BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-02 12:44 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

I know I can't maintain all of this bike fitness when I get back to fully running and swimming (although running is coming along).... But my question to the group is do you think I will benefit any next year with some residual fitness with this shard group effort riding?

Just my unscientific 02, but I think if you spent the "offseason" riding consistently with roadies, and concentrated on one other sport (run or bike), when you switch over to more tri type specific workouts in the spring you will be a monster (or more than the monster you currently are....)

2013-10-02 2:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Fred D
I really had no idea how to suffer on a bike before I started doing this and I can't recommend it enough to everyone else. .

This part certainly won't go away, so you will carry something forward to next season

But my question to the group is do you think I will benefit any next year with some residual fitness with this shard group effort riding?

I suspect you will.

I can only speak from my experience on the run. I put a lot of time in, I get improvements, I back off significantly for a few months but then when apply some focus to it months later it comes back pretty quickly.

And BTW, I think Jason is going to benefit from his additional run volume next season as well. I hope he does the hawaii 70.3 I bet under 5 is a shoe in,

Edited by marcag 2013-10-02 2:43 PM
2013-10-03 8:39 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by ChrisM
Originally posted by brigby1

Woly quad post?!

Chris I think it's pretty common industry practice to label a bike as '105' or 'ultegra', and then use some lesser components as well.

I don't agree with this tactic as it's false advertising, but I've seen it before.

I've seen this a number times as well, and agree on the false advertising.

I could have sworn I looked at every spec on the BMC website for the '14 105 build.   The 2013 105 build does include a 105 F and R der.  I agree it's a bit of false advertising, although the specs are available.  I bet most people don't look closely tho

And funny enough, I had the opposite happen on my first Trek road bike.  Spec'd with 105, but delivered with Ultegra FD and RD.

2013-10-03 9:04 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
Ontario

Question for everyone, but certainly looking for Marc's input on this one.

After all my back and forth, and asking how to improve my cycling, swimming, etc., I've decided to give a marathon a go.  After spending a few weeks in the Hokas I feel reasonably confident that I can get through all the training required for the marathon.  But to not go overboard, I'm going to follow a 24 week plan, maxing out at 55mpw.  Marathon is in May, and I'm just going to continue to follow the BarryP approach till mid-November and then transition to the actual marathon plan.  I am definitely intimidated by the number of km, but figure it's time to try the marathon distance, with a goal of a BQ time (3:15 or better for me).

So, my question - is it unreasonable to hope to make any gains on the bike during this same time period, or should I accept that I just need to try and maintain (although I've barely been riding lately).  Either way, since most of my time will be spent on my trainer, what type of rides/workouts should I focus on week in/week out.  With the amount of running in the plan, I don't wnat to sabotage myself on either front.

The reason I singled out Marc was because he followed the 100 runs in 100 days challenge, but I know he was still riding.  All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

2013-10-03 9:05 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Elite
Ontario
Oh - and I bought the Hilo RXL saddle yesterday.  Hoping it's magic...and if not, I can return it within a month for my money back.
2013-10-03 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by GoFaster

I've decided to give a marathon a go.  .....

what type of rides/workouts should I focus on week in/week out.  With the amount of running in the plan, I don't wnat to sabotage myself on either front.

The reason I singled out Marc was because he followed the 100 runs in 100 days challenge, but I know he was still riding.  All thoughts and ideas appreciated.

Yes, last winter I ran everyday as part of the ST challenge.

I only biked about 3-4 hourse per week, so about 3 times. It was all VO2 and some threshold work after a warm up and cool down. I remember doing an FTP test beginning of April and it was the highest I had ever hit. But I was good to hit 20min and 5 min tests. I was not ready to do long stuff, which came later in late spring.

If I am not mistaken, Arend also saw good bike improvements with 'minimal' time on the bike while he was more run focused. And his run improved significantly

2013-10-03 9:47 AM

User image

Neil, I think it's possible to still get in some cycling while marathon training but it's going to be tough.  Especially if you have a BQ goal.  I also did the 100/100 challenge but only made it to around 45 days.  Then I got sick, and figured I would go back to 5-6x per week once my streak was broken.  It was great for my running, and I was still able to ride 2-3x per week, but I wasn't running marathon training volume or intensity.

2013-10-03 9:58 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by marcag

I've decided to give a marathon a go.  ..... what type of rides/workouts should I focus on week in/week out.  With the amount of running in the plan, I don't wnat to sabotage myself on either front.

Yes, last winter I ran everyday as part of the ST challenge. I only biked about 3-4 hourse per week, so about 3 times. It was all VO2 and some threshold work after a warm up and cool down. I remember doing an FTP test beginning of April and it was the highest I had ever hit. But I was good to hit 20min and 5 min tests. I was not ready to do long stuff, which came later in late spring. If I am not mistaken, Arend also saw good bike improvements with 'minimal' time on the bike while he was more run focused. And his run improved significantly

I was doing 3 rides per week, 3-4 hours with a mix of threshold and VO2max and I think I ran 5-6 (usually 6) days per week but nowhere near 55mpw.  I just took a quick look and through March the most I did was 55 km in a week.  That resulted in pretty good improvements in both run and bike.  I think if I was going to run 50% more than that I would have had to back off on the bike

2013-10-03 10:39 AM
in reply to: axteraa

Master
Northern IL
Originally posted by axteraa

I've decided to give a marathon a go.  ..... what type of rides/workouts should I focus on week in/week out.  With the amount of running in the plan, I don't wnat to sabotage myself on either front.

Yes, last winter I ran everyday as part of the ST challenge. I only biked about 3-4 hourse per week, so about 3 times. It was all VO2 and some threshold work after a warm up and cool down. I remember doing an FTP test beginning of April and it was the highest I had ever hit. But I was good to hit 20min and 5 min tests. I was not ready to do long stuff, which came later in late spring. If I am not mistaken, Arend also saw good bike improvements with 'minimal' time on the bike while he was more run focused. And his run improved significantly

I was doing 3 rides per week, 3-4 hours with a mix of threshold and VO2max and I think I ran 5-6 (usually 6) days per week but nowhere near 55mpw.  I just took a quick look and through March the most I did was 55 km in a week.  That resulted in pretty good improvements in both run and bike.  I think if I was going to run 50% more than that I would have had to back off on the bike

I wasn't in the challenge, but getting 97-99 runs in the 100 days hasn't been unusual (and so has that mileage for periods of time). Might have hit 100 somewhere, but the consistency is plenty high already. And yes, it's entirely possible to continue making cycling gains. How much depends on balancing some things, but basically done how Marc and Arend described. I rode more because I had the time, energy, and willingness to do so, but the stronger efforts were the more important part to make sure of.

2013-10-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: Fred D

Master
Northern IL

Just wanted to share, but have been able to ride VAMs in the mid 1,200s.

I know I can't maintain all of this bike fitness when I get back to fully running and swimming (although running is coming along).... But my question to the group is do you think I will benefit any next year with some residual fitness with this shard group effort riding?

I'd be fairly confident that you'll be better off by having improved your cycling now. It doesn't take as much to maintain or regain it, so even it if does slide a little, you'll still be ahead of if you hadn't done it. How much you maintain will depend on how things play out, but this was definitely a good thing.

2013-10-03 10:43 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Neil - When I have done "traditional" marathon training I found that there was no way I could do the kind of riding that would have led to significant gains on the bike. My riding at the time was not really about the bike, but geared more so toward recovery from the running. However I have in the past been able to make significant swim improvement while marathon/ultra training - for me I have found structured hard interval training in the pool to actually be a good surrogate/substitute for some of the work I would otherwise be doing on the road, and actually provided a significant improvement to my running while needing much less recovery to do so. As I continue to get older and recovery time gets a little longer, I have found this general strategy to pay huge dividends. I only wish I was smart enough to incorporate it into my training 20 years ago...

2013-10-03 10:55 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite
Ontario

Now I'm feeling bad that I singled out Mark when the rest of you were running so much - not sure how I forgot about Arend in his -30C Ninja gear.  Also shows how woeful my running has been up till now.

Ok, so it's established that you can do both.  Next - how do you balance out the efforts?  Recognizing that most of the bike work is going to be VO2 and Threshold type efforts, how do I fit those around longer and/or harder days of running.  I keep thinking back to previous discussions of keeping easy/rest days as such, and saving the harder work only for hard days - but that seems like too much on the hard/big days.  Here's an example of a week (week 18/24 to be precise). 

Monday - Rest (following 27km run Sunday)
Tuesday - 13km Easy
Wednesday - 14.5 km w/ 5x1000m @ 5K pace
Thursday - Rest
Friday - 17.5km Easy
Saturday - 8km Recovery w/6x100M strides
Sunday - 27km w/22.5km @ MP pace

2013-10-03 11:01 AM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Now I'm feeling bad that I singled out Mark when the rest of you were running so much - not sure how I forgot about Arend in his -30C Ninja gear.  Also shows how woeful my running has been up till now.

Ok, so it's established that you can do both.  Next - how do you balance out the efforts?  Recognizing that most of the bike work is going to be VO2 and Threshold type efforts, how do I fit those around longer and/or harder days of running.  I keep thinking back to previous discussions of keeping easy/rest days as such, and saving the harder work only for hard days - but that seems like too much on the hard/big days.  Here's an example of a week (week 18/24 to be precise). 

Monday - Rest (following 27km run Sunday)
Tuesday - 13km Easy
Wednesday - 14.5 km w/ 5x1000m @ 5K pace
Thursday - Rest
Friday - 17.5km Easy
Saturday - 8km Recovery w/6x100M strides
Sunday - 27km w/22.5km @ MP pace

Neil - first thing I would do is switch all the runs to miles, just so I would know how far I was actually running without having to do a lot of math. Plus, it would make it seem like I was not running nearly as far, so would be less daunting, maybe? . But on the other hand it would make my average pace slower.... so maybe that would be counterproductive? Other than that, I got nothing.

2013-10-03 11:04 AM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by TankBoy Neil - When I have done "traditional" marathon training I found that there was no way I could do the kind of riding that would have led to significant gains on the bike. My riding at the time was not really about the bike, but geared more so toward recovery from the running. However I have in the past been able to make significant swim improvement while marathon/ultra training - for me I have found structured hard interval training in the pool to actually be a good surrogate/substitute for some of the work I would otherwise be doing on the road, and actually provided a significant improvement to my running while needing much less recovery to do so. As I continue to get older and recovery time gets a little longer, I have found this general strategy to pay huge dividends. I only wish I was smart enough to incorporate it into my training 20 years ago...

I think I recognize your name, but I'm not sure....nice to see you posting Rusty.

Thanks for your thoughts as well.  When you say traditional marathon training, I'm assuming this may be a higher volume than I'm targeting, but like I said, even maxing out at 55mpw is daunting.  I ran last night with a 28y/o KQ guy who is currently prepping for a marathon this month.  His weekly volume is 80 miles this week, which just boggles my mind.

2013-10-03 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
build up slowly.

I found when I hit high 70, low 80 KM per week, my Achilles were at the edge. You have lots of time to build up to those mileages. How slowly but frequency frequency frequency.

And BTW, Jan/Feb are brutal months to do run volume. Be mentally prepared for it. I think you get less snow than me, but still....those cold mornings, the treadmill....yuk.....

2013-10-03 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Ok, so it's established that you can do both.  Next - how do you balance out the efforts?  Recognizing that most of the bike work is going to be VO2 and Threshold type efforts, how do I fit those around longer and/or harder days of running.  I keep thinking back to previous discussions of keeping easy/rest days as such, and saving the harder work only for hard days - but that seems like too much on the hard/big days. 

I don't have anything to add, but I did want to see if anyone has input on this part.

With respect to keeping the hard days hard and the easy days easy, what kinds of things should you be thinking about?  For example, say you do a hard ride on Thursday followed by a hard swim on Friday, is that two hard days back-to-back?  Or is it one hard day of riding followed by an easy (off) day of riding?  And one day of easy (off)  day of swimming followed by one day of hard swimming? 

Also, what's considered hard?  I'm currently trying to build my run volume up from nothing....all of my runs are in Zone 2, but I wouldn't necessarily call them "easy" for me...

2013-10-03 12:50 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Ok, so it's established that you can do both.  Next - how do you balance out the efforts?  Recognizing that most of the bike work is going to be VO2 and Threshold type efforts, how do I fit those around longer and/or harder days of running.  I keep thinking back to previous discussions of keeping easy/rest days as such, and saving the harder work only for hard days - but that seems like too much on the hard/big days. 

I don't have anything to add, but I did want to see if anyone has input on this part.

With respect to keeping the hard days hard and the easy days easy, what kinds of things should you be thinking about?  For example, say you do a hard ride on Thursday followed by a hard swim on Friday, is that two hard days back-to-back?  Or is it one hard day of riding followed by an easy (off) day of riding?  And one day of easy (off)  day of swimming followed by one day of hard swimming? 

Also, what's considered hard?  I'm currently trying to build my run volume up from nothing....all of my runs are in Zone 2, but I wouldn't necessarily call them "easy" for me...

Nicole - a long time ago Jason shared a real key insight with the group re: just exactly what a "day" really is. Hopefully he will say it better than me, but suffice it to say that if you consider a "day" simply as a 24 hour period (as opposed to a morning, noon and night) it changes the game as to how you can structure back-to-back "hard" days and still have an"easy" day sandwiched in there. Hopefully he will chime in on it!

For the record, I don't every really think about off days or easy days, instead I think about "recovery" days, i.e. what do I need to do to recover well. Recovery needs are obviously different from individual to individual based on a host of variables, but an example for me might be that after a "hard" ride or run day, a swim that includes a lot of "hard" kick sets (ugh) provides much better "recovery" than an easy swim or off day.

2013-10-03 12:58 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario

Originally posted by marcag build up slowly. I found when I hit high 70, low 80 KM per week, my Achilles were at the edge. You have lots of time to build up to those mileages. How slowly but frequency frequency frequency. And BTW, Jan/Feb are brutal months to do run volume. Be mentally prepared for it. I think you get less snow than me, but still....those cold mornings, the treadmill....yuk.....

Here's the "plan" to get me to the beginning of the actual marathon plan.  Sorry Rusty - I think metric.  Makes me seem faster on race day, except in the water where I'm never fast anyhow...

Long runs on the treadmill...I'm dreading this as a possibility, but know it's a probability.

DateWeekMonTueWedThuFriSatSunTotal
9-Sep14747411 37
16-Sep25858411 41
23-Sep35959413 45
30-Sep4510510515 50
7-Oct55858512 43
14-Oct65.5115.511516 54
21-Oct7611.5611.5618 59
28-Oct85.5115.5115.516 55
4-Nov96.5126.5126.519 63
11-Nov10713713721 68

Edited by GoFaster 2013-10-03 1:02 PM
2013-10-03 1:07 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Originally posted by TankBoy Neil - When I have done "traditional" marathon training I found that there was no way I could do the kind of riding that would have led to significant gains on the bike. My riding at the time was not really about the bike, but geared more so toward recovery from the running. However I have in the past been able to make significant swim improvement while marathon/ultra training - for me I have found structured hard interval training in the pool to actually be a good surrogate/substitute for some of the work I would otherwise be doing on the road, and actually provided a significant improvement to my running while needing much less recovery to do so. As I continue to get older and recovery time gets a little longer, I have found this general strategy to pay huge dividends. I only wish I was smart enough to incorporate it into my training 20 years ago...

I think I recognize your name, but I'm not sure....nice to see you posting Rusty.

Thanks for your thoughts as well.  When you say traditional marathon training, I'm assuming this may be a higher volume than I'm targeting, but like I said, even maxing out at 55mpw is daunting.  I ran last night with a 28y/o KQ guy who is currently prepping for a marathon this month.  His weekly volume is 80 miles this week, which just boggles my mind.

Ha Ha! Yeah, somehow in my 8 months of laying about I have lost the ability to simultaneously work productively and post on BT. I am working on it, but I may have to simply give up on the "work productively" part....

Oh, my "traditional" marathon training was nothing like an elite runner - I have proven to be rather fragile when it comes to big volume running that I could never successfully get over 55ish MPW without suffering some sort of injury, no matter how I worked up to it. So the swimming literally took the place of some of the running workouts with a goal toward getting the same or more of the cardiovascular load as the planned run.

2013-10-03 1:10 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

For me, a typical week is:

Monday - off or easy run
Tuesday - AM bike,  PM hard run 
Wed - AM swim, PM easy run
Thurs - AM bike, PM hard run 
Fri - AM swim, PM easy run
Sat - long ride, possibly short easy run
Sun - Long run (which can fall under the category of hard if it's long enough)

The swims are usually hard but rarely affect me the next day (they might if I tried to swim again).  Bike is always hard in some way or another.

2013-10-03 1:11 PM

User image

Master
...at home in The ATL

Long runs on the treadmill...I'm dreading this as a possibility, but know it's a probability.

Yeah, that has also proven to be a pathway to injury for me as well for some reason. Whenever I see Fred putting in day after day of "Hospital Treadmill" runs in I honestly have thought to myself that maybe I should get my own hospital treadmill - that way I wouldn't have to go very far to get my knees replaced.... Like I said, I think my legs are made out of glass compared to you guys....

2013-10-03 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't really look at 'big' individual workouts but more accumulated fatigue over a few days or small "blocks'.
For example weekends seem to be heavier, so Monday is usually a bit easier day

I use swims and easy runs on my easier days.

2013-10-03 1:14 PM
in reply to: TankBoy

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by TankBoy

Yeah, that has also proven to be a pathway to injury for me as well for some reason. Whenever I see Fred putting in day after day of "Hospital Treadmill" runs in I honestly have thought to myself that maybe I should get my own hospital treadmill - that way I wouldn't have to go very far to get my knees replaced.... Like I said, I think my legs are made out of glass compared to you guys....

Yup.  I've embraced my inner snow ninja for this reason.

2013-10-03 1:15 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I don't really look at 'big' individual workouts but more accumulated fatigue over a few days or small "blocks'. For example weekends seem to be heavier, so Monday is usually a bit easier day I use swims and easy runs on my easier days.

We could train on the same schedule it seems.  ;)

Edited by axteraa 2013-10-03 1:16 PM
2013-10-03 1:46 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Originally posted by axteraa
Originally posted by TankBoy

Yup.  I've embraced my inner snow ninja for this reason.

Oh man, are we getting to that time of year where you all start complaining about snow again? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.