General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My advice for 1st time IMers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-11-18 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: My advice for 1st time IMers

I just finished IMFL and I thought I would take a minute to share some things that I learned along the way.  I picked up a lot of great advice here and I would like to give a little back to this awesome community.  Racing an IM is very individual, but I hope that my experiences can help someone else in planning and executing their race plan (disclaimer: check your specific race for details that may contradict what I am writing below).

So, here is a list of things I learned while doing my first IM that I wished I had known or that will be helpful in my next one …

-          IM events have lots of spectators around the key areas, typically near transition, bike in/out, run in/out, finish line, etc.  If you have a support crew (big or small) that you want to make sure you see and that they see you, plan ahead of time where they will be in specific detail.  As in, which side of the street at which intersection, at what times, etc.  At the finish line, plan whether they will be in the bleachers, on the side of the road, the more specific the better.  I knew generally where my husband would be, but it was stressful/overwhelming looking for him through the throngs of people.  My family saw me but I did not see them at the finish line because I didn’t know exactly where they were going to be and the finisher chute is just not that long!  They were screaming for me but I could not hear them over the crowd.

-          Have back-up/”rescue” nutrition on the bike (and hopefully something that you know will sit well in your stomach).  I trained and raced with Infinit on the bike and Clif blocks for the run.  I did at least four 100 mile+ rides on Infinit alone and was never hungry.  On race day, I felt myself getting hungry and was happy to have Clif blocks with me as back-up to boost my calorie intake and stave off the hunger.  A Clif bar would probably have been even better, but I didn’t have one.

-          If you are going to be on the course after dark, be prepared to be in the DARK for portions of the race.  You may be running through areas that are not well lit.  Put a headlamp or BRIGHT light of some sort in special needs.  The glow necklaces they give you on the course are more so that they can see you – they provide almost no light!  I was given a light saber by another racer prior to the race and was very thankful to have it in my special needs, but if I had to do it again, I would also have a brighter light.  It is a safety issue more than anything else.  The last thing you want to do is trip and sprain your ankle because you are running in the dark in an unfamiliar place!

-          I used both of my special needs bags and I got all of my stuff back the next morning.  Don’t forget to go and pick it up.  I was concerned about this based on what other people said online, but I had no issues getting my bags (I have heard you don't at some other races, check with other people who have done your race and read the athlete guide).  You will also get a ticket that you can give to someone in your support crew to claim your bike and bags for you, either race night (for your bike) or the next morning (for your bags).  Mark your special needs bag with bright colored duct tape or a ribbon.  This will help on race day AND the next day when you are digging to find your bags.  Close all of your bags tightly (tie them) so items do not fall out. Your mileage may vary.

-          Listen carefully as you turn the corner to enter the finisher chute.  There will probably be a timing mat 25 yards back or so.  LISTEN for your name as soon as you go over that timing mat.  I thought I was listening, but I missed Mike Reilly saying my name (by hubby heard it) and you can no longer purchase the finish line videos.  This was a huge disappointment for me.  I was expecting to get to purchase the “watch me finish” video.  My only consolation is my finisher’s medal!

-          Speaking of the finish line, be prepared to be a bit overwhelmed with the noise and bright lights, especially if you have been running in the dark.  I didn’t get emotional, but it was almost sensory overload!  Before I crossed the above reference timing mat, I had the presence of mind to move my sunglasses to my back pocket (which I promptly dropped and lost), throw away my glow necklace and move my light saber to the back of my race belt so that those items would not show up in the finish line photo.  Unfortunately, the sensory overload made me forget to smile and raise my arms while crossing the line.  I look like all business in the photo!

-          The Ironman store that sells finisher gear typically opens at 7 am.  There will be a line, so get there early if you are worried about getting what you want in your size.  A lot of event merchandise sells out (or at least the popular sizes do) before the race (the stuff that does not say finisher), so if you REALLY want one of these items you are going to have to purchase (gasp!) before the race.  They ran out of Mdot stickers before the race as well as 140.6 stickers.  The magnets do not hold up well in the rain.

-          I almost missed the Special Needs bags on the bikes because I was expecting them at the halfway point and they were around the 50 mile mark.  I never looked to see where they would be mileage wise, so double check that for your race.  It was obvious when I got there, but if you have a low number, you could be in a situation where you would have to turn around if you passed it.

-          Be careful with your morning bag!  Someone accidentally picked up another athlete’s morning bag so an athlete was searching for his bag that contained his wetsuit!  They made announcements looking for his bag for at least 10 + minutes.  I can only imagine how stressful that would be.  Marking your bag would help here too, as someone else is less likely to mistake it as their own.

-          There was not a countdown to the race start, just a cannon.  This surprised me.

-          Transition times were longer than normal for me, in large part because I am a MOP athlete so on a bell curve, I was in transition with a lot of other athletes.  T1 was much worse than T2.  Plus, the way IM had the transitions set up, you had to jump through a lot of hoops to get into and out of transition, only adding to your time there.  The only reason this is worth mentioning is that if you are chasing a time goal this can make a difference.  I thought I could get away with 5 minutes for each transition, but ended up with 8:46 and 5:37.  The extra time would have made the difference in breaking 13 hours for me.  Plan accordingly.

-          Your transition bags for T1 and T2 will probably be handed to you by a volunteer, but for T1 especially (this is by far the busier of the two), the volunteers were busy and I had to find it myself.  They are organized by number, so know where yours is (you will see this when you drop it off) so you can more quickly find it if the volunteers are swamped.

-          Make sure your hat is not covering too much of your face in your finisher photo!

-          Photos:  ASI tested selling photos on a flash drive at IMLP this year instead of selling prints and I was hoping they would do this at IMFL.  However, at IMFL they were only selling prints.  I wanted the digital images and did not want to pay twice, so I purchased one photo at the race to get the mat and I plan to download all of the others for $140.  I would have been mad had I purchased the prints and then realized afterwards that I could purchase all of the digital online afterwards.  Finding yourself in the swimming photos is like Where’s Waldo!

Feel free to add to this list.  I hope it helps someone!

2009-11-18 6:20 PM
in reply to: #2520742

User image

Regular
Lemont,
Subject: RE: My advice for 1st time IMers
Thanks for sharing!  Words of wisdom from a recent finisher is always so insightful.

Congrats on your race!
2009-11-18 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Congrats on finishing, you did awesome. I hope to someday do and IM and alot of this advice will come in handy
2009-11-18 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Thank you so much for posting this.  IMAZ this coming Sunday will be my first IM, and reading your post gives me an even better idea for what to expect in detail, especially little things that tend to stress me out, such as how transition and special needs work.  Great information, tips, and reminders, and they help to put my mind a little more at ease - thanks again!

2009-11-18 7:20 PM

User image

Master
NJ

Great post!! One more....ENJOY YOUR DAY!!!!!!! You put in the time, now it's your time to shine! Don't worry about what you can't control - weather, wind, currents, chop, etc...one step at a time will get you where you want to be.

2009-11-18 7:29 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Congrats on your finish ironman!

But to counter your post - each race is different, so the experiences are different.  FL was my first.  LP was my next.  They were both very different in almost all aspects of the race (special needs, spectators, start, finish).  Even the overall feel was remarkably different.

Edited by Daremo 2009-11-18 7:30 PM

2009-11-18 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
More than anything... HAVE FUN. This is our hobby. For God's sake... this is WHAT WE DO FOR FUN! So, go out there, and make the best of whatever situation is handed to you... and have a good old time.

If you have friends/family near the finish line... ask them to shoot a shortish video of you coming down the finishing chute. I got extremely lucky and had TWO different friends shooting a video of my finish! Amazing. A great souvenir to have. Better than... almost anything, I think.

Any IM finish is a good IM finish. So soak it all up. Take it all in. You only do your first IM once. Laughing

Video #1

Video #2

Both videos are completely amateur and sorta grainy, but they are priceless to me!
2009-11-18 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2520945

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Whizzzzz - 2009-11-18 9:03 PM More than anything... HAVE FUN. This is our hobby. For God's sake... this is WHAT WE DO FOR FUN! So, go out there, and make the best of whatever situation is handed to you... and have a good old time.

If you have friends/family near the finish line... ask them to shoot a shortish video of you coming down the finishing chute. I got extremely lucky and had TWO different friends shooting a video of my finish! Amazing. A great souvenir to have. Better than... almost anything, I think.

Any IM finish is a good IM finish. So soak it all up. Take it all in. You only do your first IM once. Laughing

Video #1

Video #2

Both videos are completely amateur and sorta grainy, but they are priceless to me!

I'm glad my brother filmed your finish and not mine I have a better quality for you, I had to film that off my TV with my camera so I could get it to you on YouTube!
2009-11-18 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2520950

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
LazyMarathoner - 2009-11-18 8:09 PM
Whizzzzz - 2009-11-18 9:03 PM More than anything... HAVE FUN. This is our hobby. For God's sake... this is WHAT WE DO FOR FUN! So, go out there, and make the best of whatever situation is handed to you... and have a good old time.

Video #1

Video #2

I'm glad my brother filmed your finish and not mine I have a better quality for you, I had to film that off my TV with my camera so I could get it to you on YouTube!

Your brother didn't get your finish??? How did he miss that? You have the video off the live feed, though, don't you?

Edited to Add: I don't mind the quality at all. It's fabulous. It's waaaaaaaay more than I ever thought I'd have. And I'm thrilled and grateful all the same! Laughing Thanks.

Edited by Whizzzzz 2009-11-18 8:12 PM
2009-11-18 8:19 PM
in reply to: #2520955

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Whizzzzz - 2009-11-18 9:10 PM
LazyMarathoner - 2009-11-18 8:09 PM

Video #1

Video #2

Your brother didn't get your finish??? How did he miss that? You have the video off the live feed, though, don't you?

Edited to Add: I don't mind the quality at all. It's fabulous. It's waaaaaaaay more than I ever thought I'd have. And I'm thrilled and grateful all the same! Laughing Thanks.

He must have gotten tired of holding the video camera while waiting for me since it took me so long I have the live feed video, bad quality but priceless to me: http://thelazymarathoner.blogspot.com/2009/09/incredible-journey.html

2009-11-18 8:23 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
The biggest piece of advice I can give is to not get so caught up in your performance and goals that you forget to experience the day. If you're aiming for a KQ that's one thing, but if you're just trying to finish or hit a general time goal, don't be afraid to stop and hug a friend or family member, walk through an aid station and talk to the volunteers and other athletes or look around and absorb the incredible energy all around you. I did my IM with a serious injury and was force to slow it way down. In the end, it was a gift. I'm sure I would have missed so much of the experience had I been 100% healthy because I would have been way too focused.

2009-11-18 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2520905

User image

Extreme Veteran
Daremo - 2009-11-18 7:29 PM Congrats on your finish ironman!

But to counter your post - each race is different, so the experiences are different.  FL was my first.  LP was my next.  They were both very different in almost all aspects of the race (special needs, spectators, start, finish).  Even the overall feel was remarkably different.

I agree, hence my warning statements . I figure that a lot of the same items apply to most courses and the ones that may be different will at least give people an idea of what questions they may need to ask or items they may need to think about.

I agree with the above statements about having fun and enjoying the day.  That was definitely my mantra all day long.  Many of the items above were more detailed items that I never thought about and would have made a difference to my experience.
2009-11-18 10:14 PM

User image

Pro
Burbs
Great advice thanks !

I'll be sure to bring my family to transition on Friday or Saturday so we can plan where - exactly- they will be. Definitely something I didn't think of (I did give them the where-I-think-I'll-be-when sheet, but I wasn't thinking about exact locations!)

2009-11-19 12:14 AM

Thx a lot. I observed HIM in Gerardmer, France and I think that,  despite my proper observations and forum comments, I will have more problems on the transition points than I suppose. I was watching people runningand doing everything in a perfect way. I will let you know after my first tri.
2009-11-19 6:18 AM

User image

Champion
MA
To add to your idea:

Know where special needs is on the course and if you should get your bags back or not. It's marked on the map and in the athletes guide. Driving the run and bike course helps you be more familiar if you have time before the race.

Figure out the finish line area and have a plan where to meet your family when you finish as crossing where the athletes are running is challenging...often races change finish area year to year so don't assume it will be the same. I've been to 3 IMFLs and finish line area different for each. An idea is to borrow a cell phone to call them if you can't find them.

Back up nutrition plan is great idea...first IM I trained with main plan and two back up plans of things that were on the course just in case

Adapt and adjust is  key as things often go differently than you expect. Asking questions the day before race while in transition helps you figure out how the flow of movement will be.

IM store has changed in that it has cut the amount of inventory it sells in effort to sell it all out instead of having stuff left over. If you want it get it as often things are sold out if it is a popular item.

Congrats you did great!

2009-11-19 9:28 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
This is awesome - thank you!

2009-11-19 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Michigan/Florida
very cool, insightful. Thank you. I can only imagine the post race "depression" When you train so hard, for so long.. and then... it's done....

Now what? ;-)
2009-11-19 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Priceless insights. thanks much for sharing.
2009-11-19 2:38 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Close all of your bags tightly (tie them) so items do not fall out.

Great tidbits.  I'd like to comment on this one.  Please do NOT double knot your bags!  Your transition volunteers will thank you. 

Seriously...one tie is enough or if you are that worried use a chip clip or clothespin (one of the better ideas I spotted as a worker in the IMFL womens change tent).  But if you knot it you'll likely only have one option to open your bag...rip it.  And then you have no way to close it again and things are likely to get lost.  At IMFL we were transferring stuff from the ripped bags into new bags but that then relies on the volunteers to label them correctly or tie your old bag AND not drop anything in the process.

So, ONE tie or a bow or add a chip clip.  But please no double knots!
2009-11-19 3:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia Beach
had the same prob with the rain peeling my IM magnet. I superglued the IM part back to the magnet and it holds up good now =)
2009-11-19 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Great advice and insight:

http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/the-endurance-nation-four-keys-to-ironman-execution

Best advice from the article:

Don't eat the paste. Ironman in general, but especially the bike leg, is at best a special ed class: you only have to show up with your C game to be at the head of the class. If you find yourself doing the opposite of everyone else, you're doing the right thing. If Jimmy and everyone else is in the corner eating the paste, don't join them! Sit down, do what we're telling you, and don't eat the paste! Lots of people passing you in the first 40 miles? That's good, don't eat the paste. Going backwards through the field on a hill? That's good, don't eat the paste.

2009-11-20 11:00 PM
in reply to: #2520971

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

LazyMarathoner - 2009-11-18 8:23 PM The biggest piece of advice I can give is to not get so caught up in your performance and goals that you forget to experience the day. If you're aiming for a KQ that's one thing, but if you're just trying to finish or hit a general time goal, don't be afraid to stop and hug a friend or family member, walk through an aid station and talk to the volunteers and other athletes or look around and absorb the incredible energy all around you. I did my IM with a serious injury and was force to slow it way down. In the end, it was a gift. I'm sure I would have missed so much of the experience had I been 100% healthy because I would have been way too focused.

I can probably vouch for that last line of yours, K - You were quite focused.  I think you had a better emotional race due to your injury.  Donchathink?

2009-11-21 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

Very nice list Annie. 

I have only three additional tidbits...  Both learned here or through BT contacts.

About 5 minutes after you finish your IM you will start to shiver.  It's normal.

I get cold easy and at IMFL in 08 the mornings were quite chilly.   I kept my wetsuit on till the changing tent and stripped it myself.  I stayed warmer that way.

Before the race I went to Wally-World and bought two $7.00 sweatshirts.  One for over my wetsuit while waiting for the start, and one to go in my Run Special Needs bag, just in case it was cooler than I anticipated.   For seven bucks each I considered these disposable.  I did end up getting both back though.

thanks again Annie, and Congratulations Iron Man!

2009-11-22 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2525074

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Thanks, I'll keep these in mind.  However if I can forget my work ID every Monday odds are I'll do something wrong :P
2009-11-23 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
CenTex

Great advice!  Thanks for the helpful info!  Transitions are my biggest concern as I cannot train for the potential chaos of it.  I can prepare physically and mentally but I can't get 60 friends to come out of the water within 1 minute of each other and overwhelm another group of friends acting as volunteers so that I can simulate the event.  This type of info is great for us 1st-timers!

IM LOU 2010, here I come!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My advice for 1st time IMers Rss Feed  

of 2