In catching up on postings I see a lot of good news and some news that could be better, either way your in my thoughts. Troy P.S. So why was DULUTH not in the cities list? It is the #1 Adventure Town!

Awesome stuff!

Is the grandmas half done at the same time as the full? That's a very good and competitive marathon for sure. 

2015-02-11 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

lol yeah it's not exactly natural here either.

As a child I was sooo incredibly obsessed with hockey, which was very challenging considering I don't live in a big hockey city, state or region. 

What is this game of Hockey you speak of?
2015-02-11 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake

Originally posted by tcarlson78 I'm still here too. Have been busy and sick so my exercise log is a bit off. I hope to get to the pool and run today. A couple weeks back I mentioned that I had a good lead on a job. Well the good lead turned into great relief after I accepted their offer for the position. I had been only working part time since October 13 and applying for positions since March 13, I now will be starting Next week. This past weekend was the Father Daughter dance and I took my little girl out and we had lots of fun with our good friends and neighbors who also went. On the racing front I had a great meeting with the team I will work with to execute 3 Tri Races this year and learned of a new event that they would like me to lead the efforts on. I have also been working with Team RWB to coordinate local events too. Oh I also signed up for the Lottery to do Grandmas Half Marathon. I hope I get in. In catching up on postings I see a lot of good news and some news that could be better, either way your in my thoughts. Troy P.S. So why was DULUTH not in the cities list? It is the #1 Adventure Town!

Awesome stuff!

Is the grandmas half done at the same time as the full? That's a very good and competitive marathon for sure. 

Yes, the half is on the same course. Its an OH my gosh early bus ride to the start and we go about 45 min before the Marathon. The course is beautiful running down the North Shore of Lake Superior and through Duluth, and Finishing in Canal Park by our iconic lift bridge. Last year it was cool and Foggy, good for running but not so much to enjoy the views. Im going to call it right now. The race will be sunny with morning temps in the Mid 50s and calm./

2015-02-11 11:39 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Congrats on the new job, Troy!!  DH has a 2nd interview (well, 2 actually) tomorrow and is pretty excited about it.  So sweet that you and your daughter went to the dance.  I love hearing about dads who do that kind of stuff.  Glad you've gotten connected with Team RWB.  Sounds like it's a really good fit for you.  As for Grandma's, hope you get in and the weather cooperates!!  And seriously, what's with Duluth getting left off the list?!  Who wouldn't love all the snow, cold, and mosquitoes?   Seriously, though, I've been there and it's a pretty neat place.

2015-02-11 12:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by tcarlson78

Awesome stuff!

Yes, the half is on the same course. Its an OH my gosh early bus ride to the start and we go about 45 min before the Marathon. The course is beautiful running down the North Shore of Lake Superior and through Duluth, and Finishing in Canal Park by our iconic lift bridge. Last year it was cool and Foggy, good for running but not so much to enjoy the views. Im going to call it right now. The race will be sunny with morning temps in the Mid 50s and calm./

That race is definitely in a good location for some nice views!

2015-02-11 12:39 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by brigby1

Awesome stuff!

My brain isn't working all that great towards the end of a marathon. Maybe it would be best seen during the half

2015-02-11 12:47 PM

Master
Northern IL

Awesome stuff!

My brain isn't working all that great towards the end of a marathon. Maybe it would be best seen during the half

Ha! I had just found the course on Strava. Point to point for both races, so the marathon starts farther up the way. Looks to be slightly off the lake at first, but still close. The half looks to be entirely right along the lakeshore until like mile 11 where it goes downtown. I see why it's popular for a PR race as well, very flat.

2015-02-11 12:59 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle

Awesome stuff!

Ha! I had just found the course on Strava. Point to point for both races, so the marathon starts farther up the way. Looks to be slightly off the lake at first, but still close. The half looks to be entirely right along the lakeshore until like mile 11 where it goes downtown. I see why it's popular for a PR race as well, very flat.

Yeah, that is what I hear.

My teammates looking to qualify for trails seem to use Grandmas, Twin Cities, Chicago and Cal International as they are all excellent courses.

I LOVED Cal International and kind of want to go back but there are just so many great marathons I would like to try. Chi doesn't really interest me but Grandmas and Twin Cities might. I would also love to run London but it sounds like a nightmare to get into if you are not local. 

2015-02-11 1:34 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Acid.

blech.

I've developed acid issues in the last several weeks to the point where I have an endoscopy scheduled at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure that riding so much on the trainer in aero is the root cause - but I just can't seem to get it under control. I've searched the forums and this doesn't seem that uncommon. Anyone here have that?

In general my diet has very little acid in it - no chocolate, no alcohol, very little soda and only 1 16oz cups of tea a day.

If I can't have tea anymore.......grumble.

/and rant
2015-02-11 5:02 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Acid. blech. I've developed acid issues in the last several weeks to the point where I have an endoscopy scheduled at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure that riding so much on the trainer in aero is the root cause - but I just can't seem to get it under control. I've searched the forums and this doesn't seem that uncommon. Anyone here have that? In general my diet has very little acid in it - no chocolate, no alcohol, very little soda and only 1 16oz cups of tea a day. If I can't have tea anymore.......grumble. /and rant

Are your acid issues during or shortly after your trainer sessions?  What are you drinking during your sessions?  If I am pushing hard sometimes I'll get very burpy if I drink anything other than water or G2.  When in aero, especially on the trainer, not so much on the road, makes it much worse.  Because of this and abdominal pain from past surgeries in that region, I rarely ride in aero on the trainer.  I find that as long as I get some aero sessions in on the road I'm fine in my races.  Hope you get it figured out.

2015-02-11 5:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Acid.

blech.

I've developed acid issues in the last several weeks to the point where I have an endoscopy scheduled at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure that riding so much on the trainer in aero is the root cause - but I just can't seem to get it under control. I've searched the forums and this doesn't seem that uncommon. Anyone here have that?

In general my diet has very little acid in it - no chocolate, no alcohol, very little soda and only 1 16oz cups of tea a day.

If I can't have tea anymore.......grumble.

/and rant
Hi Randee try some of this http://www.martinandpleasance.com/products/silica-cleanser-conditio...

Phil gets really bad acid reflux as a result of pyloric stenosis surgery as a baby. Taking 4 of these a day has stopped it totally. They shouldn't be hard to find over there, in Australia you can get them at most health food stores and some pharmacies. The first place I would try is Walgreens or online.
2015-02-11 7:21 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Thanks Yanti!  Busy busy busy busy O.O

I had a lot of acid reflux problems growing up...always had stomach aches but luckily grew out of it mostly.  Spicy food gets me occasionally, which sucks because I LOVE SPICY FOOD!  The pain is worth it haha

Managed a new swim record today!!! Previously it was 600 meters, and today for whatever reason my form came together and I was doing 50-100m spurts adding up to a grand total of 1,150m! 

2015-02-11 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Originally posted by Havok

I had a lot of acid reflux problems growing up...always had stomach aches but luckily grew out of it mostly.  Spicy food gets me occasionally, which sucks because I LOVE SPICY FOOD!  The pain is worth it haha

Managed a new swim record today!!! Previously it was 600 meters, and today for whatever reason my form came together and I was doing 50-100m spurts adding up to a grand total of 1,150m! 

Way to GO!! Keep up the good work.

2015-02-11 11:09 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by mtnbikerchkAcid.blech.I've developed acid issues in the last several weeks to the point where I have an endoscopy scheduled at the end of the month. I'm pretty sure that riding so much on the trainer in aero is the root cause - but I just can't seem to get it under control. I've searched the forums and this doesn't seem that uncommon. Anyone here have that?In general my diet has very little acid in it - no chocolate, no alcohol, very little soda and only 1 16oz cups of tea a day.If I can't have tea anymore.......grumble./and rant
I had my gallbladder taken out and had lots of issues with acid before it progressed,worse. Went through the whole endoscopy/colonoscopy/swallowing study thing. GI doc found nothing. Ended up in the ER 6 months later with terrible stomach pain and a scarred gallbladder.I hope that's not the route it takes. Acid can be a really annoying problem.
2015-02-11 11:40 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Havok

Well, that's just all kinds of awesome

2015-02-12 12:15 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

Looks like I have a couple of RRs to read. Nice running last weekend! (even if you are being hard on yourself, Chris )

Adrienne- yay! on Stevie and hockey.

Troy and Jen- Woot-woot on the upcoming races

Jo and Mary- boo on the sick friends. That sucks :/

Yanti and Monica- hang in there with the crazy baby animals!

Hope one and all had a great Wednesday. I got in a run AND a road ride today. Wheee.... I'm ignoring how slow they were and basking in the happy feeling of being able to do them.

2015-02-12 8:08 AM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Yuck -9 this morning, and the wind is going to pick up today too. I like winter but not when it hurts to breath.

My dogs even looked up at me this morning when going out for their morning sniff and patrol with a "Really Human, you want me to go out there" look.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55372 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.