BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 102

2017-07-04 5:01 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by amd723

i had a weird thing- I think, happen with my strava-Garmin connection and wonder if anyone has had it happen or and or knows why it happened or even can happen. Rode my bike today, Garmin and strava do not agree with the distance and time. Strava shorted it.  How can that be when Strava gets its info from Garmin?? It wasnt an insignificant amount either, 41.8 v 43.3.  

I don't know why, but Strava tends to round down my up dates from both my watch and my bike computer.

I've noticed how Strava will truncate values too. 9.99 is not a 10 mile run. It'll say 9.9. You have to clear it to say you did it, little motivation there without that small rounding to help. What hands saw is just odd though as this doesn't explain that.

yes, I knew strava did a bit of rounding, but that particular ride was way more than rounding!!  Oh well, I guess I'll just put it down in the first world problems category!  

2017-07-04 7:33 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Blanda
Originally posted by Hot Runner Proof of life (I think....I'm alive????) Hard day at the office at CDA 70.3 today. Had no idea how brutal the bike course was until we drove it yesterday. OMG it made Calgary look easy! The upshot was I had an okay swim, slow bike, and decent run (until I cramped at 9 1/2 miles, almost exactly the same place it happened at Calgary last year despite trying to not do what I thought might have triggered it there). My AG was crazy competitive--first place was 5:10! I ended up 13th in AG. Ugh. Much bigger field than most of the races I do. But at 5:31:02 about 14-15 minutes off my best time, mostly due to the bike. Since last September, I've only ridden Rover (tri bike) outside on a hilly course once (last week), and done a few outdoor rides on my road bike at the training camp in Thailand in February. I think training-wise just wasn't ready for the bike course today. I cramped horribly for about the last 15 miles of the bike, managed to get over it by about 3-4 km on the run, but then cramped again on the run between 9 and 10 miles. Ugh--was hoping to do my best run split (sub-1:43) up to that point; it ended up 1:46, which was good enough for 4th in AG. Altogether not too happy with my race, but I gave it absolutely everything I had today, given the cramping situation--very close to walking over the finish line. I doubt the 10:43/mile pace for the last 200m on the tracker (out of an average of 8:07) was wrong--it felt like 20:43! Beautiful race course and great community support, but not sure I'd try to do this event again directly off of 99% of my bike training on the trainer!
Holy smokes! Sounds like a tough day at the office. Congratulations on soldiering through for a solid finish, even if it's not your desired time. I'm inspired! Stacey: Glad you're still on the mend and able to get a run in! Take good care of yourself. Dave: Hello, and good luck with training for your upcoming Oly! Happy belated birthdays, Chris and Robin! Chris, so bummed for you. Make up for it when you're feeling better! Thank you all for the needed luck. The sprint was as challenging as I expected for the swim and the run. The current was so bossy, and I totally forgot that I had not had more than two swims in preparation for it. I tried to keep up with the the swimmers ahead of me and ended up having a moment of anxiety. Just a moment, as I quickly talked myself back into a calmer pace, and brought my heart rate back down. I was close to turning over on my back though. Physically I can handle the swim, but it really comes down to keeping the breathing and the body in sync for me. So, that was fun, haha! No idea how long it took me because I didn't start my watch. Ai. The bike was fun. It's a loop so you get to see all your friends at least twice to cheer them on. I felt fine and finished the 12ish miles in 41ish minutes. I would go as hard as I could, then totally back off remembering that I was going to have to gimp the run. Head wind was cray for half the 4 mile loop. I was able to pass a few on the bike, but hello! They reclaimed their position ahead of me on the run. Yikes. The run I knew was going to be slow going. I was very careful to not overstride the right leg as the hammy was still resistant. 33ish minutes of that. Not horrible, not the funnest as I watched everyone pass me. Overall it was tough, but fun. It was a great refresher race as it's been a while since I've participated in a tri. Gave me some motivation to train, especially the swim part, for the Oly next month. Hope your week's off to a great start and you've had some good workouts, whatever kind you got it!
Great job, Blanda!

Thanks, Robin!

Kirsten: Snowshoeing sounds neat! Actually, anything done is snow is fascinating to this island girl.

Stacey: Good work! Man, I've done a couple full marathons, but at this moment I cannot imagine running that long. Sorry about the blisters! Hope they heal up real quick. Bummer K didn't make it!

Ann-Marie: I've seen a few times there was a difference in data between the Garmin and Strava, but never that much! That is odd.

Tom: Yay new bike!!

So, I lied. I did swim last week! Yay! Got in a swim today, as well. Regular mermaid, yo! Excited to report that I also got a run it that wasn't too awful. The hamstring issue is still kinda there, but it's not forcing me to change my form/stride anymore. This is a relief.

Man, oh man, am I the slowest swimmer ever. Is there anything I can read or watch that can help me with this? I know that more swimming will help, but I swear if I didn't move my arms and legs I'd sink like a brick. I feel soooo heavy in the water! Oh, and anywhere I can snag some swim workouts?
2017-07-05 9:44 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Denver, Colorado
Blanda,
what improved my swim was the 50x50. Basically, you just repeat 50 yards (or meters). After each 50 you take few seconds/few breaths of rest. I went from 2:30 per 100 to 1:50 per 100 in a pool.
2017-07-05 9:46 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

July 1-2
Stacey - Gold Coast Marathon (A Race)  on Sunday (first marathon!)
Robin P - The Bear on Thurdsay (part of Highland Games at Grandfather Mountain)

July 3 is Adam's birthday

Is anyone else racing?

Stacey, have fun this weekend!  Be smarter than Yanti!

I made it!

Did pretty much all the way with my mum, which was great cause we got each other through. It was pretty hot in the second half of the race.

I started to get blisters on the balls of my feet at the 16k mark. By 25k my feet were on fire. We walked from the 27k mark cause I just couldn't run any further. So we made it in about 6:20, slow but we finished. Unfortunately I now have blisters that are about 2" round on the balls of my feet as well as smaller ones on my toes - Yanti I'm not as bad as Kingsley I can walk kind of.

K didn't drink energy enough and got to the 19k mark. E finished in 4:20 or there abouts.

I was thinking about you over the weekend, I am so happy for you!!! Fantastic job! How are you feeling today?
2017-07-05 10:00 AM
in reply to: Blanda

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by Hot Runner Proof of life (I think....I'm alive????) Hard day at the office at CDA 70.3 today. Had no idea how brutal the bike course was until we drove it yesterday. OMG it made Calgary look easy! The upshot was I had an okay swim, slow bike, and decent run (until I cramped at 9 1/2 miles, almost exactly the same place it happened at Calgary last year despite trying to not do what I thought might have triggered it there). My AG was crazy competitive--first place was 5:10! I ended up 13th in AG. Ugh. Much bigger field than most of the races I do. But at 5:31:02 about 14-15 minutes off my best time, mostly due to the bike. Since last September, I've only ridden Rover (tri bike) outside on a hilly course once (last week), and done a few outdoor rides on my road bike at the training camp in Thailand in February. I think training-wise just wasn't ready for the bike course today. I cramped horribly for about the last 15 miles of the bike, managed to get over it by about 3-4 km on the run, but then cramped again on the run between 9 and 10 miles. Ugh--was hoping to do my best run split (sub-1:43) up to that point; it ended up 1:46, which was good enough for 4th in AG. Altogether not too happy with my race, but I gave it absolutely everything I had today, given the cramping situation--very close to walking over the finish line. I doubt the 10:43/mile pace for the last 200m on the tracker (out of an average of 8:07) was wrong--it felt like 20:43! Beautiful race course and great community support, but not sure I'd try to do this event again directly off of 99% of my bike training on the trainer!
Holy smokes! Sounds like a tough day at the office. Congratulations on soldiering through for a solid finish, even if it's not your desired time. I'm inspired! Stacey: Glad you're still on the mend and able to get a run in! Take good care of yourself. Dave: Hello, and good luck with training for your upcoming Oly! Happy belated birthdays, Chris and Robin! Chris, so bummed for you. Make up for it when you're feeling better! Thank you all for the needed luck. The sprint was as challenging as I expected for the swim and the run. The current was so bossy, and I totally forgot that I had not had more than two swims in preparation for it. I tried to keep up with the the swimmers ahead of me and ended up having a moment of anxiety. Just a moment, as I quickly talked myself back into a calmer pace, and brought my heart rate back down. I was close to turning over on my back though. Physically I can handle the swim, but it really comes down to keeping the breathing and the body in sync for me. So, that was fun, haha! No idea how long it took me because I didn't start my watch. Ai. The bike was fun. It's a loop so you get to see all your friends at least twice to cheer them on. I felt fine and finished the 12ish miles in 41ish minutes. I would go as hard as I could, then totally back off remembering that I was going to have to gimp the run. Head wind was cray for half the 4 mile loop. I was able to pass a few on the bike, but hello! They reclaimed their position ahead of me on the run. Yikes. The run I knew was going to be slow going. I was very careful to not overstride the right leg as the hammy was still resistant. 33ish minutes of that. Not horrible, not the funnest as I watched everyone pass me. Overall it was tough, but fun. It was a great refresher race as it's been a while since I've participated in a tri. Gave me some motivation to train, especially the swim part, for the Oly next month. Hope your week's off to a great start and you've had some good workouts, whatever kind you got it!
Great job, Blanda!

Thanks, Robin! Kirsten: Snowshoeing sounds neat! Actually, anything done is snow is fascinating to this island girl. Stacey: Good work! Man, I've done a couple full marathons, but at this moment I cannot imagine running that long. Sorry about the blisters! Hope they heal up real quick. Bummer K didn't make it! Ann-Marie: I've seen a few times there was a difference in data between the Garmin and Strava, but never that much! That is odd. Tom: Yay new bike!! So, I lied. I did swim last week! Yay! Got in a swim today, as well. Regular mermaid, yo! Excited to report that I also got a run it that wasn't too awful. The hamstring issue is still kinda there, but it's not forcing me to change my form/stride anymore. This is a relief. Man, oh man, am I the slowest swimmer ever. Is there anything I can read or watch that can help me with this? I know that more swimming will help, but I swear if I didn't move my arms and legs I'd sink like a brick. I feel soooo heavy in the water! Oh, and anywhere I can snag some swim workouts?

I don't think she is updating her web page anymore, but Sara McClarty has a whole bunch of workouts here  There are multiple years of workouts linked and each day  has  an A,B, or C option.  So, you should find something to keep you in the pool!.

2017-07-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by tomsimper

Originally posted by tomsimper So excited just ordered my new bike and can't wait for it to arrive! Can't wait to get back to riding on the road again!

Yay!  What are you getting?

Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 in bright orange so hopefully no other car will not spot me on the road and drive into me

Just googled it - great looking bike! Hope you enjoy it and it keeps you safe.

Re strava/garmin, I've noticed some very small discrepancies with my watch too, which is a Suunto. Nothing worse that pushing hard to get to, say, 5 miles only to have Strava show it as 4.98 later. My watch uses 1 second GPS updates and my working theory is that not every single update pushes over, maybe just a sampling. That's a deeply uninformed theory though

2017-07-05 10:18 AM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tomsimper

Originally posted by tomsimper So excited just ordered my new bike and can't wait for it to arrive! Can't wait to get back to riding on the road again!

Yay!  What are you getting?

Planet X Pro Carbon Shimano Ultegra 6800 in bright orange so hopefully no other car will not spot me on the road and drive into me

Sounds like a great new ride!  We'll need pics, of course.

2017-07-05 8:26 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Originally posted by marysia83

Blanda,
what improved my swim was the 50x50. Basically, you just repeat 50 yards (or meters). After each 50 you take few seconds/few breaths of rest. I went from 2:30 per 100 to 1:50 per 100 in a pool.
[/QUOTE

Thank you! Are you going pretty hard on these 50's?

Ann-Marie, thanks SO much for that link. I'm terrible at putting a workout together.

Got another run in the morning. Yee haw!

Hope you're all having a good week and enjoying some physical activity!
2017-07-06 7:19 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Blanda, what improved my swim was the 50x50. Basically, you just repeat 50 yards (or meters). After each 50 you take few seconds/few breaths of rest. I went from 2:30 per 100 to 1:50 per 100 in a pool.
Thank you! Are you going pretty hard on these 50's? Ann-Marie, thanks SO much for that link. I'm terrible at putting a workout together. Got another run in the morning. Yee haw! Hope you're all having a good week and enjoying some physical activity!

Yes, move along fairly quick* on the 50's. There are a few ways to get through it, but generally all will be hitting a consistently quick pace throughout, not fading off on the later ones.

And it is helpful to have a bunch of workouts handy. So much else to give your attention to in swimming!

* I think more in terms such as "quick" here instead of hard as the emphasis is more on learning how to do it. It'll likely end up resulting in a decent amount of effort, but the goal is more in the how to go fast with the effort level being a bit more secondary thought (though definitely not nonexistent thought). The how can be a bit comprehensive here, including aspects like numerous positioning aspects, timing, and range of motion development. This is what you'll be emphasizing more, and doing so while being at a decent effort.

Edited by brigby1 2017-07-06 7:29 AM
2017-07-06 9:11 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by marysia83 Blanda, what improved my swim was the 50x50. Basically, you just repeat 50 yards (or meters). After each 50 you take few seconds/few breaths of rest. I went from 2:30 per 100 to 1:50 per 100 in a pool.
Thank you! Are you going pretty hard on these 50's? Ann-Marie, thanks SO much for that link. I'm terrible at putting a workout together. Got another run in the morning. Yee haw! Hope you're all having a good week and enjoying some physical activity!

Yes, move along fairly quick* on the 50's. There are a few ways to get through it, but generally all will be hitting a consistently quick pace throughout, not fading off on the later ones.

And it is helpful to have a bunch of workouts handy. So much else to give your attention to in swimming!

* I think more in terms such as "quick" here instead of hard as the emphasis is more on learning how to do it. It'll likely end up resulting in a decent amount of effort, but the goal is more in the how to go fast with the effort level being a bit more secondary thought (though definitely not nonexistent thought). The how can be a bit comprehensive here, including aspects like numerous positioning aspects, timing, and range of motion development. This is what you'll be emphasizing more, and doing so while being at a decent effort.

I say I do push hard for those 50s, yes. You don't really feel getting tired, since it is only the 50, but you will feel the workout once you complete 15 or 20 of those and get out of the pool
Since I've started doing 50x50 (although, the max I did was maybe 30-something...) I have never done longer swim than 200, and I was able to finish Oly swim very strongly, and without any issues.
2017-07-06 12:19 PM

Master
Northern IL

I say I do push hard for those 50s, yes. You don't really feel getting tired, since it is only the 50, but you will feel the workout once you complete 15 or 20 of those and get out of the pool Since I've started doing 50x50 (although, the max I did was maybe 30-something...) I have never done longer swim than 200, and I was able to finish Oly swim very strongly, and without any issues.

That's a good observation to bring up in the second part. Swimming long is overrated. Swim a lot. The little breaks don't bring you all the way back to the start of the workout. And at 2500, a 50 x 50 set is longer than anything except an IM. Mid 30's x 50 is still ~1700-1800, or about an Oly swim.

2017-07-06 1:58 PM

User image

I say I do push hard for those 50s, yes. You don't really feel getting tired, since it is only the 50, but you will feel the workout once you complete 15 or 20 of those and get out of the pool Since I've started doing 50x50 (although, the max I did was maybe 30-something...) I have never done longer swim than 200, and I was able to finish Oly swim very strongly, and without any issues.

That's a good observation to bring up in the second part. Swimming long is overrated. Swim a lot. The little breaks don't bring you all the way back to the start of the workout. And at 2500, a 50 x 50 set is longer than anything except an IM. Mid 30's x 50 is still ~1700-1800, or about an Oly swim.

I'm not sure how you think just doing 50's will get you in good Olympic swim shape. I feel a lot more exhausted after swimming longer sets vs just doing shorter ones and after all there are no breaks in an Olympic swim. I agree that for form/technique it's easier to get it right just doing 50's or 100's but just like biking and running, personally I feel I need some long sets to build endurance.
2017-07-06 2:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by TXTriRook

I'm not sure how you think just doing 50's will get you in good Olympic swim shape. I feel a lot more exhausted after swimming longer sets vs just doing shorter ones and after all there are no breaks in an Olympic swim. I agree that for form/technique it's easier to get it right just doing 50's or 100's but just like biking and running, personally I feel I need some long sets to build endurance.

I started doing it after reading plenty of advice on this forum about doing more shorter sets, rather than one very long one. The idea is that when you repeat shorter sets, you maintain your form and do not *learn* or get used to bad habits. When you do one very long set, at some point you get tired and your form gets worse.

Probably if you're going for a podium and you are under 1:30 per 100, you will have completely different training than 50x50. But for finishing strong, at least from my experience, this is just enough. I completed Oly last year and I did not swim longer set than 200. Not even for a moment I felt tired, I had my endurance until the very last meter. My time was not impressive, but not due to performance, but other obstacles (very crowded race at the beginning and the girl who kept pushing me to the other side).

This year I continue the same training and already swam 1,200 in open water with no problem. Again, my goal is to feel good and not beat the record, so that depends on individual approach and training.

PS I want to add that I also stalked long-distance swimmers, including Yanti, and her training log, and even before her 10K she only did repetition of short ones, so I guess there must be something

Edited by marysia83 2017-07-06 2:51 PM
2017-07-06 3:10 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TXTriRook  I'm not sure how you think just doing 50's will get you in good Olympic swim shape. I feel a lot more exhausted after swimming longer sets vs just doing shorter ones and after all there are no breaks in an Olympic swim. I agree that for form/technique it's easier to get it right just doing 50's or 100's but just like biking and running, personally I feel I need some long sets to build endurance.

Careful there, you're putting words in people's mouths and creating some strawman arguments.

It won't be "just" 50's every time, but a multitude of intervals, generally 200 or less. I've done lots of everything in that range except 175, and 125's would only fit in as "some". (those are weird to keep track of)

There was no stipulation about never ever swimming longer, just that it's been done (kept short) and done well with it. My statement was going long was overrated. That does not equate to no value whatsoever.

It's vital to learn how to swim well. Equating that with being gentle and delicate in the water is not at all what's being said. These short interval workouts can be (and generally should be) brutal to get through. Not so much to beat yourself up, but because trying to go faster is a good way to learn how to go faster. Read through some of this when you get a chance. Note that those are long course athletes doing lots of 50's for their main sets.

Optimizing is also something that gets overrated, and here refers to optimizing for a specific race or distance. Note, that still doesn't mean of no value. Much of the time for swim training should be spent making yourself as fast as possible. It should only take a few swims leading into the event to really get used to whatever it is you're doing. I've seen "some" come up before in other discussions, but it turns out to be something like weekly. Way too much for someone swimming 1-3x a week. Get faster first. Develop something to optimize.

2017-07-06 3:40 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Just booked Tri Bike Transport

80 days

2017-07-06 4:05 PM

User image

Originally posted by TXTriRook  I'm not sure how you think just doing 50's will get you in good Olympic swim shape. I feel a lot more exhausted after swimming longer sets vs just doing shorter ones and after all there are no breaks in an Olympic swim. I agree that for form/technique it's easier to get it right just doing 50's or 100's but just like biking and running, personally I feel I need some long sets to build endurance.

Careful there, you're putting words in people's mouths and creating some strawman arguments.

It won't be "just" 50's every time, but a multitude of intervals, generally 200 or less. I've done lots of everything in that range except 175, and 125's would only fit in as "some". (those are weird to keep track of)

There was no stipulation about never ever swimming longer, just that it's been done (kept short) and done well with it. My statement was going long was overrated. That does not equate to no value whatsoever.

It's vital to learn how to swim well. Equating that with being gentle and delicate in the water is not at all what's being said. These short interval workouts can be (and generally should be) brutal to get through. Not so much to beat yourself up, but because trying to go faster is a good way to learn how to go faster. Read through some of this when you get a chance. Note that those are long course athletes doing lots of 50's for their main sets.

Optimizing is also something that gets overrated, and here refers to optimizing for a specific race or distance. Note, that still doesn't mean of no value. Much of the time for swim training should be spent making yourself as fast as possible. It should only take a few swims leading into the event to really get used to whatever it is you're doing. I've seen "some" come up before in other discussions, but it turns out to be something like weekly. Way too much for someone swimming 1-3x a week. Get faster first. Develop something to optimize.

Good read, thanks for sharing. Didn't mean to offend, just catching up on the thread here and was getting the impression that 50's was the way to a successful Olympic swim. As an adult onset and very mediocre (probably bad but I'll call it mediocre) swimmer myself, I've found that swimming a mix of long and short has worked the best for me both to build form and strength but also endurance.

2017-07-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner

80 days

Woo hoo!

2017-07-06 4:19 PM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by TXTriRook

Good read, thanks for sharing. Didn't mean to offend, just catching up on the thread here and was getting the impression that 50's was the way to a successful Olympic swim. As an adult onset and very mediocre (probably bad but I'll call it mediocre) swimmer myself, I've found that swimming a mix of long and short has worked the best for me both to build form and strength but also endurance.

I think each of us have their favorite training methods, and things that work best for us, and our individual goals. And it's good to share those things, as there is always a room for improvement
2017-07-06 4:26 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Sorry for coming back to this once more.... But I need moral support...
So this Saturday will be my first trail run. I did some reading on couple of runners' forums and most people said it's crazy difficult. So I basically am jumping straight into a very deep waters.
My co-worker, marathon runner, told me as long as I feel ready for a regular HM distance, I should be fine, just take it slow and careful. I am also repeating Ben's earlier advice. Watch for roots, watch for rocks/stones, take it easy going downhill....

Attached is the elevation that scares the sh$%^& out of me, but my approach is to just take it slow and not think about the pace/speed. Anything else anyone wants to add...?
I will have regular running shoes, nothing trail-specific.

(DWD elevation.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
DWD elevation.JPG (31KB - 3 downloads)
2017-07-06 5:06 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Originally posted by rrrunner

80 days

How can a time frame seem so far out and so short all at the same time? 

2017-07-06 5:13 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by marysia83 Sorry for coming back to this once more.... But I need moral support... So this Saturday will be my first trail run. I did some reading on couple of runners' forums and most people said it's crazy difficult. So I basically am jumping straight into a very deep waters. My co-worker, marathon runner, told me as long as I feel ready for a regular HM distance, I should be fine, just take it slow and careful. I am also repeating Ben's earlier advice. Watch for roots, watch for rocks/stones, take it easy going downhill.... Attached is the elevation that scares the sh$%^& out of me, but my approach is to just take it slow and not think about the pace/speed. Anything else anyone wants to add...? I will have regular running shoes, nothing trail-specific.

Looks like fun!  The only advice I can give is based on my one and only trail race (and a 13km trail run this morning....).  It was a 30km race and I figured "oh just a bit more than a HM".  Turns out it was more like "just a bit less than a full marathon".  I went way too fast up the uphills....  Looking at that graph, I would take it really easy until 8 miles, then give what I had left.  Be careful of interfaces of shadow and light if it is sunny--super easy to misjudge rocks and roots.  Use gravity on the downhills and don't try to 'brake' too much--but don't get crazy either .  Have fun!

2017-07-06 7:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

Sorry for coming back to this once more.... But I need moral support...
So this Saturday will be my first trail run. I did some reading on couple of runners' forums and most people said it's crazy difficult. So I basically am jumping straight into a very deep waters.
My co-worker, marathon runner, told me as long as I feel ready for a regular HM distance, I should be fine, just take it slow and careful. I am also repeating Ben's earlier advice. Watch for roots, watch for rocks/stones, take it easy going downhill....

Attached is the elevation that scares the sh$%^& out of me, but my approach is to just take it slow and not think about the pace/speed. Anything else anyone wants to add...?
I will have regular running shoes, nothing trail-specific.

you are right to not think about pace. There are too many variables in trail running that pace numbers are almost meaningless. I would treat that first bit of the race as a warm up - seriously easy. The first "hill" is where the race starts but I would still take it easy as I am sure that it will take a lot out of even the best runner. I think "I will survive" would be a good mantra through the first and subsequent purple hills. From there its probably just hanging on to jello legs and looking forward to the finish. One thing is probably certain you will have a great sense of accomplishment when finishing that run.

As for shoes I would say you will be fine, trail shoes are nice as they have better grip and a hard shank but I have done plenty of trail runs on regular shoes, five fingers and merrel true gloves
2017-07-06 7:21 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Swimming long- just to add my 2 bits and a question. I see value in the long swim but mostly from the mental side of things. Knowing that I can "go the distance" puts my mind at ease and help me relax when I get out there.

Also a question - When doing open water swims what are people doing? Is it the aforementioned 'long swim' or is this broken into sets somehow?
2017-07-06 7:30 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Expert
Deep tissue massage today. Oooh it hurt so good.
2017-07-06 7:41 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella Deep tissue massage today. Oooh it hurt so good.

me too!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » More Manatee Mayhem - 2017 Edition - Closed Rss Feed  

of 102