General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 37s
Overall Rank = 39/455
Age Group = M45-50
Age Group Rank = 5/34
Pre-race routine:

Had folks over for pasta, chicken and Guitar Hero the night before. Worked until after midnight (not too bright, but I wanted to get some things done). The girls stayed with different friends because Julie was also racing. Up a few minutes after 5, stopped at Dunkin Donuts for coffee and a bagel.

Got there, set up transition, mingled, socialized, wondered if I was going to have another race like Sodus a few weeks back (this would be a bad thing). I also enjoyed the fact that this was the first time Julie and I were both doing the same tri.

Due to HiFi probably being cancelled, this suddenly became my last tri of the season and I really wanted to end this season with a decent performance.
Event warmup:

The usual. Which would be none.
Swim
  • 15m 41s
  • 792 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ow. Literally.

I was going to try to draft off of Dud at the beginning which lasted for about 2 body lengths at which point he turned his propeller on.

I have this problem with my left ring finger where I get excruciating pain under the nail at different times. I had surgery for it at the beginning of the year, which helped a bit, but it's still a problem. Quick decreases in temperature can set it off bad. At it's worst it feels like the tip of my finger is being sliced off. That's how it felt once I got into the water today. It was screaming until just before the first buoy. That completely messed up the first part of this swim. I don't really remember much of the out portion, just the pain and trying to stay somewhat on course.

Around the first buoy, the pain subsided and I could concentrate on swimming. Found some feet and hung on around the second buoy and another 100 yards or so at which point his navigation got screwy, so I found someone else and drafted off of them most of the way into shore. I swam until my elbows hit sand. Lots of people were walking around me, but I'd rather swim than walk in water.
What would you do differently?:

Find a new hand surgeon.

Otherwise, I just need to swim more consistently. The Y I go to is starting a Masters program soon. That could be just the ticket.
Transition 1
  • 01m 51s
Comments:

Not too bad. Wetsuit came off ok. Took a little longer to get the shoes on than I would have liked. I really could stand to do these faster. Don't know if I'm slow in the run out of the water or the actual transition. Maybe both.

OA: 76
AG: 10
Bike
  • 41m 32s
  • 13.81 miles
  • 19.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I had one mantra on this ride: "Your job here is to pass people." I really wanted to catch Dud near the end of the run and between his swim, his recently hard earned strength on the bike and his improved run I was worried about this. So I just went hard.

Not crazy hard, but harder than I normally would. This was good. Went totally on PE, didn't look at HR or speed once. Just rode and pushed. Pushing the bike is a mental block of mine. Today I didn't care and was willing to find out what it felt like. I was passed by one guy at the beginning of the ride, but other than that I was yelling "On your left" pretty much the whole ride. I also tried to yell something encouraging to everyone I passed. I figured I might blow up so if they passed me later I wanted to bank some goodwill. :)

Nothing. This was a good bike for me.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Could have been faster. Had a racking problem because my neighbor threw his wetsuit in my race space which prevented my tire from getting in the slot. Had to move the wetsuit.

First time running without socks in a race. I'm a convert. Some Aquaphor in the shoes and ZIP! right in there.

OA: 171
AG: 4

Not much. I can always move a bit faster.
Run
  • 23m 17s
  • 3.27 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow. Where did this run come from? I've hardly trained for weeks and weeks. Out of T2, I looked down at the 305 and saw a pace of 6:35 and thought "Too hard! You'll blow up!". But I felt great. So I went with it.
Saw mtimofeeff who yelled something about "he's way ahead". I immediately thought of Dud and figured "oh no!" so I pushed on. Saw Dud about a minute later. He looked ok, said something encouraging and I felt good so I decided to keep the pace up. Not too long after this, I started thinking about actually having a sub 7 minute pace for a Sprint run, a goal I've had for a while now. I didn't do it here, but I still ran way better than I planned so I'm not complaining. I'm convinced it'll happen next year. I passed a couple of people on this run that I just never pass. Ever.

It could have happened here, but every time my focus would degrade, I'd slow down. That's a big thing to work on.

Tried to do a gel but I ended up aspirating the freaking thing with about 6 oz of water. Ugh.

Saw lots of folks on the run course, one of my favorite things about this race. All the switchbacks give you a chance to see so many people.

Not try to breathe a gel.
Focus better.

Otherwise this was a very good run.
Post race
Warm down:

Socialized a bit, waited for Julie to come in and ran the last 50 yards or so along the chute with her. Hung out for a little while but a cold drizzle started and it was time to get out of there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some extra weight, for sure.

Event comments:

A good race as usual. They were laser focused on getting the waves started on time this year and it worked. Very impressive. The course improvements over the years are working well. Very good management and security in transition.

I don't understand why they were yelling at people to get bags out of the transition area and literally threatening over a megaphone that if you have a bag in transition it might not be there when you finish the race.
What are you supposed to do with your gear bag? Bring it back to your car? The parking isn't close. That just created stress and confusion that no one needed literally minutes before transition closes. Disallowing 5 gallon buckets makes sense, those can roll and be a hazard. But gear bags?

The food was so-so, which was surpring. It's usually much better. I have one other way it could be improved: faster results online. That's really a Score-This thing. They're a top notch race production company but they really are slow about getting race results up, particularly compared to other race production companies. That's not going to change until their customers, the RDs, start pressuring them to get results up at least by the evening of the race.

The Finger Lakes Triathlon is growing and for good reason: it's a great race. Every year they look for ways to improve it and they do. The RD is creative and committed. Well run, lots of fun and it's a fundraiser for a great cause.

Last updated: 2008-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:41 | 792 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/34
Overall: 107/455
Performance: Below average
Suit: Ironman Sleeveless
Course: Out about 350 yards, left for 100 or so, then left again into shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:32 | 13.81 miles | 19.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/34
Overall: 40/455
Performance: Good
Avg HR 165
Wind: Little
Course: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=64920 Fun course. I mostly like the new changes quite a bit, but the narrow lanes at the beginning and end are tough. Other than that, not bad. The climb at the beginning does a nice job of spreading the pack out without being too much of a killer and the descents are awesome.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:17 | 03.27 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/34
Overall: 34/455
Performance: Good
See my log.
Course: I'm semi-convinced that the run course was long. My Garmin had me at a 7:05 pace and the course at 3.29 miles. Other people also had similar results.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 8:20 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-09-22 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1687664

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Nice job beating Dud on the run.  Great pushing past the pain on your swim.
2008-09-22 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Great race- what a fantastic run!  My garmin said 3.27 miles also for the run, which is what I'm using!  I agree about the bag thing- what's up with that?  I left mine in the area (scrunched down) and it didn't get taken away, fortunately.
2008-09-22 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Great race!!  I agree about the narrow lanes at the beg. and end of the bike-- a little too close for comfort for me.  This was my first FLT and I had a great time too!
2008-09-22 12:55 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I think you have been sandbagging ! Or maybe it was the kiss I sent you coming out of the water!

Great job Mike, you really looked comfortably strong when I seen you on the run course!

2008-09-22 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1688485

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Nice work!!  Even with the unfortunate issues with the finger, you still did fantastic!  Congrats on the AG top 5 and a really solid run after everything else!

2008-09-22 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Greay JOb Mike!!! WOW super fast run....holy smokes!! what is up with your finger???
2008-09-22 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
"Eat my dust" is encouragment??  Good job Mike Sweet run. 
2008-09-22 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

So, the bike is actually 13.81 and the run is 3.27??  cool. 

Awesome race Mike!  You are such a strong runner!

I agree the food stunk this year, but I think Score-This is much better at posting results than Yellow Jacket.  

Thanks again for the pre-race meal!!  Had a wonderful time!  

2008-09-22 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Oh yeah, send me that guitar hero pic and maybe it'll be my new avatar!
2008-09-22 10:59 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Heck of a race!  Great seeing you and Julie!!

2008-09-23 4:40 AM

User image

Elmira, NY
It was great to see you and J at the race.  You looked super strong whenever I saw you.  I guess there is something to be said for being rested for a race.  One of these years we should do a BT tent or something like that so we can all hook up at one location. 
2008-09-23 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Congrats on your great race, and especially that excellent run!
2008-09-24 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Nice race.  There were alot of people that had difficulty getting shoes on....given how cold it was in the water, on quick with room to spare should have been the routine of the day!  Freakin' fast run....don't teach Dex to run like that or there is no hope for me!
2008-09-25 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Well done. Funny what we can accomplish when we're rested and relaxed, even if we're not in "prime" shape. Weather was a a real boost. Nice to spend calories on muscle contractions rather than cooling.

I'm looking forward to next year's event. Hopefully, I can make it out to you BT dinner next time around. Very generous of you to open your house up like that.
2008-09-27 5:58 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great race....speedy fast run..sub 7's next year. Bummer that the surgery didn't fix the finger issue.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed