General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockett's Landing - was triathlon, now a duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rockett's Landing - was triathlon, now a duathlon - DuathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Richmond Multisports
63F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 03m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Relay
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00. Turned the coffee maker on, saw that it was drizzling. Got dressed, let some air out of my tires, and headed out the door.

Made it to transition around 6:00. Found Elizabeth (the swimmer in my relay) and set up in transition next to her. Met up with Maren when we went to pick up the chip. Set up transition, took some photos, talked about chip hand off. I talked to Maren's husband, Dave, about the bike course and some of his recommendations since he had done the Capital to Capital Century the week before.

We went down to the water to watch the start and that's when things got a little crazy.
Event warmup:

Walking around and trying to stay warm
Run
  • 18m 33s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Run by Elizabeth

This was supposed to be a swim. At first, the announced that they were shortening the swim to be a shore-to-shore (400 meters or so). The first wave of men went off just as the storm was blowing in and they ended up canceling the swim part of the way through. Unfortunately, some of the swimmers finished. :(

The storm hit pretty hard as people were walking back to transition. We stashed our things in plastic bags to keep them as dry as we could. Then, it was announced that it would be a duathlon and would start at 8 (about 7:20 at this point). We went and hung out in the parking garage to stay warm. Eventually ended up in the inside room where packet pickup was because it was warm. Tried to figure out if it we were going to race or not. We decided we would if the rain slowed down. At about 8 there was just a little bit of drizzle.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Maren too the chip off Elizabeth and put on me.

Slipped a little getting into my cleats because everything was so wet.
Bike
  • 1h 41m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.66 mile/hr
Comments:

While Elizabeth was running the first section, I decided to throw on the tshirt I was planning on wearing after the race (Duathlon Nationals shirt). Very glad I did because it gave just a little more warmth.

I ran out to the mount like, which was kind of far. I started my bike computer when I crossed the mount line. I wanted to finish the bike in about 1:30, which required an average speed of 16.6 mph. The first hill out of downtown was pretty tough because my legs were so cold and didn't want to move a lot. Once we were on Osbourne turnpike, I was feeling a bit better and could push harder. The first 5 miles went very quickly. There were a few places where I was getting speeds of 18 - 20 mph for a good stretch. Matt (mwhitely) was volunteering at Mill and Osbourne and recognized me when I made the turn. That was awesome!

Once I turned onto Kingsland, the situation changed a lot. I was now into the wind and having a harder time maintaining speed. A gust of wind would come and I would watch the speedometer drop. It was pretty depressing. I was hoping that once I made the turn onto Strath it would calm down and ease up. That was true mostly because there was a little more cover. I was very happy to turn around at 13.2 and get to go mostly downhill to Kingsland. I was a little nervous coming down the hill having seen a few people wipe out there.

Made the turn onto Varina and was into the wind again. (sigh) I'd been working on eating a few Gu chomps, but hadn't really been drinking enough. I could tell that my calf was starting to cramp a little on this section, so I was trying to drink a lot. Throughout here, I was just trying to pedal as hard as I could and keep the bike going as fast as I could.

At the turn from Mills onto Osbourne, I knew there was a hill right after the turn, so I wanted to keep up a lot of speed. But, a lot of people had wiped out, so they were slowing us down. I still made it up the hills just fine. The worst hill was still coming up - going over 285. I ended up in the lowest gear and was still basically crawling. I had a fair bit of speed going in, but it is a tough hill and I was kind of nervous on the downhill because it was very wet and there were a few cars near me.

Once I made it up the hill, it wasn't that far back into the city. There was a big downhill, so I had a fair bit of speed coming back in. I was so relieved to see the buildings of Rockett's Landing. I slipped a little at the dismount line. Wet cleats are really not so much fun. Ran in to transition. Elizabeth transferred the chip and I just tried to stand on my shaky legs.
What would you do differently?:

Not have wind, rain, and headwinds? Or, train in those more?
Transition 2
  • 00m 24s
Comments:

Elizabeth took the chip off me and put on Maren.

Fastest relay transition!
Run
  • 1h 00m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Run by Maren
Post race
Warm down:

Warm-down description? How about warm-up description! My legs were very cold and shaky coming off the bike, so I really tried to warm up after. I grabbed a bottle of PowerAde from the finish area and then went inside to where packet pickup was located. It was the only warm place available. I was so wet. Elizabeth got a banana for me. Everything I was wearing was wet, so I took on of the extra volunteer tshirts and took off the wet tshirt, armwarmers, and tri jersey. Felt much better to have dry clothes. Tried to stay dry and warm while we waited for Maren to finish.

They were moving everything inside (band, awards, food) at around 11:30 and I just didn't feel like staying anymore. We decided to leave. We were pretty sure we wouldn't place as there were faster relays and faster female relays. Either way, we were ready to go.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind and rain!

Event comments:

They did a good job of dealing with the weather and lots of changing plans. Still a lot of volunteers on the bike course, so that was nice.

I heard a lot of people complaining about the name + chip combinations being wrong in the results that were posted on the race site.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:33 | 02 miles | 09m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Includes T1 time
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:41:43 | 24.85 miles | 14.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/5
Performance: Good
Average mph: 5 miles - 16.5 10 miles - 16.6 13.2 - 15.6 15 - 15.4 20 - 15.0
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Osbourne turnpike to Wilton Road. Right on Wilton to Mill Road. From Mill Road, turn right on Osbourne turnpike. Osbourne turns into Kingsland Road. Kingsland to Strath. Left on Strath road. Turn around at mile 13.2 (fire station). Right on Kingsland to Varina Road. Right on Varina. Take Varina to Mill Road and take a left on Mill. Mill to Osbourne. Right on Osbourne. Take back to Rockett's Landing.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 5
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:24
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:23 | 06.21 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/5
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-05-18 5:29 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Rockett's Landing - was triathlon, now a duathlon

2009-05-18 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2159261

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rockett's Landing - was triathlon, now a duathlon

Tremendous job in horrible conditions!

2009-05-18 6:15 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Wow what challenging conditions! Sounds completely miserable... way to go sticking with it!!!!

With shaking legs it sounds like you put everything into it! Yay!

2009-05-18 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2159357

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Really impressive, way to go Jen

A HUGE congratulation to you for racing in those conditions!
2009-05-18 7:17 PM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
Terrible conditions but great race! Congrats!
2009-05-18 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2159269

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Wow, after reading your RR, *I'm* ready for a hot chocolate and a warm blanket!

Great job! Even greater job, considering the weather conditions!

2009-05-18 8:26 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Wind, cold, AND rain!  Yipes!  Great job in those conditions!
2009-05-18 8:40 PM

User image

Davenport, IA
Sounds like a brutal race.  Very nice job!  I agree with one of the guys in my tri-club.  I can be cold, and I can be wet, but I can't be cold and wet.  Takes a lot of determination to get out in those conditions. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockett's Landing - was triathlon, now a duathlon Rss Feed