BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-16 11:31 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by amd723

And in other news, it appears my paralegal has COVID! She hasn't been tested yet, but all signs point to it. That (assuming it is true) means that of the 9 people in my department, 2 have it. I am not amused to be working in the office! More importantly, this woman has asthma, is in her 60s, and is overweight, so she really could be in a bad way. Unfortunately, she is also one of the people who was/is sure this is a hoax, no big deal, i shouldn't have to wear a mask and won't!  Because of her attitude, i have refused to meet with her in person, all things by email! Phew!

Oh geez! Just hours after you took your test too :-(

Yep! My scientist BIL and sister gave me a definite maybe  when i asked whether my test would catch an infection i may have as a result of exposure to the sicky Monday and or Tuesday. Belief is it depends on viral load, if i got a big enough one, probably would catch it, but if small there may not have been time to make it the passages swabbed.  Oh well, I'll know soon enough I guess

I'm so sorry that you are working in that kind of environment.

What she said. I really hate hearing all of this - kind of heart-breaking for things that could be avoided in your co-workers case if she took it seriously 

2020-07-16 11:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yep. Washington 70.3 wasn't a race I originally wanted to do. First year for it and I try to avoid those if possible. I'd signed up for Calgary, which is during my summer break (in a normal year, I can make it into a great road trip via favorite city Vancouver, the awesome bike trail between Banff and Canmore, and friends in Idaho on the way back, plus it works a lot better with taper, and recovery for a longer event not to have to sandwich a HIM into a weekend between teaching 8-year-olds). But now I am stuck with Washington 2021. Whatever....If it does happen and is safe, I can do it as travel is fairly simple and would just need to take off a day or two. At this point, it's all just hypothetical anyway. Thinking maybe a 50% chance for next summer's races--and that might be overly optimistic. Actually wondering if IM Corp. will survive if this goes on more than a year or so. I do hope Calgary 70.3 comes back in some form--it was a great race with lots of community support. And that things will improve enough that Canada will let us in. (I can definitely understand why they wouldn't right now!)

I really can't see how travel globally won't be restricted for the foreseeable future. I expect there to be lots of quarantine rules depending on where you're coming from and your country/region's numbers prior to entry. This puts a major crimp in how IM races operate. It just won't be feasible to have so many people coming from so many places - at least the local authorities won't see it that way. 

2020-07-16 11:53 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by Hot Runner Yep. Washington 70.3 wasn't a race I originally wanted to do. First year for it and I try to avoid those if possible. I'd signed up for Calgary, which is during my summer break (in a normal year, I can make it into a great road trip via favorite city Vancouver, the awesome bike trail between Banff and Canmore, and friends in Idaho on the way back, plus it works a lot better with taper, and recovery for a longer event not to have to sandwich a HIM into a weekend between teaching 8-year-olds). But now I am stuck with Washington 2021. Whatever....If it does happen and is safe, I can do it as travel is fairly simple and would just need to take off a day or two. At this point, it's all just hypothetical anyway. Thinking maybe a 50% chance for next summer's races--and that might be overly optimistic. Actually wondering if IM Corp. will survive if this goes on more than a year or so. I do hope Calgary 70.3 comes back in some form--it was a great race with lots of community support. And that things will improve enough that Canada will let us in. (I can definitely understand why they wouldn't right now!)

I really can't see how travel globally won't be restricted for the foreseeable future. I expect there to be lots of quarantine rules depending on where you're coming from and your country/region's numbers prior to entry. This puts a major crimp in how IM races operate. It just won't be feasible to have so many people coming from so many places - at least the local authorities won't see it that way. 

Yeah. A coworker is involved in the international student community. She knows of some Chinese graduate students who went back to China in March but signed leases for the 2020-2021 academic year.  They cannot get from China back to the US for school but the leases are written in such a way that they cannot really be terminated (they can be terminated but the leasee is on the hook for the rent until the unit is rented again and realistically, that's not gonna happen).

2020-07-16 1:04 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The foreign students are probably much safer staying in China for now. but it sucks about losing their lease. But not shedding too many tears for them--most are from wealthy families, at least at our university. Why can't they get back? Is US not letting in foreign students? I thought that was only if classes were all online, and just for new students, not returning ones? The only restriction I know of from the Chinese end is they would have to quarantine two weeks if going back to China from US.

To be honest, I'm really worried about the future of this country. I've lost faith that we can have a coordinated national response anymore. Government can try, but too many people won't go along with it. Everything's become too politicized and I don't think that will change with an election--might well get worse no matter who wins. I just pray that things won't descend into total chaos if the epidemic and political situation deteriorate. What's really scary is the borders will probably be closed at that point, so no escape. Seriously, if the Canadian border or the EU was open, I would be there now. I would be willing to do anything--quarantine camp, serve in the military or other service, invest or pay $, anything, to live somewhere else that was a bit more functional.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-16 1:07 PM
2020-07-16 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner The foreign students are probably much safer staying in China for now. but it sucks about losing their lease. But not shedding too many tears for them--most are from wealthy families, at least at our university. Why can't they get back? Is US not letting in foreign students? I thought that was only if classes were all online, and just for new students, not returning ones? The only restriction I know of from the Chinese end is they would have to quarantine two weeks if going back to China from US. To be honest, I'm really worried about the future of this country. I've lost faith that we can have a coordinated national response anymore. Government can try, but too many people won't go along with it. Everything's become too politicized and I don't think that will change with an election--might well get worse no matter who wins. I just pray that things won't descend into total chaos if the epidemic and political situation deteriorate. What's really scary is the borders will probably be closed at that point, so no escape. Seriously, if the Canadian border or the EU was open, I would be there now. I would be willing to do anything--quarantine camp, serve in the military or other service, invest or pay $, anything, to live somewhere else that was a bit more functional.

I'm waiting on my Irish citizenship to come through, but with Brexit and all the English people trying to get citizenship and then COVID the wait time is more than 9 months! But, with it i might be able to leave the country! I can't quit work, so it's really not that helpful

2020-07-16 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner The foreign students are probably much safer staying in China for now. but it sucks about losing their lease. But not shedding too many tears for them--most are from wealthy families, at least at our university. Why can't they get back? Is US not letting in foreign students? I thought that was only if classes were all online, and just for new students, not returning ones? The only restriction I know of from the Chinese end is they would have to quarantine two weeks if going back to China from US.

I was told that the non-US citizens (residents) are not allowed in even with a valid visa?  I was thinking the same thing and I did point out that the leas was signed in March as the university was closing.  Either way, the student is out $800 x 12 months or the landlord is.

To be honest, I'm really worried about the future of this country. I've lost faith that we can have a coordinated national response anymore. Government can try, but too many people won't go along with it. Everything's become too politicized and I don't think that will change with an election--might well get worse no matter who wins. I just pray that things won't descend into total chaos if the epidemic and political situation deteriorate. What's really scary is the borders will probably be closed at that point, so no escape. Seriously, if the Canadian border or the EU was open, I would be there now. I would be willing to do anything--quarantine camp, serve in the military or other service, invest or pay $, anything, to live somewhere else that was a bit more functional.

So you are saying that I should have pursued my Canadian citizenship (I was born in Newfoundland) a long time ago, huh?

2020-07-16 1:49 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner The foreign students are probably much safer staying in China for now. but it sucks about losing their lease. But not shedding too many tears for them--most are from wealthy families, at least at our university. Why can't they get back? Is US not letting in foreign students? I thought that was only if classes were all online, and just for new students, not returning ones? The only restriction I know of from the Chinese end is they would have to quarantine two weeks if going back to China from US.

I was told that the non-US citizens (residents) are not allowed in even with a valid visa?  I was thinking the same thing and I did point out that the leas was signed in March as the university was closing.  Either way, the student is out $800 x 12 months or the landlord is.

So you are saying that I should have pursued my Canadian citizenship (I was born in Newfoundland) a long time ago, huh eh?

Fixed it for ya. 

2020-07-16 1:52 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by melbo55

So you are saying that I should have pursued my Canadian citizenship (I was born in Newfoundland) a long time ago, huh eh?

Fixed it for ya. 

haha!  I was bracing for Jennifer (or someone else) to make Newfie jokes ;-)

2020-07-16 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Fixed it for ya. 

was going to joke about your age ... Newfoundland didn't join Canada until 1949. But you aren't that old! sheesh. 

Plus, it's like a different language there. 

But i didn't know you were born in Newfoundland. That's pretty cool! It's a pretty cool place. I've been once. Though we drove and took the ferry. Next time we fly. 

2020-07-16 2:04 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by juniperjen

Fixed it for ya. 

was going to joke about your age ... Newfoundland didn't join Canada until 1949. But you aren't that old! sheesh. 

Plus, it's like a different language there. 

But i didn't know you were born in Newfoundland. That's pretty cool! It's a pretty cool place. I've been once. Though we drove and took the ferry. Next time we fly. 

Nope, not that old ;-)

It's complicated because my dad was at the US Naval Station there and I was born on the base.

2020-07-16 3:40 PM

User image

Master

With all due respect, that is correct.  We have all worked too hard to keep our numbers low!  The border closure has just been extended to August 21 and I really hope it stays closed much longer.  At least until there is some semblance of control in the US.

2020-07-16 3:41 PM

User image

Master

So you are saying that I should have pursued my Canadian citizenship (I was born in Newfoundland) a long time ago, huh?

I did not know this .  And yes, I would if I were you.  Nothing really to lose!

2020-07-16 4:29 PM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by IronOx

With all due respect, that is correct.  We have all worked too hard to keep our numbers low!  The border closure has just been extended to August 21 and I really hope it stays closed much longer.  At least until there is some semblance of control in the US.

i wouldn’t let us in anywhere either!  And I’m not holding my breath on us getting any semblance of control any time soon. I saw a FB post- maybe Robin’s, asking whether the majority of Americans knew they werent able to travel outside the US ( certain exceptions apply- who wants to go to Brazil?). The fact that we are a cautionary tale is outrageous. The fact that so many people have died who didn’t have to had we just followed the science is criminal. 

2020-07-16 4:35 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Pennsylvania

I'm very confused about some numbers I saw today and while maybe I can find answers somewhere on the interwebs as to why, I thought I'd ask the collective minds of the manatees first.

The Tale of Two States:

CA: 347,000 cases, 7227 deaths (as of 7/16/2020)

PA: 98,446 cases, 6973 deaths (as of 7/16/2020)

How does this happen?  Mis-reporting?  A heckuva lot of old people in PA caught it and died whereas maybe  younger people caught it and survived in CA?  How can there be close to the same amount of deaths in over a third less cases?

2020-07-16 5:14 PM

User image

Master

I'm very confused about some numbers I saw today and while maybe I can find answers somewhere on the interwebs as to why, I thought I'd ask the collective minds of the manatees first.

The Tale of Two States:

How does this happen?  Mis-reporting?  A heckuva lot of old people in PA caught it and died whereas maybe  younger people caught it and survived in CA?  How can there be close to the same amount of deaths in over a third less cases?

If I had to guess, I would say testing.  If PA didn't test as much as CA, their reported cases would be lower.  They may have only tested those 'really sick', many of whom may have ended up dying? Which begs the question, where is the logic in DTs stop testing protocol.  It just shows a much higher death rate. But then, DT is not very logical....

2020-07-16 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

The Tale of Two States:

Lots of potential reasons. Death rates lag behind infection rates, so CA had been pretty good until recently and now has big numbers, so deaths will probably go up. Also, what is the age of those currently infected in CA v PA. Did PA have a big number of nursing homes with COVID?  I’d watch CA over the next week or 2 and see how the mortality rate changes.

2020-07-16 5:18 PM

User image

Master

This is how well trained we are up here....I just had a video call with my Dean, and I feel the need to wash my hands.... 

2020-07-16 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

The Tale of Two States:

If I had to guess, I would say testing.  If PA didn't test as much as CA, their reported cases would be lower.  They may have only tested those 'really sick', many of whom may have ended up dying? Which begs the question, where is the logic in DTs stop testing protocol.  It just shows a much higher death rate. But then, DT is not very logical....

hahaha, you asked for logic in a DT decision. You forget his decisions are based on how things make him look and or effect his re-election chances. He has said if there are less tests there will be less cases. That’s science

2020-07-16 5:21 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

This is how well trained we are up here....I just had a video call with my Dean, and I feel the need to wash my hands.... 

were you wearing a mask?

2020-07-16 5:47 PM

User image

Master

were you wearing a mask?

haha, no.  I think that's why I wanted to wash my hands...

2020-07-16 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My guess is age structure of the population. California is probably much younger, both overall and those getting infected, at least at this point. Possibly also fewer people with underlying conditions due to more outdoor lifestyle? There is huge variation across countries and states. Some of the regions of Italy that were hardest hit had ghastly death rates. I've traveled to a lot of those towns. Guessing (not joking) the average age in some hill towns is around 70, if not older. Young people all gone to the cities to work.

2020-07-17 8:43 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

The Tale of Two States:

It looks like CA tests nearly three times as many people per 100,000 than PA and PA residents are moving around 19% less than they were on March 1 but CA is down 32%.  Furthermore, PA deaths peaked on May 1 and CA deaths have probably not yet peaked.

The Rt value for PA went up pretty much immediately after shelter ended but has been steady since then.

All that being said, Harvard's new tool indicates that PA is a relatively safe place to be right now -- at least compared to CA, NC, FL...

2020-07-17 11:02 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Thank you all for your responses.  I figured age may play a part (and yes, a lot of our nursing homes got hit pretty hard, at least in my county and I'm sure others).  Testing makes sense, too.  I will check out your links, Janyne.  PA's infection count is going back up since 'going green' and our governor is trying to reel businesses, especially bars and restaurants back in ince the numbers are rising and being met with much resistance and pushback.  And the amount of people I see walking around without masks EVEN THOUGH THE GOVERNOR MANDATED MASK WEARING IN PUBLIC PLACES drives me absolutely bonkers.  Not that I go out much, but when I do, there are always maskless people in the grocery store.

The worst was Monday I went to an Amish farm to get some plants and corn on the cob.  None of the Amish were wearing masks (this family never did but another stand I go to is very good about wearing them) and apparently the majority of the English people who were there decided they didn't need to, either.  I was wigged out and irritated.  I got my goodies and got out of there ASAP, taking a wide berth around all the non-mask wearers.

2020-07-17 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

The Tale of Two States:

It looks like CA tests nearly three times as many people per 100,000 than PA and PA residents are moving around 19% less than they were on March 1 but CA is down 32%.  Furthermore, PA deaths peaked on May 1 and CA deaths have probably not yet peaked.

The Rt value for PA went up pretty much immediately after shelter ended but has been steady since then.

All that being said, Harvard's new tool indicates that PA is a relatively safe place to be right now -- at least compared to CA, NC, FL...

That is a really interesting pandemic tool. Thanks for sharing. Florida really sucks!

2020-07-17 11:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Thank you all for your responses.  I figured age may play a part (and yes, a lot of our nursing homes got hit pretty hard, at least in my county and I'm sure others).  Testing makes sense, too.  I will check out your links, Janyne.  PA's infection count is going back up since 'going green' and our governor is trying to reel businesses, especially bars and restaurants back in ince the numbers are rising and being met with much resistance and pushback.  And the amount of people I see walking around without masks EVEN THOUGH THE GOVERNOR MANDATED MASK WEARING IN PUBLIC PLACES drives me absolutely bonkers.  Not that I go out much, but when I do, there are always maskless people in the grocery store.

The worst was Monday I went to an Amish farm to get some plants and corn on the cob.  None of the Amish were wearing masks (this family never did but another stand I go to is very good about wearing them) and apparently the majority of the English people who were there decided they didn't need to, either.  I was wigged out and irritated.  I got my goodies and got out of there ASAP, taking a wide berth around all the non-mask wearers.

People are really stupid! I have some hope for mask compliance since more and more businesses like Walmart, SBUX etc are mandating them in all their stores regardless of state or local orders. So, since our leaders won't lead maybe the stores can make a difference. Of course, it doesn't help your situation where the small businesses don't care and ignore a state mandate. My mayor said they are going to be sending out "strike forces" to do inspections of businesses to make sure they are in compliance. I hope it works!

As an aside, our mayor is my former boss (the former Sheriff) and his wife is Val Demings. YOu may recognize her name as on the short list for Biden's VP pick. So there is a chance that I may know the eventual VP of the US! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127