General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 53m 30s
Overall Rank = 308/723
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/56
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30am. In New Hampshire, it is already light at this time so that was kind of freaky. My hubby thought we had overslept. Ate a blueberry bagel with peanut butter. No coffee:( Drove to race site. Set up transition. Ate cliff bar at 6:30. Ate sport beans at 7:15.
Event warmup:

Waded around the lake, did a brief dunk to make sure wetsuit was in place and peed in wetsuit:)
Swim
  • 30m 58s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Newfound Lake is the most beautiful lake I have ever had the pleasure of swimming. Crystal clear and smooth. I started front and slightly to the right of the buoys because I tend to drift left. I found a great pair of feet and drafted all the way to the first turn buoy. Then I was warmed up and ready to kick it up a notch. I found a new pair of feet and latched onto those until the second turnbuoy. I was feeling absolutely fabulous, so I took off for the beach. Three stroke breathing, powerful pulls and straight as an arrow. This was my best OWS ever!!!
What would you do differently?:

Settle into 3 stroke breathing from the get go. I started out breathing every stroke until I got warmed up.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

This was my first time with wetsuit strippers. They kind of looked at me and finally one of the boys (they were all tweens) said "you need to lay down, m'am." Dope. So I laid down and they did the rest. Suit didn't get stuck:) I took the time to pull on my toe socks before grabbing my bike and running out.

Not be a dork in the wetsuit stripping area.
Bike
  • 2h 52m 10s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.52 mile/hr
Comments:

Keep in mind, my coach told me to race the swim and the bike like I didn't have to run. SO I went out aggressivley on the first loop. I felt great. I was passing people right and left. These were the roughest roads I have ever ridden on in my entire life. New Hampshire winters take their toll on the pavement. Mooseman is a cool race because when the going gets tough, the RD has signs and music going so you can try to keep your mind off of suffering. My first trip up the "devil" hill was great. No problems. I stayed seated, put it into an easy gear and spun up. Then, boom, I charged down the decent. Something funny happened towrd the end of the first loop. It started getting really hot. And the sun shone down in all its glory. And a breeze kicked up. Did I mention, it was really hot? Being from SC, this was ok at this time because these were the exact conditions I had been training in for weeks. I had brought four bottles on board and had already downed one and a half at this point. No problems. By the time I started the second loop, I wasn't nearly as enthusiastic about climbing. This course was either up or down, no flats. And it was hot, if I haven't mentioned that;) Did the devil hill again and told myself it was all downhill from here (liar). Next water bottle hand off zone, I sit up and take a gel after cresting yet another hill and as I'm beginning the descent, I see a guy go down hard in the road ahead of me. Two other guys immediately pulled over to assist. The racer was unable to sit up and I fear he broke his clavicle. But every one moves to the side, I finish the descent and reach behind me to pour my third water bottle in my aero bottle. It is not there. After I drained my aero bottle the first time, I started pulling the back bottles to refill. I knew the chances of ejecting a bottle would be pretty high on these rough roads. Unfortunately, the bottle I ejected was the full one. The empty one was snug in my Arundel carbon cage. No worries. I pulled the bottle from my down tube and dumped half into the aero bottle. Next aid station, I took some gatorade endurance and topped off the aerobottle. So my hydration did not suffer from this incident. When I climb, I try to stay aero. Of course, when it gets really steep, I will sit up so my back gets a break. By the last 15 miles of this course, I was sitting up alot. My right IT band had started talking to me. It told me it did not like to climb in the aero position. It also tried to tell me to aim for the potholes so that I could flat and thus DNF the race and not run. I tried to put these notions in the back of my head, but as the bike course finish was quickly approaching, these thoughts came out to play more and more.

I don't think I would do anything differently in this situation. Had I been 100 percent healthy and properly trained on the run, I would have been less aggressive on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

My hubby was cheering me on in T2 and I yelled at him "I wish I didn't have to run" as I left the transition area.

Switch to Aquabike so there would be no T2 and that other part that follows after T2.
Run
  • 2h 26m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Where do I start? I guess I'll start with the Plan. The Plan for this run was to do an easy jog, walking every aid station drinking and eating as needed. I grabbed some ice cold sponges on the way out of transition, stuck them in my shirt and I was off to finish my half ironman. Immediatley, people are passing me. They are not following my Plan. They are not doing the easy jog. I smile and cheer as the smoke around me. Up on the road, I look longingly at Newfound Lake. It is so cool and inviting. I could just throw myself off the road and into the lake. No. Not yet. That can wait. Oh look! Mile 1 is done. Yippee. Still easy jogging and smiling, I see the elite folks coming back in from their run. They are not smiling. They look bad. Pain is on their faces. I cheer them and tell them they look fantastic. I'm such a giver:) Yay. Here is an aid station. I walk, replace my sponges with new ones, drink some gatoreade, enjoy the music and moose horns, throw out my cup, then start the easy jog again. The Plan is working. The Plan gets me through the turnaround point (mile 3). I easy jog even the hills. Did I mention it was hot? And that I was getting passed like crazy? Suddenly, I find myself on the road back toward transition and there is no shade. It's prett hot. I have to go to the bathroom. My right foot is hurting. My armpits are chaffing. ANd suddenly, I am in whine and pity mode. I'm on vacation. Eff this!!! So I walk. And my smile returns. People console me as they pass me. "You are having a rough day" Sort of. But this is my choice. I walk and I walk and I walk. I pretty much walk 2.5 miles. I am limping now. When I got sprayed by the nice spectators and volunteers, my shoes got wet. So did my socks. Blisters are forming on my right toes. And they hurt like he double hockey sticks. Believe it or not, running makes them feel better. So I pick up the easy jog back into transition and make the dreaded turn toward "Second loop" instead of "Finish". I spy a port a potty. Like 6 porta potties. Right there on the race course. So I figure, since I'm on vacation, why be uncomfortable and primitive. I enter and do my business. I was afraid that my hammies would cramp when I sat down, but apparently I had not put forth enough effort for said cramping to occur. So I was on my merry way. I ate a couple of orange slices at the table on the way out of transition got sprayed with sunscreen, and I was easy jogging again. The Plan was still salvageable! Well this did not last long. It didn't even last to the first aid station. I was walking again. I walked and walked and walked. I was not alone. There were many others walking toward me finishing their first loop. We all looked the same. Hot, miserable, wondering what the hell we were thinking doing this race. I ried to easy jog again, but here is a hill. I will walk that. OK easy jog to the turnaround. Walk another aid station. Oh look! Mile 10. Out of curiosity, I look down at my watch. I am at 5:02. Holy crap! If I can maintain 10 minute miles for the last 5 K, I can pull off a 5 and half hour race. A hill is approaching. The theme from Jeopardy starts to play in my head. I decide, it is not worth it. I will do my best, but I will not be crippled for the rest of my vacation for this race. It's gonna be what it's gonna be. I catch up with a guy from Boston. He tells me "It hasn't been this hot this early in June since 1973". Lucky me. We start to run together. He wants to do 10 minute miles so he can make 6:15 for his total time. He is excited to hear that I have a good chance at coming in sub 6. We run to the next aid station. We walk, drink and start to run again. He is determined. It is freaking hot. I tell him good luck and walk some more. My flippin' right foot hurts. The lake looks especially inviting. That will be my reward for finishing. Playing in that beautiful lake. Looky looky! It's mile 12. I run and know that I will not stop running until I cross the finish line. People are cheering me on as they are heading out on their second loop. I thank them and tell them they will be finishing soon. I see go down the dirt hill toward transition. I see the signs. This time, I get to take the "Finish" route. The guy in the dress with the antlers calls out my name and the fact that I'm from SC and I raise my arms in a double fisted salute. Yes, Pamela, you are a Mooseman!!! And in under 6 hours!!

Obviously, run more. I was a real weenie during this half mary. But, I could walk and enjoy my vacation with my family. After my first HIM when I went 5:27 (on a less challenging course), I could barely walk the next day. And I couldn't run for over three months. I am hoping with this week's break and maybe a couple more, I can return to running and salvage the rest of my season. If not, oh well. There is always Aquabike:)
Post race
Warm down:

I stretched, and got in the lake. I talked to KathyG from BT. She had done the bike leg for Team Hippo. It was so nice to have a friend to talk to even though I was racing 1100 miles from home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, IT issues, lack of run training, hills, mental weenieness. I am giving this a high physical effort level for the swim and bike portions. I was on vacation during the run.

Event comments:

This was a blast! It was the largest triathlon I have ever competed in. And it was very well run. I highly recommend doing a travel race. It was so cool to race in a completely different environment and meet new people. I am very proud of my efforts on the swim and bike. Maybe one day I will get to do a half ironman and be completely healthy and trained for the run.

Last updated: 2008-01-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:58 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/56
Overall: 132/723
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Full
Course: Rectangular loop in Newfound Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:52:10 | 56 miles | 19.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/56
Overall: 177/723
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Two loop hilly course. Mainly out in the sun.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:26:30 | 13.1 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/56
Overall: 468/723
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loop rolling course with the vast majority of it in the blistering sun.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-12 10:41 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

2008-06-12 10:47 PM
in reply to: #1464040

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

That is insanely ridiculously mindblowingly fast, especially the swim and the bike. You RAWK!!! Especially for things not going according to The Plan during the run. Super kudos for powering through it anyway.

I loved the detail about peeing in the wetsuit and being stripped by tweens.  

2008-06-12 10:51 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Congratulations!!

Way to rock that swim and bike!!!  And you even made it through the run, which was probably way harder than the first two parts. Don't know if I could have done that.

And thanks for the lesson on wetsuit strippers.  I certainly didn't know that. 

2008-06-13 6:09 AM

Uxbridge
Great meeting you at dinner the night before. AWESOME RACE!!! Good job in the blistering heat!
2008-06-13 8:23 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Pam,

I am so impressed with your hanging in there on such a tough & challenging race course.  Great job finishing strong!

2008-06-13 8:47 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

You rocked this race woman!

It was great meeting you - watching you swim with Kathy on saturday was a pleasure - you are such a strong, smooth swimmer - makes it looks so easy! I would like to say someday I will look like that but I know better.....

enjoy your vacation! 

2008-06-13 8:51 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Pam, AWESOME race!  Way to hang in there in the heat, and post-injury nonetheless...you rock...I'd take a sub-6 on a touch course anytime

Congrats!

2008-06-13 9:13 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
great race onf a tough day, congrats!
2008-06-13 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1464051

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Waded around the lake, did a brief dunk to make sure wetsuit was in place and peed in wetsuit

Wow, talk about a complete RR. LOL

Wetsuit strippers? Don't tell Yanti. She'll sign up just for that. Oh wait, she already commented on them.

It also tried to tell me to aim for the potholes so that I could flat and thus DNF the race and not run.

LOL, good for you for not listening to your IT band.

Yes, Pamela, you are a Mooseman!!! And in under 6 hours!!

Fantastic race report. You ought to turn it into an article for BT.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE A MOOSEMAN!

Edited by D001 2008-06-13 9:57 AM
2008-06-13 5:50 PM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

That swim was awesome and I loved this line

It also tried to tell me to aim for the potholes so that I could flat and thus DNF the race and not run.

Way to stick it out on the stroll through the heat.

2008-06-13 6:11 PM

User image

Elite
Utah

WAHOO PAM!!!  You kicked moosebutt on that one!!!!

WTG!!!

Glad you were still able to enjoy your vacation

And look at how you placed among your peers, that's so awesome!!!

Edited by geauxtri 2008-06-13 6:12 PM

2008-06-13 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Awesome job Pam!! Glad you had fun with it, and way to make it through all the way!! You attacked the parts you knew your body could, and you still did incredibly well over all even though your mind/body was trying it's best to convince you otherwise!! Don't be surprised when I still your line "Did I mention it was really hot?" here in a couple of weeks.  Great to watch you train for this and enjoy it!!
2008-06-14 8:05 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Congrats, Pam! And awesome job -- on everything -- although that swim and bike were soooper fast.

Did the tween strippers really call you ma'am? That is teh roxxor. I loved your RR.

You are a MOOSEMAN. (And I still wanna be you when I grow up.)

WHOO WHOO WHOO!
2008-06-15 9:01 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
congrads. nothing harder when your hurting and trhe finish line is there and you know you have to turn to keep going. Way to stick with it. Its not easy.
2008-06-15 8:56 PM

User image

MotoQueen
Way to go with Mooseman, are you now a Moosegirl? Super job on the race.
2008-06-15 9:04 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Pam you executed your race plan racing the swim and bike and wicked fast too Best ows race ever...sweet!

It was fantastic meeting you and your family over the Moose weekend. I agree with Cat you are beautiful and smooth swimming.

Awesome job and it was hot/humid 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Distance Rss Feed