General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria International Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Victoria International Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log
Victoria, BC
Canada
22C / 72F
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 19m 11s
Overall Rank = 138/214
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 16/25
Pre-race routine:

Had a carbo load dinner on Friday night at Joyce's place. Had 2 kinds of pasta, salmon, salad, pie, wine, beer and much much more food. There was so much food I can't even remember it all and I didn't even eat the chicken or the lasagne.

Arrived in Victoria via ferry on Saturday and got my bike checked and attended the prerace meeting. After the prerace meeting drove with Kelli and Andrew around the bike course. There was a short, but strong rain storm, but the weather looked promising for race day. Had a chicken burrito at the pub for lunch. For dinner had mussels for an appetizer at a restaurant, then came back to the hotel room and had a peanut butter and banana sandwich on a cinnamon raisin bagel.

I felt fairly relaxed though a bit nervous. Because of my checklists and my pre-race planning I was not feeling stressed. I hydrated well all week. I was in bed by 9:15pm, but even though I was tired I couldn't fall asleep right away which is unusual for me. Woke up for the event at 5:00am and felt well rested despite waking up a few times during the night. I was sharing a room with Kelli and it was possibly not early enough to wake up, but luckily two friends of mine, Heather and Krista, were there to cheer me on and they packed up the room and checked out of the hotel while I was racing.

Had one bowl of Vector cereal with skim milk for breakfast and a small bowl of pasta salad (white and whole wheat pasta, cucumbers, ground turkey, other veggies, lots of salt). Also had a half of a cup of coffee with milk and some hot chocolate mixed in. I can't get coffee down otherwise.

For the most part, everything went smoothly in the morning and it was sunny and warm at race start. Found a descent spot in transistion and I got body marked by Lori Bowden. How cool is that. My friend Krista took a picture, so I will post it as soon as I get it from her.

The overall ranks out of 214 are just for females since male and female results are reported separately.
Event warmup:

Well I tried to hit the loo, hoping the coffee might do its trick, but wasn't able to hit the loo. It was too busy and I was too close to race start. After waiting in line and getting into a stall without toilet paper, I left and got in the water, 4 minutes before race start. I did a bit of breaststroke to warm up and get used to the water. But that's it for my warm up. Luckily I didn't have to go to the bathroom for the entire duration of the race.
Swim
  • 39m 28s
  • 2000 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim started with the women wading in the water. The men under 40 started in a wave 10 minutes ahead of us, men 40+ would start 10 minutes after us and relays another 10 minutes after that. Water temp was warm. I heard that it is because the lake is very shallow.

I had a few friends so stood near them, but they were at the back and I wanted to be up a bit closer since I am a faster swimmer than them, so I tried to make my way to the front. When the horn went off I started swimming immediately.

I started out in the pack, but got kicked and hit a bit, not on purpose and I think I did some hitting too. Someone was right on my heel. I sort of drifted to the left (outside of pack) a bit and it was nice because there was some open water. I spent the rest of the swim to the left of the pack and it was very relaxing as I just had my own space.

Going out was pretty good. I was just to the left of the pack and doing my own thing. I rounded the bouy to turn and I did that well. I told myself to ease up a bit because even though I was feeling fine I did not want to feel tired after the swim and I have felt a bit disorientated and dizzy after getting out of the water from swim races. So I slowed down a bit on the return and someone I drifted really far left, so I was out by myself the whole time. Yikes. No big deal I thought since you just have to make sure you stay on the left of the bouys and you can get out on shore anywhere as long as you are to the left of the bouys. So I kept swimming in a straight line but tried to angle it back to the right a bit. It worked and it was actually kind of nice because I didn't have to sight forward I just kept the main pack in my sight everytime I took a breath to the right.

When I tried to get out at the shore, I got stuck behind the roped off swimming area. It was right in my way. So I had to swim about 25m around that, then head into shore. Not too good there. When I got out of the water I felt completely fine. In fact I felt like I hadn't done anything at all. It was the perfect pace.

I rated this swim average because I wasn't as fast as I had hoped. I wanted to be around 36 min, but I wasn't too far off and I really felt great afterwards. If I was just rating the water and conditions, I would have rated this swim as Good. Water was warm and there was little to no current or waves that I could feel.
What would you do differently?:

I learned that there is a lot of clear water to the left (outside) of the pack, but I wish I would have been able to draft. I guess there are two strategies that could be taken:
1) Stay to the outside of the pack and do your own swim.
2) Get a draft.
I did 1) and it worked well, but I stayed too far outside on the return leg. 2) would be a good strategy but is more difficult to execute. I guess I'll have to see what happens on race day but I'm glad that I have both strategies in my arsenal.

Work on swimming straight. My sighting is fine, but I wish I could just swim straight in the first place.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

Rank = 197/214 AG Rank = 16/25
I unzipped my wetsuit while running into the transistion area. I located my bike fairly quickly by finding my towel on the ground. With my luck the girl right next to me was in transistion at the same time so it was a bit squishy.

I wasn't planning on wearing a shirt over my bathing suit top or gloves, but I saw a bad bike crash on Thursday night and I thought that I should protect myself so I threw a tri jersey on and my cycling gloves.

I didn't feel at all tired after the swim and was able to get going without a problem. I was able to get up to speed quite well and my friends who were watching said I looked strong and a lot of other people either looked like they were going to fall off their bike, or they did fall off their bike, so I guess slowing down a bit in the swim worked for me.

The jersey went on very easily, but in hindsight I should have worn it under my wetsuit. I probably didn't need to put a banana in the back of my jersey as I didn't eat it, but I guess it's better to have too much food rather than not enough. Especially since I didn't lose this race in the transistion.

I sat down on my towl to pull my wetsuit off, but it came off really easily do to all of the Body Glide that I lathered myself up with. While sitting I put on my socks and my shoes.

Maybe I could also try practicing clipping in while on the bike, but I had no problem getting up to speed on my bike.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 26s
  • 92 kms
  • 28.24 km/hr
Comments:

The first two loops of the course were fairly quiet as far as traffic went and there was not a lot of wind. However the wind really picked up for the third loop and traffic was heavier too. Cars were on the course but were considerate. Even though the headwind was strong, it wasn't as strong as the day that I practiced the course. I easied up a bit on the third loop in preparation for the run.

My turns were okay, but for the really sharp turn at the very beginning I crossed the centre line a bit, though I don't think anyone saw. My cornering was good. I was able to maintain a lot of speed around the corners. For the most part I was in the right gear, but when I shifted from the big ring to the centre ring it didn't quite shift right, so I pushed the leaver again and I dropped the chain. I shifted up and slowly pedals and the chain came back on.

I felt very strong on the bike as I passed alot of people. The people who passed me were men or relays and they had a disc wheel in the rear and some had TT helmets. They made me feel like I was barely moving, but I don't mind them passing me. I didn't expect to compete with them.

The few people that passed me, I went back and forth with and a group of about 15-20 of us came in around the same time or all within sight of each other.

Like I said I felt pretty good on the bike. After the swim, T1 and the cycle, I had 3:57:59. Exactly where I wanted to be. That was 89/214 place and 12/25 in my age group and the 7-15th places in my age group were all within 5 minutes of each other at this point. 7th was about 2.5min ahead of me and 15 was about 2.5 minutes behind. At this point I was having a fantastic race.

Ohh, the bad thing about the cycle was that we had to put a number on our bikes. This is the first time I've done this. My frame is very small, there's no way that a number would fit between the top tube and the down tube so I wasn't sure where to put it. I had a pack under my seat with tire levers and tubes, so I couldn't put the number behind the seat. My pump was attached to my top tube and is almost the length of my frame, so that was out as a place to attach the number. I ended up putting the number on my seat tube, but they only gave us two twist ties and I could have used three. My number started moving around right out of transistion and bugged me for the first loop. It moved around so much and I try to scrunch it up or flip it back, but couldn't get it to say and it either rubbed on my leg or my tire. Some women commented that I was going to get chaffed. After the first lap I ripped the number off. I would have taken the 4 minute penalty or whatever had an official said something. At that point I was so fed up with it. But I didn't have anyone comment and I noticed that some other people had removed the number from their bikes too.

I would try to eat more. I would also open the wrapper of my Clif Bar beforehand and test out the Clif Bar flavour as it was very dry. I wish I brought a Peanut Butter Clif Bar.

I should have strapped my aero bottle down with elastics or something. It was bumping around on the rough roads and was noisy. I should pay more attention to what I am going to eat on the ride and try packing it a bit better. Luckily I have no problem going in and out of my jersey pockets or bento box while on the bike, but overall not having a good strategy probably wasted previous seconds to minutes. So I just got to get that in order.

Find some way to affix my number to my bike so it won't move. Bring my own twist ties or zap straps to the race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 9s
Comments:

Rank=110/214 AG Rank=16/25. T2 was okay, but when I pulled in there wasn't enough room to rack my bike. I had to move the bike across the rack over a bit, then I could rack my bike, but only got one break hooked on and then rest of the bike was kind of leaning against the joint in the rack. It felt pretty solid.

Was able to take my stuff off and put on my shoes quickly enough I thought. I had some sips of gatorade and then put the bottle in my special needs bag and carried my special needs bag to the table. I took my banana out of my jersey. My special needs bag had bananas, a bar, a bottle of gatorade and aspirin.

I ranked this transition as below average because I was slow to rack my bike due to the fact that it wouldn't fit in it's original spot without me moving another bike.

I felt pretty good in T2 and I was ready to give er on the run.

Make sure I take up enough room at the beginning so that I am left enough room to rack my bike.

Again I should have figured out exactly what I would eat on the bike as I didn't need my banana and I had to spend time putting it in my jersey and removing it. I shouldn't have stopped to drink gatorade, but rather I should have ran with the bottle to the special needs table and drank at the same time.

I should work on getting on and off of my bike more quickly as it could have saved seconds.
Run
  • 2h 19m 4s
  • 20 kms
  • 06m 57s  min/km
Comments:

The air temperature felt very warm by the time I came to the run. The run was on trails though so it was very shady and I was able to keep cool no problem.

I am simply not a strong runner, though I was getting better times in some of my training runs. My legs felt fine after the transistion. Maybe not 100%, but pretty good. I did start a bit slow then was running and lots of people were passing me and I wasn't passing many. There were a few roots and rocks on the trail, but it was a really nice run. Just went I was getting into a grove and feeling stronger... I fell. I got Road (trail) rash on the left hand and a bleeding and scraped up right knee and leg. It kind of hurt, but when I got back up, I started hyperventillating. I guess it's just a shock to your body exercising a way then very suddenly stopping. So I walked for about 10 minutes or so, just trying to get my breathing under control. I tripped at about 6.5km and walked until about 8km. Then I tried to get a bandaid from an aid station, but no one had one. I was able to continue running after 8km and who knows if it held me back or not. I'm happy to say that I ran most of the run expect the walk after the fall and I did walk through all of the aid stations and drank a cup of water. I also poured the rest of the water on my head in the aid station.

By the last 2-3km I was feeling pretty tired and my legs barely felt like they were moving but that was to be expected.

Suck it up and get my legs moving faster. I know that I am a faster runner than what I did during this race. I shouldn't stop at every single aid station as I had no problem keeping cool and I run all the time without any water. I was a very hot day though and I wasn't sure that I drank enough on the bike so I was a bit worried. Alot of the aid stations had garbage bins far enough away so that I could drink and run and then throw my cup in the garbage but some aid stations, I actually had to stop moving at to get my cup in the garbage. So less stopping is necessary for me.

Oh yeah, I guess I should be more on the lookout for roots. I think I handled the fall quite well though.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching. Mostly leg stretching, calves and quads. Dinner/lunch at the pub and a pint of Carlsberg. I definitely earned that one. A late night all-you-can eat sushi dinner as well. Even after eating two dinners (I weighed myself after that) I still lost 6lbs, so I'm estimating I lost 7lbs during the race. Could be more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run. I need to see all the things that I said I would do differently, but I was pretty disappointed with my run. I was happy because I beat my 3 close friends, though I only beat one of them by 1.5 minutes. Her run was 21 minutes faster than mine and I usually run at the same pace as her. So even though I held her off I was still disappointed knowing that I could have gotten a much better time. Oh well, could have, would have... blah blah blah. Next time. ;)

Event comments:

What can I say. This was an awesome race and I recommend it to anyone who wanted to do it next year. I was lucky because the weather was awesome. It was warm, but wasn't too hot. I think being in the shade on the run is very good. There were lots of volunteers and water stations and everything ran smoothly. There was a special needs station available. Everything you could want in a race, this one had. Pros, Ironman Canada qualifying spots, National Long Course Championship qualifying spots for 2005 and 2006, plenty of water, gatorade, gels and bars at aid stations, finishing medals, cool hoodies, good weather, one of the warmest lakes in BC at least at this time of year. Everything!

Last updated: 2005-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:28 | 2000 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/25
Overall: 117/214
Performance: Average
Suit: Farmer John Full Length Wetsuit
Course: The course was kind of a deformed rectangle or three sides of a rectangle. It was out south, then west, then north back to the shore. The entrance and exit are smooth sand.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:15:26 | 92 kms | 28.24 km/hr
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 81/214
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The course was out, then 3 loops around Sanich, then back. There was one aid station on the course, but you passed it three times. The whole course was quite hilly. Here's a description from someone who's done it many times (available at: http://magthree.com/Thoughts/CourseRev_New_Balance_Half_Iron.html). This is a deceptively difficult bike course. You MUST know how to efficiently ride rolling hills... keeping your momentum and leveraging it to help you up the backside of the rollers. If you don't possess this skill, you stand to lose a ton of time and energy. As has been said, this course won't let you get into a rhythm. Instead, your success here will be based on how quickly and efficiently you can switch between the various skills required to attack this course. You will shift often... in fact, this wouldn't be a bad course to ride a standard road bar w/ STI shifters and clip on aero bars. You will want to practice your cornering skills so you can carry as much momentum out of each turn as possible. Just when you come to the one section that is relatively flat and straight, you will generally hit a headwind! There is nothing for free on this course. Note: Because you are constantly shifting modes/gears/positions is can be very easy to forget to eat. You've got to have a strategy here and stick to it, or you will be feeling the bonk in the run. The last 5Km inbound are pretty challenging with rolling hills that just suck away your momentum. At this point you are going to be tired, and you will be wanting to get off your bike as well as looking strong as you come in so the temptation will be to hammer this. BIG mistake. Keep is steady and even. I've placed top 10 overall in this race and I'm almost always passed by people in this section who later die on the run. Use this final 5km instead to eat, drink and spin your legs out. Okay that is a pretty good description. I think it is a tough course. When the course changed to this one in 2001, the fastest bike time for the women went up 11 minutes and the fastest bike time for the men went up 17 minutes. The road is a variety of pavement, some smooth, some rough and a few potholes on West Sanich road, though the bad ones were marked with cones.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:19:04 | 20 kms | 06m 57s  min/km
Age Group: 22/25
Overall: 180/214
Performance: Below average
Even after eating 2 dinners last night, I lost 6lbs from the beginning of the race to the end.
Course: The run at this race is fast fast fast!! It's a 2 loop (counter clockwise) run around Elk Lake. The run is done predominantly a gravel path around the lake which are open to the general public, so it's not unusual to have folks out walking their dog, etc. While this makes for a bit more congestion, it also ensures that your never alone, and I've found that these folks generally cheer you on which is cool! It's close to the flattest course you will ever run, and is almost completely shaded (there are 2 sections where you come out into the sun, and you will definitely feel the difference when you do! When you come out into the sun the run is on an asphalt path. There is a bit of an uphill between 3-4km and you get a downhill around 6km. The up and downhill are slight. There are 6 aid stations on the course and they are fairly evenly spaced though not exactly equidistant from one another. Because you do the loop twice you will pass 12 aid stations, so approximately 1 every 1.5km. The aid stations have water, gatorade, gels and bars.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %5.4
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-06-21 3:54 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: Victoria International Half Ironman
Finally my race report. It's long. Sorry, but I wanted to make sure that I learned from this race. Learn from every one right? :)

Thanks everyone that inspired me along the way. I can honestly say if I didn't find this site, I never would have done this half IM.

Jen

Edited by jeng 2005-06-21 3:56 PM

2005-06-21 4:31 PM
in reply to: #180199

User image

Kodiak, Alaska
Subject: RE: Victoria International Half Ironman
OMGoddess! You are AMAZING! CONGRATULATIONS!
2005-06-21 5:02 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
I can't believe I actually thought of more, but I need to adjust my running belt size before the race. Arghhh.

I met Carolyn (cbass) at the race and she hung the finisher's medal around my neck. She also told me that she heard Lori Bowden say, "Wow," when I came in. Cool.

Jen thanks for encouraging me along the way.

Jen
2005-06-21 5:02 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
CONGRATULATIONS!  I am so proud of you!  You are amazing. 
2005-06-21 5:18 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Wow, you did fantastic! A really solid race! I understand the dissapointment at the end. I do the same thing - start second-guessing myself, wishing I had pushed harder. But you did it, and you did it well, so congrats.
Jessica
2005-06-21 5:19 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey thanks Allyson and Jessica.

Jessica, I guess the second guessing is normal. It's difficult not to do it though.

Jen

2005-06-21 6:00 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Terrific race report, Jen!  I'm sucking all this info up like a sponge to learn from your experience, so thank you for writing such a detailed report! 

Congrats on an excellent 1/2 IM! You did great!  You handled everything that course threw at you quite well, including the fall.  The fall on the run sounds like it sucked, but you got through it like a champ!

And good luck in your remaining crits! 

2005-06-21 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
We seem to inspire some of the same people, so I had to come read your race report.  Wow!  Great job!  You really managed the race well - keeping your pace where you were comfortable.  Thanks for the details.  I'll be thinking of your race as I prep for mine this weekend.  Great report, too!   Hope you loosen up quickly
2005-06-21 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
AWESOME race!  That's a great time for a HIM!  With a hilly bike course too!  Great job!
2005-06-21 8:42 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
You did an awesome job great splits all the way round and you write a great race report.

A tip on the bike number, I bring tape, scissors, and a stapler to make sure I can put on the number in a way not to interfere with my riding.

Congrats on a great race!

ken
2005-06-21 11:37 PM

User image

New user

St. Albert, Alberta
great race report Jen, and great race!

2005-06-22 12:22 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-06-22 11:29 AM
in reply to: #180562

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey Leah,

Krista took a lot of photos so I'll pass them on when I get them. But I'll just show you my leg and hand rather than the photos. The cuts and scrapes are taking awhile to heal, so I'm sure they'll still be there when I see you next.

Jen
2005-06-22 11:30 AM
in reply to: #180544

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Fun race eh Trevor? You did awesome.

Jen
2005-06-22 11:32 AM

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey thanks for the inspiration along the way Elaine & Jen. It's been great reading you logs and getting some ideas for my own workouts.

Oh thanks for checking up Brett & Ken. I really appreciate the tip Ken and I'll add those things to my race preparation checklist.

Jen
2005-06-22 6:02 PM

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
I'm so happy to read your race report. I hope you are still on cloud nine! You did so awesome!

2005-06-22 6:34 PM
in reply to: #181268

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hey Carolyn,
It was so great to meet you there. Thanks for the finishing pic. I'm disappointed that I didn't get someone to take one of us together.

Jen
2005-06-23 7:42 AM

Master
Chilliwack, BC
Hey great report Jen.

That must have been something to fall and get back up, reminds me of a movie about an olympian, can't remember the name though.
Wear that trail rash as a badge of honour.

Way to go, I am jealous!

Dan
2005-06-23 2:07 PM

Hey,

Great race and fantastic race report.  I enjoyed reading all the details.  Congratulations on your first 1/2 IM and good luck with your continued training.  BTW, very impressive time!

2005-06-23 10:59 PM

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Wow...I'm very impressed.  It sounds like you felt great about your race from start to end.  Keeping your head straight is so important...I figured that out last week.  I only hope I can do as well as you when I take on my first 1/2 IM in September.  So, when is the full IM...meet you in Kona in a couple years?
2005-06-24 5:31 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Great race Jen...Sounds like you did everything right....and more importantly that you enjoyed yourself.  FINALLY someone else with a wee little bike   I ride a 47cm QR and the bike number at St Anthonys was HUGE...it took up about half my top tube.  Usually my bike is hanging and swinging from the bike rack

2005-06-24 8:07 PM

New user

NYC
Congratulations on a great race, and thank you for the detailed report.
2005-06-25 4:24 PM

Master
Central, IL
Wow! Great report. Great effort against some Tri Studs and Studessess! You should be really proud of this. Nice Job!
2005-06-25 8:19 PM

Master
Kingston Ontario

Fantastic job, Jen!! Thanks for sharing.  Glad it wasn't hotter than that for you.  A job well done on a tough course.

What's next on the race agenda?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Victoria International Half Ironman Rss Feed