General Discussion Race Reports! » Australian Championships - Olympic Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Australian Championships - Olympic Tri - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Geelong , VIC
Australia
Supersprint
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We drove to Geelong the night before the race and I registered etc. We decided to drive the cycle route and see what was in store for the race. As we were driving my husband was looking at me like "this is going to be very tough" - hmmmm - lots of hills and we clocked it at 45km... I was starting to feel a bit sick! Had a terrible night's sleep - anxious.
Event warmup:

Ate 2 x weetbix, drank a coffee, lots of water and some banana, did some light stretching and just kept warm (it was a cold morning)
Swim
  • 35m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a very civilized race start - everyone was wishing each other luck and making room for eachother and saying things like "enjoy!" and "have fun!" and "go girls!" - we could hear people calling out "Go MUM" which was really sweet and I guess in the 30-39 age group there are a lot of mums! Me included :) What a pleasant swim - it still scares me when I see it all mapped out in the water - it looks SOOOO far but you just get in the water and start swimming and keep swimming and eventually it's over. It was a deep water start which was different and I had such a great swim. I passed quite a few people from the wave before which was nice! Mine was the last wave to start so there wasn't anyone coming up from behind. I tend to stay with the pack and end up somewhere in the middle - this was a fast group and it produced my best ever 1500m swim! The only problem was my feet were very very cold by the time I got out and they didn't thaw out until about 5 kms into the run. I have really BAD circulation. All in all - a great start.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing (maybe a bit more training would help as always!)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Terrible transition. My wetsuit zipper got stuck and I couldn't get the damn thing off! I asked for help and was told that they couldn't help me but the guy told me that there was some velcro stuck and that was why I couldn't get the zipper down. OK - got the bloody thing off and got moving!

Everything!

SWIM TIME INCLUDES THIS TRANSITION
Bike
  • 1h 30m
  • 45 kms
  • 30.00 km/hr
Comments:

A tough cycle leg. I wasn't really prepared for hills and wind and it made the going quite tough. But it was a good experience and I enjoyed the ride and the scenery. I dropped my bottle of gatorade at the very start of the ride and was pretty pissed off about that, but still managed to get enough fluid (I always take 2 full bottles with me on my bike). I saw a couple of people who had fallen or had to stop and it makes you realise it is always a GREAT achievement just to finish a triathlon in one piece!

Definitely much more training on the bike is needed - much much more - more hours in the saddle - I know that I have the ability to go so much faster.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Not too bad - I was a little shaky in the legs but managed to get the transition done and the run started.

Practice my transitions

RUN TIME INCLUDES THIS TRANSITION
Run
  • 1h 05m
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 30s  min/km
Comments:

I had a good run. I felt quite fresh the 1st 5km's and then started to suffer the last 5 km's. It was mentally hard being the last wave to start and having everyone finish ahead of you, I was running alone pretty much the last lap - I passed one older lady from the wave previous and that was it. There were a few people behind me but no one passed... It was kind of lonely.

Run faster! Push more.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank loads of gatorade and water and then walked to the car with my little family. Ate an apple on the drive home and rested my aching body!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't have a great lead up to this race and really relied on the fact that I am fitter than ever before. It was a great race and I enjoyed it!

Event comments:

My last race for the season! I had a ball - I tried my hardest and I smiled a lot while racing. I LOVE THIS SPORT! I love the people involved, the attitude, the comradery, the great feeling of racing and being there, doing it, completing something and feeling so tired afterwards!!! I look forward to many more races in the future. I have a lot more to achieve! For now though, it's off to yoga and into the weight training and chocolate! Happy.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Rectangular course marked with those massive yellow Olympic bouys (even as blind as I am without glasses you just couldn't miss those bouys!)
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 16F / -9C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:30:00 | 45 kms | 30.00 km/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: One lap around the Peninsula
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:05:00 | 10 kms | 06m 30s  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: 2 laps following the bay and then around the top of the road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-03-30 6:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Australian Championships - Olympic Tri

2005-03-30 8:50 AM
in reply to: #135603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan
Subject: RE: Australian Championships - Olympic Tri

Awesome...simply awesome.

You have definately earnt a winter's break M.  Enjoy the chocolate!!

2005-03-30 10:55 AM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member

FANTASTICO!!!!! Nice work!!! What a great accomplishment. I can't wait to START racing this year... and you're already finished... Go have yourself a Hershey bar... you deserve it!!!

Whizzzzzzzzzz

PS you look quite shapely in your wetsuit! Like catwoman!!!

2005-03-30 2:07 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Congratulations on a splendid race, Maryke.  That is a fantastic accomplishment.
2005-03-30 2:44 PM

User image

Catwoman indeed!!!! Wat to finish off the season Maryke!  You should be very proud of that result

Chris

2005-03-30 6:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Hey Maryke,

Well done, another one finished and enjoyed!! Love the photo's, you certainly look the part in the suit.

Do you have any alternate races planned for the off-season, apart from the chocolate eating??

Paul

2005-03-30 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Nice finish to the season! Your event comments sum it all up nicely.
Sounds as though your back didn't give you any trouble either, phew!

Bring on the yoga and enjoy your rest, you deserve it!!
2005-03-31 1:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Wow great race report!
16C water temp thats freezing! No wonder your feet were so cold!
The ocean over here is still at summer temps 24C on Monday. I couldn't imagine getting in the water at 16C. Although with the temps at 24C there is a ban on wetsuits.
2005-03-31 4:11 AM

great effort. you've got to love it when you break through the mental barriers and cross that finish line. well done for the season.

take a well deserved break before getting back into the training.

oh...and pray for fine weather for St Kilda on Sunday...last of the short races.
2005-03-31 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
GREAT race report. You look like a badass triathlete in that wetsuit! Congratulations on finishing up your season with such a great performance. You have a lot to be proud of. Now go eat some chocolate for me!
2005-03-31 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

Wow Maryke!  Awesome race report.  You look sweet in that wetsuit.  Hell, you look like a sweatheart all the other times too.  I can't help smiling when I look at your avatar pic - it just makes me want to smile.

Looks like you had a great race!!!  I'm impressed by your bike.  I wish I could go that long as fast as you did.  Your race times just keep getting better and better.  Its must be extremely satisfying to have cranked it like you did.  Congrats and well deserved!

After edit - I just did the conversion to F on the water temperature.....WOW!  60F water!  Sounds like you handled that like a pro.

Edited by jkbostic 2005-03-31 7:47 PM

2005-04-01 10:25 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Excellent race report Maryke!! Glad to see you had a great time! As you said in your report - you did your best and smiled a lot. Sounds like a perfect race to me.

-Frank
2005-04-01 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great race! Way to finish the season strong! Congratulations!
2005-04-03 9:21 PM

User image

Currently in Vancouver, Canada
Hey Fantastic Effort. You raced well. Did you see the Jellyfish during the Swim? Always good for a little bit of motivation. I agree the ride was really sucky. Although i would call it a flat ride (and after you ride around Canberra all the time you'd see why) the headwind on the way back was really ugly. Sounds like you had fun and it's always great to finish a race. Congrats on a big season.

As for me:... As you can probably tell I was also down in Geelong, although i was pretty shattered about my race so won't bother putting a race report up. I was wondering why i had felt really shattered for the weeks before Geelong, struggling to train much and being really really tired. I had put it down to a big season and the Long Course Champs only a month ago. It wasn't till sunday morning i actually decided to race, and was even about to pull out after the ride, but though it's only 10ks to the end of the season! However i found out on the Tuesday after the race i have been suffering from Glandular Fever, which obviously puts it all in perpective.

Enjoy a break and hit the ground running for next season.

Cheers

Aaron
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Australian Championships - Olympic Tri Rss Feed