General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Embarrassing Moments While Exercising... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-09-03 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2386738

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Embarrassing Moments While Exercising...
While training, I had worn a very small hole in my tri shorts from rubbing against the saddle bag strap of my bike. But it was small and I didn't think anything of it in choosing to wear those shorts for my HIM last year. After all, they were the bottoms to my favorite race outfit.

Unfortunately, during the swim and bike, the hole developed into a run that exposed a good portion of my posterior (about the size of Montana) to the world.

I spent the rest of the bike leg being informed about the situation and accepting a few compliments.

2009-09-03 1:41 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Standard `dumb man' moment. In some cardio kick-boxing class a couple years ago I didn't knwo which way to go, but instead of kind of standing there watching to figure out the rhythm I just tried to wing it and walked into a roundhouse to the chest by some tall hottie, way taller than me. I stumbled back over the bosu and landed on my butt. Of course the whole class stops to look and the instructor comes running over and the woman, who is towering over me, is standing there saying `I'm soooo sorry!' over and over. Talk about emasculating. So the rest of the class the isntructor, Jeff, who was also my personal trainer at the time and flamoyantly gay kept saying `See! Take my class and you can kick the sh*t out of men! Not that Tony really is much of a man but YOUUUUU know what I mean.' And all the girls were snickering and giggling, thankfully after they realized I was OK.

Needless to say I didn't go back to that class.
2009-09-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2387708

User image

Pro
Burbs
lisac957 - 2009-09-03 2:35 PM

Not sure I was embarrased, just something odd that happened.

Swimming laps and a girl is joining to share my lane. She is starting from the deep end. Strange, but OK.
As I approach the deep end, I notice she dropped something and it sank to the bottom. I will be nice and pick it up for her since I am right there! I dive down and pick up a freaking WEIGHT, and set it on the side of the pool for her. I am so nice.

She says "oh... I did that on purpose. It's part of my physical therapy to retrieve weights."

Oh, ummm ok. Carry on. Embarassed

awwwhh... you were just trying to be helpful !
2009-09-03 1:55 PM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
Nothing like reading others embarrassing moments to help you feel better about your own.  I do have one that sticks out in my mind.  It wasn't while exercising as such, but it was during a very active day with lots of people around.  This is going waaaay back to when I was young and single and guys wore those big baggy Hawaiian print shorts.  My friend decided to have a party at the beach.  Volleyball, sailing, food, windsurfing, all that fun stuff.  Well the day seems to go well.  We all have fun.  I had another friend that I had helped plan her first party so I start picking up my stuff so I can head out to check in and see how its going at her party.  As I'm walking across the beach carrying the windsurfing stuff I notice that things down south would get a little cool breeze every few steps.  Concerned I start walking taking a little less bold steps and stop at the restroom on the way to the car.  Sure enough the seam had split out.  And not just a short split.  It was about a 10" long.   I have no idea how long they had been that way.  I didn't notice anything until the air had started to cool off that evening.  My only hope was that the big baggy shorts had kept things mostly covered.
2009-09-03 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

You mean besides being chicked, geezered, or passed by the lady with the jogging stroller? 

Met up with some locals for my first trail run (this was in January).  We run 8-10 miles and a few of us decide to head out for a couple more miles.  I'm not in front (I have no idea where I'd be going) and I'm focused on the ground immediately in front of me so I don't twist an ankle.  I'm wearing sunglasses and my billed running hat and manage to look up about 10 milliseconds before I hit an overhanging tree branch. 

BLAM! 

I'm mostly OK, but I have a pretty good scrape from the bridge of my glasses right between my eyebrows.  Neighborhood party later that night, and then I have to show up at work on Monday.  Not much fun explaining to people that I was out running in the woods in January (it's cold outside) and RUN INTO A TREE. 

2009-09-03 2:04 PM
in reply to: #2387827

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
McFuzz - 2009-09-03 3:02 PM

Met up with some locals for my first trail run (this was in January).  We run 8-10 miles and a few of us decide to head out for a couple more miles.  I'm not in front (I have no idea where I'd be going) and I'm focused on the ground immediately in front of me so I don't twist an ankle.  I'm wearing sunglasses and my billed running hat and manage to look up about 10 milliseconds before I hit an overhanging tree branch. 

BLAM! 

I'm mostly OK, but I have a pretty good scrape from the bridge of my glasses right between my eyebrows.  Neighborhood party later that night, and then I have to show up at work on Monday.  Not much fun explaining to people that I was out running in the woods in January (it's cold outside) and RUN INTO A TREE. 

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Same thing happened to my boyfriend when we were on the trails together.  I called him "Karl of the Jungle" (i.e.  "WATCH OUT FOR THAT TREE!") for weeks.

2009-09-03 2:25 PM

houston
Unbelievable that this post is up today as my wife was just making fun of me for a very embarrasing moment. 

I am leaving the house yesterday to go and workout.  I had just put on my favorite tri shorts.  They were feeling a bit worn in the crotch but still functional.

My wife stops as I am leaving and almost falls to the ground laughing.  She says my shorts are completely see through, like wearing nylon pantyhose without underwear.  I look down and cannot really notice so she takes a picture with her phone. OMG!!! I could not believe it.  You could see everything, in detail.

So my mind races back to the last time I wore the shorts.  Last weekend during a tri.  I was dying, did everybody see everything?  I run to the race shot pictures.  Thankfully during the run my race number was covering, and you cannot see much in aero position, but there it was!  A picture of me out of aero, with everything on show for all the world.

Now that is embarrasing!
2009-09-03 3:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA

You mean besides being chicked, geezered, or passed by the lady with the jogging stroller? 

BLAM! 

I can sympathize - I didn't hit a tree though.  Mine was a guy-wire.   It came from the telephone pole and stretched out over the sidewalk into someone's front yard, so it was slightly overhanging the sidewalk.  I was pushing the jogging stroller at the time and I hit the wire with my right shoulder, stopped us both short and the front end of the stroller went right up into the air.

I had a bruise for weeks, but my son thought it was a pretty fun ride.

2009-09-03 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Back in my meathead days, I was trying to deadlift WAYYYY more than I knew I could, and everyone around me knew it too.  Well, I got the weight up, and my back went out.  I dropped the bar on the ground and screamed like a little girl!  I was on the floor for a good 10 min before I crawled to the locker room.  I had to have a friend help me with my shoes. 

I'll never do that again!
2009-09-03 3:20 PM

User image

Denver-ish
I had my weiner slip out of my speedo my senior year of highschool.  It was the club state championships at the Natatorium - IUPUI.  I was the fly leg on the relay....noticed something didn't feel right as I entered the water but focussed on the race....by the time I finished the 100 though, I had forgotten all about the dive and failed to look down before getting out of the water.  Rushing onto the deck to cheer on the next guy into the water I looked up and saw the timer looking at me with a strange look on her face.  Yup, it was out.  That was the last time I ever wore that suit.
2009-09-03 3:35 PM

User image

Master
North Alabama

Left for a 5mi run one morning over the summer. My running partner and I settled into a nice pace and off we went.

2mi into it, my stomach still hadn't settled, and was actually disagreeing with me. Matter of fact, it brought me to a dead stop. I told my running partner to keep going and I'll catch up.

Sadly, the 2mi mark was near the golf course with very little cover. And, the nearest port-a-let was only .25mi away, but I couldn't make it. I had to find a tree and quick.

Did my thing and ran the rest missing my left sock....

To make it worse, it was an out and back, so when I passed back by the doomed tree, I couldnt' do anything but laugh

2009-09-03 3:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, Il (Chicagoland)
Happened to a guy I knew in HS that was on the Track team.  He was on the far side of the football stadium and wanted to get back to the locker rooms in the school and going around the stadium takes a while since there were no gates on that side that were open. Sohe  decided to cut through the stadium and football field but the stadium had about a 10' fence around it.  He climbed it and dropped over the side - snagging his running shorts and ripping them off to leave them high and dry on the top of the fence and landing in front of a squad of cheerleaders while he was completely buck naked from the waste down.  He quickly pulled his shirt down to his knees and did a duck walk about 1/4 mile back to the school and through the halls to get to the locker room.
2009-09-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2387905

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
gpdtx - 2009-09-03 3:25 PM So my mind races back to the last time I wore the shorts.  Last weekend during a tri.  I was dying, did everybody see everything?  I run to the race shot pictures.  Thankfully during the run my race number was covering, and you cannot see much in aero position, but there it was!  A picture of me out of aero, with everything on show for all the world.

Now that is embarrasing!

I guess that means you're not going to post the picture...

Edited by maria40nc 2009-09-03 7:00 PM
2009-09-03 8:31 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Was out for a bike ride last weekend w/ my husband and blew a snot rocket onto him. oops.

2009-09-04 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
What used to be the country, PA

BLAM! 

Same thing but on a mountain bike - watching the ruts and rocks while booking on singletrack thru the woods and a branch catches me in the chest and ejects me. I was flat on my back and my bike was 50 yards down the trail. Of course 10 seconds later people come the other way - I hadn't seen anyone all day!
2009-09-04 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2388457

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
maria40nc - 2009-09-03 7:41 PM
gpdtx - 2009-09-03 3:25 PM So my mind races back to the last time I wore the shorts.  Last weekend during a tri.  I was dying, did everybody see everything?  I run to the race shot pictures.  Thankfully during the run my race number was covering, and you cannot see much in aero position, but there it was!  A picture of me out of aero, with everything on show for all the world.

Now that is embarrasing!

I guess that means you're not going to post the picture...

It's actually pretty easy to find the pictures if you collect enough clues. I'm not going to give it away because I don't want to embarrass him. But, yes, he needs new shorts. And no, I don't swing that way, I just wanted a laugh.

Edited by InsainoDwayno 2009-09-04 11:06 AM

2009-09-04 12:14 PM

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
I've got one from back in HS...
Our swim team was a Districts and the quick suits for way back then were the zippered suits that are good and snug...and if you are a woman, ride up your butt.  So, I'm entered into the distance events, and the 500 free was on that list.  I dive in for the race, and the suit decides to slip.  Now if you know about swimming competitively, then you know I had a counter at the other end of the pool, flipping the counter for each lap.  Needless to say, the poor guy was mooned the entire race--and I put in my best time that year for it.
2009-09-04 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2389856

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
hannawho - 2009-09-04 1:14 PM I've got one from back in HS...
Our swim team was a Districts and the quick suits for way back then were the zippered suits that are good and snug...and if you are a woman, ride up your butt.  So, I'm entered into the distance events, and the 500 free was on that list.  I dive in for the race, and the suit decides to slip.  Now if you know about swimming competitively, then you know I had a counter at the other end of the pool, flipping the counter for each lap.  Needless to say, the poor guy lucky b@st@rd was mooned the entire race--and I put in my best time that year for it.

fixed that for ya
2009-09-04 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
I have three...

1. Decided to try steps aerobics in the mid 90s. We were doing this step that involved straddling the step and alternately jumping up on it while jumping from side to side. During one step, my foot caught the underside of the step and flipped it up causing me to stumble onto the flipped up step which in turn slammed into my shin. Of course the instructor came over to help me up and and make sure I was OK. I never went back...

2. I had just started using protein powder in my post workout shakes and was dealing with some digestive issues (i.e. very bad gas). During a leg workout while coming up out of the squat position I let out an extremely loud very bad smelling fart that just about cleared the small room that contained the squat racks.

3. I have been an avid mountain biker for about 15 years. During that time I have introduces a few friends to the sport with much success. One time though it did not work so well... A work acquaintance had been asking me a lot of questions about the sport so I gladly agreed to take him out and show him the ropes. Fortunately for me each year our company picnic was held at a local park that had a trail, in fact a very easy one, perfect for a newbie. About a mile out on the trail, while going down a slight downhill, my front tire hit a root, turned, and launched me over the handle bars causing me to fall right on my shoulder and dislocate it. This was not the first time I had dislocated my shoulder so it popped back into place but not before we started hiking back to the picnic area.
2009-09-04 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Oh...well...if you want to include HS...

1)  Not me, but last year, one of the HS swimmers is entered in the 500.  He doesn't have the typical HS swim physique (more of a pear-shape) and didn't get the drawstring *tight*.  Lap after lap, the jammers just keep sliding farther and farther away from his waist.  The crowd got the "extended play" option, so the last minute or two, he was the only one swimming...

2)  This was me.  My sophomore and junior years, I ran cross country in addition to playing in the band.  We had a pretty small team, and I was the #1 reserve runner (top-7 were varsity).  Conference meet my junior year, there are only 8 of us, so as the #1 reserve runner, I was the *only* reserve runner.  The varsity boys run, the varsity girls run, and I run.  I change out of my spikes and back into my training flats and start a short cooldown.  Come back to the bus--or more appropriately come back to where the bus was--and it's gone.  OK...no biggie...the meet is about 25 miles away from home, but there are 2 schools in our district, so I go over to our rivals and ask their coach if I can ride with them back to their school (about 6 miles from home).  He snickers and gladly lets me ride with his team (I had a lot of friends in that school since our middle school fed both schools).  They stop for dinner at McDonald's and I bum $5 from the coach for dinner and stick out like a sore thumb during dinner.  My coach gets about half-way home when someone notices my stuff on the seat, so they head back to the now-empty venue.  Coach gets back to the school and has to call my parents.  The conversation went something like this:

Coach:  "Mrs. M.  do you know where your son is?"
Mom:  "He should be with you.  Don't YOU know where he is?"
C:  "Well...seems we (ah) left without him, and (um), he wasn't there when we went back..."
M:  "So...what are YOU going to do?" 

When I got back to the rival HS, they let me use the phone to call Mom, and a family of one of the kids offered to drive me home (I think they dropped me off at the school).  (This was back in the days of rotary phones, so no cell phone, no call waiting, no answering machine.  )

Next day, the athletic director is giving me all kinds of crap about running too slow.  (news travels fast).  I repaid the rival coach at the sectional meet the following weekend. 

2009-09-04 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2389862

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
mrbbrad - 2009-09-04 12:16 PM
hannawho - 2009-09-04 1:14 PM I've got one from back in HS...
Our swim team was a Districts and the quick suits for way back then were the zippered suits that are good and snug...and if you are a woman, ride up your butt.  So, I'm entered into the distance events, and the 500 free was on that list.  I dive in for the race, and the suit decides to slip.  Now if you know about swimming competitively, then you know I had a counter at the other end of the pool, flipping the counter for each lap.  Needless to say, the poor guy lucky b@st@rd was mooned the entire race--and I put in my best time that year for it.

fixed that for ya

LOL-nice edit!

2009-09-04 2:30 PM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
There's a local trail along the river that I run sometimes. It starts at a boat launch and a lot of local crew teams put there boats in there. There's also a port-a-potty and some metal racks (I think for the boats?) that on this day, for some reason, were right next to the port-a potty.

So, this one day I stop down for a run, but my stomach isn't doing so well. I decide to hit the port-a-potty before I start. Before I went in, I noticed there was some guy doing stretches near the start of the path. A while later, I'm finally exiting the port-a-potty and see this guy still there. I'm a little embarrassed that I've been hanging out in the port-a-potty so long and try to put my head down and slink off to start my run. I should have kept my head up because I walked right into this large, unmoveable metal rack. WHAM! Fortuantely, I hit it with my arm and not my head or something because it knocked me flat on my a$$ and kind of stunned me for a minute. Then, I had to pick myself up and try to slink by this guy again...
2009-09-04 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2387108

User image

Veteran
BHannahs - 2009-09-03 11:25 AM

I posted this a while back, but it is relevant here, and still embarrassing...

The following story was written in my training log on Monday.  The events described occurred on Saturday, and unfortunately, are all true.  A few of my blog visitors thought that the CoJ crowd might enjoy laughing at/with me...

So, the training aspect of the Vegas trip was eventful.  I went for a run on Saturday morning that was going to be a little over eight miles along the strip and back to the hotel.  I've run the strip before and couldn't wait, as it is a fun run.  I left at around 6:30am, which is a great time of day to be out.  Since it's Vegas at dawn, you tend to see all sorts of strange stuff at that time of the morning.  Little did I know that I was about to be a part of the bizzarre parade, and probably end up in the stories of many others when they descibed the weird things they saw on their trip.  With about a mile left in the run, my chest started stinging a little bit as if I was chafing.  No big deal, I thought, I'm almost done.  When I got back to the hotel, I prepared for the walk of shame through the casino.  I'm always a little self conscious returning to the hotel after a training run, since you have to go all the way through the casino to get to the elevators.  It was even a little worse than usual this time, since we were staying at Hard Rock, and they have become even more of a hangout for the young and pretty since last time we stayed.  As I'm meandering back to the elevators, dripping in sweat, I tried to avoid the stares of the people in the casino, with their tight skin and judgment.  The he!! with them, I thought, I just ran 8 1/2 miles while you were sitting in here drinking and gambling. 

I returned to the room and wandered into the bathroom.  I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and was HORRIFIED - there were two half-dollar sized blood stains on my shirt (a bright yellow shirt, by the way - trying to be as visible as possible) over my nipples.  Yep - the telltale sign of a long unlubricated run gone bad.  Geez - how long had they been there?  No wonder people were looking at me a little funny.  I just thought that people were a little unfriendly, not having any idea that they were looking at me like a crazy person and shielding their and their childrens' eyes from a sight that would haunt them for years to come.  I had been oblivious to my condition.  Before I knew it, my caring wife had ordered Neosporin from room service (who knew they even offered that?) to help them heal.  She said that the entire hotel staff is probably referring to me as 'bloody nipple guy'. 

2009-09-04 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Ran 7 miles with the price tag still attached to my hat.
2009-09-04 10:27 PM

houston
InsanoDwayne- cannot believe you found those pictures.  Actually my wife and I went back to the actual pics taken at the tri but the professionals and there is a pic of me crossing the finish line that is just SOOOO embarrasing.  I cannot believe I was walking around at that tri with everything showing.  Someone could have given me a hint.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Embarrassing Moments While Exercising... Rss Feed  

of 3