Hillstriders
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 13s
Overall Rank = 351/1019
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 27/81
Pre-race routine:

Woke up much earlier than I would like and had a waffle breakfast with bananas and strawberries. Drove up to Cary and ran into Laura's (Whizzzz's) sister and BIL and hung with them until Laura and Chris (coredump) showed up. Laura's sister wisely convinced me I was overdressed so I changed into shorts and a long sleeve technical rather than tights and a fleecy thing. Also saw Griz and Derrick.
Event warmup:

Jogged around with Chris a little after gear check and then lined up at the start.
Run
  • 1h 44m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This course draws a fast field. And it's tough. It also appears my age group was fairly competitive. I came in 73 overall for women and over a third of the women that came in before me were in my age group. Some of them were looking STRONG out there too.

I'm a little under-trained on hills for this kind of course and I'd already done a 21 mile long run and a speed workout this week. I also did 7 hours on my feet at the running store yesterday so I really didn't have any idea what to expect. Although the first few miles felt quick but comfortable I was a little worried I had gone out too fast. Indeed the last miles were brutal. I also started developing a bad side stitch so I laid off my nutrition for the last six miles. It went away near the end, but I only had one mile to go and didn't think stopping for water that close to the end would be good. I knew I would make it at that point.

The last mile was tough. I had been running with a pack of women for several miles. A couple fell off earlier, but three of them managed to pull away from me and I had absolutely nothing left. It took everything I had just to maintain pace and not slow down. I did manage to maintain a fairly consistent pace right up until the end; I just didn't have the kick to keep up when they pulled away. BAH! I kept going as strong as I could, managed not to slow down, and came across the finish line with absolutely nothing left.
What would you do differently?:

Get out on the course more and train hills (I only made it out a couple times). Taper. Keep working on my mental toughness. I'm pretty happy with how the day went though. For such a tough course and not having a taper or much hill training, I thought things went well. Sometime I would like to run this race when it's my A race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked until I didn't feel like hurling or passing out. Then gingerly moved around until my quads didn't feel like they wanted to cramp anymore (I'm sure that will be fun in the morning - it's already started to be pretty fun). Then hung out with everyone for awhile and went to breakfast with Chris and Laura.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

All stated above in "What would you do differently?"

Event comments:

Great course and a well organized race! I will definitely be back.

Last updated: 2009-01-26 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:13 | 13.1 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/81
Overall: 351/1019
Performance: Good
No HR. Forgot to put the strap on. Flat and downhill splits were 7:40-7:45. Uphill splits were 8:00-8:03.
Course: The first few miles are downhill and then there are a couple of tough, longer hills on the back side of the course. You get a slight reprieve for a couple miles and then the real challenge starts. Your legs are pretty trashed when you hit mile 10 and you have one steep hill and then run through a subdivision with a couple of just evil hills and some low grade inclines.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-03-15 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: March Madness Half Marathon

2009-03-15 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2019304

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: March Madness Half Marathon
That's my girl.  Great run on a tough course!
2009-03-15 9:20 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Nice seeing you today, great job. I think you beat Derrick
2009-03-16 6:47 AM

User image

Veteran

Very impressive race!!!!  I'd like to see your time when it's an A race too!!!! 

2009-03-16 8:59 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL

I think the best quote from this race is Laura's sister saying"

"Aren't you glad you took your pants off?" 

Great race out there, after a pretty tough week!  Congrats on holding up through the big run volume.  You're going to do awesome at the marathon in 4 weeks.

2009-03-16 10:14 AM

User image

over a barrier
Great job! Once you enter the Subdivision around mile 10-11 the race just sucks!!!!

2009-03-16 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
That is a pretty awesome race time, especially considering your disregard for taper and throwing down a 20+ this week.  Very impressive.  Looking forward to see what you do at your upcoming marathon.  I am expecting big things!
2009-03-16 1:22 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Nice job Kelly...awesome pace!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » March Madness Half Marathon Rss Feed