United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 43m 24s
Overall Rank = 595/
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 133/300
Pre-race routine:

fell asleep around 830pm the night before. woke up at 2am on my own, ate 1/2 bagel and jam. Then woke up at 3:45 by alarm, had my normal bagel with strawberry jam, water, g-ade, cofee. Grabbed my stuff and Nicole and i went down to the race site. Finished getting my bags ready and stood in line for the port a potty for a long time. Nothing fancy here. One thing i did is put sunscreen on from head to toe (lotion) then once dry i put on spray suntan lotion on me and my clothes.
Event warmup:

treaded water for about 20 minutes
Swim
  • 1h 08m 37s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was hoping around 1hr to 1:05 for the swim. My biggest mistake is where i seeded myself. I was to the far left and about 20 meters back. I have never been in a mass start so i just didn't know about all the bodies. The first half of the race i was basically catching a draft, realized they were too slow then zipped past them, found more feet, too slow again. I just wanted some clean water. I would say the first15-20 minutes i could not breathe correctly as i was trying to dodge bodies. Just about the 1/2 way point i found some clean water to the far inside and swam just to the left of some guy that was going the speed i wanted. Reached halfway point in 37 minutes. Once on the backside, i had clean water all the way till the last turn in to the stairs. Basically drafted of the same guy the whole way. 31 minutes and some change... now that was more like it. I got out the water and feeling really good, not tired at all.
What would you do differently?:

Next IM or Mass start, I will move to the front of the line and battle from there vs farther back.
Transition 1
  • 05m 36s
Comments:

Overall good transition. Helmet and glassed on without a hitch, put on socks to be on the safe side as this was going to be a long day. Spray on sunscreen again and off for the bike

nothing - freakin tons of help
Bike
  • 6h 04m 59s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.41 mile/hr
Comments:

From the start you had a wind to your face of some kind on the way out. My hr monitor was acting up the first 20 minutes or so, i couldnt get a new read (new batteries in both). Finally it started to work consistently and my hr was too high. From my training my bike always is a little high but will come down so i was just cruising along. On the beeline it is a gradual uphill all the way and the wind was blowing fairly good but i was avg over 16 mph at the turn around. Never felt like i was pushing so this was good. On a bad note my stomach was hurting, I could blame it on the water i was swallowing but in reality this is normally a sign of pushing it a little too hard. On the way down the beeline.... now this was fun, i was barely pedalling and going over 30mph, i peaked out at 41.2 mph. As i came into town i checked my watch and first lap was 1:51, instant calculations and i was on track for 5:35-5:40 bike split. 2nd mistake, with the heat and wind I should have backed off the pace and save some for the run. On my 2nd loop i started to slow down some as i knew i was going too fast for conditions. As i approached the Beeline, there were too bikers ride side by side and talking. I attempted to pass the inside corner and at the last 2nd i saw the glass pile and ran over it. 2 flats, just like that. The volunteer then proceeded to clean up the large area of glass, after my flats. 24 minutes to change both, rear disc was 7 minutes, front 8 minutes. I aired up my disc, went to put air in front and my valve extender was cracked... what the hell. In a time of panic, i pulled the wheel off the bike again, ripped off the tire, and put old valve extender on aired it up and moved on. What i should have done was just screw it off and inserted new one while still attached. Oh well. In the meantime my stomach settled, another indicator of going to fast. My other concern was i had no desire to pee, I felt like i was drinking enough water but i knew i wasnt since i had no desire. After getting back on the bike i should have just cruised the rest of the way, instead i picked up my cadence and flew up the beeline, by the time i got to go down my legs were tired. I cruised down the beeline and got my Hr back under control. 3rd loop i did in 2hrs, nothing fancy just trying to drink more fluids. I stopped once to see if i could pee, a dribble of deep yellow, not good.

I should have gone slower first loop with the conditions and not pushed so hard after my flats. Of course more water. Nutrition felt ok
Transition 2
  • 04m 33s
Comments:

3 glasses of water, new socks, sunscreen again, hat, shoes and i was off

nothing
Run
  • 5h 19m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

When I first left the changing tent my legs actually felt ok. I hit mile 1 at 8:32, mile 2 at 17:01. Then i had the first signs of a long day, My core temp began to sore and i started to see some spots. I stopped and walked, collected my self for a few moments and then began to run again. At mile 4 i took in some gatorade and instantly i felt like i had to throw up, i saw a tree by the bridge and walked too it and sat down. At this point my hr was sailing in the 170's, i was seeing a sea of spots. A lady brought me a large 24oz bottle of cold water and gave it to me, asked me if i was ok and of course i said yes, just needed to cool down. 10 minutes or so went by, I had thoughts of DNF as i knew the signs of heat stroke/exhaustion. I decided to ride it out, once i felt better, my hr down I decided if needed i would walk the remaining 22 miles. I walked about 100 meters, then both quads cramped up, another 5 minutes of massage and walking thru the pain and i was good to go. I walked mile 4-7, then I felt like i could finally run again. I slowed my pace dramatically and i would run 4 - 6 minutes, then walk 1 minute. I could bore you with all the other details but this was basically my race the rest of the way. I met quite a few people along the way. During this time I found a true respect for the distance all the abilities of what the pro's can do and top AG'rs. Also the everyday folks like myself and the willingness to just chug along and determined to finish. At mile 22 my feet were aching, mile 23 i was getting excited and i ran the last 3 miles of the race. Crossing the line, i was so excited, My wife Nicole was there yelling my name, I heard my name from Mike, Jamie Bachman from Austin Texas 37, first time ironman...you are an Ironman. I couldn't believe it. I did it.

I could blame it on alot of things. It was my fault, my run is so much stronger, but you have to have respect to the bike to have a good run. Stomach hurts, your going to fast on the bike, settle down. One good thing about the run, i pushed thru alot of pain and it will help me down the road.
Post race
Warm down:

Nicole paid for a massage, stretch vs the 1hr wait for a free one. Sat on the grass with Nicole and thanked her for all the support. I could not have done this without her or any of my friends

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor bike pacing, lack of water
on a side note. race morning i weighed 155, when i got back to hotel 142. That was after a bottle of water and 3 pieces of pizza

Event comments:

My first attempt at IM distance, there will be another but not until 2010 per the MRS, I have a 1 year old son and 3 year old daughter that lost some time with daddy. Now if i get a lottery spot next year, the wife said ok. :)

Last updated: 2007-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:08:37 | 3862 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/300
Overall: 548/
Performance: Below average
Suit: xterra pro vector x2
Course: single loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:04:59 | 112 miles | 18.41 mile/hr
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 3 loop course from tempe out to Beeline and back to Tempe
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:19:39 | 26.2 miles | 12m 12s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loop around tempe town lake, park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 6:47 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman Arizona
http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=32044&ID=48668...

some photo's since i am terrible at pasting them here.

Edited by jpb0009 2008-04-21 6:50 AM

2008-04-21 7:33 AM
in reply to: #1350703

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Hell of a day Jamie.  Great job sticking it out.  Your report rang true with me the whole way and I can't believe that we didn't see each other out there!  See you at the races this year!
2008-04-21 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Great job on your race. on a tough day. The training kept you on pace despite the conditions and the misfortune of the flats.

With so many athletes and activity, it's not too surprising not to see each other.

See you at a race down the road!
2008-04-21 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Very interesting to read.  I have no desire to do an IM (or even to swim).  Your experience just doesn't sound fun to me but does leave me impressed that some of you folks have the desire.
2008-04-21 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Jamie, it was great meeting you and I'm sure I'll see you at more races.  Longhorn?  Great job gutting out a tough race.  You looked really good on the bike when you passed me.  I heard you say you had two flats and I thought "Man, what bad luck".  Still you pulled out a great race. 

Congratulations, Ironman.

2008-04-21 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great job and great report. you battled the competition, the course, the conditions and your mind telling you to stop. triathlons are a test of will and you won this battle. just know you gave it all you had and there will be the "next time" to improve on this performance. now that you have an awesome base in place for 2008 you should have no problem adding some speed to your game over the rest of the season. great job out there in the desert!!!!!!!!!

2008-04-21 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1350987

User image

Expert
jwithyco - 2008-04-21 9:14 AM

great job and great report. you battled the competition, the course, the conditions and your mind telling you to stop. triathlons are a test of will and you won this battle. just know you gave it all you had and there will be the "next time" to improve on this performance. now that you have an awesome base in place for 2008 you should have no problem adding some speed to your game over the rest of the season. great job out there in the desert!!!!!!!!!

thanks to everyone. as todde quoted me once during training. I was just trying to keep my spirits up and i said "it would be a piece of cake" todde's response was classic "you will eat a piece of humble pie".

he couldn't have been more right. I learned from some mistakes and will take this as a learning lesson but I am really proud i stuck it out and finished, a really big accomplishment
2008-04-21 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1351229

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Hey man great job out there!!!! Great race report the conditions sounded absolutely brutal out there. Way to stick it out and finish the race after all that happened with the flats and a tough run. Hey man just think of how easy Longhorn will seem now!!!! Congrats on becoming an Ironman, we'll see ya at the races this year.

Edited by redwingrob40 2008-04-21 1:38 PM
2008-04-23 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Two flats would've taken most folks completely out of their game but you still threw down a fast time. Considering all the hurting on the run, I'd say the day was more than respectable, it was downright strong.

40mph! Yikes - I topped out in the low 30's and was scared to go that fast for the wind gusts..You folks riding rear discs were a menace to society!

Congrats, IronMan!
2008-05-02 2:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin Texas
Wow! Thanks for such a detailed log. I don't know if I am more excited or more scared of IMAZ. I hope to find out in 2010.
2008-05-02 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Even with all the issues that came up I can't wait to get back. I learned alot from this race, and the farther I get away the more I actually remember. My poor run was my own fault, poor bike pacing and then trying to make up time after 2 flats on my 2nd loop, along with not enough water. I'll be better prepared next time, just have to wait though.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed