General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exhaling while running & swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-04-07 12:57 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Exhaling while running & swimming
Sorry this is sort of long...

I recently recalled, I read few years back about the correlation between breathing, steps and running in different zones or paces. What stuck in my mind is breathing ever 3rd step same foot when doing aerobic runs and that is a good check to see if you are running easy enough. I have been looking through the books I thought I might have read it in, Daniel's Running Formula and Programed to Run by Miller and haven't found what I was looking for.

I did find something that peaked my curiosity in Miller's  Programmed to Run book. He talks about learning to belly breath which is squeezing your air out of your body and focusing on exhaling and feeling your stomach muscles contract. He goes on to explain that running at any given pace takes the same amount of oxygen per unit of muscle mass per unit regardless of muscle mass of runner. So being a more muscular runner means you need to process more air than a skinner person going the same pace.

This is the part I found very interesting.... p. 42 "I learned that carbon dioxide is some 20 times more soluable in the lungs than oxygen. If carbon dioxide is not exhaled, some will be reabsorbed into the bloodstream instead of oxygen and will adhere to your hemoglobin . By sharply exhaling "old" air therefore, you will allow "new" air to be absorbed more quickly." He goes onto to say this type of breathing may help older athletes, former smokers, and more muscular athletes but can help everyone.  He shared at end of races front of pack runners you see focusing on exhaling, mid pack suck in air inhaling and BOPers don't change their breathing.

I figured why not try exhaling like he suggested. I first tried in in my long run on my rest week. It became pretty easy to do and continue just focusing on exhaling hard whole run.  Hills felt easier not sure why could be breathing or my mind was elsewhere so that helped.  I noticed when I slip back to my normal breathing I end up making more sound inhaling. I used it again in a 10K race I did and it had nasty big hill and again it seemed to help.

I thought how this might apply to swimming and the frequent questions we get with new swimmers struggling with breathing. Most do not exhale at all while their face is in the water or don't exhale fully as it is uncomfortable to be out of breath. When I first learned how to swim I felt breathless even though I was working hard and I thought it was like I was rebreathing same air or that is how it felt. I just wondered if this was the same concept but in a different sport.

So you smart runner experts..does exhaling make a difference?

Does your pace easy, aerobic, ect coorelate with how many steps you take?

I find in my long easy runs I take 8 steps (ie 4 right steps) before I breath again which seems like a lot. Most of my tri friends I've been talking to are around 6 steps or just under.

2009-04-07 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2068513

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Exhaling while running & swimming

Exhaling is good.  So is inhaling.  Other than making sure I am doing that, I just try to relax as much as possible at whatever pace I am doing.  If focusing on your breathing helps you relax, then it's probably a good thing.  Other than that, I don't worry much about it and never count my steps while I breath in or out. 

And I breath whenever it's comfortable when I swim too.  I find it best not to overthink things.

2009-04-07 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to say thank you for the post. I am a swimmer, and am having a hard time breathing on my runs... I get side stiches and when I am on a treadmill I'm sure the people around me think I am going to have an asthma attack, my inhale even sounds loud to me. I run probably at what most of you would think is a jog, and I am not too sore after my runs so I dont think I am overdoing it.

Anyway, I am going to try concentrating on my exhale and see if that helps. I do this while swimming and don't have breathing problems or get side stiches.

All my runner friends keep telling me that my fast swims should translate into some good run times.... I'm just not seeing it. 
2009-04-07 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2068750

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
freeflykami - 2009-04-07 2:58 PM Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to say thank you for the post. I am a swimmer, and am having a hard time breathing on my runs... I get side stiches and when I am on a treadmill I'm sure the people around me think I am going to have an asthma attack, my inhale even sounds loud to me. I run probably at what most of you would think is a jog, and I am not too sore after my runs so I dont think I am overdoing it.

Anyway, I am going to try concentrating on my exhale and see if that helps. I do this while swimming and don't have breathing problems or get side stiches.

All my runner friends keep telling me that my fast swims should translate into some good run times.... I'm just not seeing it. 

Breathing has been considered as one possible cause of side stitches.  But you may still want to slow down when you run.  For most of your running, if you can't hold a conversation with someone running with you, you are working too hard.
2009-04-07 2:10 PM

to the poster above -- I swam when I was growing up and couldn't run to save my life when soccer season came around and remember exactly what you describe.

My personal theory is that running will help your swimming, but not vice versa.  Swimming isn't a weight-bearing exercise and swim-kicking uses different muscles than running, so even if you're a great swimmer, you're not going to automatically be a great runner and in fact it's a hard transition to make. Just because the right muscles aren't developed and you're not able to rely on your arms as much, etc. That's been my personal experience.

With the breathing cramps, a friend who did X-country in college taught me this and it's worked for me: just make sure you inhale and exhale for the same count. So, for example, exhale for 2 steps and inhale for 2 steps. Somehow it seems like the cramping is related to not exhaling enough.

Good luck!!

2009-04-07 2:11 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA

In reference to swimming I have read (don't recall exactly where) that a slow exhale followed by a forceful final exhale will create a slightly negative pressure in your lungs enabling a fuller inhale.  I started paying attention to this on my swims and that is pretty much exactly what I do.  After reading your post I starting thinking that perhaps the point about eliminating the carbon dioxide absorption could also be a benefit.

2009-04-07 2:12 PM
in reply to: #2068758

JohnnyKay - 2009-04-07 3:03 PM
freeflykami - 2009-04-07 2:58 PM Sorry I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to say thank you for the post. I am a swimmer, and am having a hard time breathing on my runs... I get side stiches and when I am on a treadmill I'm sure the people around me think I am going to have an asthma attack, my inhale even sounds loud to me. I run probably at what most of you would think is a jog, and I am not too sore after my runs so I dont think I am overdoing it.

Breathing has been considered as one possible cause of side stitches.  But you may still want to slow down when you run.  For most of your running, if you can't hold a conversation with someone running with you, you are working too hard.

Yup, sometimes when I get a side stitch, if I "breathe into it", it goes away.

There really is something to be said for knowing how to control your inhalation/exhalation from your diaphragm (aka belly breathing). I've found that it helps immensely with swimming and not feeling that "gasping for air" sensation, as well as with running. I was a trained singer and so we learned how to do all that stuff, and it really does transfer over well.

2009-04-07 3:51 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
When I was starting to swim lanes for tri training, I was also taking regular yoga classes. The breath exercises from yoga helped a lot as I tried to slow down and breath deeper when first learning to swim aerobically. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything different when I run but according to some VO2max testing (even allowing for some error) I can move a lot of air. I believe the yoga has helped with that too.
2009-04-07 4:24 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Getting rid of a side stitch by "breathing deeper/more" you will almost have to slow down so that you CAN breath more.

Hence .... slowing down will help relieve a side stitch/breathing cramp.

Breathing on the run is correlated with pace.  "Easy runs" correlate with 4/4 or more (breathe in on 4 individual steps, breathe out on 4 individual steps ...... NOT 4 steps on one side).  Moderate/normal runs will be in the 3/3, 3/2, 2/3 range.  Harder efforts (think 10k pace and up) will be 2/2.

If you are breathing 1/1 you are either going to hyperventilate as you will not supply your body with enough oxygen or you are in a very short all out effort.

I personally fall into a 3/2 rhythm almost all the time (breathe in 3 steps, out 2 steps).  So I expel faster than inhale.  Others will vary.

For running you are not constrained to the very few seconds in your body roll to intake air, so do what comes naturally, don't try to "force" it.
2009-04-07 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2068775

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denton
bschulte - 2009-04-07 2:11 PM

In reference to swimming I have read (don't recall exactly where) that a slow exhale followed by a forceful final exhale will create a slightly negative pressure in your lungs enabling a fuller inhale.  I started paying attention to this on my swims and that is pretty much exactly what I do.  After reading your post I starting thinking that perhaps the point about eliminating the carbon dioxide absorption could also be a benefit.

x2 - I've noticed this myself.  Makes a HUGE difference.
2009-04-07 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2069135

User image

Champion
MA
Daremo - 2009-04-07 5:24 PM ......

Breathing on the run is correlated with pace.  "Easy runs" correlate with 4/4 or more (breathe in on 4 individual steps, breathe out on 4 individual steps ...... NOT 4 steps on one side).  Moderate/normal runs will be in the 3/3, 3/2, 2/3 range.  Harder efforts (think 10k pace and up) will be 2/2.

If you are breathing 1/1 you are either going to hyperventilate as you will not supply your body with enough oxygen or you are in a very short all out effort.

I personally fall into a 3/2 rhythm almost all the time (breathe in 3 steps, out 2 steps).  So I expel faster than inhale.  Others will vary.

So if on my easy runs I breath every 4 right steps that is like 4/4 if I understand you right. Inhale 4 and exhale 4 is same as taking 8 steps between each exhale.

So for others is that how you breath doing long slow runs?

2009-04-07 8:37 PM
in reply to: #2069682

User image

Veteran
KathyG - 2009-04-08 4:26 AM

So if on my easy runs I breath every 4 right steps that is like 4/4 if I understand you right. Inhale 4 and exhale 4 is same as taking 8 steps between each exhale.

I used to try and control my breathing when I first started running, trying to find the magic "rythm". But as I started to run more, I learned to let my body do it's thing and breath naturally. The only time I ever concentrate and try to control breathing is during hard efforts such as sprint intervals or hill repeats.
2009-04-07 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2069711

User image

Champion
MA
whatwasIthinking - 2009-04-07 9:37 PM
KathyG - 2009-04-08 4:26 AM

I used to try and control my breathing when I first started running, trying to find the magic "rythm". But as I started to run more, I learned to let my body do it's thing and breath naturally. The only time I ever concentrate and try to control breathing is during hard efforts such as sprint intervals or hill repeats.

I don't try and control it but observe it that's all. I have sort of wondered if I'm running to easy that's why I'm asking. My HR is pretty low on my long runs usually in low 130s where in past years was probably 7-9 beats per minute higher. I'm pretty sure it is that I'm fitter but my mind thinks about weird stuff at times.
2009-04-07 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2069727

User image

Veteran
I'm pretty sure it is that I'm fitter but my mind thinks about weird stuff at times.

I thought that was normal during long runs I just hate it when I start talking to myself and loosing arguments
2009-04-07 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2069727

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
KathyG - 2009-04-07 9:43 PM  So if on my easy runs I breath every 4 right steps that is like 4/4 if I understand you right. Inhale 4 and exhale 4 is same as taking 8 steps between each exhale.

I don't try and control it but observe it that's all. I have sort of wondered if I'm running to easy that's why I'm asking.

Yes, a 4/4 pattern would be 8 individual steps (4 left, 4 right) between the complete cycle (breathe in during 1, 2, 3, 4 - breathe out during 1, 2, 3, 4).

You are correct, don't try to force it into a pattern, just use it as a reference to get a sense of where your effort level is.  For me personally, if I'm 2/2 I'm working pretty hard.  At least tempo pace (1/2 mary.) if not more.
2009-04-07 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
I'm not sure how many steps I take inhaling and exhaling, but quite frequently I do some breathing exercises or periods of deep, deep inhalation followd by even deeper exhalation ... I'll do this several times in a row and find that it refreshes me and I fall into such a smooth rhythm afterwards.

I feel like it helps slow my HR some and my rate of breathing and it relaxes me.

My theory (and i actually think I read or heard about it somewhere before) is that many people do not exhale enough and therefore un-expelled carbon dioxide builds up in my lungs.

So, about every 2-3 miles or so (more frequntly the longer I've been running) I'll start with a deep inhale ... they kind they tell you to do at the end of an aerobics class when you are supposed to be cooling down and stretching out ... but a deep inhale and then as forcefully as I can I exhale and keep exhaling until every single bit of air is out....almost like I was trying to make myself pass out or taking one of those breath analyzer tests.

I do this 2 or 3 times ....and then 1 last deep inhale and 2 quick bursts of exhales.

Then I just take a nice smooth, gradual inhale and fall right into a nice relaxed breathing pattern ... my pace seems to quicken a little, my legs feel fresh, I feel re-juvinated.

It must look kinda silly and it makes a lot a noise, because when I do this in the gym on the treadmill about half the folks in the gym turn and stare at me.

Some of them I think are startled at the noise, some I think just want to laugh at me and think I'm totally stupid, and some look a little apprehensive as though they are trying to figure out if I'm having a heart attack or something and should come over to help me.

Never tried this exact technique swimming, but I do know when I feel like I'm getting out of breath swimming, I'll actually work at taking a large exhale first and then a fresh inhale ....

Edited by klowman 2009-04-07 9:08 PM

2009-04-07 8:58 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I would be interested to read real studies on "built up carbon dioxide."  I'm sorry, but that sounds like bunk to me.  If your body gets an excess of something, it gets rid of it as long as it has a way.  You will start to have to breath more to get the crap out.

I'd be happy to be educated on this, but it seems a little far fetched ......
2009-04-07 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2069777

User image

Champion
MA
Daremo - 2009-04-07 9:58 PM I would be interested to read real studies on "built up carbon dioxide."  I'm sorry, but that sounds like bunk to me.  If your body gets an excess of something, it gets rid of it as long as it has a way.  You will start to have to breath more to get the crap out.

Do you have a copy of Thomas Miller's Programmed to run? Pages 41-42. He has a Phd.
2009-04-07 11:27 PM
in reply to: #2069777

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Daremo - 2009-04-07 9:58 PM I would be interested to read real studies on "built up carbon dioxide."  I'm sorry, but that sounds like bunk to me.  If your body gets an excess of something, it gets rid of it as long as it has a way.  You will start to have to breath more to get the crap out.

Whatever works for you...

I know that deep breathing works for me.  Allows me to get lots of fresh oxygen in, expell all the bad air (with the carbon dioxide), relaxes and refreshes me.

From this link:  http://www.healthblurbs.com/one-cause-of-shortness-of-breath-or-feeling-out-of-breath-during-exercise/

The inadequacy in your breathing technique during exercise may be resulting from your exhale phase. During exercise your body’s demand for oxygen increases with a corresponding increased production of carbon dioxide. If your exhale phase of breathing does not excrete this carbon dioxide sufficiently it can build up in your lungs.

When your lungs experience a build up of carbon dioxide then the space for receiving oxygen becomes limited. What tends to happen is a labored inhale in your attempt to deliver more oxygen under the exercise demand. You fall into a vicious cycle of no room for the high demand with a breathing technique focused on the inhale phase. As a result, you feel out of breath.

The solution, and so many new to the world of exercising fail to appreciate, is the need to free up space in your lungs for the exercise induced demand for oxygen. One of the most important habits to form during your exercise period is to deliberately and slowly exhale

Other links of interest:

http://www.cptips.com/respmus.htm

http://www.cptips.com/respart.htm

http://www.breathplay.com/

http://www.breathplay.com/PAGES/tools.php

http://www.breathplay.com/PAGES/articles_details.php?article_id=25

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081014230435AAVTqrV

http://www.womentowomen.com/fatigueandstress/deepbreathing.aspx

http://www.answers.com/topic/breathing-during-exercise

http://www.military.com/military-fitness/workouts/breathing-during-exercise

http://www.somaxsports.com/breathing.htm

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_carbon_dioxide_levels_regulate_breathing_movements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shallow_breathing

http://books.google.com/books?id=D-Jped3ou1kC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=not+exhaling+enough+carbon+dioxide&source=bl&ots=4F4f4rDujJ&sig=tb4VWBDODAh6sCK354V6-MyZsUU&hl=en&ei=agvcSfjqKJ7CmQeZqsGaDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2#PPA28,M1

http://www.thehappyguy.com/stress-breath.html

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080820121724AAwfM1T

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:mSDQynvswxcJ:www.lesturnerals.org/pdf/ResourceGuide/Section8-RespiratoryCare.PDF+not+exhaling+enough+built+up+carbon+dioxide&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

2009-04-08 6:44 AM

User image

Runner

I don't worry about the number, I focus on how much effort goes into it.   If it's a struggle to breathe, I'm pushing too hard for training purposes (and most racing purposes).  Your breathing should be controlled and easy.  Counting breaths would be akin to monitoring HR; everyone is different, and the same person will have variations from day to day.

2009-04-08 7:06 AM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Let me preface this with "I'm not a doctor but an engineer".  So I look at things from a physics perspective, not a medical one   However I have a real life experiment that shows some surprising results.

I recently changed how I breathe during runs (and to a lesser extent cycling).  I used to never give it much thought.  I just breathed in and out.  When I began to get fatigued I'd breathe more often.  My runs sucked.  I was averaging 9:30-10 min/mile on most longer runs.  I just never felt good.

I then read just a portion of an article.  It stated that the density of alveoli in the lungs is greater towards the bottom of the lungs and the ends of the bronchus.  Breathing shallows does not allow you to get the O2 to the alveoli.  (I have no idea is this is medically sound as my research has not confirmed it but it sounded good enough to get me to try it... read on...)

Belly breathing is one way to fix this.  For years I had attempted to belly breathe by forcing my stomach and diaphragm out when inhaling.  It is a very foreign sensation and takes a lot of concentration.  After a mile or two I was mentally exhausted and would usually revert back to my old ways.

This article went on to says that belly breathing is indeed very difficult, however you can achieve the same effect by exhaling more.  When you "empty" your lungs you are forced to inhale more deeply.  Makes perfect sense, right?

So I gave it a shot.  Let me first say that it takes some time to master.  You don't exhale to the point that you are gasping but you do forcefully exhale.  The best way I can describe it is trying to blow out a candle.  I also provide a bit of backpressure by shaping your lips such that you are forcing the air thru a (slightly) narrower opening than having a fully open mouth.

(Side note, I later found out that mountain climber use a technique called “alpine breathing” where they exhale thru a partially closed mouth.  Apparently this backpressure forces for O2 that is currently in the lungs into the alveoli.  Important when 02 is not as plentiful up at altitude.)  I am wondering if my backpressure breathing is doing something similar.

Anyway, like I said it takes some time to figure out how to do it without 1)screwing up your breathing and 2)not looking like an idiot running and blowing out candles...

However the results have been pretty surprising.  My lungs are no longer my weak link.  I have dropped my average running pace to 8:30-45 for shorter runs and 9s for longer runs.  I think I can go even faster but I have hit the leg limit now (I have a pinched never that is now the limiter).

I shared my findings with my wife and a friend who did his first HIM last week.  Both of them tried the technique and both of them have seen improvements.

The change was "almost" overnight.  Almost, as it does take a few times to find that right technique but for me it has had made HUGE improvements.

Edited by TriRSquared 2009-04-08 7:07 AM

2009-04-08 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2070058

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
klowman - 2009-04-08 1:27 AM

Whatever works for you...

I know that deep breathing works for me.  Allows me to get lots of fresh oxygen in, expell all the bad air (with the carbon dioxide), relaxes and refreshes me.

Here you go - http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18876807

Shane
2009-04-08 7:25 AM

User image

Champion

KathyG - 2009-04-07 2:57 PM

I recently recalled, I read few years back about the correlation between breathing, steps and running in different zones or paces. What stuck in my mind is breathing ever 3rd step same foot when doing aerobic runs and that is a good check to see if you are running easy enough. I have been looking through the books I thought I might have read it in, Daniel's Running Formula and Programed to Run by Miller and haven't found what I was looking for.

I don't have my copy of Daniel's with me but I believe that after dicussing breathing patterns he also mentioned that really any breathing pattern that worked for the runner was going to prove effective.  I believe he was talking about this to provide guidance to runners who were having a hard time getting into a breathing pattern as opposed to making a rule about what the patterns should be.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong - I will try to look it up when I get home).

This is the part I found very interesting.... p. 42 "I learned that carbon dioxide is some 20 times more soluable in the lungs than oxygen. If carbon dioxide is not exhaled, some will be reabsorbed into the bloodstream instead of oxygen and will adhere to your hemoglobin . By sharply exhaling "old" air therefore, you will allow "new" air to be absorbed more quickly." He goes onto to say this type of breathing may help older athletes, former smokers, and more muscular athletes but can help everyone.  He shared at end of races front of pack runners you see focusing on exhaling, mid pack suck in air inhaling and BOPers don't change their breathing.

I believe that given equal partial pressures, CO2 will bind more readily with hemoglobin than O2.  However, since the partial pressure of CO2 is very low in the lungs (even when exercising at a very high level) the CO2/O2 exchange rate will be very high.

So you smart runner experts..does exhaling make a difference?

Does your pace easy, aerobic, ect coorelate with how many steps you take?

As for pace dictating breathining patterns there is definitely a coorelation for most athletes.  The higher the intensity, the more CO2 that each cell is giving off so the higher the CO2 levels in the blood.  Since CO2 levels regulate our need to breathe, this will increase our respiration rate.

Ultimately, since O2 availability in the lungs is not a limiter in exercise, changing breathing patterns to increase the amount of O2 (or decrease the amount of CO2) will not likely result in any performance change.  However, having something to focus on while running (be it form, breathing, pace, cadence, whatever) can help "distract" you from what you are doing and result in the activity feeling easier.

Shane

2009-04-08 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2070260

User image

Champion
TriRSquared - 2009-04-08 9:06 AM

However the results have been pretty surprising.  My lungs are no longer my weak link.  I have dropped my average running pace to 8:30-45 for shorter runs and 9s for longer runs.  I think I can go even faster but I have hit the leg limit now (I have a pinched never that is now the limiter).

Unless you have compromised lung fucntion, your lungs are never going to be the weak link.

Shane

2009-04-08 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Back to swimming - There was recently someone on this forum an ST advocating not exhaling steadily during your face-in-the-water time... but rather a large forceful expulsion of all your lung contents right before you rotate for a breath.  His argument was that the additional air (O2 + CO2) in your lungs created buoyancy and in turn faster times.  And since we can't time our breaths based on what comes naturally while swimming, but rather must wait until we can get a breath, he argued that not expelling the contents of your lungs meant you were keeping more O2 available for use in there.

Not sure what I think of all of the above, but I tried it and kind of liked it at the pool.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exhaling while running & swimming Rss Feed  

of 2