Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 149

2013-10-07 11:56 AM
in reply to: marcag

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Jason N Actually, even witthout the 30 minute head start therws now way I see the male winner. Crazy.
Vegas 70.3 WC was kind of cool for that. Because it's 3 loops, I got to see the top 3 females run right by me, with the motorcycle, camera and all.

The bike alone was interesting there. Not so much media on there due to the roads, but seeing all of them coming back. And just how much ground they put on the rest of us. From the looks of footage afterward, Kienle may have just made his break from the pack then (2012) as he was leading, but not by much. Would have been more awesome had I known who he was at the time.

2013-10-07 12:37 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by ChrisM

Torhans VR came in Saturday.   For those users (just MArc?) did you have to get a longer screw from the LBS to mount it?  The way the mount sits on the seat tube, the screw isn't long enough to reach the boss.

If I remember properly, I used one screw on the seat tube and one on the down tube, but I had to drill the Torhans to screw to make a hole for down tube.

I will have to check it tonight.
2013-10-07 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

I did an open water swim race yesterday....RR here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=502604&posts=1#M4872369

It was actually a lot of fun, but the course was ridiculously short.  It was supposed to be 2.5k for one loop (which is what I was doing), but I came out and it was more like 1.7k.  Not a huge deal for me, but some people were doing the 5k race (and are training for a 10k race in about a month), so they only ended up with 3.4k -- a full mile short of what they expected.  Kind of a bummer, but still a fun race.

And a friend of mine asked me if I'd be interested in being part of a 10k OWS relay next month, so hopefully we can get at least one other person and a kayaker together for the race....would be fun!

2013-10-07 1:42 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by ligersandtions

I did an open water swim race yesterday....RR here: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=502604&posts=1#M4872369

It was actually a lot of fun, but the course was ridiculously short.  It was supposed to be 2.5k for one loop (which is what I was doing), but I came out and it was more like 1.7k.  Not a huge deal for me, but some people were doing the 5k race (and are training for a 10k race in about a month), so they only ended up with 3.4k -- a full mile short of what they expected.  Kind of a bummer, but still a fun race.

And a friend of mine asked me if I'd be interested in being part of a 10k OWS relay next month, so hopefully we can get at least one other person and a kayaker together for the race....would be fun!

That's annoying, there is really no reason to be that far off in the distance.

Congrats on the placing!  

2013-10-07 3:10 PM
in reply to: Fred D

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Originally posted by Fred D The guy I rode with has a stages power meter and really likes it. My own experience with power led me back to powertap because they have such a long track record of reliability. I hear quarq is getting very, very good with their newer generation models and of course SRM is the gold standard, but both cost a lot more money. Maybe the powertap will come in mid week?

I have been researching power meters for the last week or so and specifically budget friendly options.  Basically been reading DC Rainmakers reviews.  The Stages looks to have resolved some of its big issues with its latest firmware update and is the cheapest.  I am going to have an issue with it coming into contact on the rear brake of my Felt and not something I want to fuss with (i.e. get a new break and mess around with it as I am no mechanic).

The Power2max just came down in price a bunch and can get a FSA Gossamer crank for $899.   This has lots of good reviews and good customer service.

The last is Powertap and can get a PT with DT Swiss from Wheelbuilder for under $1000. 

I am primarily looking at the last 2 options although currently leaning towards the Power2max.

2013-10-07 3:51 PM
in reply to: rymac

User image

The last is Powertap and can get a PT with DT Swiss from Wheelbuilder for under $1000. 

I am primarily looking at the last 2 options although currently leaning towards the Power2max.

FWIW, I went with the WB DT Swiss option, and cover it for races.  It's I think a fantastic all around solution, and makes life very easy.

2013-10-07 3:56 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2013-10-07 3:56 PM
2013-10-07 3:58 PM

2013-10-07 4:29 PM

Originally posted by Fred D

FWIW, I went with the WB DT Swiss option, and cover it for races.  It's I think a fantastic all around solution, and makes life very easy.

I actually thought of going with a better wheel, but I really don't plan on racing with the PT, so it made no sense to spend money there.

Gotta save money for a new Tarmac, ultra light, bike next year ;-1

yeee doggies!

Curious as to what actually makes a wheel better than another.  I assume weight is one of the criteria.  What else?

I actually looked at weight when buying the DT Swiss, and found it was equal to or less that of some high end wheels (accdg to WB site)   DT Swiss 465 is listed at 465 g, Zipp firecrest 404 at 525, with the PT pro and same spokes the relative gram weights are 1065 and 1093.  (PT weighs almost as much as the rims).   

Since aero beats weight, can a covered DT swiss be a "better" wheel than a covered 404?  I am sure there are variables I am not aware of making the 404 better... I mean other than the ZIPP decals 

Also ETA glad I went this route after buying the TM02, as the rear brake setup would make it very difficult to switch between rims that are not similarly sized for racing and training.... 

Edited by ChrisM 2013-10-07 4:33 PM
2013-10-07 5:08 PM
in reply to: axteraa

Originally posted by axteraa

Originally posted by Jason N Actually, even witthout the 30 minute head start therws now way I see the male winner. Crazy.

What are your ballpark swim and bike estimated times?  You need to find a way to get yourself on camera!

Hoping to swim a relaxed 1:20, 8ish minute T1 (full change and sort of take my time), somewhere under 6 on the bike, 6ish minute T2 (another full change), then hopefully run around 4:30.  That should put me somewhere around 12 hours.  I think they're pretty conservative estimates, so I may shave off a few minutes here or there.  I'm pretty sure I could bike 5:40 if I tried...but I too scared of paying for it with an extra hour on the run.

2013-10-07 6:02 PM
in reply to: Jason N

Elite
PEI, Canada
Originally posted by Jason N

What are your ballpark swim and bike estimated times?  You need to find a way to get yourself on camera!

Hoping to swim a relaxed 1:20, 8ish minute T1 (full change and sort of take my time), somewhere under 6 on the bike, 6ish minute T2 (another full change), then hopefully run around 4:30.  That should put me somewhere around 12 hours.  I think they're pretty conservative estimates, so I may shave off a few minutes here or there.  I'm pretty sure I could bike 5:40 if I tried...but I too scared of paying for it with an extra hour on the run.

Conservative is smart.

1:20 + 8 + 6:00 + 6 = you running out of T2 at 7:34 + 30 head start for the pros so 8:04 pro race time.  If the winning time is 8:10ish you are right there on Kuakini / Hualali with them.  

2013-10-07 6:22 PM

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Jason N

What does your nutrition plan look like ?
2013-10-07 6:48 PM

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by rymac

Originally posted by Fred D The guy I rode with has a stages power meter and really likes it. My own experience with power led me back to powertap because they have such a long track record of reliability. I hear quarq is getting very, very good with their newer generation models and of course SRM is the gold standard, but both cost a lot more money. Maybe the powertap will come in mid week?

I have been researching power meters for the last week or so and specifically budget friendly options.  Basically been reading DC Rainmakers reviews.  The Stages looks to have resolved some of its big issues with its latest firmware update and is the cheapest.  I am going to have an issue with it coming into contact on the rear brake of my Felt and not something I want to fuss with (i.e. get a new break and mess around with it as I am no mechanic).

The Power2max just came down in price a bunch and can get a FSA Gossamer crank for $899.   This has lots of good reviews and good customer service.

My LBS just ordered me a power tap with the DT swiss. Under $1,000 as I get a discount.

I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY encourage you to go the powertap route over any newer power meter model.

Proven reliabilty with PT. Newer powermeter companies have a track record of many first user problems.

SRM and Quarq are good, but much more $$$

I had not realized that Powertap is now completely separated from Cycleops - not even listed on their website anymore.

2013-10-07 6:51 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

Elite
Ontario
Oh, and on the Kona predictions.  I like Kienle's chances, I think everyone expected him to get caught on the run in Vegas but no-one really put any substantial amount of time into him.  Can he run that well in a full, I don't know.  But like others said - he's going to need a great swim, cause he'll likely be chasing Starky like everyone else.
2013-10-07 6:54 PM
in reply to: GoFaster

2013-10-07 6:55 PM

2013-10-07 7:25 PM
in reply to: #4768732

2013-10-07 8:21 PM
in reply to: TSimone

Originally posted by TSimone I'll be tracking and rooting as well. Good luck Jason! Semi related note, and maybe old news (but new to me). Refs to have GoPros on the course. http://www.trizone.com.au/20131008/gopro-announced-as-title-sponsor...

I didn't see that but did see on FB that it is the GoPro Kona Ironman

2013-10-07 8:31 PM

Originally posted by marcag What does your nutrition plan look like ?

Looking for about 300-350 calories per hour on the bike.  Bonk breakers and sushi rice (with some Spam in it...YUM) will be around half of the calories and supplemented with some gels and sport drink.  Bananas from aid stations are a possibility.  I want to get as much calories from real food as possible on the bike.  Going with one bottle of water and sport drink on board at all times and will swap them out at aid stations.  I have an alarm set for every 9 minutes to help make sure I'm taking a slow and steady stream of calories in.  Bonk breakers will be cut into 1/6ths so about 40-50 calories each pop to make it a little more manageable.  Not that I will try to take in 50 calories every 9 minutes, but just as a general ball park.  I might take 100 calories at once, then not eat again till 18 minutes later.

Salt sticks will only be used if for some reason sport drink or gels are not working.  I never used them in training but always had them with me.  I'm going to do a full stop at SN to replace my flask, get more bonk breakers and sushi rice, and also get a bike bottle of flat coke.  I may be stopped for 1-2 minutes as I eat some of this stuff because you can't really take your hands off the bars on the descent from Hawi.  Usually you get a few opportunities on some of the uphill rollers to take a quick drink, but you definitely don't want to be fumbling in your bento box or reaching in your back pocket for too long until you get back to Kawaihae...which could be almost 30 minutes.

For the run, I'm hoping to move more towards simple sugars.  Perform, gels, coke.  Looking for about 100-150 per hour, but I'm guessing this is going to be highly variable based on how I feel.

I really don't know what to expect, but I think I've built in a lot of flexibility in my plan.  I'm not relying on anything in particular and my stomach has never rejected anything as of yet.  So we'll see.

2013-10-07 8:36 PM

So, anyone gonna go see this?   Have to say I'm over it

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/the-armstrong-lie-official-movie-trailer-38619/

2013-10-08 7:50 AM

Elite
Ontario

So, anyone gonna go see this?   Have to say I'm over it

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/news/article/the-armstrong-lie-official-movie-trailer-38619/

I knew that was coming out - I'm certainly not over it, and am actually quite interested if and when the day comes that LA reveals a lot of the details.  I was a big fan during his hey day, and still feel that most of those tours were some of the most exciting ones to watch if you were rooting for LA.  My interest now is less with him, and more with the overall story and culture of doping in the pro ranks, and the lengths people will go to to succeed.

2013-10-08 7:54 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

My LBS just ordered me a power tap with the DT swiss. Under $1,000 as I get a discount.

I would STRONGLY, STRONGLY, STRONGLY encourage you to go the powertap route over any newer power meter model.

Proven reliabilty with PT. Newer powermeter companies have a track record of many first user problems.

SRM and Quarq are good, but much more $$$

Any cons to the PT?

2013-10-08 8:43 AM
in reply to: rymac

Extreme Veteran

Any cons to the PT?

I have a Quarq and a PT.

The thing I like the most about a crank based system is the ability to swap wheels.

I have a wheel with an indoor trainer tire, another with my outdoor tire and my race wheels and I just swap them around.

Do you have race wheels ?
2013-10-08 9:02 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Any cons to the PT?

I have a Quarq and a PT. The thing I like the most about a crank based system is the ability to swap wheels. I have a wheel with an indoor trainer tire, another with my outdoor tire and my race wheels and I just swap them around. Do you have race wheels ?

I have a dedicated trainer wheel as well and just my stock Felt TTR2 wheelset for outdoor use.  I have a rear wheelcover for the Felt rear and I am planning on buying a cheap front race wheel this winter.  I alternate outdoor/indoor riding through the summer as well so that is a factor. 

I know there are going to be some additional costs with each so I am weighing those as well.  I am a bargain hunter but do not want to overly sacrifice quality to save a few nickles.

2013-10-08 9:13 AM

Extreme Veteran

Any cons to the PT?

I have a Quarq and a PT. The thing I like the most about a crank based system is the ability to swap wheels. I have a wheel with an indoor trainer tire, another with my outdoor tire and my race wheels and I just swap them around. Do you have race wheels ?

I have a dedicated trainer wheel as well and just my stock Felt TTR2 wheelset for outdoor use.  I have a rear wheelcover for the Felt rear and I am planning on buying a cheap front race wheel this winter.  I alternate outdoor/indoor riding through the summer as well so that is a factor. 

I know there are going to be some additional costs with each so I am weighing those as well.  I am a bargain hunter but do not want to overly sacrifice quality to save a few nickles.

It sounds like the cheapest option between PT and Power2Max is the Power2max since you wouldn't have to buy the wheel portion or the cover.

I really see where Fred is coming from on the "buy something that's been around and well tested". For this reason I would personally stay away from Stages.

While I don't know the history of Power2max they seem very well liked and some guys over on ST that are using them I would trust their opinions.

Man... I wouldn't want to be in your shoes :-)

EDIT : actually I would want to be in your shoes and get a new toy.

Edited by marcag 2013-10-08 9:14 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SBR Utopia Season II - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 149

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : November 16, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Should I remove the PD Jammers bars and ride it as is, set-up for riding in the drops and hoods? Should I run my Easton Orion II wheels or my Hed Jet60 C2's for IMWI?

date : October 15, 2008
author : AMSSM
I've had shoulder problems since the very beginning of tri training. I did see an ortho who took x-rays and said I have a type II acromioin. I'd love to know some stretches to help my flexibility.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Courage
comments : 8
What is it that brought me to my knees one Sunday morning and then kicked me into a hole of self loathing and apparent depression? My apparent salvation was my old blue Fuji Royale II.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.