Korff Enterprises
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 49m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 205/409
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2am (yes, 2am), had a couple of pb&j's and took the subway to the race. Set up transition in the dark. Walked around and met Michelle (mburkhart) and said hello to Kristen (Lazymarathoner). Then got my wetsuit and hiked a mile upstream to the swim start.
I had a bottle of "Tiger" gatorade and 4 margarita shot bloks on the way up to the start.
Event warmup:

Did I mention the mile walk to the swim start? No warmup needed. In retrospect I should have stretched a lot more than I did, although I'm not sure if it would have helped.
Swim
  • 19m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

The current was amazing. Once we started, I got into a very fast, comfortable rhythm very quickly. The group thinned out, and the current was so strong that I didn't even bother drafting very much. I had intended to stay way to the right, where the current is strongest, but somehow I ended up drifting way to the left. I hadn't been sighting as much as I usually do, figuring that, since it's a straight-line swim, there was no need, but that was a mistake.
At about the 2/3 mark, just as I started passing people from the previous wave (which is always fun), I got NAILED by one or more jellyfish. It hit me in the face, just below my goggles, and swept around the right side of my neck and down into my wetsuit to about the base of my neck. And it hurt like a motherf*cker. I'e never been stung before, and It was incredibly painful, and since it was IN MY SUIT, it wouldn't go away. But, there I was in the middle of the Hudson, so not much to do but keep going. Once I hit the ramp, I couldn't get out of my suit fast enough. Overall, it was a good swim, despite the problems.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better. Not get stung. Not run under the stupid shower, which apparently reactivates the jellyfish toxins.
Transition 1
  • 07m 26s
Comments:

We had a 400y run to transition, and, since I was barefoot, I didn't want to push it and tax the calf, plus I was busy dealing with jellyfish tentacles.

Once I got to transition, everything went ok. I took 2 Enduralytes and got on the bike. Long run from the swim entrance, but I was close to bike out.

Not having to baby my calf would have allowed me to run faster to transition. Other than that it was ok.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 56s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.65 mile/hr
Comments:

This was pretty good ride all in all. I got passed by lots of people, but mostly on tri bikes with race wheels, which I don't worry about. I was confident in the aerobars on all the descents. I have to check my Garmin, but I was well above 30mph on several of them, and I'm pretty sure I cracked 40mph at one point. That was fun. I didn't have any of the problems with the highway joints that some people have had, flatting or losing waterbottles and whatever. I really enjoyed this course.

Nothing. This was not an easy course, and I managed a pretty good split. A year ago, I was averaging 18mph on flat sprint courses, so to be able to average 18.6 over a hilly 25m course is progress I'm proud of.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

A decent transition. I took another enduralyte, grabbed my little bottle of water (since there are no stops for the first mile+), shoved 2 gels in my pocket, and took off. I had a long run from my rack to run out.

I can't think of anything specific. It was ok. I fumbled with my race belt and all my crap, and that slowed me down a little.
Run
  • 1h 01m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Right as I passed the Brooklyn Tri Club cheering section, followed almost immediately by my wife at about the 1 mile mark, my calf grabbed me. Same tight, painful crampiness that I've been dealing with for weeks. I tried adjusting my stride, adjusting my pace, I took a couple of short walk breaks, even stopped at one point to massage it, and nothing helped. So I just decided to gut it out. It never got better. At various times I thought a lot about Lucy, and that really helped. It didn't make the pain go away, but it was a distraction (a couple of times, I got pretty emotional, which has never happened in a race), and it definitely inspired me to keep going. Mile after mile ticked by slowly, as seemingly my entire age group ran past me. I developed a blister on my foot from the water I poured on my head to keep cool. Every corner seemed to reveal another hill, and I started to feel hot and dehydrated and light-headed, despite taking in water at every stop. Finally, I realized that we must be getting close, and that, miraculously, my goal of 3 hours was still in reach, despite the slow pace I was grinding along at. I had a little left for a kick when I hit the chute, but honestly, for the first time, I was really happy a race was over.

Not get hurt. Not let water get in my shoes.
Post race
Warm down:

I went through the chute, got my towel and my medal, and managed a couple of bottles of water and vitamin water. Got my finisher photo taken, and found my family. Getting back to transition and then home on the subway with all my gear was a pain. Finally, made it home after a long day, and my son and I passed out together on his bed and slept for 2 hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This freakin' injury. I never really believed that it was 100%, and I suspected that it would bother me at some point, but I didn't expect it to be Mile 1. That was disappointing, because up to that point, I was feeling really strong, fitness-wise. No question in my mind that I could have run a lot faster but for the injury.
Oh, and the jellyfish sting didn't help much.

I think it's funny that I finished 205 out of 409. Literally, MOP.

Event comments:

This race isn't perfect, by any means, but they do an amazing job, considering the magnitude of it. It's a great course, there are zillions of super-helpful volunteers, the expo and the post-race stuff is fantastic. It's expensive, and it has other flaws, but it's not for nothing that it's one of the premier events in the country. I'll definitely do this race again, but I'll probably volunteer next year so that I can do it again in '10 for free.

Last updated: 2007-09-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/409
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: 2XU Comp II full
Course: Straight line swim downstream. Waiting for the race to start, you float in the water, hanging on to a rope to avoid getting swept downstream. The current was so strong, it was like sitting in a horizontal waterfall. I think that's the best way I can describe it. It was that powerful.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:56 | 24.85 miles | 18.65 mile/hr
Performance: Good
HR was pretty well managed.
Wind: Some
Course: This was a long loop on what are normally highways which were closed for the event. A couple of long, relatively steep hills. The high point for me was riding my bike through a toll both. Got a little bit of a headwind on the ride back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 83
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:01:15 | 06.21 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
HR was very high-- 170+ for much of this run. My LT is around 167, so this was a torturous run for me.
Course: 1 mile across 72nd street, followed by a loop of the northern half of Central park. Lots of rollers, 2 big hills. two smaller descents.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 8:31 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: New York City Triathlon

2008-07-20 9:08 PM
in reply to: #1544095

Regular
Subject: RE: New York City Triathlon
Congrats! sounds like a good race and you beat your goal by quite a lot. and not only did you have to deal with the huge jellyfish, but inside the wetsuit!?? true grit.
2008-07-20 9:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York, NY
wow you did a great job on what sounds like a really tough race! congratulations!
2008-07-21 4:03 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Awesome race report.
2008-07-21 6:03 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Congratulations. I like you. You're good people.
2008-07-21 6:54 AM

User image

Master
NJ
Great job! It sounds like a great race - always fun to race close to home!

2008-07-21 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1544832

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Fantastic.. great job .. I too suffer from the "calf" and just when I think its good.. I was a volunteer at this race this year, so I wouldn't have to pay in '09.. I was working with the Pro and PC people.. is Greg Bennett awesome or what ? but the real question is, isnt Scott Rigsby truly awesome or what !!!! all finishers had a tough race .. and your time of 2:49 is awesome..
2008-07-21 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Great race, way to tough it out with the calf. Get healthy for next year.
2008-07-21 8:10 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

awesome job and great report!

you are braver than I am jumping into the hudson!

we had jellyfish last week at Sobe Mossman too - they really do hurt!!!

2008-07-21 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

so now you can tell your son you "took on the jellies" and you were like "whoa!" and they were like "whoa!"... hope the sting is somewhat better today

awesome job - must've been really hot out there, from the sun? no, from you burning up the bike course

pesky injuries are really annoying, but you're making the right choice to heal it up now

congratulations! 

2008-07-21 8:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Great race report Jonah -so nice to finally meet you in person yesterday. You race time rocked! i was suprised to hear all the complications you had along the way -you ar amazing. looking forward to getting some rides in w/ you in the coming months. Get some well deserved rest  -you earned it!

2008-07-21 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

Congrats on the solid bike leg.  I agree in that I thought the hype on the expansion joints was a little overblown, I didn't have any problems there either.

Sorry to hear about the jellyfish IN the wet suit.  That sucks.

So true about the support on this race, I was amazed at the number of volunteers they needed to cover all the walkways in Central Park so we could have an unencumbered run.

Nice race!

2008-07-21 12:16 PM

User image

N Y C
Great job...fun race!
2008-07-21 12:34 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Great race Jonah! I'm so glad we had a chance to meet at the expo and on race day. Thanks for the help with my tires, I didn't even know what psi was! Hope to see you again soon. If you want to join on a 9W ride, just let me know!
2008-07-21 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii

I found that pretty neat that you took the subway to and from the race! Great job enduring through the tough spots!

2008-07-21 4:06 PM

User image

Expert

Great job pushing through the jellyfish and calf incidents. I'm not a big fan of the jellyfish while racing. I just thought you should know.

When did you start thinking about the IV?

2008-07-23 10:01 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

What a smoking swim time!  With or without current that is awesome.  2 am is a real early wake up, no wonder you were wiped out when you got home.  I guess your start time was a bit earlier than my 7:30 start.  The jellies got me too, right on the lip to start then a few other places for good measure.

I too rode the subway back.  I had not changed clothes so I was a sweaty mess in tri shorts and a sleeveless top pimpin' in the subway.  My wife laughed at me all the way to the hotel.  Good job on a great race.

2008-07-23 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Awesome race! Bummer about the injuries, but you are so lucky to do such a cool event! Congrats
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York City Triathlon Rss Feed