BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 104

2015-09-29 8:39 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by ponderingfox

I want to state for the record that I hate fly.  Maybe it's because I'm not good at it.  Or because it doesn't have much use to me.  Anyhow, it's fly stroke technique week at masters. 

HTFU 

But really, it's a fun stroke when you get it. Really have to learn some efficiency with it or you pay dearly for it. I had to relax more, draw it out some, trusting that I could get to the surface to breathe and recover ok. And it wasn't too bad to miss one every now and then, so long as I didn't get a mouthful of water.  Having some idea of being able to do the kick and the timing of it helped too.

I was struggling with the timing of the one-armed drills.  I also had a hard time pressing my chest down.  The coach was letting me know it.  I have a hard time figuring out in my mind what I should be doing.

2015-09-29 8:43 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOW great pics as always Adrienne!

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

As for power, I decided to go with power2max based on a TON of great reviews. It really came down to these and the p1 pedals. A few things pushed me away from the pedals:
1. there have been reports of a few random 50,000watt spikes in the data
2. not sure I want to change pedal types
3. price (although p2m wasn't much cheaper)
4. (last on the list) the possibility of damage if the bike gets in a crash

I hear shipping from Canada blows so I'll let you know when it arrives! I should be able to install it myself - we'll see!

2015-09-29 9:11 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yanti - It’s so good to hear from you and I am happy to hear that you are starting to think of Germany as home.  Good luck with the house hunting! I think that I speak for all of us when I say that we think of you often.

TJ - I’m glad that you had so much fun running cross country!

Stacey - Lovely outdoor ride :-D

Sean - Congrats!

Adrienne - Congrats! It’s great to hear that you won the race and the series. I hope that you find a use for the watch ;-)

Ann-Marie - Enjoy your one hour of fall.  Sorry that you have to wait until December though!

Randee - Welcome back!  Kevin is jealous ;-)  I’m looking forward to hearing about hour Power2Max setup!

Melanie - I hope that you are doing well.  You are frequently in my thoughts.

Steve - Thinking of you.

2015-09-29 10:57 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk WOW great pics as always Adrienne! Hope everyone had a good weekend. As for power, I decided to go with power2max based on a TON of great reviews. It really came down to these and the p1 pedals. A few things pushed me away from the pedals: 1. there have been reports of a few random 50,000watt spikes in the data 2. not sure I want to change pedal types 3. price (although p2m wasn't much cheaper) 4. (last on the list) the possibility of damage if the bike gets in a crash I hear shipping from Canada blows so I'll let you know when it arrives! I should be able to install it myself - we'll see!

I know less than zilch about power meters but I was intrigued by one I saw on the USN Interbike coverage. It has some metrics that I think I can use and says it's bringing down the price of power meters. It was crank based. That's all I remember. I'll have to watch again. I was on bike overload.

2015-09-29 12:04 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by jmkizer

Yanti - It’s so good to hear from you and I am happy to hear that you are starting to think of Germany as home.  Good luck with the house hunting! I think that I speak for all of us when I say that we think of you often.

TJ - I’m glad that you had so much fun running cross country!

Stacey - Lovely outdoor ride :-D

Sean - Congrats!

Adrienne - Congrats! It’s great to hear that you won the race and the series. I hope that you find a use for the watch ;-)

Ann-Marie - Enjoy your one hour of fall.  Sorry that you have to wait until December though!

Randee - Welcome back!  Kevin is jealous ;-)  I’m looking forward to hearing about hour Power2Max setup!

Melanie - I hope that you are doing well.  You are frequently in my thoughts.

Steve - Thinking of you.

Funny you mention that! This thing is awesome! https://www.facebook.com/adrienne.salzwedel/videos/10205880055935437/

Apparently the watch takes your GPS data and synchs it with the time stamps on your photos and creates a video. THAT is pretty sweet. I am really impressed.

Also, for the train running and mountaineering, the Altimeter is extremely valuable to me. I am totally sold on this thing for that kind of stuff. Pacing? Not so much

2015-09-29 12:20 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

My standard outlook on technology gadgets is to figure out what you need and buy a little more than that.  Use what you like and if you have too much functionality, disregard as necessary. Watches, PM's, etc are all the same, take what works and leave the rest behind.  It may be beneficial to reinvestigate your needs on occasions, because we are ever growing, ever changing by nature.

2015-09-29 12:22 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by cdban66

My standard outlook on technology gadgets is to figure out what you need and buy a little more than that.  Use what you like and if you have too much functionality, disregard as necessary. Watches, PM's, etc are all the same, take what works and leave the rest behind.  It may be beneficial to reinvestigate your needs on occasions, because we are ever growing, ever changing by nature.

This outlook works extremely well for me. No needs here so everything is a bonus!

2015-09-29 12:42 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Katy, Texas

I also choose to buy from companies that have a proven track record for excellent customer service (especially when buying used). Seems like all of these tech devices that are exposed to some pretty extreme conditions are going to need some work at some point. That's why I went with Powertap, and it's already paid off for me when I had an issue.
2015-09-29 12:53 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Jet Black

I also choose to buy from companies that have a proven track record for excellent customer service (especially when buying used). Seems like all of these tech devices that are exposed to some pretty extreme conditions are going to need some work at some point. That's why I went with Powertap, and it's already paid off for me when I had an issue.

Yass yass yass to customer service! In everything, not just tech. 

2015-09-29 12:57 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Pennsylvania

Popping in for a quick update.  My dad passed away last Tuesday, a week ago.  He had been in a gradual decline which turned into a rapid decline.  He was in the TCU of the nursing home he'd been in for rehab back in May, which is a better environment than the hospital with a more caring, attentive staff.  Hospice did what they could to make him as comfortable as possible. Obviously my life has been turned upside down for the past week, or longer, really, but I'm trying to find a new normal.  

I want to express my sincerest gratitude for all podmates who kept Dad, my family and myself in your thoughts and prayers.  Many miles may separate us geographically, but our friendship feels much closer.  Thank you, everyone for your kindness.

My hatred of cancer has grown exponentially, it is such an evil, sinister disease.

2015-09-29 1:08 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Popping in for a quick update.  My dad passed away last Tuesday, a week ago.  He had been in a gradual decline which turned into a rapid decline.  He was in the TCU of the nursing home he'd been in for rehab back in May, which is a better environment than the hospital with a more caring, attentive staff.  Hospice did what they could to make him as comfortable as possible. Obviously my life has been turned upside down for the past week, or longer, really, but I'm trying to find a new normal.  

I want to express my sincerest gratitude for all podmates who kept Dad, my family and myself in your thoughts and prayers.  Many miles may separate us geographically, but our friendship feels much closer.  Thank you, everyone for your kindness.

My hatred of cancer has grown exponentially, it is such an evil, sinister disease.

im so sorry for your loss.  i Lost my father to cancer too- you're right,  it is a sinister disease . Hugs and good thoughts and prayers your way.  

2015-09-29 1:11 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

I am so, so sorry Melanie. Big hugs to you. 

2015-09-29 1:15 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I've been very busy at work so just now taking a breather and catching up a bit.

TJ - Congrats of the XC race.  I knew you would be nowhere near DFL and were probably well ahead of the pack.  These are tough races but a lot of fun.  I haven't done XC per se since high school but have done many longer trail races and they take quite a bit of specificity in training to build strength for all the ups and downs.

Stacey - Glad to hear you got out on the new bike.  Nothing sweeter than a new ride.  We had an unusual year for forest fires and the smoke around those areas was aweful.  Fortunately, it only drifted our way a few times.  I didn't realize you were so close to the dangers. 

Sean -  Wow!! Great race.  AG win and second OA is awesome.  You are becoming quite the force.  I'm looking forward to following your IM quest.  I am seriously considering IM Texas depending on how I come out my next surgery.

Adrienne - I have to confess I was stalking you this weekend.  I wish I could have come down and watched you capture the Series title.  Are you going to run the Padden XC meet next month?  Loved your pics of the trail run.  The color in the trees was gorgeous.  I think I would have been a little nervous around those mountain goats.  Those horns look sharp but I guess they would have to catch you first which would be no small feat.

Yanti - good to hear things are going well for you.  Really hope you get out to the Northwest someday. 

I've been contemplating my strategy for a marathon this weekend.  As usual I haven't gotten in the prep I would have hoped for.  And as usual it was mostly because I can't resist racing and did way to much of that over the past few months to focus on getting the volumes I needed.  I did do some hill focus and am stronger and have been pretty consistent with my daily runs just didn't get the really long ones in.  I know I'm good at goal pace to 18-20 miles but am worried about the last miles.  Don't know if I'd be better to back off pace, keep goal paces and add some walk, or just go for it. 

2015-09-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

So sorry Melanie.  I know it has been a long struggle for you and your family.  Will be thinking and praying for you.  Take care.

2015-09-29 1:53 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

So sorry
2015-09-29 1:57 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

So sorry to see this, Melanie.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your entire family. 

2015-09-29 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I am so sorry to hear this. You have been in our thoughts and prayers and will continue to be. {{hugs}}

2015-09-29 2:05 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle
2015-09-29 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Melanie - so sorry for your loss. I know I'm a newer member of the pod and don't know everyone well yet, but I want you to know I'm thinking of you.

I want to state for the record that I hate fly.  Maybe it's because I'm not good at it.  Or because it doesn't have much use to me.  Anyhow, it's fly stroke technique week at masters. 

I just started Stroke Mechanics class (10 weeks on Sundays) and we're going to be learning fly. So excited!! And terrified!! It is my understanding that learning the other strokes help build muscle balance, which translates into fewer injuries and better feel for the water. Hang tight!
2015-09-29 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Mel I am so sorry. You've been through a lot these last months and I pray that you and the family begin to adjust to your new normal.  {{hugs}}

2015-09-29 3:00 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master

Melanie, I am so sorry for your loss.  I agree, cancer is a terrible disease.  Peaceful thoughts and hugs are headed your way.

2015-09-29 3:08 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

{{{Hugs}}} to you, I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing.   

2015-09-29 3:09 PM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by popsracer

Sean -  Wow!! Great race.  AG win and second OA is awesome.  You are becoming quite the force.  I'm looking forward to following your IM quest.  I am seriously considering IM Texas depending on how I come out my next surgery.

I'm only slightly biased as I'll be signing up for IMTX as soon as the DH can get a job....  

Kick a$$ on that next surgery and sign up!   

2015-09-29 3:14 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

HTFU 

But really, it's a fun stroke when you get it. Really have to learn some efficiency with it or you pay dearly for it. I had to relax more, draw it out some, trusting that I could get to the surface to breathe and recover ok. And it wasn't too bad to miss one every now and then, so long as I didn't get a mouthful of water.  Having some idea of being able to do the kick and the timing of it helped too.

I was struggling with the timing of the one-armed drills.  I also had a hard time pressing my chest down.  The coach was letting me know it.  I have a hard time figuring out in my mind what I should be doing.

Is the 1-arm basically doing the stroke, but 1 arm at a time? Possibly switching arms a few times in a length? That could get me sometimes too. Usually just after I start, realized the other one should have been going. Try to make the switch at that point and all momentum disappears! If that's the case, it's not a big deal to have an extra stroke on one side. A common way to do this is alternating 3 on a side. Don't think an occasional 4 and 2 is a big issue as you really want to get the idea of keeping going more than perfectly matching up. That comes easier when you get the stroke better. Another may be 3 right, 3 left, 3 full. Can be fun pulling out on the full.

Not quite as sure on the chest. As in I don't remember trying to focus specifically (or directly) on getting it down. May have been down enough, but for me at least, it seemed to be as a result of other things as opposed to being something I tried to control directly. Where it's down is about the same time as my kick is finishing and arms are really extending. I think it tends to naturally stick out and down by way of really extending my arms out (I felt the extension from shoulders out to hands) and being somewhat bent at the waist from the kick.

2015-09-29 3:19 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Atlantia

I just started Stroke Mechanics class (10 weeks on Sundays) and we're going to be learning fly. So excited!! And terrified!! It is my understanding that learning the other strokes help build muscle balance, which translates into fewer injuries and better feel for the water. Hang tight!

The other strokes did help keep things interesting. Stroke night was always fun! They also do help with feel of the water. I've had some specific aspects of free develop a bit more with the other strokes, and also had some "Aha!" moments with them as well.

Edited by brigby1 2015-09-29 3:19 PM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatees 2015.3 CLOSED (or Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 104

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Pages: 1 ... 104 105 106 107

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 67321 Posts: 2660

2015-05-20 9:51 AM IndoIronYanti

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28356 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11958 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36

Started by Dominion
Views: 37700 Posts: 891

2016-01-04 10:48 AM burner2

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66810 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.