Ironman North America
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 53m 37s
Overall Rank = 489/2400
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 84/368
Pre-race routine:

It has been a long way coming to this point. I started 5 years ago 60 lbs larger and not knowing what a 5K was. When I rode my bike, I would stop every few miles to have a cigarette. That is all I am going to say. I will not bore yous with the details.

Up at 4:00 and got stuff together. Ate what I could from the hotel pantry, peanut butter crackers, M&M's, Diet Pepsi, Chocolate chip cookies, a banana, the usual breakfast of champions. I mixed up a 6 hour Perpetuem bottle and a short Perpetuem bottle for prerace. As I was looking around the hotel room for things I might have forgotten, I noticed my wetsuit under some bags. That freaked me out a little, though I am sure I could have gone without.
Event warmup:

I saw MissKelly on the way to the start which caused me to get a bit jerked up. I was having trouble talking. The walk to the start was very emotional for me. I know I can finish this race, I just was never sure that I was going to make it to the starting line. A lot of people don't even make it this far. I was almost brought down about 7 weeks ago when I had the bike accident. So I was very grateful to be at the starting line. At one point I looked into the crowd and saw my buddy Chuck. He was just smiling and nodding at me. I smiled and nodded back. It was go time!!!
Swim
  • 1h 04m 19s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming is by far my strength. I had been swimming competively most of my younger self. So I was very excited to do my first mass start. I had a huge smile on my face as I swam out and I was getting smiles back from other people.
I started a bit back on the inside. I really should have started up front like everyone told me to. I ended up getting blocked all over the place. For the first half of the first loop I was swimming a lot with my head out of the water to avoid getting kicked or elbowed. I know I gave it to someone cause I got teeth marks in my right elbow. I stayed inside for the first loop. The first couple turns were nuts. I just tried to keep away from people as much as I could. I got tired of all the crazyness and went wide for the second. I had the water all to myself for the first half of the second, then I merged back in because things were loosening up traffic wise. I never got hit in the face nor did anyone bite me or did I bite annyone else. Coming into the swim exit was pretty cool because of the arch and all the people and Mike Reilly's voice on the loadspeaker. WOW!!!! I can't wait to do that again!

What would you do differently?:

Start up front and go for it.
Transition 1
  • 07m 58s
Comments:

When I got my wetsuit stripped I almost lost my pants! Hello Ladies!

Running up the helix was a trip! Besides not being able to find my bag, T1 went very smooth I thought. I didn't forget anything!

Don't know.
Bike
  • 5h 40m 44s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I tried to stay calm and ride slow for the first 20 miles, but that is not really my way. I got caught up racing some guys a couple times. Nothing major. I pretty much stood up on all the hills, I just felt more comfortable that way. Nutrition plan was for a six hour perpetuem bottle, drinking 1/3 at a time. I drank the first 3rd after about an hour. I took 6 enduralytes, 4 hammer gels, 6 bottles of water and 3 bottles of gatorade. Never had to pee once. In fact, the only time I peed was right before the race and at the start in the water.

I had a blast on the bike. We have ridden these roads a few times, so nothing was a surprise. I felt great the whole time. My wife Anne and a friend Scott came out to Verona. I rode through the crowd whooping it up and the crowd went nuts. I could hear Anne say, "Go faster Jerkface!" as I rode by. That's my wife, she love's me.

I wasn't sweating really at all. This was curious because usually I sweat like a pig. So I couldn't gauge what the temperature was. I didn't pack special needs, so I never stopped.

I did learn an interesting thing. Never high five a spectator when you are riding a bike. I nearly ripped my arm off.

I passed coredump out there as we were climbing a hill. I recognized the mocha loca jersey. Saw KimK volunteering before fireman's park.

The aid stations were a trip, trying to grab a bottle while moving.

The climbs up the 3 sisters was fun. I couldn't believe people were walking them. I saw a woman dressed as a banana who seemed very interested in me.

I had rode the course pretty hard. Probably harder than I should have. However I don't have any regrets. It was a lot of fun. The ride from Verona back to Madison was pretty tough. The wind was in our face and I couldn't wait to get off the bike, but I really wasn't looking forward to running. I was looking forward to getting back downtown.

not much. good ride.

Transition 2
  • 05m 9s
Comments:

I got to the top of the helix and there was Anne and Scott and I waved and blew them kisses. I felt great and they said I looked really good. I dismounted and grabbed some of the stuff out of my bento and off I went to change. The volunteer did a great job setting me up which is good because I was starting to feel gassed. He got me all together and out the door I went. I got more sunscreen and lubed up my udders and armpits while I was running. This must have looked interesting. So why was everyone asking me if I was alright?

not much
Run
  • 4h 55m 29s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

So the wind from the bike is gone. I start to realize it is freakin warm out. My heart rate is up, up, up and my head is spinning. My legs feel great, but I can feel every organ in my gut bouncing around. My kidneys in particular were killing me. I don't remember much of the first few miles of the run. I was hallucinating like crazy. People said they saw me come out of T2 and that I looked like shit. I knew it was going to be like this from my training. I just had to keep moving and it would pass. I ran the first couple miles and then gave it up. A goal of mine was to run the whole marathon, nomatter how slow, but it just hurt too much.
The rest of the marathon was to run downhill and walk uphill and to walk all the aid stations. I drank as much water and gatorade at the stations as I could for the first HM. I couldn't stomach any food. I had brought my fuel belt with perpetuem and hammer gel on it. I never tried the perpetuem and did use some of the gel in the second loop. Coredump passed me back at the lake on the first loop and I never saw him again. I saw Jeff Rogers, Chuck and Kamil at the start of the second loop and they told me I looked a lot better than when they saw me before. I don't remember seeing them coming out of T2. I guess I had talked to them, but I don't remember that. I also saw Anne and Scott and their spirits rose when they saw that I was doing better. I saw 2goggs at the turn on State. Saw Trudy Wakeman at the lake, she didn't look good at all. Saw running2far mostly walking. He must have kicked it because he did a much better marathon than me. Saw a lot of people out there and that was huge fun because the actual racing was not so much so.

I think running through Camp Randall was not all that fun. The turf was goofy and it was really warm in there.

Anne was taking over under bets on me finishing in 12. I only realized 12 was possible with about 6 miles to go. The sun had let up and things were getting more confortable. I was able to eat grapes, pretzels, some coke. With a couple miles to go I knew I had 12 in the bag and this was huge to me. I ran it all he way up State and then as I was turning the capital my left hamstring locked up. This was my first cramp all day, 2 blocks from the finish line. I laughed a bit and stopped to stretch it out. This must be where Karen Wood passed me. She is from my area and she beat me by seconds. I didn't mind getting chicked this time.

I had a monster smile on my face all the way in. Very cool feeling!!!

don't know. My legs always felt good. I think I may have needed to take more salt or more nutrition or .....
Post race
Warm down:

The catchers were fun because I caught last year. They asked me how many ironmans I had done and I said, "One." They couldn't believe that I went sub 12 on my first ironman.

Got my shirt, hat, medal, picture. My mom was there with my kids, Anne and Scott. My son seemed very relieved to see me. My mom said that it was the first time he smiled all weekend. I guess he had watched last year's Kona film with me too much.

Event comments:

Boy that was long and FUN! I am signed up for next year so I will see ya then. I can't wait!

Last updated: 2008-10-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:19 | 4224 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 49/368
Overall: 276/2400
Performance: Average
Nice and easy. I never really opened it up. I could and have raced faster than this.
Suit: Sleveless
Course: 2 X 1.2 mile loops
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:58
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:40:44 | 112 miles | 19.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 56/368
Overall: 318/2400
Performance: Good
Rode pretty strong the whole way. My pace for the loops was 20.5 and just over 19 for the stick.
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 05:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:55:29 | 26.2 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 156/368
Overall: 933/2400
Performance: Below average
Course: This felt very hilly to me and I train on hills everday.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-18 1:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Algonquin, IL
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin
Writing a race report is a lot of work.  Thanks to everyone else who took the time to write their's!

Edited by daviddclough 2009-09-18 1:49 PM

2009-09-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2414099

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
What you overcame with the crash this summer was amazing! I did have a little talk with myself and the words won't show up on BT All in all a great day, just wish a cloud or two would have rolled in....

2009-09-21 8:55 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Dave - Great race and race report.  It has been a blast training with you over the last couple of years.  Looking forward to next year helping you beat this time will be a blast.

And way to overcome a late season injury!
2009-09-21 2:03 PM

User image

Regular
Westchester, IL
Awesome report, so your wife was serious about calling you jerkface.
2009-09-21 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Hey bud....NICE WORK!!! Like Schmize said, nice work overcoming that injury...that was huge! I too was spectating near Firemen's park, so I'm sure I gave you a shout out at one point!

You guys had a hellluva day, but you killed it...nice work!!

2009-09-21 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Congratulations and what an incredible FIRST IM!!! I'm glad to hear you had fun!

2009-09-21 2:35 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Wow great race David! I cannot believe you broke 12 in your first IM! It was good to see you out there. It didn't seem like you were too winded or anything so you must've had a great plan in place! Nice work and hope to see you again soon!
2009-09-21 5:44 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I see you've also embraced my penchant for photojournalism.

Nice job! I don't think I saw you out there on the course at all! Boooooooooooooooo to that! But it was good to meet Anne @ the expo!

I'm glad I could be on this long strange trip with you.
2009-09-28 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Congratulations David! This is one hell of a time!!! Awesome effort and great RR. Not bad for a former chain smoker!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed