Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite Part of Your Wedding? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-02-10 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Favorite Part of Your Wedding?

Hi! So, I'm getting married on May 30th. Wooo!

I'm finding that wedding planning is making people a little insane, however. In the interests of keeping perspective, I'm curious to hear from you, my fellow BT'ers, about the favorite part of your wedding day, what you remember most and liked most (in addtion to, I'm assume, getting married to someone you love), and what ended up really being "worth it" in terms of planning and details.

I suppose I'm also interested to hear about things that you didn't end up enjoying, or didn't go as planned, etc.

Talk to me, people.

2009-02-10 12:01 PM
in reply to: #1954730

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
Subject: RE: Favorite Part of Your Wedding?

During the vows she stumbled over the POOR part of "for richer or poorer."  Thought that was funny, yet cool.

On the ride to the reception we were past by part of my groomsman part and were mooned by one groomsman and the Best Woman's fiance. 

The fact that I had a Best Woman instead of a Best Man.  The best man is was (and still is) in the Navy and couldn't make it.

The reception was a blast and the wife and I were the last to leave (not counting the DJ).

DJ's quote to me regarding myself and the groomsmen: "I've never seen five sober white guys on a dance floor at the same time....WITH RYTHYM!"

The wife saying there will be no cramming the cake into the face then trying to cram it into mine.  I have a longer reach.  6.5 years later she may still have cake up her nose.

There are more wonderful memories but that will do.

ENJOY your wedding and take note of all the little things that don't go as planned.  Those are the fun things to laugh about later.

2009-02-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1954770

User image

Master
The divorce
2009-02-10 12:02 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

The best part - well, seeing my wifey all dressed up in her wedding gown looking quite radiant, and then responding "YES" to that little question "Do you ....?"!

Another really great part was making sure that wifey and I personally visited everyone during the reception dance and thanked them for coming.

And then, there's that little private time after everything completed, and we were by ourselves.  Sleeping.  Okay, maybe just BEFORE we fell asleep.

Not so good part - the boyfriend of one of my sisters (ex now, thank goodness) was "baby-juggling" at our reception dance.  He was balancing his daughter, my niece, by having her stand on his outstretched hands/palms.  She was about 15 - 18 months old and was just starting to walk in the past few weeks.  WHAT A MORON!  I had to tell him to stop it, and then he had the gall to tell me that I need to have the floor mopped up of some spilled liquid that was by him.  EXCUSE ME??

Enjoy the day as much as you can and make it the BEST day possible!

Edited by 1stTimeTri 2009-02-10 12:04 PM
2009-02-10 12:03 PM

User image

We got married in Maui.  My wife didn't want a big wedding and all the planning hoopla.  We picked a date, told everyone, and said "you are all invited to come to our Maui wedding" but also said you are on your own for lodging, etc. and what to do while we eat pizza

It was very small and very nice.  My mother and my mom's best friend, her parents and her best friend came.  Had a party after we came back.  But the wedding day was about us.

2009-02-10 12:04 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida

Congratulations!!

Let's see - best parts - good food,  open bar and all the people we loved.  It sounds obvious, but I was thinking about a destination wedding and my mom reminded me some of my older aunts & uncles wouldn't be able to come.  I couldn't imagine getting married without my whole family there so we stayed closer to home.

I always tell people to go for the videographer. Lots of people skip it, but it was one of our favorite things.  We're coming up on our ten year anniversary and we still watch the video - there are so many little things you can forget without it.  Not to mention that my kids love watching our wedding day!

Things that didn't  matter as much - the favors, colors (I didn't pick any, but everyone told us we should have special colors), the rug (I almost didn't pick one of my favorite places because I thought the rug was ugly - luckily an older teacher I worked with convinced me we would never remember the rug in 20 years!)

And my brother's wedding had lots of don'ts - don't make everyone wait over an hour to eat so you can all get dolled up, make us watch a 1/2 hour video montage of you as kids (I liked this - just do it when we can eat and watch - or during the cocktails or something) which then ended with a 10 minute montage of the actual wedding reception in the church even though we were all just there watching it live an hour ago then make a huge ridiculous enterance while we are all wondering where the food is. 

If I had to put things in order from most to least important I guess it would go something like this - Family & friends, open bar, good food, video & photos, good music, good location, nice dress.

Oh yeah, and I really made sure that I stopped and looked around as much as I could so I could enjoy the night.  After we had to leave the reception we all went back to the hotel bar so I could spend more time with my family.  Then after that bar closed we went up to my hotel suite so we could spend more time with our friends!  They left at 4:30am, but it was all worth it!

Edited by MomX3 2009-02-10 12:06 PM

2009-02-10 12:07 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL

Oh yeah, telling the wife-to-be that I was golfing the morning of the wedding.  She said, "You can't do that!"  "Why not?"  "If emergencies come up you'll need to handle them."  "Honey, if emergencies come up the morning the wedding it will be something that can't be fixed like the limo exploding, the DJ gets sick or frys the equipment.  Stuff I won't be able to fix, so I'll be golfing.  You get to hand out with the girls getting hair and make-up done so I get to have my relax time too."

Tee-Time, 8am.  2 Mike's Hard Lemonade's on the front 9 and two more on the back.  Lips were numb-bly.  Stop at Burger King for a gut bomb, bag of grease and a HUGE iced tea did the trick.

2009-02-10 12:41 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
The wedding planning got nuts for us towards the end...like our bakery going out of business due to crap economy, and the fact that the bride (me) was living in another country. Go figure. But it will be 3 months married for us on Sunday!

-The morning of at my house. My dad was so nervous so he went out and worked on his corvette and then took it around the block (while using a milk crate as a seat....) and was really proud of leaving tire marks in the driveway. My bridesmaids were all there, and our photographer (none other than the talented DonTracy!) was there too, and everyone was just eating and laughing and relaxing.

-The ceremony. We chose very "different" readings than what is normally used at a Catholic wedding. We chose them because we wanted to reflect the idea that we as a married couple aren't just marrying each other...we're becoming a team and our team has a very important role in the community at large, and as marrieds we have to hold eachother to that promise. Our priest had a very very sweet homily and read a Scottish blessing, and we got a ton of compliments on it (even from our atheist friends!). We were completely surprised too, we had no idea what he was going to say until he said it!

- Skipping the limo. I detailed Pat's Civic the night before the wedding (and by detailed, I mean DETAILED!) and we decided to drive ourselves to the reception. It was great to have some downtime between events and enjoy being married. And we had no idea, but Pat's mom had tied cans underneath the car, and we had a "just married!" sign on there too. People were honking and waving at us all the way down the highway.

-Skipping the DJ. We used Pat's laptop so we could control what was being played. We got a lot of big band and swing for the cocktail/cookie hour and dinner so people could mingle and talk (and it pleased my grandfather greatly!). We also programmed it to play lots of oldies and dancy stuff...and we were able to keep from having anything in appropriate that would upset the kids.

2009-02-10 12:42 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Things I remember:

Nan almost tripped walking down the isle because the grass was wet and her dress was exactly the length of the floor.  It was a good thing because it kept my "allergies" from making my eyes water.

The dancing!  We had our wedding at 12 so everybody was dancing.  The first song was "Welcome to Atlanta" and my Best Woman (female best man) dedicated "I like big Butts". 

Seriously, there is only one thing you have to remember on your wedding day.  and I'm SERIOUS.  The only thing you need is you, him and the pastor.  Everything else is extra.  So as long as those 3 things are there, don't stress!

2009-02-10 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1954773

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
jonmetz - 2009-02-10 1:02 PM

The divorce.

This.
2009-02-10 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1954777

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
ChrisM - 2009-02-10 12:03 PM

We got married in Maui.  My wife didn't want a big wedding and all the planning hoopla.  We picked a date, told everyone, and said "you are all invited to come to our Maui wedding" but also said you are on your own for lodging, etc. and what to do while we eat pizza

It was very small and very nice.  My mother and my mom's best friend, her parents and her best friend came.  Had a party after we came back.  But the wedding day was about us.

I so envy you.  Thats what my wife and I wanted.  But were a southern family so we had the big ceremony and the white tent.  We were so glad when that crap was over. 

To the OP congratulations.

2009-02-10 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

I was married within 8 weeks of the proposal. I was 39 and he was 44 so why wait and we didn't want a big hoopla at our ages. 

My dress cost 300 bucks! HA! It was gorgeous but at 39 I didn't think the whole big poofy dress, long veil/train etc.. were necessary. So the saved cash went to the food!

We were married outside overlooking a lake....so beautiful! And lucked out with connections for the venue.

Best part: The two of us standing up while eating dinner and thanking everyone for coming. Also, our dance. But I wish we had taken ball room dancing. My hubby can't dance  

Spending alone time with my folks in the limo on the drive over was meaningful.

Video footage of dh and I talking about our future.

Cameras left at each table for the guests to take candid photos. Some reallllly funny ones as the night wore on.

It's all about you and your husband so don't sweat the details - enjoy the day. (you'll probably be exhausted the day after so I'd recommend a massage...wish I had done that)

2009-02-10 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
CONGRATS!!!

My 1 year wedding anniversary is may 18th!

My favorite part was a few things:

1. nothing really bad happened, everyone was on time, items were correct, family didn't get lost etc.etc..etc...absolutely PERFECT day in massachusetts-in may-70, sunny, no clouds etc..

but my favorite part was seeing my soon-to-be-wife before our Ketubah signing( in judiasm your supposed to see the bride beforehand when you sign the ketubah)

she looked so incredibly beautiful that I actually teared up. We had been together and living together for 8 years and when i turned around and saw her fully decked out I lost it.

I will always remember that moment.

My last favorite part was during the service itself when her and I were close together wrapped in Talit as the Rabbi was saying a prayer, and we both kind of just leaned into each other and touched foreheads, I closed my eyes to get lost in that moment and sure enough she had done the same. The pitcures we got from that moment are incredible. Kinda like you can feel us together in the picture. Ill try to find it and post it.

BTW-my wife doesn't even come on this site, so all this is actually me.

anyways-ill offer some advice....

Whatever happens that day-happens, don't worry bout the money youve spent or the craziness around you. This is about you and your partner.

enjoy that day because it goes by in a blink.

2009-02-10 1:19 PM

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

We were married on December 31st, 1999.  The best part had to be when we ended the reception part and turned the night into a New Year's Eve party at 11:45 and rang in the year 2000 with all of our friends and family.

Aside from that, don't remember much as the night was a total whirlwind...

2009-02-10 1:20 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Having my dad walk me down the aisle and seeing my soon to be husband waiting there for me

Having almost all our guests dancing almost all of the evening.

Not so good: Having my husband remove all 448 or so bobby pins from my hair after the reception. 

And donating to Smile Train instead of buying wedding favors. (My husband was born w/ a cleft palate)

Edited by kristinc0916 2009-02-10 1:21 PM
2009-02-10 1:32 PM

User image

Brookfield, WI

It will be 13 years for me in August.  We had a big Catholic wedding with the full ceremony. 

The one thing that I enjoyed the most was the time at the church.  I always felt that the church ceremony was for us and the reception was for everyone else.  One funny part that I will always remember about the reception was the DJ tripping over his own power cord and losing sound for 10 minutes while everything booted back up.

We also skipped the limo too.  We hired a small coach bus to take the entire wedding party from the church to take pictures and to the reception.  We also stopped a bunch of places where we had previously went on dates to have a drink, snack etc.  We enjoyed that a lot.

2009-02-10 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cincinnati
Our entire wedding was only about 25 people -immediate family and a few friends-- at a tiny little outdoor chapel across from the beach in NC.

Day before the wedding... all 25 of us hanging out on the beach then dinner at a very casual beachy restaurant.

Morning of wedding - took a long walk on the beach with wife-to-be and the dog.

almost everybody was involved in the ceremony-- my parents walked me down the aisle, both her parents walked her down the aisle; brothers, sisters, and friends all had readings or intentions to read.

Went back to the two neighboring houses and my brother-in-law made a seafood dump- corn, potatoes, sausages, shrimp all boiled together-- all dumped out onto the table covered with paper. Our moms made an Italian cream cake for dessert.

Went down to the beach at sunset for pictures.

Danced in the carport underneath the house to CD's played on a boom box.

Had a big ceili (Irish dancing party) back home a few months later for extended family and friends with live Irish band and a barrel of Harp.

Wouldn't change a thing.

Edited by DTraub 2009-02-10 1:42 PM
2009-02-10 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Chippy - 2009-02-10 11:49 AM

I'm finding that wedding planning is making people a little insane, however. In the interests of keeping perspective, I'm curious to hear from you, my fellow BT'ers, about the favorite part of your wedding day, what you remember most and liked most (in addtion to, I'm assume, getting married to someone you love), and what ended up really being "worth it" in terms of planning and details.

I suppose I'm also interested to hear about things that you didn't end up enjoying, or didn't go as planned, etc.

Talk to me, people.

I'm getting married in Mexico at the end of April... what else could be better?  Well.... the best part - WARM CLIMATE.  Second Best Part - only 20 or so people are coming.  

Edited by dkaho64 2009-02-10 1:35 PM
2009-02-10 1:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Carolina

I was able to slip in a "that's what she said" during the ceremony...It was during the exchanging of the rings. I was putting the ring on Janelle's finger and the minister (who happened to be my dad) said "Don't force it" and I was so nervous that I let it slip out....The only people that heard it was Janelle and my dad....we had a pretty good laugh about it later.

2009-02-10 1:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Jose, CA
Best part of my wedding was the size and locale. We got married on a beach with 2 friends and 4 dogs in attendance. No big drama day, no family to satisfy, just us and our friends. My husband golfed that morning while I slept in, then we put our nice clothes on and walked down to the beach, got hitched, popped a bottle of champagne, went out for a fancy dinner, drank more champagne, the end.
2009-02-10 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1955128

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

muppetdog - 2009-02-10 1:56 PM Best part of my wedding was the size and locale. We got married on a beach with 2 friends and 4 dogs in attendance. No big drama day, no family to satisfy, just us and our friends. My husband golfed that morning while I slept in, then we put our nice clothes on and walked down to the beach, got hitched, popped a bottle of champagne, went out for a fancy dinner, drank more champagne, the end.

But, what happened with the dogs?  This is a cliffhanger.

2009-02-10 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Writing our own vows. The wedding chapel in Vegas that we went to still has the video on their site (I'll have to see if I can dig up the link to post).

That and the fact that Elvis showed up before hand (though it wasn't planned).

2009-02-10 2:33 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Chippy - 2009-02-10 11:49 AM

Talk to me, people.

My husband and I got married in Tahoe, with just a few friends present. No big hoopla, 2 phone calls, and $1000 total cost. My parents were pissed, and they still are, 12 years later, but I would do it all again. It was beautiful and low stress. It was about the marriage, not the wedding. Loved it!

2009-02-10 2:54 PM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton

Congrats Chippy!  We got married 5/31/08.  We had more fun at our own wedding than we could have ever thought possible.

Highlights:

-Seeing her for the first time in church.
-Being announced as husband and wife at the end of the ceremony, and the minister introducing us as Mr. and Mrs. her-maiden name by accident.
-We had open bar for good beers (micro and macro) and wine.  No booze.  I had a bottle of scotch that I brought out around 11 p.m. and shared with my guys.  That was awesome.
-Taking time together during the reception to stop, look around, and appreciate our friends and family.
-Jumping in Lake Michigan after the reception.  Our venue was next to the lake, and when the party was over, in the lake we went!
-Our place cards were printed on envelopes with a note card inside.  We asked everyone to share a thought with us and drop it in the card box.  We read these notes in the car on the way to our mini-moon the next day.  Soooo funny, some people shared stories about us, well wishes, jokes, etc.  Highly recommend this--a note written at the table after a drink or two is much more entertaining and personal than the traditional wedding cards.

Don't sweat the details and have fun!

For those of you who need to post about your divorce in THIS threat, that's not cool.  I'm sorry it didn't work out for you.  This is not the place to post about it.

2009-02-10 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1955076

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
run_your_run - 2009-02-10 1:36 PM

I was able to slip in a "that's what she said" during the ceremony...It was during the exchanging of the rings. I was putting the ring on Janelle's finger and the minister (who happened to be my dad) said "Don't force it" and I was so nervous that I let it slip out....The only people that heard it was Janelle and my dad....we had a pretty good laugh about it later.

Win.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Favorite Part of Your Wedding? Rss Feed  

of 3