General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bristol, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 55s
Overall Rank = 316/884
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 49/87
Pre-race routine:

Family drove up to NH on Wednesday to make sure we had plenty of time to check out the area, get some warmup swims and rides in. Nice 10hr drive, hearing "are we there yet" and "I have to go potty" every few miles. I was doing the Olympic on Saturday and Sam was doing her first HIM on Sunday.

My goals a few weeks before the race were to get as close to 30mins and maybe under if possible on the swim, 20mph on the bike and sub 9:00/miles on the run. Of course the week before the race my back started acting up and I wasn't even sure if I could do the race let alone have any goals for going fast. Back held up on the drive up, Sam and I got a massage the day before so I figured that helped, plus lots of advil.

Thursday we went out to the lake to see how cold the water was, sign on the board entering the park said 56 degrees, brrrr. Felt pretty good swam along the shore for maybe 500M and back didn't hurt so all was good.

Friday we decided to take turns riding for 30mins and rode the first 10 miles of the course which were supposed to be the hardest, riding "Devil's Hill" and some other minor hills along the way. TBH I didn't think they were that bad, the long slow up hills later on the course and the rough road in spots were worse for me than the short steep hills.

After the warmup rides we went up to the Polar Bear caves with the kids, they had a blast, due to my back problems I had to take the wussie route and use all the cave bypasses as there was a lot of bending over in the caves and not sure my back could take it.

We met up with Karla and Charles for the Pasta dinner, I was surprised there were not that many people there.

Drove the 40 minutes back to the hotel and tried to get to bed before 10:00PM
Event warmup:

Woke up at 4:30am, ate a bagel with Peanut butter and started drinking some water. Woke the kids up and loaded everyone into the truck. Brr. was about 40 degrees then. Had to park about 3/4 of a mile or so from the race so walked there with bike and kids.

As far as warmup I swam from the finish to the start line along the shore trying to get used to the water, Water temp was supposed to be 62, not sure it was that warm but got used to it.
Swim
  • 50m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

I have had a lot of problem with my wetsuit pulling on my shoulders and just tiring me out too quickly on the swim, tried to rent a desoto from wetsuitrental.com but they sent me a Synergy hybrid which is their top of the line suit but it still caused me to tire out in the pool when I tried it. I brought both suits up to see which was the lesser of 2 evils and ended up wearing the Synergy.

When I went for my practice swim I tried something different and stopped my pull about 3/4 of the way instead of taking it all the way to my hip and this really seemed to help, not quite as fast as I can go but more important to finish than go fast right now.

A bit of history on my first 2 OWS races.

Culpepper 750M 28:00 minutes or so, held on to every boat on the course, tried to quit but no one saw my hand go up. Dead the rest of the race.

Miami 1000M 25:48, did ok but held onto boat in last 300M due to indigestion.

Sam and I have been working with an OWS coach so I have gotten in about 3-4 OWS since Miami in November.

So based on those 2 stellar performances I started off in the back of the pack and let everyone go before I started.

Something amazing happened then, I actually caught right back up to the group and started passing people. First buoy went by, then the second and I felt great. I actually pulled up a few times because when I was breathing I saw people what looked like 100yards to my right and I had to stop to make sure that I was still going straight and I was. I hit each buoy perfectly right next to them as I went by. Made it to the turn around felling really good.

On the way back in another amazing thing happened, I started passing people from the wave that started 4 mins ahead of me, first time that has happened in a race.

I passed back strokers (felt for them as that is usually me) had one guy swim perpindicular to me and had to stop to make sure that I was going the right direction and I still was, hitting the buoys perfectly. Got kicked in the head once and it wasn't a big deal, tried drafting for a bit but the guy was going too fast for me to hold onto.

Swam right until I couldn't and got out of the water, looked at my watch and it was right around 30mins, I was psyched, think I could have easily gone under 30mins if I started in the pack and didn't pull up those few times because I wasn't confident in my line.
What would you do differently?:

Next race going to put myself right in the middle of the pack and deal with the scrum, fast enough now to not have every single person swim over me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

haha what a cluster f$%k of a transition. Got out of the water and some kid handed me some gatorade and a gel, had them in each hand as I went to the strippers. Somehow I was in a daze at that time. Pulled the zipper down but couldn't get the velcro off my neck due to my hands being full and hurting my back trying to reach around. Stripper guy actually helped me get the suit off my back and was giving me instructions, lol. Then completely off. Somehow I still had my gatorade and Gel in my hand after that debacle and brain woke up and I dropped the gatorade.

Ran to my bike and feet were completely covered in sand, couldn't get the sand off and just said screw it and put my socks on over sandy feet (bad idea). No problems with the Boa laces on my new shoes, started out and realized my PT computer was still in my bag, not even on the bike so had to run back and get it on.

2nd tri in a row where my T1 was pathetic, just completely unorganized, my stuff was all in a pile. Not forget my PT.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 56s
  • 27.34 miles
  • 19.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty hilly course around the lake.

First 10 or so miles had quite a few steep hills but the roads were nice and smooth. The big "Devils Hill" wasn't so bad, I passed a bunch of people going up it. Didn't change out my cassette for this so when I hit the hills I just had to power up them. Rode with quite a few of the same people for most of the ride. About 1/2 the ride was on very rough road, lots of cracks but not many potholes, even so my aero bars still dropped a bit on one crack and had to mess with them for a bit.

Some very fast descents and for me I thought the 2nd 1/2 of the course was tougher as the roads were rough and there were longer climbs as opposed to the short steep ones in the beginning part of the course.

On one long uphill ride I had a bug hit my helmet and figured it died. It didn't I heard a buzzing going on inside. My Aero helmet doesn't have many vents so no place for the bug to go. Had to hop off my bike to let it out, lol that probably cost me my 20mph ride right there...

The last few miles the road smoothed out and had a lot of descents where I caught back up and or passed a lot more people. Was easily able to undo my new shoes and rode into T2 on top of them and hopped off.

Not sure, this was a tough bike ride, 19.7 got me 184th overall on the bike. I think I could have ridden it a bit faster, needed some more challenging fast pace rides outside before hand.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Not much to do in T2, not sure why I can't figure that out in T1.
Run
  • 56m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugh, where to start. When I made it out of T1 I had a ton of sand in my socks and it was still there. Started off my left foot was a bit numb, never had that happen before. Made it out onto the road and it felt like I had something in my shoe. Stopped on a rock and took my shoe off, looked inside nothing. Went back to running, felt like there was a decent size stick in my shoe running just behind my toes across my foot. Stopped again, took my sock off, rubbed my foot trying to get feeling into it, ran a bit with one sock off, still felt bad. Sat down yet again and put my sock on and just dealt with it for about 3-4 miles until the feeling just stopped. Very strange, never had anything like that happen.

Was pretty angry with myself, I was having a decent race to that point and yet again was screwing it up on the run.

Pretty much dead for the 2nd half of the run, Even with all that still could have gotten my sub 9:00 easily if I didn't have that whole numb foot stick in my shoe thing, very strange.

Swimming is coming along nicely, Biking is ok also, getting faster on the run but realistically need to get into the 7's to be respectible.

Possibly going to look for a running coach to help me out.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line saw the family and went to the Margarita tent for a well deserved drink. My son had his 1k race at 3:00 so we stuck around for quite a while afterwards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Started off using the back as an excuse but it didn't bother me at all. Should have just HTFU and ridden a bit harder on the bike and run harder.

Event comments:

5 stars to Keith the RD, they put on a hell of a race. Best Schwag of any race I have done. Plenty of food for both participants and spectators. Wonderful park to have the event in. My kids were there for 8+ hours for 2 days in a row and they had a great time. The kids zone was very popular and plenty of activities for them to do.

Very proud of my wife for finishing her first HIM on Sunday, not the easiest course in the world but she did it!

My son won the 6 and under pie eating contest (he tied with another kid) and won a towel and some kind of light up bouncing ball.

The kids race participants got a nice shirt and volunteers handed them a rubber race medal and a bottle of water when they crossed the finish line

My only complaint was that 2 of the roads were pretty crappy to ride on but you have to deal with that kind of thing at a lot of races.

Last updated: 2009-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:33 | 1500 meters | 03m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 52/87
Overall: 404/884
Performance: Good
Suit: Synergy Hybrid
Course: Counter clockwise Triangle in a very clean lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:43
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:22:56 | 27.34 miles | 19.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 32/87
Overall: 184/884
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Very hilly course with rough roads
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:01 | 06.21 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 61/87
Overall: 489/884
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills, short run along the beach.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-06-09 8:34 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance

2009-06-09 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2204509

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance
Terrific job Tony.  Your swim is really amazing.  I would not beat yourself up too much on the run.  Looks like you had some technical difficulties with the socks and shoes that soaked up a ton of time.  File it away for the next time.  My T1 time was 4:00 on Sunday.  What the heck are we doing?

I have two ideas for running coaches if you are intersted.  PM me.

Suzy
2009-06-09 8:57 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
oops, should be 30:55 on the swim, not 50:33.

2009-06-09 9:02 AM
in reply to: #2204616

dalessit - 2009-06-09 9:57 AM oops, should be 30:55 on the swim, not 50:33.

I was wondering about that! First I saw it and thought "OMG, what happened!" but then I read your description and figured it was just a typo Great job out there - 30 min for 1500 meters is great!

I'm sure you and Sam are very proud of your son's pie-scarfing abilities

2009-06-09 9:04 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Very nice job Tony.  Monster improvement on that swim!   What a performance.  I wouldn't be surprised if your back problems were some of the cause for your numb feet.  Do you see a chiropractor?  Fabulous job!   You should be very proud.  I am.
2009-06-09 9:08 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Tony:

With the back issue in the back of your mind and playing with your focus you ran one heck of a race! The sand/stick issue is weird though. Sounds like you were in control all the way up to the run. Did you ride too fast after the bug incident, to make up time? Maybe that is what effected your run. Congrats on a great swim.

2009-06-09 9:14 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
Good job!!!

my younger son won the older kids pie eating contest!!!
both boys planned to run the 1k, but then after we went back to the house they lost interest and ultimately talked me into driving home instead of sticking around.

my older son may have been the one to hand you gel and gatorade out of the swim - he was there shoving it in my face!!!

I think T1 is our brains being numb - no way was that water 62....
2009-06-09 9:27 AM
in reply to: #2204616

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
dalessit - 2009-06-09 8:57 AM oops, should be 30:55 on the swim, not 50:33.

I was wondering about that as well

Great job out there, it wasn't an easy race by any means but a great event nevertheless. Congrats to the family as well!
2009-06-09 10:23 AM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.
STUPID BUGS!  I hate that.  You know you just have to look at this race, and see how far you have come.  Each race you are coming out with some incredible knowledge of what you need to work on, and you do.  Be patient!  Each day is a new day, and each race is a new race.  You have come so far in your running that you have nothing to complain about.... Last year you were running 10+ minute miles now your running sub 9 at the end of a race.

Great great job!  I am proud of you.  Hats off to your wife....
2009-06-09 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Great race!  Your swimming has gotten SO MUCH better and all b/c of hard work.  As far as the rest of your hiccups, I think I need to be in transition to smack you around.  I rode for 56 miles without feeling my feet.  Glad we went and had such a great time.  Can't wait to plan our next destination tri w/ and w/o the kids.  ;-)
2009-06-09 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great job out there Tony - that is a very nice improvement on the swim and a very solid bike and run!

2009-06-09 8:23 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Great job, Tony!!! Excellent swim, all of your hard work really is paying dividends.  "Only 19.7 mph" on what sounds like a really hilly course with the bug incident and all is pretty awesome.  Can't imagine the feet being that numb and having to run 6.2!  You guys need your next tri to be a little warmer.  Congrats!

2009-06-11 8:51 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Nice race Tony. Welcome to Canadian OWS!! Nice improvement there for sure.
Z
2009-06-18 9:53 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

Awesome stuff! Youare my heroes for driving there with kiddos

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mooseman Triathlon Festival - International Distance Rss Feed