United States
Set-up, Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 14m 56s
Overall Rank = 57/101
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/25
Pre-race routine:

My daughter caught a stomach virus on Thursday evening so I'd been up at odd hours and tending a sick child all weekend. Lets just say I wasn't roaring to go Sunday morning. But my daughter was starting to feel human again and my husband encouraged me to go, so left at 5:15am to drive up to Henderson. Very nice drive alone.
Event warmup:

Kind of odd not having anyone at the race with me. Took a gel before leaving transition then I went for a swim.
Swim
  • 37m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Why can't my pool times translate to open water??!?!?! This is getting frustrating.

The water was too warm for wetsuits and that suited me just fine. I had debated not bringing mine regardless since my lower back has been hurting when I wear it.

I was in the second wave which I liked. I hate getting to T1 and having everyone gone. It was very windy out there with a lot of chop. My sighting was fine but I just can't hang with the group. In the last 700 yds the men from the wave behind me started to catch up. :(

The course was marked with only 2 triangle buoys and so was the map, however, once out on the course you had to make a 3rd turn around a sighting buoy before heading back to shore. I miss marked this a little and started heading towards the wiggly man after the second turn, so I had to correct a little there, but not much.

THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING!!!
What would you do differently?:

I wish I knew! Just keep practicing I guess.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Wouldn't you know it, my Garmin was D.O.A. I wasted time putting the darn thing on my wrist since I don't have a bike mount on the TT bike yet. Plus I had to rinse off my feet. But overall it was okay. Paul would have been disappointed with my mount but I haven't mastered the running mount with the shoes on the bike yet so that is for another race.

Keep working on the mount.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 52s
  • 25 miles
  • 18.55 mile/hr
Comments:

With the Garmin down I was racing totally blind. Not a very comfortable feeling. I was going purely on R.P.E. and memory feel on the cadance. It was very hot and windy so I was trying to monitor my fluids and nutrition intake carefully. For a five mile stretch there was a strong headwind. I'd be surprised if my speed wasn't down to 15mph. Reminded me of White Lake, pedal pedal pedal and not go anywhere. Strong side gusts too. Had to catch my stearing a few times.

Geared down to climb as usual. On a series of rollers I would get passed by big guys on the first hill but I'd catch up on the descent and pass him on the flat and then stay ahead on the next climb. I LOVE MY EQUINOX!!!!

Nutrition: finished the 16oz of Cytomax; took a gel before their water handoff and one as I re-entered the park for the run. I took their water and chased my gel then poured the rest on me.

Have a computer that worked.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

The racks were placed way too close together which made it difficult for people to get in/out of them. The guy in front of me knocked a bike down while entering the rack. I had to carry mine in just to fit. Plus who ever put the number range signs on the inside racks faced them out so you couldn't read them as you ran down the center. Consequently I ran down the wrong row.

Once I finally got to my bike rack some rude gentleman put his bike in my spot so I had to fit my bike in further down the row and then work underneath his bike to get to my gear.

Not my best T2.
Run
  • 1h 12m 25s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

It was already in the 90's at this point and crowded, but I like being on the course with lots of runners. I started off slow (that is a relative term when you look at my overall pace) just to get my legs back under me. Probably slower than I should have but I didn't have my Garmin and was more concerned about overall time, not race pace. The course was a double loop so I used the first lap to get the lay of the land and assess how I as feeling. On a good day a 10K takes me a little over an hour but I knew that wasn't happening today. I was cool with that though. I walked through the aide stations to refuel and focused on staying cool and just doing my best. The heat was really getting to lots of people; those needing medical attention and yacking on the side of the road. No Thanks. After mile 4 I had 25 minutes to meet my time goal so no more walking breaks. I picked up the pace some and focused on the job at hand. It wasn't a ground breaking run but for once it was nice not to be a suffer fest either. Injuries were all gone and it was simply a matter of maintaining temperature and assessing my fitness level at this point.

The aide stations were great, lots of water, HEED and cups of ice. I drank water and poured it on myself and put the ice in my hat and down my sports bra at every station. The ice would rattle around in my top and it sounded like dice. One guy even laughed and said, "hey baby what's shaken?" The last aide station switched to handing out orange slices and whole water bottles. That was great.

About 2 miles in I noticed I had nasty friction burns on my lats/arm pits. Ouch. Use Body Glide next time. I could laugh and say my lats are getting so big and that is what caused the burn, but to be honest it was probably spend extra time on the swim and being soaking wet all day.
Post race
Warm down:

Goal was 3:15 and my time was 3:14:56 so not bad. Overall I had a great time and am very pleased with this race. After my last few races being such unqualified dissasters I'd forgotten how much fun Olympics can be. I'm in a pretty good place to start Augusta training. I know what's been working well and where I need to focus more. Overall I set a new Olympic PR as well as a bike PR. Just imagine what I could have done if I'd had my bike computer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, lack of running base.

Event comments:

This was a great race. Clean water, fast bike course, good run, well stocked aide stations and nice volunteers. Post race there was a misting tent and Feshly made subs with fruit, chips and soft drinks. My only complaint was the bike rack rows were too close together. I'm looking forward to returning next year.

Last updated: 2010-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:51 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/25
Overall: 65/101
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: counter clockwise box (even though the map was a triangle)
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:52 | 25 miles | 18.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/25
Overall: 40/101
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: This was a fast course with lots of descents and a few gradual false flats. Nothing major.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:12:25 | 06.21 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/101
Course: Double loop with 3 aide stations. About half of the course was shaded. Mostly flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 9:48 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Subject: Kerr Lake Triathlon

2010-06-07 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2904920

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Kerr Lake Triathlon
Way to go, girl!! I cannot even fathom racing in heat like that!! You really did great!!

Re: the Garmin, I DO have a mount on my bike but in my race this weekend I wore it on my wrist for the bike so I wouldn't have to take it off the bike.

Love that you love the Olympic distance. I've only done one but thought it was BRUTAL -- a long way to race HARD (much prefer the pacing of a HIM!). You are in great shape for Augusta. Go for it, girl! So happy to see you racing again!!! Canada will be here before you know it, LOL! Seems like a lifetime away now, I know... 
2010-06-07 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Good job Tracy.  It's early in the year to be used to those temps.  Just blame the swim on being long, that's what I always do : )
2010-06-07 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
AWESOME PR!!!!   CONGRATS!!!  big difference in my pool times and ows times as well.  yeah it sucks!  but we'll work on it and of course rock that down river swim at augusta.

whats shaking... haha!
2010-06-07 10:33 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Tracy

Nice race in some pretty damn tough conditions.
I am with you on the swim. I am improving in the pool, but get worse in the lake. It was frustrating to get turned around at the last sight buoy yesterday. Swimming extra when it is not going great puts a little bit of a bad taste in the mouth before riding into a furnace.
Sounds like you are rebuilding nicely from your injury last year (You did get hurt did you not?)
This sounds like you are setting up Augusta pretty good.
Good Luck going forward.
2010-06-07 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro,NC
Great in tough conditions. Pretty amazing you met your time goals with the heat. I had to laugh about the ice noise.

John

2010-06-07 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Hey! You beat your goal...way to go!  Sometimes I think flying by the seat of your pants with no technology is a good thing.  Really teaches you about how to listen to your body.  Obviously you did a good job!

2010-06-07 11:13 AM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX

Nice job Tracy!  Way to PR the race and meet your goal time as well!  Keep at it and an IM will be easy for you!

2010-06-07 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario

Nice going Sugar. Even without all your electronics you crushed your target time. Ok "crushed" might be a wee bit strong but a great performance anyway.

Edited by Redknight 2010-06-07 11:49 AM
2010-06-07 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Wherever the trail takes me, WA.

Great job... Heat?  What is that.  You are swimming in water that is too warm, and our temps are still in the mid 50's!  Crazy!

I am happy to see you racing again!  I love it!

2010-06-07 12:51 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Nice race Tracey! Beat your goal in some hot,hot conditions.
Too warm for wetsuits ...must be nice!!
You'll be ready soon enough to kick some Fatty butt in Augusta.

2010-06-07 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Horseheads, NY
Awesome job Tracy.  Way to rock the bike and respect the conditions on the run.  Congrats on the double PR!
2010-06-07 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job meeting your time goal under less than ideal conditions.  I know what you mean about the OWS vs. pool swim....they are just different.  

Congrats on an outstanding effort!
2010-06-09 10:35 AM

User image

Elite
san francisco

Such a great job in what sounds like pretty brutal, hot, windy conditions!  So happy that you are getting your running legs back under you with the winter rehab.  Goes to show what patience and perseverance you have!  Way to go, Tracy!

And I am with you on that pool vs. lake thing. 

2010-06-09 10:44 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Great job! I know how bad that heat was and I had the same problem on saturday. How was it racing without the family there? You said it was odd traveling without them but during the race did it free your mind up a little?

2010-06-10 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2910807

User image

Great race, Tracy! Way to race strong through tough conditions! Running in 90 degree heat sounds brutal, I'm so impressed that you met your goal and PR'd!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kerr Lake Triathlon Rss Feed