BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 127

2020-07-17 9:42 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED
Oregon is actually not doing too badly in comparison to some states that are doing horribly, but we are still having lots of clusters and local outbreaks. In Eugene, most have been traced to parties in the college-age set around the time of "graduation" (which wasn't even officially held in person), plus some workplace spread and people coming here from states with high Covid rates. What baffles me is why interstate travel was never shut down. I guess it's very hard to do here when most people have their own cars, but in my my mind, it isn't a "lockdown" if the airports, train and bus stations, and interstates are open for non-essential travel. I have NEVER seen so many out-of-state license plates in our town, especially in the summer when normally most of the college students are gone. (And campus is very quiet now. I think almost all summer/graduate/law work is online currently.) Really wonder what the university's plans are and what will happen if/when most students return. I can see it going through the roof. Personally saw a lot of the late-June house parties and I actually know which houses are now "Covid houses" (quarantining) because people have written things out front in sidewalk chalk--well-wishing and such at the SAME party house. Grrr.

We found out today about the plan for local schools. We will be fully online for first four weeks. (Teachers start early September, kids mid-September, about two weeks later than normal.) Mid-October "if public health conditions permit", they will go to staggered classes. 1/2 of kids each week go to class while 1/2 work online; switch the following week. What this means to me is I am doing both in-person instruction full day plus monitoring the online kids. I guess the good thing is our school's classes are small, so this involves at most two groups of 10-11 kids. Hopefully it can be some kind of system like introduce new content, do more hands-on and whole class activities during the at-school week and then more review and practice and use of math and reading sites where some of their work gets checked automatically, or teachers will go nuts! Parents also have the option to enroll their children in the district's fully online academy for the time being, but I doubt many at our school will do this as it won't offer the language immersion program that we do. But guessing we will lose a few to online academy and various other forms of home/online school.

Just so sad. Other countries have gotten their acts together so much better and can offer their kids a much more normal and productive experience at school. We shouldn't have to choose between serious health risks (admittedly more so for teachers, staff, and families than the kids) and proper education. I think our district has done what it can but I never thought it would come to worrying that I might be endangering my life and my family's by doing my job, that the alternative to that would be having no or unaffordable health insurance during a pandemic, or that my country's president would want to force me to make that choice.

2020-07-18 8:56 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Well, so much for our county doing well. 40 new cases just today. Previous record was 18. Ugh. I wish they would give more info on where/how these outbreaks are occurring. Or maybe people have no idea where they got it? That's not good.
2020-07-18 10:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
And yep, I was right. Most of the new cases are traced to out-of-state travel according to county health dept. (People from out of state coming here, and locals coming back from out of state). And some of these are REALLY from out of state. Not just the usual vacationing Californians and Washingtonians and occasional Idaho or Utah. We saw an Arkansas plate today! Yesterday in a few hours, Florida, Alabama, and Tennessee. Geez! Who in their right mind takes cross-country road trips during a pandemic? I guess maybe if you had an RV, could be pretty much self-sufficient and were really brave, but these were cars.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-18 10:31 PM
2020-07-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

Champion
Bronze member
WNC is a tourist haven as well as second home haven. We have lots and lots of folks who don't live here. It wouldn't be a problem if folks wore masks. It seems to be getting somewhat better now that major chains are requiring masks.
2020-07-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
What's weird is that up till now as far as I know we have not been a national tourism or second home haven. More of a regional thing. Our county has tons of hiking trails including PCT access, some campgrounds, a rural MUP popular with bike tourists, and a pretty (though usually cold and windy and really not swimmable) stretch of beach, so we are a popular destination for short trips from places like Seattle and Portland, maybe northern California or Boise at a stretch. I have never met anyone who has a second home here. Most of that is on the sunnier side of the Cascades (Sunriver near Bend and another community near Sisters) where dry season is longer and it's closer to good skiing. But multiple cars in a day from Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, and elsewhere in the southeast-- that is something new.

Mask compliance is not too bad here but it is an issue on the running trails. I ran 1:20 yesterday and guessing only maybe 30-40% of people pulled up masks when passing/being passed. (This is required now when 6 feet can't be maintained, and with runners, 20 feet is suggested.) In stores, closer to 90-95% where we shop. There are still some diehards not wearing them. I think the managers won't actually enforce the rule, since the the maskless person might have a gun and use it. In this country, really no way to enforce anything without fully armed security guards, police, or military. That's not going to happen at Albertson's and Safeway, at least not yet.
2020-07-20 10:14 AM

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

Thank you all for your responses.  I figured age may play a part (and yes, a lot of our nursing homes got hit pretty hard, at least in my county and I'm sure others).  Testing makes sense, too.  I will check out your links, Janyne.  PA's infection count is going back up since 'going green' and our governor is trying to reel businesses, especially bars and restaurants back in ince the numbers are rising and being met with much resistance and pushback.  And the amount of people I see walking around without masks EVEN THOUGH THE GOVERNOR MANDATED MASK WEARING IN PUBLIC PLACES drives me absolutely bonkers.  Not that I go out much, but when I do, there are always maskless people in the grocery store.

The worst was Monday I went to an Amish farm to get some plants and corn on the cob.  None of the Amish were wearing masks (this family never did but another stand I go to is very good about wearing them) and apparently the majority of the English people who were there decided they didn't need to, either.  I was wigged out and irritated.  I got my goodies and got out of there ASAP, taking a wide berth around all the non-mask wearers.

People are really stupid! I have some hope for mask compliance since more and more businesses like Walmart, SBUX etc are mandating them in all their stores regardless of state or local orders. So, since our leaders won't lead maybe the stores can make a difference. Of course, it doesn't help your situation where the small businesses don't care and ignore a state mandate. My mayor said they are going to be sending out "strike forces" to do inspections of businesses to make sure they are in compliance. I hope it works!

As an aside, our mayor is my former boss (the former Sheriff) and his wife is Val Demings. YOu may recognize her name as on the short list for Biden's VP pick. So there is a chance that I may know the eventual VP of the US! 

I went to Walmart this weekend. The employee at the door had a mask on - and watched at least half of the customers without masks walk right in. Didn't say a word. Maybe it's different down in the rest of America, but here in small town, it is certainly not enforced. I even saw more than one employee without a mask.

2020-07-20 11:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm sure it differs with the politics, age and education levels in different places. Here there are clear differences between stores that draw somewhat different demographics--income level, age. etc. The closest Albertson's draws an older crowd from our mostly middle to upper middle class neighborhood plus a substantial group of homeless people who live in several informal camps in a nearby park, along a sidewalk, and near some churches. Pretty much all of those groups wear masks. The Safeway is closer to campus and rental off-campus housing and draws a much younger crowd. Far fewer masks although that area has the largest number of Covid cases. Also fewer masks at Walmart. Similar low levels in rural areas nearby that tend toward Trump Republicans and Fox news fans.

I haven't actually seen any employees ask/tell someone to wear a mask, despite a statewide mandate. There are a lot of signs, but guessing they would not take the risk of doing that. Others have said they have seen the person at the door at Albertson's ask maskless people if they can offer them a mask (they have them at the customer service desk) but that's about it.

Edited by Hot Runner 2020-07-20 11:33 AM
2020-07-21 4:49 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Mask compliance is very good here in central Illinois --- it seems like people are cooperative and are getting into the habit. I was in Menards yesterday and did see a couple of people in the store who took their masks off once they got inside, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

2020-07-21 6:43 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by abake Mask compliance is very good here in central Illinois --- it seems like people are cooperative and are getting into the habit. I was in Menards yesterday and did see a couple of people in the store who took their masks off once they got inside, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

We have pretty good mask compliance in my area too. What amazes me is that most of the people not wearing masks are people who look like they are in the high-risk category! The others either 20-somethings or people who look like they don't do anything until Fox tells them to do it. Now that our president has said it is patriotic to wear one, perhaps some of the "you can't tell me what to do" people will start wearing them 

2020-07-21 11:12 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
So far I enjoy the experience in my new state: everyone wears masks in the stores and most public places I visited. You actually get more "looks" if you are not wearing one. But i guess it depends on the area: my friend lives further North and said there is a culture in her workplace that if you wear a mask you're anti-Trump, and if you don't wear it - you're Trump supporter. She works for a manufacturing company (bracelets for prisoners, thus, considered essential worker), and she is concerned as most folks around her did not wear a mask. That was few weeks ago, not sure if it has changed.

When I went hiking, almost everyone had masks. If not on the face, then down the neck, and put it on when passing others. At first I thought outdoors would keep us virus free, but since most people are wearing it, I decided to cover my face while hiking too. Mostly, to respect the others. Truly, it does not hurt to wear a mask.

I really hope things get better by September. I cannot understand why all other countries are doing fine now, and we are still in the same spot we were few months ago... And if things improve, they go down moments later. But i have to agree it takes effort from anyone. If more people adhere to the guidelines and restrictions, maybe we would be in a better place. I don't know...
2020-07-21 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
A few months ago I was still hopeful that I'd be able to have my family all together at Christmas. Now, I'm not so sure. My parents are in FL, in-laws and my brother are all in London. It seems sad to say, but I really don't want my 70 year old parents making a road trip from FL to VA. My in laws and brother...well how would they be able to travel here and back?
Sigh.

Mask compliance is good in my county. I actually got mask shamed for running while not wearing a mask. I was outside in my neighborhood, and I had thought it was fine to not wear a mask when outside exercising since you can easily see people coming and cross the street, etc. But I guess this person didn't agree, so they shouted at me to go home if I wouldn't wear a mask.
Did I miss something? Are we supposed to wear masks when running solo?

Edited by Atlantia 2020-07-21 12:19 PM

2020-07-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia A few months ago I was still hopeful that I'd be able to have my family all together at Christmas. Now, I'm not so sure. My parents are in FL, in-laws and my brother are all in London. It seems sad to say, but I really don't want my 70 year old parents making a road trip from FL to VA. My in laws and brother...well how would they be able to travel here and back? Sigh. Mask compliance is good in my county. I actually got mask shamed for running while not wearing a mask. I was outside in my neighborhood, and I had thought it was fine to not wear a mask when outside exercising since you can easily see people coming and cross the street, etc. But I guess this person didn't agree, so they shouted at me to go home if I wouldn't wear a mask. Did I miss something? Are we supposed to wear masks when running solo?

It depends upon your local order. In my county you don't need to wear a mask if you are outside exercising and can social distance. I don't remember where I saw that even outside exercising with social distance still requires a mask -maybe Ohio...

2020-07-21 12:56 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by abake Mask compliance is very good here in central Illinois --- it seems like people are cooperative and are getting into the habit. I was in Menards yesterday and did see a couple of people in the store who took their masks off once they got inside, but they were the exception rather than the rule.

We have pretty good mask compliance in my area too. What amazes me is that most of the people not wearing masks are people who look like they are in the high-risk category! The others either 20-somethings or people who look like they don't do anything until Fox tells them to do it. Now that our president has said it is patriotic to wear one, perhaps some of the "you can't tell me what to do" people will start wearing them 

LOL that's been my observation as well!
2020-07-21 1:36 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
In our state you are supposed to wear a mask outside in public when there is the possibility you won't be able to social distance. Examples they gave were farmers' markets, crowded city streets (really only in Portland or at protests!), outdoor events, lining up to enter a business, busy trailheads. Suggestion was for runners and hikers to carry a mask or kerchief and put it on when passing/being passed. Remember that runners and others doing vigorous exercise may have a bigger "spread zone" of 20-30 feet--maybe that's what the woman was upset about? Other states/counties may have different rules but the only places I have heard requiring masks continuously even for solo outdoor exercise have been in other countries (China, Vietnam, parts of Europe). I would consider it I guess if running on a really busy trail or path if there weren't other options.

And, continuing our out-of-state visitor observations--behind a Massachusetts car in the Starbucks drive-through yesterday. And Maryland coming home from running this morning. Hmmm...

2020-07-21 9:03 PM
in reply to: #5264887

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Had my annual physical today & was happy that my regular PCP was back after battling a pretty awful bout of pancreatitis most of last year.

We had a really good conversation about Covid, Covid testing, Covid antibody testing, preventative measures, immune support, and me going back to teach in less than a week with 4 classes of 5 day/week face to face teaching.

In a nutshell, Covid testing is only as good as the person giving the test and the "window" post exposure of when one is tested. Antibody testing is a 50/50 crapshoot. I had antibody testing done in May, but it came back negative. After our discussion, he feels it's likely I had Covid after our trip to Vegas. Best preventative measures if you have to be around people are washing hands with soap & water, wearing masks, and washing hands. Then wash hands again. For immune support, he said the anecdotal research is showing 2000IU of Vit D3 and 50 mg of Zinc can help considerably. It's what he takes daily (and he was very ill last year, so does not want to risk getting Covid).

Anyhow, just sharing as the conversation did help lower my anxiety considerably.
2020-07-21 9:32 PM
in reply to: #5271613

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I wanted to add...

Please don't think I'm downplaying the seriousness of Covid.

However, I can't not return to work. It's financially not an option.

I was, however, grateful for a frank discussion with an MD that gave me his expert opinion about my risks.

2020-07-22 4:53 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by glfprncs

Had my annual physical today & was happy that my regular PCP was back after battling a pretty awful bout of pancreatitis most of last year.

We had a really good conversation about Covid, Covid testing, Covid antibody testing, preventative measures, immune support, and me going back to teach in less than a week with 4 classes of 5 day/week face to face teaching.

In a nutshell, Covid testing is only as good as the person giving the test and the "window" post exposure of when one is tested. Antibody testing is a 50/50 crapshoot. I had antibody testing done in May, but it came back negative. After our discussion, he feels it's likely I had Covid after our trip to Vegas. Best preventative measures if you have to be around people are washing hands with soap & water, wearing masks, and washing hands. Then wash hands again. For immune support, he said the anecdotal research is showing 2000IU of Vit D3 and 50 mg of Zinc can help considerably. It's what he takes daily (and he was very ill last year, so does not want to risk getting Covid).

Anyhow, just sharing as the conversation did help lower my anxiety considerably.

Thanks for posting this. I've wondered about the testing since the results are all over the map. We even have a situation where I work with a family where the Mom (pediatrician) tested positive and so entire family was quarantined. Rest of the family (husband, 2 kids) all tested negative repeatedly, while the mom continued to test positive.
2020-07-22 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by glfprncs I wanted to add... Please don't think I'm downplaying the seriousness of Covid. However, I can't not return to work. It's financially not an option. I was, however, grateful for a frank discussion with an MD that gave me his expert opinion about my risks.

I've been back at work since 6/8 with the exception of a few work from home dates after 2 of the support people in my office got COVID., so i understand not having a choice and the need to make the best choices under the circumstances.  One of the many frustrating/scary things about this virus is that it appears antibodies don't stay with us very long, so it is very possible that we can get reinfected. 

I am grateful that i am not in the position where i have to decide whether or not to send my child to school! I feel so sorry for those people who cannot -for whatever reason, keep their child home and i am sorry that teachers and other school workers are put in such a tough spot.   

Edited by amd723 2020-07-22 8:51 AM
2020-07-22 6:22 PM

Originally posted by glfprncs I wanted to add... Please don't think I'm downplaying the seriousness of Covid. However, I can't not return to work. It's financially not an option. I was, however, grateful for a frank discussion with an MD that gave me his expert opinion about my risks.

I've been back at work since 6/8 with the exception of a few work from home dates after 2 of the support people in my office got COVID., so i understand not having a choice and the need to make the best choices under the circumstances.  One of the many frustrating/scary things about this virus is that it appears antibodies don't stay with us very long, so it is very possible that we can get reinfected. 

I am grateful that i am not in the position where i have to decide whether or not to send my child to school! I feel so sorry for those people who cannot -for whatever reason, keep their child home and i am sorry that teachers and other school workers are put in such a tough spot.   

Agreed. We are in the position of not only figuring what to do with 2 kids, but also my wife figuring out whether to go back to teaching this year. She has been teaching for several years, but last year was her first year in a new district here, so she is obviously very reluctant to break contract and say she won't be teaching this year. We are fortunate enough to not be financially strapped to the point that she absolutely must teach, so she has tough choices to make. Our neighbor has 1 more year of teaching (at same school as my wife) before her full retirement kicks in. This also means she is a bit older, which makes the decision so much more difficult. Such a tough spot to be put in.
2020-07-22 10:47 PM
in reply to: alaskatri

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
This was also my first year in this district, and I'm 51, so if I did quit I doubt there would be more full-time opportunities in the future. Since Oregon starts late, and we will be fully online for the first month, for now I will see how things go. I guess we will have the benefit of seeing how it goes in other states and what to do/not to do. That's horrible in a way, but just the reality. Our calendar has always been different than in a lot of states (later start and end) due to the summer climate and agricultural seasons--normally we start first week of September; only a week later due to Covid. I think the governor and district here are quite cautious when it comes to re-opening given the public health situation.

I'd hoped to teach another 5-10 years, but if I really felt things were unsafe, would consider retirement. I'd have to really be prudent with my finances and probably take on part-time gigs (tutoring, etc.) for a lot longer than 10 years, but given my living situation (with an 81 year old), it's hard to justify putting her life in danger, and moving out just doesn't seem worth it either--would be spending half my salary on rent but still needing to check in on Mom.
2020-07-23 9:29 AM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Mask compliance is terrible in Oklahoma.  We went to Moab, Utah three weeks ago when my sister was moving from Colorado to Utah to see some of the family.  Driving through Colorado and New Mexico it was nice to see how states that were good with mask compliance were doing things.  We went out to Wyoming and Utah again last week and saw that Kansas is also a state that is very good with mask compliance.  Wyoming, Utah, and Texas were very relaxed (i.e. fewer wearing masks than those wearing them). 

Last week lots of cities in Oklahoma increased public mask requirements and this week some people here have been in mutiny.  There have been people threatening employees at establishments that have been instructed to turn away patrons that don't have a mask, there have been people knocking over stands of merchandise in front of stores that turn away people without masks, there have been people say they will never go back to stores that they have been regulars at for years because they are now required to wear masks to shop there, etc.  Oklahoma as a whole is a very backward thinking people.  They better wake up and get with the program.  We have been asked to wear masks for four months now and many parts of the country have been doing a great job of that.  Many people in the relaxed area feel that because their community has been weak on compliance that everywhere in the country has been relaxed and that anyone that isn't relaxed is a Natzi and should be treated as an enemy and resisted.  It is very sad to live in an area that is so thick-headed.  

When we got back from Utah and Wyoming my daughters started training for their first Kids Triathlon.  I originally wanted to do a Community Youth Triathlon Camp in August leading up to a Kids Triathlon at the end of the month.  I had 60% of the Triathletes in town committed to helping with this and anticipated 100% participation (all five of us).  That isn't going to happen now, but with 6 weeks until the race and a green light from the city on holding the event, my daughters started to cycle this week.  My 10-year-old is doing great on her bike.  My 8-year-old is getting there.  We pulled the training wheels off on Monday and she is learning to ride.  I think her record is now 25 pedal strokes without putting a foot down and she has learned to break rather than crash at the end of each attempt.  My 6-year old still has the training wheels on and will likely do the race with then on.  We have a gravel driveway and very bumpy roads so we have been taking them in town twice a day to ride their bike for 45 minutes each time. 

Next will be the swim.  The Regional Wellness Center where I swim doesn't allow youth and I don't know if any of the outdoor community pools are open for the summer so I need to look into pools.  My girls are about at the same point with their swim as they are with their bike.  The 10-year has been trying to swim 25-yards continuously every time we go to the pool because she knows my requirement for them to go in the deep end (i.e. use the diving board) is for them to be able to swim 25 yards and float on their back for a minute.  It isn't pretty but she makes it the whole 25 yard.  In the same way that my 8-year old has taken the training wheels off the bike she has taken the inflatable arm cuffs off in the water, but I don't know if she has done a continuous 25 yards yet.  Her age will race 50 yards and the 10-year-old will race 100 yards so they have some work to do.  I think the 6-year old will be doing 50 yards in the race too (I need to check the distance for her age).  She still has the inflatable cuffs on.  I don't know if they are allowed in the race or not but if they are, like the training wheels, she will likely be racing with the inflatable arm cuffs. 

They are solid on the run though, so that is one area I know they can do.

I don't think I will be racing this one. I don't want to steal any spotlight from the kids although there is a super sprint on Friday, Sprint on Saturday, and Olympic race on Sunday, so it is very tempting to get all my USAT races done in one weekend so I can get a ranking this year.  I think this will just be the year of the Duathlon for me though.  I have done a Solo TT Duathlon, two Virtual Duathlons, and two live Duathlons.  That may be enough for me for the year. I am looking at doing a 15K run in November as my next "A" race.  That is a distance I still have a good shot at setting a PR. :-)

Edited by BlueBoy26 2020-07-23 9:35 AM

2020-07-23 10:01 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner 

probably take on part-time gigs (tutoring, etc.

This doesn't help you for this very moment, but if remote learning continues to be a thing for years to come, I think there will be a huge market for tutoring by former educators. My boss is hiring a private tutor to help with her three kids' remote learning - they've got a group of neighbors who are all going in together on it - and I've heard of lots of folks going down this path. It's clear that most parents aren't equipped (especially if they have multiple children) - and when you add in both parents working full time, you have a huge gap. Sadly, this will only be an option for people who can afford it, but I definitely see opportunities for teachers who opt to not go back into the classroom.

2020-07-23 10:23 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Pretty sure of that as well. At the moment, those are available locally, but don't offer the health insurance and other benefits that working for a district does. That's no small matter in a pandemic.We do have an online academy and possibly some additional online teaching positions but those are being given to those who qualify due to ADA rules (just having been to ER a few times with asthma and flu, or living with an elderly family member, doesn't cut it.), and any remaining positions will be handed out in order of the applicants' seniority.

It's a crazy conundrum, keeping a job that puts my health in danger so I can keep my health insurance. But I'm sure a lot of other people are in the same situation as well. This summer I'm tutoring a kiddo via Zoom--her mom would love for me to do it in person but I have refused....because they have made repeated trips to visit family in Utah! Mom is of the political persuasion that this is really just a lot of exaggerated bunk, so I'm not about to head over to their house because I don't believe they take too many precautions.

Long-term, I'm guessing if there is an effective vaccine, most parents will continue to choose in-person schooling in actual schools, for the convenience if nothing else. But there are some kids/families for whom some form of home tutoring or online learning might be more effective and preferable. I can see how this could have worked for me when I was a kid--Mom worked part-time, Dad as a prof had a flexible schedule, I was pretty self-motivated and really could have done without the social stresses of school and with a lot more physical activity than a normal school day provided. For some kids, the social aspect of 20+ kids in a classroom and hordes at lunch and recess is really more of a stressful distraction than a plus, or they need to organize their time in a different way as far as food, sleep, work time, movement breaks, etc. It could work really well for young athletes and musicians, some kids with attention issues, etc. I can see a certain segment of parents realizing that they want to continue having their kids learning at home or in small groups, even after there's no longer a public health need for that. It's something I would enjoy.
2020-07-23 10:34 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by lisac957

This doesn't help you for this very moment, but if remote learning continues to be a thing for years to come, I think there will be a huge market for tutoring by former educators. My boss is hiring a private tutor to help with her three kids' remote learning - they've got a group of neighbors who are all going in together on it - and I've heard of lots of folks going down this path. It's clear that most parents aren't equipped (especially if they have multiple children) - and when you add in both parents working full time, you have a huge gap. Sadly, this will only be an option for people who can afford it, but I definitely see opportunities for teachers who opt to not go back into the classroom.

Yes, I have heard from many, many parents that they are organizing groups of kids and hiring tutors.
2020-07-23 12:54 PM

Originally posted by lisac957

Yes, this for sure!!! My wife is considering that as an option. Then you get to pick the work and students you take on.

The nice thing for her is that she has taught special ed for most of her career, so the job options will not be too limited even when all of this is over unless they wouldn't rehire her out of spite. They had 2 special ed openings last year at her school that they could not fill the entire year, so I imagine she'd be fine.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees Roar into the 20s! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 127