BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 100

2015-02-12 10:51 PM
in reply to: tcarlson78

User image

Expert
Next to a big lake
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?)
OK, I have a JEEP question (Just Educated Enough to Pass) how do I add events I am doing to my profile?

2015-02-12 11:24 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by Jet Black ....First, the zoots were way too small. Ordered 11.5, which is my size in asics. Put them on without socks, way too small. Was thinking I better go a whole size up, but they only had 12 or 13. Ordered the 12, we'll see if they fit.....

Got my Zoots today.  Mine were at least a half size too small too.  I was going to wear socks with them but there was no way.  I have learned my lesson in the past with trying out new shoes sockless a few days before a race.  Usually not a good idea but after I wedged into them I decided to give it a shot.  6 easy miles.  Even with them too small they were surprisingly comfortable.  The seamless interiors are designed well.  No hot spots.  They are much firmer than the Pearl Izumi iso transitions I was replacing.  I think I prefer the softer ride of the PI's so might switch back.

2015-02-12 11:29 PM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by tcarlson78

OK, I have a JEEP question (Just Educated Enough to Pass) how do I add events I am doing to my profile?

It goes Menu>Races>My Races> Top right hand corner there is a button that says "Add Race". Click that. Then do a little search for the race that you're doing, if it doesn't come up, input the details of the race in the field boxes.

Hope that's clear enough.
2015-02-13 7:41 AM
in reply to: popsracer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by popsracer

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jet Black Ok, good that everyone is in agreement that I should start out conservative. Thanks! Now what do y'all think would be conservative for me? I've run a 10k in 52 minutes or so during a longer training run. Just start there because I know I can do it? Or start at 8 min pace which would have me finish in 48 and change?

Looking at faster runs are more helpful for that, what you did and how they went. There is one posted already. Any others in the last month or two?

Here are some 10k paces per running calculator as reference:

8:03 = 50 min

7:53 = 49 min

7:43 = 48 min

The only caution I'd throw out there is that a lot of other things can come into play with paces like wind, elevation changes, traffic, etc.  Also, overall time can vary based on actual distance.  I still think I'd start at 8:00 and just take it from there.  There is much to learn with pacing a race and most of that just comes from your own experiences.  No matter what happens you will get better at this.  Relax and enjoy the race.  There is no pressure other than to have fun. 

If there is nothing else to factor in, that's what I was thinking too.

2015-02-13 8:02 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
==
February 14-15
Steve - Sedro Woolley Trail Half Marathon on Saturday
Janyne - Myrtle Beach half marathon on Saturday
Stacey -  Rockingham Tri on Sunday
Ann-Marie - Flatwoods Ramble on Sunday

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Matt MS - under the weather
Randee - acid reflux
Yanti - under the weather

Congratulations to Jen and Troy on the new jobs!

Lots of good stuff, congrats on new jobs!!!!

Race well, heal up, have fun, enjoy the weekend!

2015-02-13 8:04 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Jet Black ....First, the zoots were way too small. Ordered 11.5, which is my size in asics. Put them on without socks, way too small. Was thinking I better go a whole size up, but they only had 12 or 13. Ordered the 12, we'll see if they fit.....

Got my Zoots today.  Mine were at least a half size too small too.  I was going to wear socks with them but there was no way.  I have learned my lesson in the past with trying out new shoes sockless a few days before a race.  Usually not a good idea but after I wedged into them I decided to give it a shot.  6 easy miles.  Even with them too small they were surprisingly comfortable.  The seamless interiors are designed well.  No hot spots.  They are much firmer than the Pearl Izumi iso transitions I was replacing.  I think I prefer the softer ride of the PI's so might switch back.

Steve, my Zoots should be arriving today and I too am moving from the iso transitions by PI. I really liked them right up until I ended up with a dead toenail this past weekend. I am a bit concerned on the sizing info I've been reading lately, but I'll see when they arrive and return if needed.

2015-02-13 8:17 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

Steve, my Zoots should be arriving today and I too am moving from the iso transitions by PI. I really liked them right up until I ended up with a dead toenail this past weekend. I am a bit concerned on the sizing info I've been reading lately, but I'll see when they arrive and return if needed.

Funny, I wear the same size in my zoots as i do in my Brooks.  And, since i use an orthotic, i almost always wear socks.

2015-02-13 9:49 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by tcarlson78
Originally posted by Artemis 2 days into my training plan and I'm right on track. I feel like I should put a dollar in a jar every day I'm on track and take one out if I miss a workout. Bribery does wonders for me.
I never thought of that. What an awesome way to invest in yourself and keep you on track for training! That cash could be used for a nice reward post event or to pay it forward to help someone else achieve a goal. I need to get a jar out and start that. Perhaps even add a bonus deposit for meeting a training goal. What say the Manatee's, what should the investment structure be? +1 daily workout, -2 missed workout, +2 or 5 for goal achievement, +x or -y for difference in event result (time/place), etc? Of course we should include other rewards, bonus, and penalties.

I'd say use whatever structure motivates you and make it as simple or complicated as you want.  If guilt motivates you, great, but if it doesn't, don't set yourself up to fail.  I used rewards (bribes, really) really effectively when I started training last year.  My rewards were gear (the list is on my blog if you're interested).  I've recently found that if my goal was to do x for y amount of time, I'd get discouraged and start getting down on myself if I messed up and had to start over.  For example, I currently have a goal of 4 weeks of strength training = a new foam roller.  While that's a great goal, I haven't been able to do it and it's really frustrating.  Distances worked really well in the past so I think distances and times will be my focus for now.

2015-02-13 10:09 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by laffinrock

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

Happy Valentine's racing, racers!!  Race your hearts out!! 

Image result for heart image clipart

Heal up, dear DLers.  We seriously need to pare that list down.

GO MANATEEEEES!!!!

And OMG Jen that's perfect! I'm feeling the same way about my training plans these days. Maybe at the end we can take all our dollars buy a cup of coffee !

2015-02-13 10:31 AM
in reply to: #5075498

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I've also seen the $per mile approach. $1 or 50 cents or whatever. Of course for any of those to work for me if have to give up my current habit of buying when I see something I like or see a good deal. I'm thinking something BIG after my marathon. :D
2015-02-13 11:04 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by rrrunner I've also seen the $per mile approach. $1 or 50 cents or whatever. Of course for any of those to work for me if have to give up my current habit of buying when I see something I like or see a good deal. I'm thinking something BIG after my marathon. :D

Like what?  Something that's $1 per mile of training plus the race, or even bigger than that?

2015-02-13 11:07 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Originally posted by rrrunner

I've also seen the $per mile approach. $1 or 50 cents or whatever. Of course for any of those to work for me if have to give up my current habit of buying when I see something I like or see a good deal. I'm thinking something BIG after my marathon. :D

If I hit my goals for my races this year I'm buying a Dooney & Bourke Mickey Mouse bag when I run the Avengers Half at Disneyland in November. I've never had a "real" purse and since I'm really 5 not almost 50 I thought this would be a something to aim for!
2015-02-13 1:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!

==
February 14-15

Disabled List
Mary - knee/hip/shoulder
Darren - shin splints
Randee - acid reflux

GOOOOO RACERS!!

HEAL, DLers!! 

At least the racing list is almost the same size as the DL.  Stacey has a tri, how exciting, considering it's been mostly running race season lately.  Go get 'em, gang!

Edited by melbo55 2015-02-13 1:10 PM
2015-02-13 1:05 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

Heh, consider ^^that^^ a proof of life post.  My week has been hella crazy with Dad/training/weather/life, so while I popped in for entertainment and to keep up with the pod goings on, I didn't post anything.  I'm alive, I'm alive!

2015-02-13 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

And now, for the stupid question of the day: is there anyway to record an inside track workout with my Garmin 910?  I do not have a foot pod.  The weather is going to be insane on Sunday with a high of 13* F and winds 25-35 mph, slight chance of snow.  I'm going to run with JLC from masters at the indoor track at the university where we swim.

Edited by melbo55 2015-02-13 1:12 PM
2015-02-13 1:14 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Melon Presser

GO POPS!!!
GO NYNY!!!
GO STACE FACE!!! I sure wish I were going with you. You're gonna be awesome!
GO HANDS-MARIE!!!

Disabled List
Mary - keep on, keeping on
Darren - might want to address that mini taper thing
Matt MS - don't stop suddenly!
Randee - down, acid! Down boy!
Yanti - sucking on Mississippee's wheel

2015-02-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by fortissimo
Originally posted by rrrunner I've also seen the $per mile approach. $1 or 50 cents or whatever. Of course for any of those to work for me if have to give up my current habit of buying when I see something I like or see a good deal. I'm thinking something BIG after my marathon. :D
If I hit my goals for my races this year I'm buying a Dooney & Bourke Mickey Mouse bag when I run the Avengers Half at Disneyland in November. I've never had a "real" purse and since I'm really 5 not almost 50 I thought this would be a something to aim for!

I love it! Get get it! 

2015-02-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

I spent the evening in a 3 hour workshop on avalanche hazards and route planning. It was excellent. And enlightening and downright scary. 

You know, as I go through life, the more I learn the more I realize I have to learn.  Seriously, what they say, ignorance is bliss, omg.

2015-02-13 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Asalzwed

I spent the evening in a 3 hour workshop on avalanche hazards and route planning. It was excellent. And enlightening and downright scary. 

You know, as I go through life, the more I learn the more I realize I have to learn.  Seriously, what they say, ignorance is bliss, omg.

This was once explained to me like this when I was young, "The more I know, the more I know I don't know."

I now know how little I know. Or how much I have to learn. 

2015-02-13 1:28 PM

User image

Chatham Ontario
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.

DL list people get better.

I feel like I am on a DL list. I will have worked 68 hours this week by the end of today and its only Friday. I am glad I am not in this weekend.

The SO and I are going to a Partner Yoga class tonight, will be interested to see how this goes using each other for yoga poses and expressions. I am kinda scared that I ate pizza with hot peppers in it for lunch now. Wish me luck.

After this week, just looking forward to re-connecting with my SO as she has been on Mid Term exams all week as well. Not sure I will be able to swim train this weekend as there is a swim meet at the pool. But I need this weekend to recharge.

Starting to set my eyes on some 5 km races and sprint triathlons now.

I hope everyone has a GREAT valentines weekend.
2015-02-13 1:30 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

And now, for the stupid question of the day: is there anyway to record an inside track workout with my Garmin 910?  I do not have a foot pod.  The weather is going to be insane on Sunday with a high of 13* F and winds 25-35 mph, slight chance of snow.  I'm going to run with JLC from masters at the indoor track at the university where we swim.

I think you need a foot pod.  

2015-02-13 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Yes, I wish I didn't know some of the things I know!  But, if you are going into avalanche territory, best to know it, especially when you see stuff like this

http://www.today.com/video/today/56970337#56970337

2015-02-13 1:36 PM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

The lap button?

2015-02-13 1:44 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

The lap button?

That'll get you time and HR data, but for the distance, I think you need a footpod.  The 920 will do it without the pod (not sure if it's in the HR monitor or the accelerometers in the watch).

So, the only reasonable approach is to get the 920.

Matt

2015-02-13 1:49 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

The lap button?

That'll get you time and HR data, but for the distance, I think you need a footpod.  The 920 will do it without the pod (not sure if it's in the HR monitor or the accelerometers in the watch).

So, the only reasonable approach is to get the 920.

Matt

If you know the distance of the track, then what metric do you need for speedwork other than time?

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Rss Feed  

of 100

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 55370 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.