General Discussion Race Reports! » Tumbleweed Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tumbleweed Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log
Odessa, TX
United States
Odessa YMCA (Spearheaded by our own Joe Moya!)
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 43s
Overall Rank = 21/57
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

***DISCLAIMER**** A few of the boys have requested I add a disclaimer to this RR...if you are a boy, read at your own risk!

Woke up at 3am. UGH. Four hours of sleep. And body decides 3am would be a LOVELY time to start my period. Stupid body. It thinks things like that are funny. Fed the dogs and put them in the yard. Took a shower. Hopped in car and on the road by 3:35am. It's a 2.5 hour drive. I eat a wheat bagel with PB and a mountain dew. Didn't really WANT the mountain dew, but NEEDED it. Interesting things of note: There are a lot of creepy people wandering around outside at 3:30 in the morning. WHY are all these people and cars on the road? 3:30AM is for SLEEPING!. Also, Texas looks a lot better in the dark (you can't see it). About 4:20 in the morning I passed the 'Vasectomy Reversal' sign. Ah yes...I remember that one. 5:53 brings the 'Petroleum Museum'. I contemplate stopping on the way back but quickly realize my very tired brain is playing tricks on me. FINALLY arrive at race venu a bit after 6 am. Run right into Tom (zia_cyclist). We set up our transition areas, pick up our packets, and start standing around...
Event warmup:

I did a little stretching while we were waiting for our wave to start. When it was time for our wave, I had a swimming straggler in my lane so everyone else got to warm up except for me and the guy I was sharing a lane with...we had to wait for the straggler to get out and thus did not get to warm up :(
Swim
  • 08m 41s
  • 490 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

So, a bunch of us are standing around watching the first three waves of swimmers. I cannot believe how many people cannot swim in a straight line with a BIG BLUE LINE right underneath them in the pool. About 4 near head-on collisions were making me very nervous for my wave. I REALLY hope my lane partner can hold a straight line! Jump in. Wait for the go, and we're off! Yay! My swim buddy can swim straight...yay! I chase him for about the first 250 or so then finally pass him. I was pushing kind of hard, but I felt like my legs were not kicking enough. They were not being as much help as I know they can be. Couldn't tell if the outfit was dragging, but it might have been. If I got a last lap signal (they were supposed to drop a kickboard in), I missed it. So on what I thought was my last lap, I checked my watch underwater, verified that my pace seemed right, and then at the end I double checked asking my lap counter. She said it was the last lap. Woohoo! Otherwise, uneventful. My time includes the time it took me to get OUT of the pool. It's a tall bulkhead...it took several seconds. I would bet that my actually 490m time was about 8:35. FWIW :)
What would you do differently?:

Warmup if possible. Try to engage the kick a little better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

LOUSY T1. Got to the bike okay, but it seemed to take FOREVER to get my shoes on. Then once I got across the mount line I couldn't get my feet in the clips.

Get my feet in the clips like I know I can!
Bike
  • 43m 30s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

As you see above...an out and back. I hate pounding into the wind. First two miles I had the weirdest problem. For the first time ever (close your eyes if you think this is TMI) I was actually having uncomfortable tampon issues. Seriously. I was more uncomfortable on my seat than I have ever been. I shifted around a bunch and finally seemed to get rid of them. But then the cramps came. UGH UGH UGH. I KNEW I should have taken advil before the start. WHY do I have to be a girl???? Did a steady spin into the wind. Tom passed me maybe 4 miles in. He's too good at biking :) I stood up for the one 'hill' (read: overpass). I figured...it's the only one, I might as well hammer it! Very happy when I finally got to turn around and put the wind at my back. I even got to go into my big gear (the one on front) which NEVER happens! Heehee! I was excited. I even passed two people (got passed by 3). But I don't usually pass folks on the bike. Other than nasty cramps the whole way, the bike was....unremarkable.

Take advil so I don't have cramps.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I forgot to hit my watch as I came into T2. The guy next to me has helter-skeltered his bike so I had a really hard time racking mine. I finally remembered to hit my watch after the racking disaster. I think the time is about right...I took 22 seconds from my bike time and put it in my T2 time...sue me :)

Have more patience racking the bike. Instead of trying to force my bike in, I should have taken the 10 seconds to fix his bike first...might have been faster.
Run
  • 27m 7s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

HOT HOT HOT! Ugh. It was definitely getting hot by now. And because we were the last wave, there was NO ONE out on the course. I never got lost, but was always scared I would be :) One girl passed me about a half mile from the finish. She must have turned on the gas because she was WAY back from me about 2-3 minutes before that. It was 86 (feel like 90) by the end of the race...yuck. 60ish% humidity!

Nothing really....I wasn't feeling speedy today I guess (see aforementioned evil things my body did to me).
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around with Tom for a bit (he beat me by 3ish minutes). Realized that if I didn't get some advil in me NOW I was going to keel over. Took a shower and waited around for the awards (after some well-deserved advil). After the awards, Tom and I went to lunch with Joe Moya (Joe M) and his wife Sharon. Then I drove back to Abilene. Of note...I was correct, Texas is much uglier when the sun is up (since it was obviously up for the return drive).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No doubt...never aim for a good race when you have your period. And if you do have your period, take advil before you race.

Event comments:

Joe Moya put a TON of work into making this a success. Thanks, Joe! I am glad I came out despite what my race report sounds like. I just wish I had felt better today :)

Awesome race...small, but well done. I-20 through Odessa was the place to speed today because I think every cop in town was on the course making sure no cars hit us at intersections :)

I'm glad I went! Great brick workout for next week's HIM! Great to meet up with other BT'ers. My first sprint...my first pool swim, my first non-wetsuit swim...lots of firsts! More experience is always good!

And I got HARDWARE! A very lovely medal for being second in my age group :) I've never placed in my age group before :) I guess the key is REALLY SMALL TRI'S, eh?

Last updated: 2005-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:41 | 490 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 4/57
Performance: Good
Yes...it's a strange distance. Upon inquiring of the fabulous race direction, we found out that the Y had placed the bulkhead in a REALLY weird place...the pool itself is 500m and the bulkhead is USUALLY placed far enough from the wall to make the pool 500yds. However, the bulkhead was right up against the wall and thus the length of the pool was only reduced by the width of the bulkhead PLUS about 6 inches of water. To me it looked to be about a meter in length. Joe might update the exact distance for us later. But 490m is pretty darn accurate.
Suit:
Course: 49meter pool...you shared a lane with one other person. I got matched up with someone swimming almost exactly my speed. But I beat him by a few seconds :)
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:43:30 | 12.43 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 30/57
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Out: Into the headwind (12-14mph?) and slightly uphill Back: Reverse the out part above :)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:07 | 03.1 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 25/57
Performance: Average
No mile markers :(
Course: Strange loop. I had a hard time navigating.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-19 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: Tumbleweed Triathlon

2005-06-19 5:58 PM
in reply to: #178196

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tumbleweed Triathlon
Good job! Being a guy, I am NOT going to comment on the various "issues"... but sounds like it was a good prep for the next few weeks!
2005-06-19 6:10 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job Jen...Comgrats on second place.  One word Depoprovera....never get your period.  Makes training much nicer.  Take care -SMO
2005-06-19 6:39 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I read this report, cause I really liked the name of the race.  I hear ya on the yuckiness of being a girl sometimes.

And, you have learned the secret of getting medals.  Just choose a small enough race!

And, a word of caution about Depoprovera, I was on this for a year and the no period thing is true which was great, but the it-is-a-side-effect-for-some-people-but-we-don't-really-warn-you that it can cause major weight gain, happened to me, 50 pounds in one year (actually mostly in the last 6 months)   SO NOT WORTH IT!!  I'll take the cramps thank you.

2005-06-19 7:11 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great race and great race report.  It was fun seeing you again and going to lunch with you and Joe and Sharon.

On a funny note: when we were walking back to the car you said something about cramps and I mouthed off about "I had a cramp once in the pool in my calf....dehydration...blah, blah, blah".  I feel kind of silly now...you were talking about those kind of cramps.  I'm a guy and I didn't realize what you were talking about. 

TJ

2005-06-19 7:19 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2005-06-19 7:26 PM

Expert
Montreal
Congrats - great race report.
2005-06-19 8:06 PM
in reply to: #178244

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
LMAO!   I kinda figured that
2005-06-19 9:13 PM

Master
Plant City, FL

Great race Jen!! Sorry to hear about the girly issues...  

Way to "adjust" and have an awesome race anyway!!

2005-06-19 9:54 PM

Regular
Baton Rouge
Nice job! And, uh . . . never mind!

Way to perservere? (s/p)

Chris
2005-06-20 1:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
las vegas
congrats on your second place finish!!  great race despite your body's revolt against you!

2005-06-20 8:07 AM

Pro
MA

Hi Jen,

Congrats on your 2nd place.  I hear your pain.  I'm hoping that I won't have "cramps" when I do my Danskin.  It's really close....  Last year, when my friend did Danskin, she was having a very hard time racing, despite all the training she did.  Cramps every where and nausous.  Then found out she was pregnant the next day!

2005-06-20 3:02 PM

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Nice race Jen!  Way to come up with some hardware despite the issues.   Sounds like you took a really smart approach to this one.  Your swim was damn good.  Nice to pass some people in the pool.   Great job
2005-06-20 3:09 PM

Expert
Littleton, CO

Hmmm  just thought you'd stop by and pick up a little hardware on your way to BSL, huh?   Great job!  That's gotta feel good going in to a tough race! (I'm just speculating here!

Look forward to meeting up with you!

2005-06-20 3:16 PM

Last year, my races and my period ALWAYS occurred together...but I never came in 2nd (or anywhere more than FOBOP). 

Congrats on another great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tumbleweed Triathlon Rss Feed