Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-01-02 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1129235

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Spouse Support - Good or Bad
I am lucky that my husband has supported me and my tri/running habit. When we married I was 20 pounds heavier (and that was before having children). My mother at age 50 got into running which inspired my sister and I to get into it. We ran our first marathon (my mom, sister and I) a year later. My husband came out and supported the race. I have run many 1/2 marathons and marathons in the last 10 years and lost 20 pounds doing it (plus had 2 kids in between). Sometimes he'll come to the races with the kids which is awesome and totally motivating. Lately though he has not been there for marathons and halfs. I think he is bored with the whole marathon thing - been there, done that.

Last year I did my first 2 duathlons and he came to both. At the end of the season, he bought his own bike (from a guy that has barely worked out in 10 years and is over 300 pounds). And did I mention he even bought the bike shorts too Even though he is not as fast as I am, I love that he gets out to ride with me. I have planned 6 races this year and I know he wont make them all but I am sure he will come to at least 1.

As far as the training, he is supportive overall but has a hard time with the 4:30 wake up and the 8:30 bed time. Overall, I am very lucky to have such a supporting man in my life.

2008-01-02 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Im lucky that mine was hooked about a year before I was.  Not we're both certifiable
2008-01-02 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
I'm one of the lucky ones.  Last year when I was just starting with my first tri, my hubby bought me a brand new bike and gave his full support for me to chase my dreams.  He's driven long hours after school to watch me race, taken care of our boys on his only day off during the week so I could go race,  pursued me like paparazzi to get "a good shot" during races, and takes all of my stats and analyzes them to help identify where I need to improve to move up in my AG.  He's simply awesome!  I try to be just as supportive for him, too.  He's worth it! 
2008-01-03 2:25 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Put my wife in the "very supportive" category. 

She jock strapped for me during RAGBRAI in 2003.  She cooked my breakfast before I left, took down the campsite after I left, loaded in our Explorer by herself, stopped each day to get food, met me for lunch, drove ahead to set up the campsite, AND had cold beer ready for my arrival each day.  All this so I could ride 40-100 miles each day for seven days straight.  (She even let this count as "vacation" for us.)

I jokingly call her my "domestique" but dang if I can get her to wear the uniform with the fishnets anymore.

2008-01-03 5:28 AM

User image

Veteran
As long as there is dinner on the table M-Th (and sometimes F or Sa), I'm free to train as much as I like. My wife's a teacher and puts in a lot of extra time during the school year. I think it makes her feel better that I have something to occupy my time and that she's not neglecting me for work.
2008-01-03 6:01 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
I over married. I spend everyday fighting to keep her.

2008-01-03 6:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Both my girlfriend and I train and race. I would say we are both supportive of each other, but there are some weird aspects. She would much rather do everything alone. She does not care if I were to come to a race or not, whereas I actually like to go to her races and would like to see her at the ones I do. Also, childcare is an issue. She is so used to just doing whatever she does and not thinking about where the kids will be while she does it. It has been a long road trying to get her to understand that we need to discuss race dates and childcare together. I don't think we are quite there yet, but I did officially get a schedule of her open dates. Not quite the same as both of us having the same opportunities for the races we want, but it'll have to do for this year.

But as far as the time and money... those are non-issues now that I am into triathlons too.
2008-01-03 7:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
My OH is lovely, he is in the army and spends quite a lot of time away so triathlon is great for me as it give me something to focus on, it keeps me healthy and fit and I have also made lots of new friends. This is especially helpful as we recently relocated to a new area, so with him away if I didn't meet people through tri it would be even more lonely at times.

He doesn't mind about my training - although he asked me not to run on xmas morning as he wanted to bring me a champagne breakfast in bed (ahh), he bought my bike for me and always buys me kit for birthdays and xmas etc. he even came home with some new running gloves the other day as he knew I needed some, just as a surprise.

The only thing is that he doesn't want to come to all the races, which is fine with me, he'll come to some and the ones that are important to me but he gets bored hanging around. I think thats a fair enough compromise. So I am a very luck girl!!
2008-01-03 7:58 AM

User image

Pro
MA

I've responded to a similar thread and am writing again here. 

My BF of almost 9 years (we don't live together) is somewhat supportive since I started this hobby 3 years ago, and he has no interest in swim/bike/run.  He doesn't care if I'm training or not.  Many times we made plans to meet e.g. at his home and I told him I'd be there after swimming/running and he'll wait.  Many times I rode on the trainer while he made dinner.    Some times he'd drop me off at the Y where I go swimming and he'd do something else.  Or he'd go play a round of golf with friends while I ride the bike - I'd arrive the golf course around the time they're done and hang out afterward.  He only went to my first race.  I told him he doesn't need to attend anymore if he doesn't feel like - his presence doesn't affect anything.  It's not fair for him to get up before dawn, stand there for 3-5 hours only to see me for 5 minutes during transitions. 

We have different life styles and very independent of each other but fill in each other's gaps very well.  

2008-01-03 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1130193

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I was a bike geek when my wife met me. She knew what she was getting into.

That being said, she has always been supportive. Through all the injuries and near fatal crashes she has never once asked me to stop. She was excited when I told her I was going to focus on triathlon as it is seemingly less dangerous then Downhill Mountain Biking.

I was surprised when I asked her if she would come to my first race and bring our baby. She had already been planning on it. I don't think she'll come to all my races, but If she comes to my first and one or two a year that are important to me, I'll be happy.

On the money front she is smart. Meaning, she lets me spend it when we have extra money, but keeps me from spending when I shouldn't. I feel bad for my friends who have wives who are addicted to shopping. Mine is not, and I am the spendy one. She keeps me in check. She even lets me forgo more lucrative careers to work in bicycles shops. Something I absolutely love doing. She knows my aspirations are to own a shop and is super supportive of the dream.

She is a far better wife then I am husband. Something I am working on changing.

2008-01-03 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA

Shortyy and Rowdy -- I'm sorry you're not in a more supportive situation.  I hope it works out! 

Here is a list of the sports I like to do that my husband does not:  Biking, running, swimming, taekwon do, spinning, horseback riding, aerobics -- I could go on, but you get the point.

He will occasionally drag himself to the gym with me and we recently started practicing yoga together -- but the main point is:  I love him and he loves me and we both take responsibility for our own happiness but care deeply about the others happiness. So that means we pitch in as much as we can to contribute to the others happiness. 

Last summer he drove 2 hours to pick my friend and I up at the end of a charity ride and drive us home.  He showed up with cold drinks and the A/C running.  He did that because he LOVES me -- but he doesn't want to be with me on a bike all day.

I have paddled him down rivers and streams while he fished -- I have even gone out on ocean boats (never knew a human could turn that color green!).  I don't fish but I LOVE him and he loves to fish. 

That sums it up.  16 years together and if we had another 50, it wouldn't be enough.

2008-01-03 8:43 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

Mine is definately unsupportive as I have written in the past and part of it is my fault.  She just doesn't understand it and since she does not like excercising she is partly jealous (she has admitted) that I like it so much.  I try and do most of my training at lunch or early but do have to take some "Me" time.  I let her have all the "Me" time she needs but for some reason that does not matter.  I don't think I spend that much money on the sport as I could, I don't buy alot of normal clothes and my car payment is alot less than hers.  She has been to a few running races but no tris (actually she tried to go to one but got there late). 

As I mentioned part of this is my fault.  She was doing better until last mother's day.  There was a local tri club doing a swim on Mother's Day (WTF, why would you schedule this), abot a month before my first OW Tri and I asked if I could go early and come back and the rest of the day would be her's.  She said that was okay but as the day got closer she did not want me to go.  I explained to her my fear of OW and that my race would not be wetsuit legal and I did not want to drown.  I ended up going and paniced big time but eventually calmed down and even meet up with a few BTer's after to practice and nailed my race.  Otherwise I probably would have drowned.  I explained to her that in the future there would be no need to go to these swims but in this case I felt I needed to.  Not the smartest thing to do but if she made plans on Father's day and left me with my son all day long I would not care at all, but that is me.

I am envious of the people with supportive SO as having someone at my race would be nice sometimes but I do understand her not coming to most races since they start at the butt crack of dawn and I don't want her to get my son up that early.  I wish she would realize that I maybe take 4-5 hours a week max of "me" time and she is more than welcome to take that much for herself.

2008-01-03 8:55 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
I met my completely wonderful GF through BT.  Nuff said.
2008-01-03 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
The ex was stunningly supportive while I was simply running but the tri thing put him over the edge. Turns out he was supportive because he thought I would, to quote, "be done soon". When I wasn't, he didn't like me very much anymore. One of the more minor reasons for divorce!

The Jake gets it though. He was a downhill mtn bike racer for years and a swimmer too, so we bike and swim together. He requests that I don't take too much time from him for training, but has never actually complained. When we discussed IM he wasn't thrilled, mostly because he knows the kind of time involved, but agreed that we would do it together, once. By together he means he's going to do the bike and swim training with me and volunteer at the race. But I had to make the deal that it would be once.

I can respect that, support is great, but support for someone who spends all of her time on her own hobby is probably more than you can fairly ask for. Plus I think he'd appreciate if I took some time out from being the nutrition nazi.
2008-01-03 9:51 AM
in reply to: #1130420

User image

Champion
Butler
k_hase - 2008-01-03 9:07 AM I would, to quote, "be done soon".
That sucks and I have heard basically the same thing.  I never understood why someone who does not excerise can say things like that and expect us to be okay with it but if we said "when are you going to get your fat butt of the couch", we are insensative.
2008-01-03 9:55 AM

Extreme Veteran
Austin Texas
Good thread,

Mine is supportive when three criteria are met, 1) she is exercising, 2) her mental health is stable (Depression) and we are financially fit.

My wife was a supper competitive AG runner, winning numerous events, including here age group i the 2001 Bayou Classic in Houston, then in 2002 she blew her knees, gained about 20 lbs and has never lost it. Oh, and she can't run more than 3 miles without pain. She is the one who introduced me to running, I was a college tennis player, that was my only sport. So there is some envy there I suppose.

Currently, she is working (thus more income), exercising and her mood is stable so she is quite supportive. But as any spouse of a person with significant mental health issues knows, moods can be subject day to day.

2008-01-03 10:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
I'm in the same boat as kproudfoot, unfortunately. I've come to the point where I'd almost rather my wife not attend races, as I spend most of the time stressing over the conversation that will be had when I'm done, that it was hot/long/boring/buggy/crowded. I've even had to sacrifice and agree to not race/train hard Jan-May of 2008, so that she could focus on school. I tried on many occasions to compromise and assure her that training time would only be done around her schedule, but the only compromise was no racing/training. I won't to make my marriage stronger, so I'm willing to table the first half of the year with the understanding that the rest of the year is mine to race/train, as I please, as she'll be done in May for the remainder of the year. I hope to complete a 1/2 IM in late Oct and my first Marathon in Dec, but I'll have to wait and see.
2008-01-03 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1130623

User image

Champion
Butler
oldpueblotriguy - 2008-01-03 10:10 AM I'm in the same boat as kproudfoot, unfortunately. I've come to the point where I'd almost rather my wife not attend races, as I spend most of the time stressing over the conversation that will be had when I'm done, that it was hot/long/boring/buggy/crowded. I've even had to sacrifice and agree to not race/train hard Jan-May of 2008, so that she could focus on school. I tried on many occasions to compromise and assure her that training time would only be done around her schedule, but the only compromise was no racing/training. I won't to make my marriage stronger, so I'm willing to table the first half of the year with the understanding that the rest of the year is mine to race/train, as I please, as she'll be done in May for the remainder of the year. I hope to complete a 1/2 IM in late Oct and my first Marathon in Dec, but I'll have to wait and see.
Don't get me wrong I would love her to attend but the hot/long/boring/buggy/crowded would definately be heard (btw, you forgot early).  She really does not like mornings or hot so that makes it difficult.  She probably would  have come to my HIM this summer if she could have showed up for part of it but the race was basically a closed course and she would have had to a walk 1.5miles from the car to the finish with a 4 yr old.  I would not make her do that.
2008-01-03 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO

This is somewhat of a difficult question to answer.  At times it has been good and at times it has been bad.   When I first started training, my wife started running too.  She was doing well, but after her first 5k, she felt so slow that she gave up.  She then became very unsupportive of what i was doing.  She started saying that i was spending too much time away from her and our daughter and that she wasnt getting enough "her" time.  So I completely rearranged my schedule and tried to work it out so that I had the maximum hours at home and she could have some "her" time.   The problem came when she would never take any "her" time.   She would then say that she wasnt spending enough time with our daughter.... It was a vicious cycle.   She attended only one of my races last year and complained about it most of the time she was there.   

This fall I think we finally found a balance, hopefully it will last.  She has been more supportive and she signed off on me doing a HIM this year.   I was sure to show her my training plan before and assure her that I wouldnt be gone very much more than i am now.  I am hoping this support will last and I am optimistic that it will.  
Josh  

2008-01-03 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1129345

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
My dh is basically a couch potato. He is your typical football on, munchin' chips, etc..type of guy. When we first dated, he tried soooo hard to play the part of Mr. Athletic Dude...skiing, xcountry skiing, hiking etc.. and I didn't quite realize how much of a couch tater he was til we married. In spite of his lack of interest, he does occassionally surprise me with gifts of support - ie. tri gear presents, etc.. And he must be proud or something of me because he tells others about my races.  He only went to one race so far and that was pretty much due to my son wanting to go. They missed the swim but stayed for the rest and he took pictures (and he is usually the guy that forgets cameras for all occassions). He doesn't understand the sport much and doesn't ask much...maybe he's afraid I won't shut up with all my enthusiasm But without him, I know I could not train as easily with kids so we complement each other.
2008-01-03 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1130739

User image

Expert
Montana
My DH is awesome. He thinks triathlon is the sexiest thing I've ever done. I try to be really careful and not ask him for new equipment, because if i said I wanted something, he'd try to find a way, financially, that I could have it.

DH has come to one of three races. It was great having him and our girls there, but I don't expect him to. If the tables were turned, I'd be bored out of my mind while waiting.

2008-01-03 12:48 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

My wife has shown up to one race.  My first one as it was local and only two miles from my dad’s house where we stayed the night before (dad, step mom, and our 6 month old son came also).  She is ultra supportive and has on occasion suggested I get out on a run or bike on a weekend while our son was napping.  Yes, she thinks I’m crazy for running outside in the winter and for starting some runs at 9pm, but she always asks where I will be running (through the subdivision across the street with very little traffic).

Also, with two kids (this year) and her working every Saturday morning, it is difficult for her to make some races.  On top of that, she has fibromyalgia (which affects the muscles and inhibits the ability for anything endurance….like hauling kids around while daddy races), so I at least understand some of her not being at races and seeing my finish.

She has taken a ‘grin and bear’ it attitude to having my bike on the trainer (on a big sheet of cardboard) in the living room so I can slide it in front of the tv when I ride.  She doesn’t like it yet she also understands that the training makes for a happy hubby and a more fit hubby.

And to sum up:  I Love her for all that and more.

2008-01-03 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
My wife is fine with my tri obsession. The only time she is down on it is usually when I do a long ride and shes off work that day. We work crazy schedules so sometimes it happens, and I guess that's not all bad, because after 15 years we still enjoy our days off together. That being said I try to get my training in early or with her if were lifting or trail running.

She and the kids only made it to one of four tri's last season, but she was working 3 of them. I love having her and the kids show up, and she's doing what she can to change her schedule to make my first HIM this coming summer. She said there's no way she's missing my first HIM.

The only thing shes against is any mention of doing a IM distance tri. She has a friend (who is single, no kids) who does Tri's and even been to Kona and heard all the training she does for IM events. I'm never going to be Kona bound, but would like to do a long event once. So I'll have to see how 2008 goes with HIM and figure out if a IM is ever in my future, I was thinking 2009, but may push it back to 2010 or never.

Edited by rottieguy 2008-01-03 12:54 PM
2008-01-03 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
All of these posts have made me realize just how lucky I am! I just went upstairs to my wife (who is sick right now ) and give her a huge hug and kiss and said thanks! I am so glad that she is supportive of whatever I want to do. It does help that for the most part our kids are older and one of them is out of the house.

As I indicated in my previous reply, it also helps a lot that she enjoys walking and going for bike rides. We try to do what we can together, but at this point 99% of my training is done alone and without her.
2008-01-03 1:13 PM

Regular
Germantown, TN

This thread is great!  Glad to know that I am not alone out there.

My wife is in the middle - she doesn't discourage me, but she sure doesn't encourage me either.  She's convinced that this is just my latest obsession (I do tend to have an obsessive personality), which I do not find very supportive, but has given me the determination to prove her wrong.

Her biggest complaint is the time it takes away from the family so I have done my best to arrange my schedule to workout at lunch or early morning on the weekends. 

She was put out when I asked her to attend my first half marathon, but begrudingly went anyway.   Having her and the kids there was just not as satisfying as I thought it would be so I'm not going to push the issue for her to attend any other races. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spouse Support - Good or Bad Rss Feed  

of 4