Vineman, Inc.
100F / 38C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Since I had a late wave (8:22) and was staying 10 minutes walking distance from the start I took my time in the morning, ate my oatmeal and banana and got to the race site about 45 minutes before I went in. There were friends there I wanted to see start the day.
Event warmup:

None really. You could warm up just before your wave so I got in and got wet and then we were off.
Swim
  • 45m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think I had a pretty good swim. Navigation was good - stayed to the right but not too far. I got run over a little bit by the last wave of men that came through - a guy really knocked my head with his arm and left me sputtering but other than that it was good. I felt great getting out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I really don't know the exact times for any part of this race. I got my gear on - sunscreen too even! Walked my bike up the hill out of transition and was off. I was smiling and laughing. I remember that because a guy mentioned it as I rode past - wow look at that smile have a great ride!
What would you do differently?:

Not much I think I did okay.
Bike
  • 4h 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 14.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I was glad I had on my bike shorts over the tri shorts for the ride. It was worth the extra 2 minutes it took to put them on in transition as the first 15 or so miles were bumpy. I have greatly improved on my bike and this time I had somewhat of a plan to follow. I followed my nutrition to a tee - endurolytes every hour, a swig of perpetuum about every 20 minutes and water. Worked out well. I didn't feel hungry or empty the whole ride. I did not blow my legs up on the bike. I stayed on it for every hill except for Chalk Hill which I had decided to walk up since by the time I got there it was soo HOT I knew if I did that hill it would probably be the end of me at that point and I still had a half mary to do. Last year, I walked a good handful of the hills on this course. So to only walk the one - yay me. Plus I have a new bike that I've fallen in love with and fits which was not the case last year. The last time I felt human and good was at the last aid station on the bike course - I stayed there probably a good 15 minutes in the shade trying to cool myself off a little bit and was pouring cold water into my bike helmet and putting ice in my shirt. My good friend caught up to me here and we rode together and walked Chalk Hill together. At the top of the hill I was scared - I'm not scared of climbing but I am of the big downhills. She went first and I followed. I hauled ass! I was scared but I did it and I continued to do it for the rest of the bike course. My friend dropped her chain at that left turn at the bottom of the hill coming off of Chalk and she waved me on. WE were chasing the cut off. Lucky for me, I'd be seeing her sooner than later.

My saddle is questionable. It's new - I've ridden it a few times but not 56 miles and my butt didn't like it on Sunday. Other than that I think I did okay. Plus did I mention it was freaking HOT!!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I remember looking at my watch and it said 1:20 p.m.. As I sat there on the grass in the sun putting on my HOT shoes, I so did not want to do this. It was so HOT. I was sweltering. I put sunscreen on and I tried not to cry. As I was leaving my friend came in to transition with that same look on her face...I told her don't cry! there's no crying in triathlon!

Hose myself off? Lay in a tub of ice? Fly to Alaska? Jump in the river? It was so hot.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I walked out of transition and into everyone else coming in from the run. I cried. Yes there you have it - crying in triathlon. I was so pissed. I saw my friend Ray on my way out and he told me to put ice in my hat at every station and on my wrists and in my bottle. I had more perpetuum in there. I ran about 15 minutes before the nausea started and thought okay I'll walk the first mile get it together and then re-evaluate after the first aid station. By then the nausea had passed and I was able to take some nutrition. The nausea turned to diarrhea and from here on out I only moved as fast as I did to get to the next porta potty. My friend that I left crying in transition caught up to me coming out of the one at mile 3 I think. We walked together the rest of the time. I am so grateful that she was there. She had me laughing and joking a bit instead of being mad and you know misery loves company. She was not doing so well herself. We got screwed this year with the late start. It was her birthday even. Argh!! When we got to the halfway point at La Crema the guy came sweeping the course it was about 4:20 p.m.; he offered to take us back or we could continue with no course support on the way back as they were closing it down. They had already pulled up the timing mat and turned off the mister at La Crema. By this time I had started to feel only slightly better and was able to walk past that last porta potty and not go in. Did I mention it was hot? Well imagine how hot it was inside of those freaking things. Miserable. I told the guy no way I'm not quitting pick me up at 5:00. My friend said are you sure? You look like you're about to hit the deck any second plus do you realize you're slurring a little bit? No, I didn't realize I was that bad and that it was noticeable too. It was that mile in the winery where I decided I had to be done. We would have no course support for the last 6 miles. We didn't know the way back. Turn right at this vineyard, then that one - I didn't have the slightest clue. When I race, as I think most of us who do, I don't give a rat's ass about the directions or street names or any of that - we really don't have to. What would happen to our bikes? Then there was the road - that bloody hot, not shady fucking road which was now open to traffic too. I couldn't bear the thought of walking on the road another step. I cried. I was so disappointed. This run took everything I had - I thought of everything I could to help me keep going. My friend Lawrence who'd give anything to race or even train in any conditions and I am lucky enough to do it. Chris too. Stop complaining and quit being a pussy I told myself. I got in the car with my friend and he took us back to transition. I finished 7.1 of the 13 miles. It took 3 hours I think maybe a little less. I didn't realize how jacked up I really was until I was in the car and had the sun off my head for more than a second. I didn't eat much either the entire run and I had a few chips in the car.

Find a way to turn off the sun. Carry a parasol? Now there's a thought.
Post race
Warm down:

WARM down? Really?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

heat. hot. sun. summertime race in mid July. HOT. People said different temps ranging from 97 to 104.

Event comments:

I loved this race last year. I am the broken record that says "last year I finished this race.." I hated not finishing. I think they could start everyone a little earlier - say daybreak. We're triathletes for goodness sake we get up at the crack of dawn ALL THE TIME to train so why not race day too? You know you were up at that hour anyway!

Last updated: 2009-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Sleeveless
Course: U-shape
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:00:00 | 56 miles | 14.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills, beautiful vineyards - road was bumpy for about the first 15 or so miles.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back in the sun with almost no shade and rolling hills. On a normal day, this is not such a bad course.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-07-22 12:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Vineman Ironman 70.3

2009-07-22 12:41 AM
in reply to: #2300663

User image

Elite
san francisco
Subject: RE: Vineman Ironman 70.3
Dolores, you finished this race last year! There, I said it for you!
Our wave did get screwed with the later start time and it was a freaking frying pan out there at 2pm. My car temp at 4pm said 102F and it was parked under a tree! You made the right decision. You know your body and just how much pain it can deal with. I can feel your pain and your frustration, but it is simply not worth it to risk your health. There will always be other triathlons and challenges. There is only one Dolores. I think sometimes we are given these challenges to strengthen our resolve.

You are going to do great at IMAZ!
2009-07-22 2:25 AM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Said it already in your log, but I'll say it again:  Better to walk away and fight again another day than end up in the hospital.  (Especially since you've already finished this race and you've got a much bigger fish to fry in November.)

Oh...and congrats on beating all the hills except that ugly ol' Chalk Hill this time around. 
2009-07-22 5:13 AM

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
I'm so damn proud of you with this race, Dolores. You rocked the bike and swim, and you knew when you had to call it off. And it sounds like you really, really had to. You can't control the heat and what it does to your body! Anyway, you already know you're an awesome triathlete -- you have nothing to prove. (Except at IMAZ, and you're going to kick so much a$$ there!)

I'm still pissed I couldn't get up there to see you!
2009-07-22 9:01 AM

Dolores - I am actually very proud of you. It takes a lot of guts to keep moving forward but even more to know when to stop - at least this way you can come back another day (rather that than having heat stroke!) Like I said in my race report my husband said his car was registering 111 degrees so it was damn hot out there.

Suzie
2009-07-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2301157

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

smac322 - 2009-07-22 7:01 AM Dolores - I am actually very proud of you. It takes a lot of guts to keep moving forward but even more to know when to stop - at least this way you can come back another day (rather that than having heat stroke!) Like I said in my race report my husband said his car was registering 111 degrees so it was damn hot out there. Suzie

great job Dolores! you made the right decision...you know you can do it...this was some extraordinary heat...and no reason to end up like many of the other runners who ended up on a gurney or in an ambulance...I saw much of this as I was on my bike on the running course and there were many athletes on the side of the road asking me to send help....so give yourself a pat on the back and say next time I will rock that race! and iin IMAZ...you are soo gonna be an ironman! if anyone has the heart...you do! KIU!!!!

2009-07-22 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
I took it relatively easy on the bike and still melted on the run. I soaked myself and put ice in my cap at every opportunity. I couldn't believe how fast some people were doing the return leg as I was going out. I prayed for fog at least through mid morning but it didn't happen! Glad I did the race though.

Good job!
2009-07-22 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Very tough conditions ,  The high heat did its damage and you made a good decision to call it a day and not end up

with a serious heat related injury.   Think of the Chicago Marathon a couple of years ago.

Good Luck with the next one .

2009-07-23 12:02 PM

User image

Pro
NorCal
It was a frying pan out there!  You put up a great fight!  See you at IMAZ.
2009-07-23 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm not sure I would have even shown up knowing the temps were going to be that hot!  You, my friend, are a rockstar.  Nice swim and bike to be sure!!!  The one thing you can't control is the weather.  I think you did a heck of job trying to beat the elements.  Be proud.  You had a good race.

2009-07-23 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks so much to everybody for your comments here. I really do appreciate them and they made me feel better.   

2009-07-24 1:20 AM

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Dolores, I got teary reading your report! I'm so sorry about the disappointment, although I think you made the right decision. I got the early stages of heat stroke in a race once and now realize what a dumb- I was for continuing in a race when my body was breaking down. You can't control the weather. If it were ten degrees cooler you'd have kicked that race's . Had you tried to do that last 6 miles, you could have really gotten yourself into some trouble physically. As hard as it was, you made the right decision, and will always be a rock star in my book!
2009-07-24 10:35 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Wow, what a tough race. It takes a stong person to know when to stop rather than risk your overall health. Looking forward to seeing you at IM Arizona.
2009-07-25 12:38 AM

User image

Expert
Dolores, I've said it before and I'll say it again.. you rule! The journey is so much more important than any single race. Your journey has been truly inspiring. I can't wait to read your IM race report in the coming months!!
2009-07-28 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Dang very tough conditions....good job on swim and bike. Smart move to take care of your health and recover well so you can continue to train for IMAZ.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed